Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Blind Sally posted:

I don't know if anyone has noticed this, but on XBOX.com, they have already released some DLC for Operation Raccoon City. In fact they've been available for a couple days now: http://trendygamers.com/2012/03/15/resident-evil-operation-raccoon-city-dlc-xbox-360/

With all the hubbub about Day-One DLC and Mass Effect, I wonder if anyone will get bent out of joint over pre-Release-day DLC (though probably not, it's just a few costume and weapon packs).

Briefly reading those, aren't those the pre-order DLCs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I was all set to laugh at how absurd it was, but you're right. It looks like it's the pre-order DLC. I guess it's absurd that it doesn't even get to be an exclusive bonus because you can just buy it anyways, but whatever.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
It's like people are plain forgetting that Capcom does this poo poo every single time.

Chocolate America
Nov 5, 2008

by garbage day

Sultan Tarquin posted:

It's like people are plain forgetting that Capcom does this poo poo every single time.

It's still a lovely thing to do.

I think some people forget that DLC stands for DownLoadable Content. "DLC" that is already on the disc isn't Downloadable. It's just locking up certain features of the game that can only be "unlocked" by giving Capcom extra money on top of the retail price of the game and downloading a 100 kilobyte key to unlock whatever content.

You know, instead of just giving us customers all the content that was developed for the final version of the game for the retail price of the full game when the full game is released. At the very least can we actually download the downloadable content?

We should all start an internet-wide campaign of continually referring to on-disc "DLC" as "pay-unlockable content" or something else instead of "downloadable" just to make the point that it's not really downloadable and is really a thinly-veiled way of milking extra money out of consumers.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I thought the Echo Six "DLC" is free though. (Although with that said, I have no idea why it's initially locked)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Its a lovely situation either way, but it kind of has to be on disc by the nature of what they're selling. People who don't buy those guns/costumes need the assets in order to actually see them in game. Wouldn't it be even more infuriating if you had to download a 100MB thing just to play online day one?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

homeless snail posted:

Its a lovely situation either way, but it kind of has to be on disc by the nature of what they're selling. People who don't buy those guns/costumes need the assets in order to actually see them in game. Wouldn't it be even more infuriating if you had to download a 100MB thing just to play online day one?

If you have the time to play a game then you have the time to sit through a small update.

100 megs doesn't even take me 10 minutes and I live Puerto Rico which a lovely internet, its an excellent alternative to have day 1 patches for this kind of poo poo, Mortal Kombat had them.

More importantly, this isn't DLC, this is poo poo on the disc, it shouldn't be locked in the first place.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I always found the whole "on-disc" arguments to be rather weak because what people are essentially saying is that as long as the developers don't put it on the disc then its ok.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

blackguy32 posted:

I always found the whole "on-disc" arguments to be rather weak because what people are essentially saying is that as long as the developers don't put it on the disc then its ok.
It's insulting to most people to find out the DLC they're going to be buying a month after that game is already on the disc and you're paying an additional fee, beyond the cost of the game, to play something that is already on your disc.

At least if it isn't on the disc, there's an illusion that it wasn't finished before it was shipped out.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Someone explained to me awhile ago, I think I might have just read it from the Game Developers thread though, that all content created in a game's development is budgeted. The idea with modern DLC in today's games is that its content budgeted and created after the initial load of content with the intent to sell later down the line to make up for the cost. So like Street Fighter x Tekken had the budget to make X amount of characters, but then were cleared to make X more only if they could be sold as "DLC" to make up the cost, even though they're included on the disc. I think it kind of works in a roundabout way but it looks incredibly bad to the customer.

That being said, I have no idea why Nemesis and the Echo Six expansion pack are free in Operation Raccoon City and the pre-order guns/outfit packs are paid. You'd think it would be the other way around.

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 19, 2012

Link43130
Apr 13, 2009

Policenaut posted:

That being said, I have no idea why Nemesis and the Echo Six expansion pack are free in Operation Raccoon City and the pre-order guns/outfit packs are paid. You'd think it would be the other way around.

The Nemesis DLC costs $4.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Oh? It does? drat. I didn't know that. Well Echo Six still sounds like a pretty big deal to be given away for free.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

Cardboard Fox posted:

I've finally played through the whole series(1->5). Ended up skipping Code Veronica just because after playing 4 I couldn't go back to those tank controls.

And this right here is the general attitude taken towards REC:V. Ever since RE4 was announced I argued that Capcom was doing an intentional job at burying Code Veronica. Yes, I realize that they did re-release it on the PS2, but that always just smelled of a money grab. More seriously though, I think Capcom regretted, almost immediately, that they put the true sequel to the franchise on the DC and not the PS2. It's been a long time now, but lets not forget how heavily invested in the Dreamcast Capcom was. Yet it was a system that was doomed to die early. But they made their choice and then tried to rewrite history. REC:V was never mentioned in later games (though I haven't played 5) but RE2 is CONSTANTLY spoken about. Everything is told in relation to RE2, but REC:V is the more recent event and yet never seems to cross any character's mind. Capcom's attempt to bury the game went as far as to change the numbering of the games. RE-RE2-RE3-RE:CV-RE4 is the correct order, but it's very easy to see that over time people can become confused on where REC:V comes in the order.

I think REC:V also has the distinction of being the game that was just a bridge too far. It was lauded at the time of its release but I feel that it holds up the poorest of all of the original four. RE1 is a brutal game to play by today's standards, but as a classic its age can be forgiven. REC:V really display's that the franchise really did need to take a dramatic new turn. The gameplay had gotten very dull. Anyone who had been playing the franchise since the beginning was now so well versed in how to play that there was almost no challenge in it. Aside from the very frustrating boss fight in the cargo plane there is almost no sense of the player ever really being in over their head. To make up for this Capcom made the game very long (by RE standards), but this doesn't mean much when the gameplay is stale.

With this point in mind it is easier to understand how Capcom came to the conclusion to reboot the franchise and thus pretend REC:V never happened. They instead rebooted the franchise from the strength of RE2 which allowed for a lot more potential story lines than REC:V did.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Just paid off a preorder for Racoon City. Gamertag is Zurcher.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Well, I forgot I had this pre-ordered on Amazon so I was charged for it this morning. Guess I'll see what's up, but I'm not sure if I'm happy with this.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

AshTheZombie posted:

Decided to pickup a mobile gaming system so I can RE:ORC it up during work.
http://imgur.com/a/RRVHa
I regret nothing.

To anyone else: http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-g155-mobile-system?c=all&p=12 These things are $100 off right now haha

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

SpitztheGreat posted:

And this right here is the general attitude taken towards REC:V. Ever since RE4 was announced I argued that Capcom was doing an intentional job at burying Code Veronica. Yes, I realize that they did re-release it on the PS2, but that always just smelled of a money grab. More seriously though, I think Capcom regretted, almost immediately, that they put the true sequel to the franchise on the DC and not the PS2. It's been a long time now, but lets not forget how heavily invested in the Dreamcast Capcom was. Yet it was a system that was doomed to die early. But they made their choice and then tried to rewrite history. REC:V was never mentioned in later games (though I haven't played 5) but RE2 is CONSTANTLY spoken about. Everything is told in relation to RE2, but REC:V is the more recent event and yet never seems to cross any character's mind. Capcom's attempt to bury the game went as far as to change the numbering of the games. RE-RE2-RE3-RE:CV-RE4 is the correct order, but it's very easy to see that over time people can become confused on where REC:V comes in the order.

I think REC:V also has the distinction of being the game that was just a bridge too far. It was lauded at the time of its release but I feel that it holds up the poorest of all of the original four. RE1 is a brutal game to play by today's standards, but as a classic its age can be forgiven. REC:V really display's that the franchise really did need to take a dramatic new turn. The gameplay had gotten very dull. Anyone who had been playing the franchise since the beginning was now so well versed in how to play that there was almost no challenge in it. Aside from the very frustrating boss fight in the cargo plane there is almost no sense of the player ever really being in over their head. To make up for this Capcom made the game very long (by RE standards), but this doesn't mean much when the gameplay is stale.

With this point in mind it is easier to understand how Capcom came to the conclusion to reboot the franchise and thus pretend REC:V never happened. They instead rebooted the franchise from the strength of RE2 which allowed for a lot more potential story lines than REC:V did.

I think RE CV is referenced in Wesker's Report. Also, RE:CV pretty much created modern day Wesker.

AshTheZombie
Apr 17, 2003
Undead

Revitalized posted:

To anyone else: http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-g155-mobile-system?c=all&p=12 These things are $100 off right now haha

drat, I got punked. "4 new from $269.99 3 used from $199.90"

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Ah man if I was working a graveyard shift babysitting job like security guard or something I would be all over that thing, that's a really neat idea. How is the picture quality though? The product page says the TV is 720p, which is fine since there are barely any games that run at 1080, but how does it actually look in motion?

AshTheZombie
Apr 17, 2003
Undead
I was concerned about 720 as well but the unit I was shipped displays 1080p just fine. The only complaint I have so far is that it resets to "50" volume every powerup, which is pretty loud. Nothing but good things other than that. Play tested with ME3 marathon as a neckbeard graveyard IT guy.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

AshTheZombie posted:

I was concerned about 720 as well but the unit I was shipped displays 1080p just fine.

Who cares about that anyways. With a screen that small the human eye should not be able to tell the difference between 720 and 1080 at all. If someone says they can then they are full of poo poo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

No reviews on this and it's out tomorrow. That's not very comforting.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

NESguerilla posted:

The only review I found was a British magazine called "Games" that gave it a 3 out of 10. No one seemed to post what they actually said about the game though.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

NESguerilla posted:

There were no early reviews for FEAR 3 and that turned out to be major fun.

:ohdear: I just hope everything works out.

Boxing Snatcher
Jul 4, 2011

I have been looking for some great Beef Jerky since my local convenience store changed owners.
Well I hope it's good. I just blew 70$ on it. Ah well, it doesn't take much to please me, videogame wise. I just need to find people to play it with because none of my friends give a gently caress about Resident Evil. If you guys are getting it for the 360 add me.

GT:Killerdud745

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Don't want everyone getting split up and killing the community before its begun.

Created Metatag ORCGoons. I'll friend request the few that put down their gts so far.

FlashFearless
Nov 4, 2004
Death. But not for you, Gunslinger. Never for you.

Well I just beat the main campaign today and I found it to be pretty fun, despite the focus obviously being on multiplayer. It took me about 5 hours, but people could probably do it quicker. There's still a lot of stuff I missed to go back for, and I only got C rankings on most of the missions. I played as Beltway, and setting mines to blow up piles of charging Crimson Heads never got old.

I tried out some vs multiplayer the other night and it was fun. I haven't had a chance to throw a zombie at anyone yet, though.

D0ct0rAlanGrant
Aug 23, 2007

~My country is a complete embarrassment to world football and they deserve abuse from everyone at all times.~

~Handle your balls? Frenchmen can't resist!~
Add me to the gt list, im so excited for this game!

Gt: Its a trapzorz

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Mouser.. posted:

Don't want everyone getting split up and killing the community before its begun.

Created Metatag ORCGoons. I'll friend request the few that put down their gts so far.

Thanks for doing this. I'm eager to give the game a try, but not many people I know seem to care about this release or the series in general.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Well poo poo, I plan on giving it a shot, so...

GT is DuCkSPANKER

Send me a FR on the metatag.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

citizenlowell posted:

Thanks for doing this. I'm eager to give the game a try, but not many people I know seem to care about this release or the series in general.

Not that many people care about Resident Evil? I thought it was still pretty popular :confused:

I am very skeptical of ORC but I'd like to see it come out good. I'll pick it up in a second if people like it.

I just don't know who the game is supposed to be for. As an RE fan it doesn't look like it offers much aside for a bit of novelty. The videos I have watched makes it seem like they aren't doing much with the source material. It doesn't even look like a RE game in terms of visual style to me. I never really got into Socom either so it makes it sort of hard to get excited.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

NESguerilla posted:

Not that many people care about Resident Evil? I thought it was still pretty popular :confused:

Re-read what I posted. I was speaking about people I know, not people on the internet. My group of friends who still play videogames haven't cared about Resident Evil since RE2 and they're too busy playing Call of Duty/Battlefield to care about another online shooter. So I expect I'll be playing this one with goons nearly exclusively.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, yeah I misread that. Sorry.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Believe I've added everyone so far to the Metatag. If you didn't get a request from ORCGoons then send a request to it or just keep listing your GTs.

I played some versus and I was enjoying myself. I was very hesitant about another Slant Six game after the SOCOM fiasco but I watched the 2 hour ORC tournament that Gamespot had on Youtube and I was sold.

If anyone is still on the fence about what the multiplayer is like, I'd recommend watching it to get an idea of how a game can go when your squad is having fun playing it.

EDIT: Here's the Youtube link to the tournament just skip past the first ten minutes of blabbing.

Gamespot ORC Tournament

Mouser.. fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 20, 2012

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

NESguerilla posted:

Oh, yeah I misread that. Sorry.

Sok. I think my friends are idiots for ignoring the series. I couldn't get anyone to give RE4 a poo poo this past fall when it was re-released and while I played the hell out of Revelations on the 3DS and loved every minute of it, it's hard to convince someone they should purchase a handheld just to for one game.

Maybe the hype for RE6 will get them interested again.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

ApexAftermath posted:

Who cares about that anyways. With a screen that small the human eye should not be able to tell the difference between 720 and 1080 at all. If someone says they can then they are full of poo poo.

That's only true for people with bad eyes. A higher resolution is never a bad thing.

For those who have played this, does it feel like SOCOM? Do enemies ragdoll or get dismembered or die in rewarding ways? This is important.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

That's only true for people with bad eyes. A higher resolution is never a bad thing.

For those who have played this, does it feel like SOCOM? Do enemies ragdoll or get dismembered or die in rewarding ways? This is important.

Its a little stiffer than SOCOM. You can snatch zombies up and kick them down stairs but they don't ragdoll. It feels more akin to SOCOM 4 than Confrontation. Still, the added element of zombies/hunters/lickers in the fray certainly keeps it from being some hohum affair and you have to stay moving or die quick.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Have you gotten the chance to put any real time into the multiplayer? I'm really interested in knowing how the whole player/player/AI online combat deal worked out, because it sounded like the coolest thing.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Have you gotten the chance to put any real time into the multiplayer? I'm really interested in knowing how the whole player/player/AI online combat deal worked out, because it sounded like the coolest thing.

I haven't touched single player yet so I've put about two hours into MP. I think the player/player/AI dynamic is more than enough to keep things tense the entire match. It's not like the zombies are shambling around stupidly while you get free reign to gun down your opponent. The zombies are a mix of the Las Plagas and shambling types, with Crimson Heads thrown into the mix. Some maps start off light on AI and before the end of the match there's an AI Nemesis roaming around, Hunters have been released and Lickers are clinging to the ceiling. It doesn't take much to get infected so you can't just wade through the zombies and soak up damage either. Once you get infected, you have about 20 seconds to find an antiviral spray or you'll transform into a zombie.

When you get zombified, you can control which direction you run but if one of your teammates gets in your line of sight, your character will lock onto them and try to attack them. It's not that annoying though because they are easily dealt with so it's not as if you are constantly getting murdered by your teammates. Plus, if you notice their infection is almost complete, you can gun them down yourself before they change.

Anyways, you're not a bullet sponge and if your enemy gets the drop on you, then it only takes a few bursts to kill you or make you bleed (which swarms all the zombies towards you) As an advantage though, it's rather hard to camp without someone watching your back because some zombie is going to wander up on the camper and start grappling them. So yeah, I find the multiplayer to be rather refreshing and enjoyable. I hope to see more people use communication because that's where the fun is.

EDIT: And I'm not stating the AI is some kind of spectacular intelligence. It just does its job very well of keeping you off balance and unable to focus on just killing the other team.

Mouser.. fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
That's what I was hoping to hear, I bought this basically hoping that the AI monsters thrown into the multiplay would keep things interesting. I'd like to play something that at least tries to shake up the glut of 'kill the other mans' games. I'm watching the gamespot tournament video, it looks pretty drat fun.

Plus it is spring break for me so I might do something silly like marathon this poo poo tomorrow.

GT: ChowdaThisWorld