Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

Okay here is some more pictures of my visit to The KSC I just put them in a imgur album to make it easier. If anybody wants some info on the photos just let me know and I'll do my best to answer. I got to do pretty much everything there except the tour where you get to go up to the historic launch pads so I will have to do that next time.
http://imgur.com/a/4a0GU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Another win for the TSA.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNO-AzPxS4U&feature=youtu.be
drat terrists don't know where to stop. Using a toddler in a wheelchair? Dirty.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 19, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Swabbing the toddler's hands with an ion sniffer to see if he's been handling explosives? :what:

Remember, you're paying that guy's salary.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Sagebrush posted:

Swabbing the toddler's hands with an ion sniffer to see if he's been handling explosives? :what:

Remember, you're paying that guy's salary.

This is nothing new, they did that to my son in 2003 when he was 3. TSA has been loving retarded since day 1.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Godholio posted:

This is nothing new, they did that to my son in 2003 when he was 3. TSA has been loving retarded since day 1.

You have a kid? :stare:

(honestly surprised, I had pegged you a bit younger)

Interior shots of VAB :circlefap: I really want to see it in person.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Playing devil's advocate here, but what if a terrorist had hidden explosives in that wheelchair, figuring that TSA would never suspect a kid like that? Drug traffickers have certainly done far worse.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

grover posted:

Playing devil's advocate here, but what if a terrorist had hidden explosives in that wheelchair, figuring that TSA would never suspect a kid like that? Drug traffickers have certainly done far worse.

What if a terrorist posing as a drug dealer hired a poor Colombian woman to be a "drug mule", but the balloon of cocaine she stuck up her rear end was actually remote detonated C4? And when she got pulled away by the TSA and reported to ICE and the FBI, it blew up as that was the plan all along?

...hang on, let me call Tom Clancy.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

grover posted:

Then it would be the very first time a TSA agent has ever caught someone trying to smuggle explosives through an airport security checkpoint.

I always like to link people to this article because it shows quite clearly how every single one of the security measures put in place since 9/11 (except reinforced cockpit doors, those were a good idea) provides no real security and can be subverted by any average idiot. If someone really wanted to blow up a plane, they don't need to hide bombs inside children's wheelchairs -- they could just get a job working on the tarmac and have someone huck a backpack bag full of explosives over the fence.

It's a multibillion dollar program that has failed in the most spectacular manner: the airport screeners are no more likely to catch a terrorist than they were before, but the illusion of increased security means that no one can ever de-fund it, while the only people being inconvenienced are toddlers and the elderly and other zero-threat average citizens.

[e]

Nebakenezzer posted:

The Apollo module is so frickin' tiny. Also, the SR-71 and the Saturn 5: two of the great engineering feats of the twentieth century. Were they designed entirely by slide rules or were some computers involved?

I like to think of it as "three men living in about as much space as there is inside an SUV, but with one little porthole." Fun.

And I'm fairly sure that there were early computers involved in the design of the SR-71, but I don't know about the Saturn V. Have to ask Dr. von Braun.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 19, 2012

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Gunbus posted:

Okay here is some more pictures of my visit to The KSC I just put them in a imgur album to make it easier. If anybody wants some info on the photos just let me know and I'll do my best to answer. I got to do pretty much everything there except the tour where you get to go up to the historic launch pads so I will have to do that next time.
http://imgur.com/a/4a0GU

The Apollo module is so frickin' tiny. Also, the SR-71 and the Saturn 5: two of the great engineering feats of the twentieth century. Were they designed entirely by slide rules or were some computers involved?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

I like to think of it as "three men living in about as much space as there is inside an SUV, but with one little porthole." Fun.

I was under the impression it was a lot smaller, but it's 218 cubic feet, while an Escalade is only only 172 cubic feet.

Edit: imagine spending a week in the back of a Ford E-150 rapevan (238 cubic feet) with three other dudes.

Cocoa Crispies fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 19, 2012

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
No way the interior space in an Apollo capsule is as large as a Rapevan. Would be closer to the cab of a light pickup, I think. Is that 218 cubic feet including cargo bins and the like?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

How much space is there when the lunar module is connected? At least on the way to the moon they'd have two "rooms", right?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Sagebrush posted:

Then it would be the very first time a TSA agent has ever caught someone trying to smuggle explosives through an airport security checkpoint.

I always like to link people to this article because it shows quite clearly how every single one of the security measures put in place since 9/11 (except reinforced cockpit doors, those were a good idea) provides no real security and can be subverted by any average idiot. If someone really wanted to blow up a plane, they don't need to hide bombs inside children's wheelchairs -- they could just get a job working on the tarmac and have someone huck a backpack bag full of explosives over the fence.

It's a multibillion dollar program that has failed in the most spectacular manner: the airport screeners are no more likely to catch a terrorist than they were before, but the illusion of increased security means that no one can ever de-fund it, while the only people being inconvenienced are toddlers and the elderly and other zero-threat average citizens.

Every time I fly I play a little game I like to call "If I was a bad guy..." Every time there's usually at least 2 or 3 clear vulnerabilities I identify in addition to the standard ones everyone knows about...and that's not even beginning to address the issues with the non-passenger scenarios like the flightline worker/backpack hucker one you postulated. And even THAT assumes we are talking about striking an aircraft as opposed to just targeting a ticket counter or (if you are a bad guy with a sense of irony) the usually extremely long queue before the security checkpoint. In short the TSA are easily the most incompetent government agency out there, and as someone who works for an arm of the government that is easily in the top 10 if not the top 5 of that list, that's really saying something.

Regarding Apollo, I'm guessing that is including storage lockers and the like, and also remember that there was the "passageway" (I use the term loosely) leading to the docking tunnel area, which would add a little bit.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

Nebakenezzer posted:

The Apollo module is so frickin' tiny.

Imagine spending 14 DAYS in this with one of your colleagues:

http://imgur.com/a/4a0GU#5

ala Gemini 7

The Apollo command module would be like a palace!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Styles Bitchley posted:

ala Gemini 7

Jesus God :psyduck:

14 days going around the earth in a Miata.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

grover posted:

No way the interior space in an Apollo capsule is as large as a Rapevan. Would be closer to the cab of a light pickup, I think. Is that 218 cubic feet including cargo bins and the like?

There's a substantial amount of space behind/under the seats. It wasn't roomy, but it was nowhere near as cramped as that picture makes it look.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
He wasn't up there that long but it doesn't look like there's a whole lot of room in there either.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Sagebrush posted:

How much space is there when the lunar module is connected? At least on the way to the moon they'd have two "rooms", right?

IIRC, they usually didn't access the lunar module in flight. It requires more power to heat that space. And leaves you open to more places that could be punctured en route. That said.. they did use it as a lifeboat. once.

Yes, Apollo was built using slide rules.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Space Gopher posted:

There's a substantial amount of space behind/under the seats. It wasn't roomy, but it was nowhere near as cramped as that picture makes it look.

Can you actually access that space though, or is it just sitting back their taunting you? It doesn't look like you could even get out of the seat to me.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

dissss posted:

Can you actually access that space though, or is it just sitting back their taunting you? It doesn't look like you could even get out of the seat to me.

As I understand it, that's where they'd store stuff like provisions, moon rocks and the like. Basically, a space trunk.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Styles Bitchley posted:

ala Gemini 7

I loved an interview I saw with Lovell and he was reminiscing about Gemini 7 and how finally after about 6 or 7 days Frank Borman told him he couldn't hold it anymore and had to take a huge poo poo. Jim said "Dammit Frank, can't you just hold on a bit longer??!!"

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Ill throw in my photos from when I was interning at NASA. Facebook link because im too lazy to reexport and rehost all the photos.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.435982560773.219840.778850773&type=3&l=f718231ccd

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

dissss posted:

I'm fairly certain that the seats could collapse and fold out of the way, since you obviously don't need them for most of the trip.

In this video you can see that while it's small, there's a fair bit of space inside, and the seats are up in the narrowest part of the capsule so photos of that area are a bit misleading.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fs8gkiap6U

I gotta watch Apollo 13 again, now. And The Right Stuff.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

dissss posted:

Yes. In fact, the navigator's station (complete with flight controls) is down there in what looks like the footwell from the perspective of someone sitting in one of the crew couches. With the lack of room in there, they couldn't afford to make a bunch of volume into nothing but a cargo compartment. As far as getting in and out of the couches goes, weightlessness would make things easier, and there's always the "you get to go to the loving moon" thing motivating you as well.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Sadi posted:

Ill throw in my photos from when I was interning at NASA. Facebook link because im too lazy to reexport and rehost all the photos.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.435982560773.219840.778850773&type=3&l=f718231ccd

This is pretty dang awesome.

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!

Sadi posted:

You are a good photographer. Thanks for posting those.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Sadi posted:

What is aerogel?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Nebakenezzer posted:

What is aerogel?
Aerogel is a very lightweight silica gel. Until a few weeks ago, it was the lightest substance on earth, actually lighter than air. Has some other amazing properties, too.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Nebakenezzer posted:

What is aerogel?

It's a really interesting class of compounds where you start with a gel, and you evaporate the liquid component while leaving the solid component in-state. You wind up with this solid structure that's barely denser than air, has enormous surface area, and is almost entirely impervious to heat. They're commonly made from silica gels, and NASA uses them for insulation, but they can be made from ceramics, carbon, all sorts of starters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHnen2nSmDY

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

Phanatic posted:

It's a really interesting class of compounds where you start with a gel, and you evaporate the liquid component while leaving the solid component in-state. You wind up with this solid structure that's barely denser than air, has enormous surface area, and is almost entirely impervious to heat. They're commonly made from silica gels, and NASA uses them for insulation, but they can be made from ceramics, carbon, all sorts of starters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHnen2nSmDY

Pretty much. IIRC 1cm^3 has the same surface area as a football field. Aerogels made from carbon are how they are making those new super crazy super capacitors.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Is manufacturing just insanely expensive? It seems like the posterchild for amazing space tech that could do wonders on Earth. Why are houses and cars not full of this stuff?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Godholio posted:

Is manufacturing just insanely expensive? It seems like the posterchild for amazing space tech that could do wonders on Earth. Why are houses and cars not full of this stuff?
It's about $50 per cubic inch, unfortunately. With rather limits its use to niche applications.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

grover posted:

Until a few weeks ago, it was the lightest substance on earth

Well, that's a hell of a hook. What is it now?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Godholio posted:

Is manufacturing just insanely expensive?

More or less. The big deal is removing the liquid solvent from the gel, you can't just put it in an oven and dry it out, because then the forces exerted on the structure as the solvent moves through as it converts from a liquid to a gas action will collapse the gel. So, basically, they have to put the lump of gel in a pressure chamber filled with the same solvent, and crank the pressure/temperature so that the solvent exists in a supercritical state. Then you can draw off the solvent without it ever going through a liquid->gas conversion, there's not really a difference between the two states above that supercritical point.

That's pretty simplified, but the bottom line is that up until recently you've been limited to a batch process where the size of your pressure vessel limits how much aerogel you can make in a batch. There are some new ones that have carbon nanotubes integrated into the solid structure, and those can be freeze-dried, but it's still not a simple process.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

grover posted:

It's about $50 per cubic inch, unfortunately. With rather limits its use to niche applications.

That and its super delicate. Dont get me wrong, its strong for its weight but in any sort of dynamic application it would probably be broken down by vibrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Sadi posted:

You had the best intern job. I'm insanely jealous.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Phy posted:

Well, that's a hell of a hook. What is it now?
Nickel microlattice.

It's pretty cool stuff. They make it by building a polymer lattice using rapid prototyping techniques, coat it all with a super-thin layer of nickle, and then dissolve all the polymer.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Wow, cool! Sounds like good stuff to make airships with :shepface:

I kinda figured the cost, though. In Sadi's photos, it's coming out of a tin that model paint could come out of.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

Nebakenezzer posted:

Wow, cool! Sounds like good stuff to make airships with :shepface:

I kinda figured the cost, though. In Sadi's photos, it's coming out of a tin that model paint could come out of.

Haha, we actually had a 5 gallon bucket full of it. I just didnt need more for my experiments.

It was seriously the most fun ive had in my life at a job. I want to get back in there full time so bad it hurts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If you're a decent machinist (to make the supercritical drying equipment) and can come up with a good enough reason to buy the precursor chemicals, you can make aerogel at home, actually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X24np30GS2o