Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I remember using the debug code to get to The Tube, and then Welcome to the Machine hosed my poo poo UP. Then I somehow hit a glitch that made the screen change color like when you die, except it kept scrolling all the way to the end and I got to the final boss.

The debug code also has an invincibility option. When the Queen eats you, you don't die; instead, you get sucked into her mouth, the screen turns blood red, and Ecco does his "damage" scream over and over and over. Bitches piss and moan about Amnesia and Dead Space and poo poo but those games ain't poo poo compared to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I was scared enough just going through stage after stage of caves, thinking I'd never see the surface again.

That could be a pretty good episode.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I would pay hard cash money to see Arino vs Echo.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Gutcruncher posted:

Ecco is literally one of the most atmospheric and creepy game series' Ive ever played. It was a game about dolphins in the 90s, the height of our Dolphin Love phase. Clearly this game is gonna be happy light hearted fun times about how great dolphins are.

HAHA NOPE!

Also anyone who hasnt played it on Sega CD should really give it a try. The soundtrack really helps the atmosphere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D56v2jyiU7Y

Edit: Frustrated by Welcome to the Machine before? Imagine doing it when you are constantly ending up offscreen!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oraECJKJqR0

The music seems out of place for the graphics/gameplay, like someone is playing their own soundtrack on top of the game. I do have a soft spot for genesis music though. Ecco 2 especially has a ton of great tracks, who could replace songs like this?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk72RMv9d0s

The Ecco games are probably one of the only series where it's perfectly normal to feel both love and absolute fear at the same time.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Ledneh posted:

Honestly I kind of want to play it a little for myself just to see if it's as... obtuse as it seems from the episode.

That and like I said I dig the music :v:

Legacy of the Wizard is definitely worth it. I'm currently playing the Famicom version and partially cheesing through with a walkthrough and it still manages to bust my chops. Some of the level design is malicious trolling and it's possible to get stuck. Luckily it's usually just a 5 minutes trip from the surface back to where you failed. The game world is huge anyways.

I see myself loving this game as a kid but it really is one of those games you need a strategy guide to beat it.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Kiranamos posted:

The music seems out of place for the graphics/gameplay, like someone is playing their own soundtrack on top of the game.

This was always one of the biggest problems with Sega CD games was that only the music was enhanced. You still had the same low quality sound effects and it just sounded bad. The was especially true if the game was a straight port with music added (like the Ecco games).

My personal favorite Sega CD soundtrack probably goes to the Terminator game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-utO7xpuZdA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnGt2w6JHOw

though the Eccos were pretty good as well.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Dominic White posted:

That entire series is just plain nuts. Especially the Dreamcast/PS2 game, Defender of The Future. They got David Brin (who had written sci-fi about dolphins before) to script it, and it was time-travel all over the place. Just to top it off, they got Tom Baker - the trippiest of all the Dr Who's - to narrate it.

Dolphin sci-fi is a thing that exists? :psyduck:

Gutcruncher posted:

Also anyone who hasnt played it on Sega CD should really give it a try. The soundtrack really helps the atmosphere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D56v2jyiU7Y

Aww, Ecco looked so sad and lost when all his friends got sucked up into spac-WHAT?! :psypop:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
It's pretty amazing how many people havent played or know of the batshitness of Ecco.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/34274/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/34319/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/34287/

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Bocc Kob posted:

So long and thanks for all the fish!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I had no idea Ecco was like that until a few years ago. As a kid, I always assumed it was just a lame Free Willy cash-in, and I didn't like Free Willy either (honestly, who did? How was that movie popular??).

edit: I realize Ecco came first, but I probably didn't hear of it until later.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Mar 19, 2012

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

JamMasterJim posted:

While I would appreciate Arino struggling at fighting games while he is getting a healthy dose of KOKO DESU KA or Guile walking forward and doing Flashkicks, the beatdowns can get even more repetitive than quest of Ki

I'd say the most interesting fighting game challenge he could do would be to finish Super Story Mode in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure on PSX, mostly because A) you don't pick your fighter and B) there are a bunch of non-fighting sections including a shooting stage. Then there's that 1 in 128 chance or whatever of something happening at a particular point that lets you just skip the next three stages.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Bocc Kob posted:

The Uplift Universe is a sci fi classic.

The thing about Ecco is that the aliens come out of nowhere in the last few levels. I mean, I knew that I was fighting aliens. I have no idea that they would be nightmare inducing monstrosities.

Ugh, the sound of Ecco's scream will live in my head forever.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Bocc Kob posted:

Aside from (or probably inspired by) Brin's Uplift series, there was a talking dolphin on the short-lived but mainstream SeaQuest DSV TV show back in the 90s.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

jyrque posted:

Legacy of the Wizard is definitely worth it. I'm currently playing the Famicom version and partially cheesing through with a walkthrough and it still manages to bust my chops. Some of the level design is malicious trolling and it's possible to get stuck. Luckily it's usually just a 5 minutes trip from the surface back to where you failed. The game world is huge anyways.

I see myself loving this game as a kid but it really is one of those games you need a strategy guide to beat it.

Yeah it's a very interesting game but a bad choice for a challenge. The big hook is figuring out how to deal with that vast world and that didn't fit the format for the show.

Gutcruncher posted:

It's pretty amazing how many people havent played or know of the batshitness of Ecco.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/34274/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/34319/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/34287/

Two things: first, I'd recommend the Sonic's Ultiamte Collection before those; it can be easily found for less than $10 and you get just about every first party Genesis game published in the US (Toe Jam and Earl series not included).

But if you do want them on PC they're on sale from Amazon this week even cheaper. And their version includes Toe Jam and Earl 1 and 2.

And FWIW both versions get you Sonic 1 and Bonanza Brothers which Arino challenged. But not Tant-R, the kind of sequel to Bonanza Brothers which Arino played and looks amazing.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Mar 19, 2012

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

Two things: first, I'd recommend the Sonic's Ultiamte Collection before those; it can be easily found for less than $10 and you get just about every first party Genesis game published in the US (Toe Jam and Earl series not included).

But if you do want them on PC they're on sale from Amazon this week even cheaper. And their version includes Toe Jam and Earl 1 and 2.

Also if you're into RPGs, Sonic's Ultimate Collection is the only way to get all the Phantasy Star games on a modern system. Whoever they had working on the Genesis PC ports hasn't gotten around to those yet. :mad:

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

Ledneh posted:

Honestly I kind of want to play it a little for myself just to see if it's as... obtuse as it seems from the episode.

That and like I said I dig the music :v:

I played this game a lot as a kid, and the music was one of my favorite things. There was a Sound Test in the house where I would turn on various songs and just listen to them forever while i did something else.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Probably relevant to the thread's interests: 100 Yen, a documentary about the history of Japanese arcades.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
Gauntlet was one of few NES games I had growing up. I hate this game but the music is amazing, so I pretty much played it only for that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KQkBXjk6w4

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

zari-gani posted:

Gauntlet was one of few NES games I had growing up. I hate this game but the music is amazing, so I pretty much played it only for that.

That reminds me, I don't suppose anyone knows of a Gauntlet type clone that was released for the Sega Master System do they? I have fond memories of this unknown game I used to play at a friends place. He had a SMS II with Alex Kidd built in and we always used to play some multiplayer game that looks vaguely similar to Gauntlet.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Xik posted:

That reminds me, I don't suppose anyone knows of a Gauntlet type clone that was released for the Sega Master System do they? I have fond memories of this unknown game I used to play at a friends place. He had a SMS II with Alex Kidd built in and we always used to play some multiplayer game that looks vaguely similar to Gauntlet.

I thought I knew of one, but then I remembered I was thinking of a TurboGrafx-16 game. However, there was a Sega Master System port of Gauntlet.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

The main creator of Gauntlet did a presentation on making the game recently: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItH-mV32KQY

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Mercury Crusader posted:

I thought I knew of one, but then I remembered I was thinking of a TurboGrafx-16 game. However, there was a Sega Master System port of Gauntlet.

Oh you are right. I just just watched a clip on youtube of the SMS port and I'm pretty certain it wasn't actually Gauntlet, but something very similar. It had that same camera angle. Oh well, I doubt I'll ever find out what game it was.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Xik posted:

Oh you are right. I just just watched a clip on youtube of the SMS port and I'm pretty certain it wasn't actually Gauntlet, but something very similar. It had that same camera angle. Oh well, I doubt I'll ever find out what game it was.

Golden Axe Warrior?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I've always liked watching him react to "strange" western games. For that reason, I'd love to see him take on The Ooze.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAVwFk8tD4I
Also a game with great music. Done by the same guy who did the soundtrack for Comix Zone.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I know they don't do Genesis games that often, but I hope they do Gauntlet 4 one day. Loved that goddam game. :swoon:

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

7c Nickel posted:

I've always liked watching him react to "strange" western games. For that reason, I'd love to see him take on The Ooze.

Also a game with great music. Done by the same guy who did the soundtrack for Comix Zone.

That reminds me, A Boy and His Blob: Trouble on Blobolonia would also make for an interesting "bizarre western game" challenge.

ETA: I was wondering if the graphics were changed in the Famicom version. Sure enough...

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 19, 2012

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

zari-gani posted:

That reminds me, A Boy and His Blob: Trouble on Blobolonia would also make for an interesting "bizarre western game" challenge.

Oh God, you're just wishing that on him so HE'S the one who has to deal with untranslatable puns.

I have to admit that I like it, though

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

7c Nickel posted:

Man no one I know has heard of The Ooze, I loved that game despite its crushing difficulty. The first level music is incredibly memorable.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

rdbbb posted:

Golden Axe Warrior?

Nah, it wasn't Golden Axe. The camera and size of sprites are similar but I distinctly remember the levels being rooms, no part of the game was outside.

Typhoon Jim
Sep 20, 2004

space moo

zari-gani posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KQkBXjk6w4

And now when I hear that, all I can hear is MC Chris rapping about getting high on cough syrup.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

perianwyr posted:

And now when I hear that, all I can hear is MC Chris rapping about getting high on cough syrup.

drat, now I hear it, too! :psyduck:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Random Stranger posted:

Do you know if these activate on Steam? Amazon usually says something about it in the item description but I don't see anything. My OCD likes everything to be linked to Steam.

perianwyr posted:

Hahah, this owns, the 'Tussin'! The Tussin'! Now I know where it's sampled from.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Liku posted:

Do you know if these activate on Steam? Amazon usually says something about it in the item description but I don't see anything. My OCD likes everything to be linked to Steam.

They do not activate on steam.

DrMelon
Oct 9, 2010

You can find me in the produce aisle of the hospital.

Kiranamos posted:

Man no one I know has heard of The Ooze, I loved that game despite its crushing difficulty. The first level music is incredibly memorable.

The Game Over screen is what I remember best about The Ooze:

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Xik posted:

Nah, it wasn't Golden Axe. The camera and size of sprites are similar but I distinctly remember the levels being rooms, no part of the game was outside.

Maze Hunter 3D?

SamuraiSnake
Jul 1, 2010
I just discovered this TV show not too long ago after watching the episodes on Kotaku. This is 100 times better than the episodes shown on Kotaku! The presentation surpasses the production of the Kotaku episodes.

Keep them coming! I can't wait to see Arino challenge Strider Hiryu!

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

rdbbb posted:

Maze Hunter 3D?

Nope, no cigar. It was definitely these type of visuals though, minus the crazy 3D shaking of course.

Thanks for trying though rdbbb :swoon:

e: VVVVV Nah, not Alien Syndrome. Thanks though.

Xik fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 20, 2012

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008
Alien Syndrome?

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

SamuraiSnake posted:

Keep them coming! I can't wait to see Arino challenge Strider Hiryu!

I'm pretty sure you knew this when you posted, but I'd still like to point out that Arino did do Strider just a few months back. It'll probably remain untranslated, but it's a pretty straightforward episode if you want to just watch without subs. And rdbbb's episode guide has a thorough summary of the action. I've loved Strider after buying its PS1 re-release a few years back ("HMM, IT'S STRIDER HIRYU. HE WILL NEVER LEAVE EURASIA ALIVE." "I GOTCHA."), so this was actually the first untranslated episode I ever watched. I was surprised at how much trouble he had just getting through the wolves in stage 2, even though it was, well... Arino.

Unsubbed action game challenges aren't too bad if you don't mind "spoiling" them before they're subbed; I couldn't resist the other two Ghosts'n Goblins games, since Super Ghouls'n Ghosts was that game for my brother and I when we grew up. One of our parents' employees would let us borrow it once and a while and the two of us would spend that day on the first two or three stages before it had to go back from whence it came. I still love the music from the first level, and the double-jump was such an awkwardly fun mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Random Stranger posted:

Sucks that it isnt Steam, but for that price its incredibly well worth it. Eventhough I own and/or played the hell out of most of those games, 8 bucks is an amazing deal to have them in super easy digital format. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.