Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Yodzilla posted:

Warning spoilers but goddamn hilarious:

Holy poo poo can't stop laughing.

So I think I'm putting down Yakuza 4 for now. Just in time to get Yakuza: Dead Souls this Friday! Yay!

Also, Journey is fantastic. I'm willing to put down $15 if it means more games like this get made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Morpheus posted:

So I think I'm putting down Yakuza 4 for now. Just in time to get Yakuza: Dead Souls this Friday! Yay!

Why on earth would you put down Yakuza 4 unless it just became too awesome for you to handle? I mean, you are only human, I suppose. :v:

Also thanks for the tip bbc, gonna snag me some rare metal and make some badass scopes tonight. And I agree, I don't really get a lot of the barrel options, but I guess there might be some weird niche reason some of them exist? I have no idea.

Question about the clips which have the || type expansion on the back - uhhh, why? Is there a sighting addon later that makes use of these, or am I really supposed to bolt on a sight adapter [one with a regular sight port on top] then bolt a sight.. behind my clip? :psyduck: I'm guessing there's going to be a part eventually that it'd make sense to bolt on behind my clip, but... yeah.

... wait, did I just say "make sense" in the context of RoF gun customization? :v:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Code Jockey posted:

am I really supposed to bolt on a sight adapter [one with a regular sight port on top] then bolt a sight.. behind my clip? :psyduck:

There are worse options.

ZanderZ
Apr 7, 2011

by T. Mascis

mendipbus posted:

Yeah I am enjoying it at present, have only played online once and got my arse kicked, so am playing through the world tour at present.

Only problem I am finding is that no one on my friends list has bought this yet :(

Not sure if there is a goon ps3 database for this as of yet?

I am dfish667 on psn if anyone wants to add me?

I'll add you later. Once you hit level 20, give online play a shot. It's much better when you're around the same level range as everyone else.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Stelas posted:

There are worse options.

Wait it lets you bolt barrels on vertically? Or is this just taken before it tells you "no, gently caress you, you can't do that"?

But yeah this is pretty much rof.jpg

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Code Jockey posted:

Why on earth would you put down Yakuza 4 unless it just became too awesome for you to handle? I mean, you are only human, I suppose. :v:

Because I really don't want to play Koi Koi for the challenge. And I have a depressing number of backlogged games that I want to play :(.

When I invent a device that allows me to exist outside of time, the first thing I will do is complete every game I own in a nanosecond.

Then I will use it for good (or evil, depending), but first: videogames.

Code Jockey posted:

Wait it lets you bolt barrels on vertically? Or is this just taken before it tells you "no, gently caress you, you can't do that"?

If you can screw it on, you can shoot it.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Code Jockey posted:

You can put anything anywhere so long as it connects to the proper junctions, basically. Barrel direction doesn't matter for poo poo so long as it fits in the grid and has the proper connection.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Code Jockey posted:

As long as the connectors line up properly when you rotate, you can do whatever you want. Pretty sure you can wrangle a gun that would shoot the shooter, if you really want.

e: dang beaten like crazy.

So Tales of Graces F is waiting for me at home. Gonna take a break from an awful anime RPG to play an awesome one instead. And then Yakuza: Dead Souls is dropping through my door tomorrow, and then Warriors Orochi 3 after that. This month's pretty packed.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 19, 2012

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Stelas posted:

There are worse options.

I think my favorite part of this is that there are barrels whose ends are attached to grips.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Everyone posted:

Barrels barrels barrels

Oh god I know what I'm doing when I get home. Why have I been so conservative so far, with my 4-5 barrels per gun?

Vashyron and Zephyr gonna look like they're carrying two giant pipe organs.

Pipe organs that kill people.

e. At Chapter 14, how close am I to beating the game, if I do everything there is to do? Maybe not platting it, but all the combat and sidemissions? I really want to play Dead Souls already but I can't put RoF down. It's too good.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
^^ There are 16 chapters, and from there on in the side missions are the short bits. Probably another 4-6 hours, discounting Arena time.
I have one more boss to kill but I won't have time until tomorrow. Having a social life sucks sometimes :(

The sights don't have to line up either- I'm pretty sure you can't actually aim at least one of my guns.

I imagine customizing your guns in RoF doesn't actually do anything but make them look cooler and everyone runs off the 40k Ork philosophy.
. . . And now I'm imagining Leanne leading her little three-person WAAUGH on a reign of terror through Basil.

That's not really a bad description of what happens in the later chapters, actually.

bbcisdabomb fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 19, 2012

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Yeah my sights have been pretty whacked out for a while now. You'd need a ladder to see out of some of them, anyway. :v:

Also 4-6 hours isn't bad and yeah gonna hold off on the arena unless I grind shock grenades in there. I've... I've lost entire weekends to this game. Like the last few weekends that I've been home. 4-6 hours is nooothing. :)

Sad it'll be over, though. :(

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yodzilla posted:

Warning spoilers but goddamn hilarious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t0uCWjQ6Og

Ooh poo poo, i'm dying over here. This way to funny. I wish I got that glitch when I played.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

I said come in! posted:

Ooh poo poo, i'm dying over here. This way to funny. I wish I got that glitch when I played.

I don't think it would've been so funny if the glitch didn't also cause the character model to yell. Had that happened to me I might've died laughing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is a good enough explanation

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Stelas posted:

I just want to make sure I have this right. That labyrinth of barrels makes your shots come out faster?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Suaimhneas posted:

I just want to make sure I have this right. That labyrinth of barrels makes your shots come out faster?

No, that labyrinth of barrels makes continued aiming have more of an effect. Scopes and sighs make your shots come out faster.

That makes a whole lot more sense than I thought it would.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
More EA server and content shutdowns coming April 13.

PS3 games affected:
EA Create
EA Sports Active 2.0
The Godfather II
EA MMA
Need for Speed: ProStreet
The Saboteur (loss of The Midnight Club access)
Spare Parts

I don't know how keeping a piece of DLC up costs EA money, even if it is mostly for :sonia:. The server to redeem codes for Midnight Club is going down. Unknown if the DLC will go away in the Playstation Store as well.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 20, 2012

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Saboteur is EA's best game of this generation.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

So, just let this sink in:

EA put a code in with first-hand copies of The Saboteur that unlocks some content that's already on the disc, but requires you to log in via the EA server to do so - even on PSN/XBLA.

They're taking down that server. Now, if you buy the game first-hand, you can't access that content. Ever. And they're not putting out a patch to address this, either.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

They could do a patch, but EA closed the studio that made the game. :v:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

I said come in! posted:

I had so much fun playing it, and I'm sad that Pandemic was shut down because that means we likely won't see a game like it again.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't have The Saboteur anymore, but I don't remember needing to log in to EA every time I played it.

I said come in! posted:

Saboteur was good, but it's no Tetris. :colbert:

EA, don't you dare shut down online services for Tetris.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Dominic White posted:

EA put a code in with first-hand copies of The Saboteur that unlocks some content that's already on the disc, but requires you to log in via the EA server to do so - even on PSN/XBLA.

They're taking down that server. Now, if you buy the game first-hand, you can't access that content. Ever. And they're not putting out a patch to address this, either.

I don't think it was on the disc.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

blackguy32 posted:

I don't think it was on the disc.

I'm pretty sure it is, but even if it isn't, EA has then gone and set up it's own DLC framework outside of PSN/XBL, and is now proving that they can shut it off on a whim. It's a seriously lovely way to treat your customers either way.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Yeah that's incredibly crappy [and it won't ever stop will it]

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Dominic White posted:

I'm pretty sure it is, but even if it isn't, EA has then gone and set up it's own DLC framework outside of PSN/XBL, and is now proving that they can shut it off on a whim. It's a seriously lovely way to treat your customers either way.

Why is this, by the way? I knew they were distancing themselves from Steam on PC, but I didn't think tehy were doing the same for console games.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Crap does this mean I should fire up The Saboteur right quick and get in on whatever's going away? I just polished of GTA IV finally and started up Rayman Origins and am right in the middle of Skies of Arcadia Legends on the Gamecube, and I'm a bit burnt out on open-world action after GTA IV and Red Dead Redemption back to back (and Liberty City Stories, I just remembered.)

Too many goddamn games.

A big dumb baby
May 2, 2003

Code Jockey posted:

Oh god I know what I'm doing when I get home. Why have I been so conservative so far, with my 4-5 barrels per gun?

Never EVER be conservative with your gun configurations. Clip on every single thing you can fit. It's like a puzzle mini-game where the reward is killing dudes faster.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

Discount Viscount posted:

Crap does this mean I should fire up The Saboteur right quick and get in on whatever's going away? I just polished of GTA IV finally and started up Rayman Origins and am right in the middle of Skies of Arcadia Legends on the Gamecube, and I'm a bit burnt out on open-world action after GTA IV and Red Dead Redemption back to back (and Liberty City Stories, I just remembered.)

Too many goddamn games.

If I remember right all the DLC got you was more hiding spots and the ability to see some polygonal French ta-tas.

Edit: Some quick research reveals:

'All fresh copies of the game will ship with a code to download DLC, called "The Midnight Show," for free. The pack contains new Parisian hiding spots, a new minigame and, for better or for worse, the option to unlock nudity in the game.'

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Discount Viscount posted:

The answer is yes, regardless of any DLC concerns.

Seriously, though, unless video game boobs are a big deal, it doesn't really matter. You're not really missing out on much by not having the hiding spots or mini-game. You get a new car from the mini game (and some contraband afterwards I think) but you can get better cars without much trouble.

Even more seriously, play The Saboteur. It's pretty awesome.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Tamagod Sushi posted:

If I remember right all the DLC got you was more hiding spots and the ability to see some polygonal French ta-tas.

Edit: Some quick research reveals:

'All fresh copies of the game will ship with a code to download DLC, called "The Midnight Show," for free. The pack contains new Parisian hiding spots, a new minigame and, for better or for worse, the option to unlock nudity in the game.'

I'm pretty sure it was on disk, because there was an option in-game in the options menu to enable nudity, but you could only change it if you downloaded the unlock code. So either it was all on-disk, or the disk was made under the assumption that that those features would be available on launch, but not on disk for some reason.

The biggest insult about the Saboteur is not only was it the best game Pandemic had ever done, they were fired the second the game went gold, so before the game even hit shelves, the chance of any further patches/expansions were gone.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yechezkel posted:

I don't have The Saboteur anymore, but I don't remember needing to log in to EA every time I played it.

You don't, but the Midnight Club code is redeemed in-game, not through Live/PSN, so it's verified over EA servers.

They're taking down the authentication server for the codes.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

ChetReckless posted:

The answer is yes, regardless of any DLC concerns.

Seriously, though, unless video game boobs are a big deal, it doesn't really matter. You're not really missing out on much by not having the hiding spots or mini-game. You get a new car from the mini game (and some contraband afterwards I think) but you can get better cars without much trouble.

Even more seriously, play The Saboteur. It's pretty awesome.

Okay not too big of a deal then, on par with missing out on the Mario Kart Wii tournaments with special content or something. My copy is used any way so this doesn't seem to affect me.

I did watch Army of Shadows last week, so it'd be a thematic continuation from that. OTOH, that movie doesn't exactly glorify life in the French Resistance.

Aafter
Apr 14, 2009

A is for After.
I got a PS3 a few months ago and I don't have many games. I just got the 'buy 2 pre-owned games, get one free' coupon from the GameStop rewards thing. I'm not really sure what to pick up. I'll probably grab the first Uncharted as I've never played any of them. Other than that, I dunno.

What I do have: MGS4, GoW3, Disgaea 4, Amalur, SH: Downpour.

e: I'm also looking to not spend much so older games, preferably. And are there any great RPGs aside from Skyrim?

Aafter fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 19, 2012

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Just chiming in that after finally getting my PS3 online I bought and played through Journey. Easily one of the best videogame experiences of my life. Dropping this in the PS3 thread because if you own a PS3, you might wanna check this game out.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Aafter posted:

I got a PS3 a few months ago and I don't have many games. I just got the 'buy 2 pre-owned games, get one free' coupon from the GameStop rewards thing. I'm not really sure what to pick up. I'll probably grab the first Uncharted as I've never played any of them. Other than that, I dunno.

What I do have: MGS4, GoW3, Disgaea 4, Amalur, SH: Downpour.

e: I'm also looking to not spend much so older games, preferably. And are there any great RPGs aside from Skyrim?

Yakuza 3 and 4. :) 4 should be down in the 25-30 range now I'm sure.

Also, if you can find it [good loving luck it took me close to a year], Resonance of Fate. I got mine for $25 I think?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Aafter posted:

And are there any great RPGs aside from Skyrim?
People are really digging Tales of Graces F. So if you've ever enjoyed a Tales game before, you might be into it. Aside from that, the last 4+ pages have been people discussing Resonance of Fate - an RPG by Sega which slipped under the radar but is actually pretty fun and cheapish ~$20.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Dominic White posted:

It gets better. The code that was in new copies of the game expired a year and a half ago. Anyone who bought the game since then and wanted The Midnight Club content paid for it and is now having access taken away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Am I overreacting by saying I want to give all future Capcom games a pass now, after reading about this? http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/2012/03/19/hackers-unlock-street-fighter-x-tekkens-12-new-characters-use-them-on-xbox-live/

Capcom announced that there will be 12 new fighters for Street Fighter vs Tekken, and they promised the characters weren't already on the game disc. Turns out they are, and players have found a way to access them on the Xbox 360 version and play them. So when you buy the game disc, you do in fact have this downloadable content, already finished, and ready to be played, but you have to pay for it first.

I was interested in this game, and Dragon's Dogma, but now? I don't want to support a developer/publisher that does things like this. The Mass Effect 3 DLC fiasco was somewhat understandable, because not all of the content was on the game disc, but this is a whole different level of scummy.

• Locked thread