Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

maxnmona posted:

I know people like things to be binary because that's easier to grasp, so he must either be all good or completely worthless, but his talent is not subjective
That's such a bratty response. He's the one saying that it's not a big deal not to have him as your cup of tea and you're the one saying that he is the best monologuist in the world right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I don't think I've agreed with a person more than Rob Schmitz. He was so on the money with Mr. Daisey being a smarmy piece of poo poo who wouldn't answer anything.

Also that video of him being absolutely in shock and awe when a group of people walked out in protest of his show is fantastic.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Phone posted:

I don't think I've agreed with a person more than Rob Schmitz. He was so on the money with Mr. Daisey being a smarmy piece of poo poo who wouldn't answer anything.

Also that video of him being absolutely in shock and awe when a group of people walked out in protest of his show is fantastic.

Is there a new video?

If you're talking about the one that's been around for awhile, it had nothing to do with this issue. It was a Christian group offended that he was swearing.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah, the older one; I just find his reaction to be funny.

Also: swearing is bad, OK.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

maxnmona posted:

Is there a new video?

If you're talking about the one that's been around for awhile, it had nothing to do with this issue. It was a Christian group offended that he was swearing.

What the hell, 87 people paid for his show just to walk out of it? How is that any sort of protest?

I was halfway on Daisey's side of things until I heard the podcast today. His explanations were obnoxious. I'm sure TAL left in everything that made him look as bad as possible, but jesus.

edit: vvvv see, if he had just said " I apologized in this week’s episode to anyone who felt betrayed. I stand by that apology. But understand that if you felt something that connected you with where your devices come from—that is not a lie. That is art. That is human empathy, and it is real, and even if you curse my name I hope you’ll recognize that and continue reading, caring, and thinking." from the get-go, I would be with him 100%.

RaoulDuke12 fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 20, 2012

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

A longer written response from Mike Daisey http://mikedaisey.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/reports-of-my-death-have-been-greatly.html

and the prologue he added to the last few shows of the stage version: http://mikedaisey.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/heres-audio-from-prologue-i-delivered.html

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
This is one of the most painful episodes of TAL to listen to (that didn't have a stupid-assed David Sedaris Squirrel Story in it). I listen to podcasts on 2x, but I wish the iPhone had a 4x option for something like this with so many pregnant pauses interspersed.

Maybe it's all in the editing, but the way his side is framed makes me not want to believe a thing he says on this or any other subject. "The tools of theater and memoir" my rear end. This isn't some Arthur Miller bull poo poo. When someone sat down to watch this guy blubber out his story I guarantee they had been taking his word as fact. This guy lives in another universe.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Sivart13 posted:

This is one of the most painful episodes of TAL to listen to (that didn't have a stupid-assed David Sedaris Squirrel Story in it). I listen to podcasts on 2x, but I wish the iPhone had a 4x option for something like this with so many pregnant pauses interspersed.

Maybe it's all in the editing, but the way his side is framed makes me not want to believe a thing he says on this or any other subject. "The tools of theater and memoir" my rear end. This isn't some Arthur Miller bull poo poo. When someone sat down to watch this guy blubber out his story I guarantee they had been taking his word as fact. This guy lives in another universe.
Daisy's attitude is far from unique among nonfiction-storyteller-but-not-a-journalist types. I'm reminded of this back-and-forth between a writer and his fact checker: http://harpers.org/archive/2012/02/0083770

As a technically minded person, probably much like yourself, I think they're wrong. You can't just make things up and call it nonfiction. Even so, it's worth reminding yourself every now and then that there are people who don't hold to that, and that even if someone doesn't make up guards with guns out of whole cloth they still paint a picture that might not be entirely accurate with the facts they use to frame the story and the others they leave out.

Poopy Palpy fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Mar 20, 2012

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
TAL didn't edit to make Daisey look bad - they didn't edit that stuff at all

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Blackula69 posted:

TAL didn't edit to make Daisey look bad - they didn't edit that stuff at all

Of course they edited it. The actual interview was not fifteen minutes long. And Glass summarized several of Daisey's answers instead of playing them.

Not saying he edited it to make him look bad, but it's silly to claim that we were listening to an unedited source tape. They chose which questions and answers to play.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

maxnmona posted:

A longer written response from Mike Daisey http://mikedaisey.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/reports-of-my-death-have-been-greatly.html

and the prologue he added to the last few shows of the stage version: http://mikedaisey.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/heres-audio-from-prologue-i-delivered.html
That response coupled with the episode is fine. Daisey totally lied about a lot of this stuff, and that was a terrible thing to do, especially when he understood what they were going for. However, TAL does acknowledge that most of the facts were true, whether he experienced them or not. That acknowledgement gets a little forgotten under the amount of attention Ira pays to the fact that TAL was lied to.

I do think it's somewhat TAL's fault. Their muckraking episodes have been great, but traditionally TAL HAS been a monologue show. They mixed the two, didn't stick with a reputable source (I haven't heard Daisey's monologue but I assume he doesn't normally report on things), and paid for it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

maxnmona posted:

Of course they edited it.

Maybe they're talking about the long periods of silence.
I'm sure they weren't artificially extended, but for any other guest they would definitely have cut out dead air.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 20, 2012

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
I like the idea that Mike Daisy is Jimmy McNulty.

http://thenewinquiry.com/blogs/zunguzungu/the-jimmy-mcnulty-gambit/

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

Teenage Fansub posted:

Maybe they're talking about the long periods of silence.
I'm sure they weren't artificially extended, but for any other guest they would definitely have cut out dead air.

Yes, that's what I meant. I'm familiar with the production of radio

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

maxnmona posted:

Of course they edited it. The actual interview was not fifteen minutes long. And Glass summarized several of Daisey's answers instead of playing them.

Not saying he edited it to make him look bad, but it's silly to claim that we were listening to an unedited source tape. They chose which questions and answers to play.

You literally thought he meant that he thought the real interview was 15 minutes, and not that his problem was the long awkward silences. You have a super strong devotion to defending every aspect of this dude to the point of self-imposed insanity.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Glitterbomber posted:

You literally thought he meant that he thought the real interview was 15 minutes, and not that his problem was the long awkward silences. You have a super strong devotion to defending every aspect of this dude to the point of self-imposed insanity.

People are so offended by what Daisey did wrong that it's impossible to sort out the overblown statements from the mere confusing ones(no one has ever said that the long silences were edited in, so I don't know how I was supposed to infer that meaning).

In any case, I'm not on Daisey's side. I think he hosed up and did several wrong things. I just find the situation nuanced and not something I'm upset about, whereas some people are working themselves into a rage over something that doesn't affect them at all.

Symptomless Coma
Mar 30, 2007
for shock value

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

I like the idea that Mike Daisy is Jimmy McNulty.

http://thenewinquiry.com/blogs/zunguzungu/the-jimmy-mcnulty-gambit/

One of the best pieces on the issue so far, I reckon.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Symptomless Coma posted:

One of the best pieces on the issue so far, I reckon.

"A note to our listeners: this story does acknowledge the existence of sex with prostitutes while working on a sting operation."

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

maxnmona posted:

I just find the situation nuanced and not something I'm upset about, whereas some people are working themselves into a rage over something that doesn't affect them at all.

If people feel angry or upset at the actions of this poo poo head, it has indeed affected them.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Midlife Cowboy from episode 402 is getting an HBO series. Owen Wilson and Veronica Mars' Rob Thomas co-produce.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
That story was nuts. I kept expecting to turn out badly, or to be a delusion or something.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sooo, does anyone else regularly listen to Planet Money? I was thinking about starting a different thread, but this thread gets so few, and they regularly overlap.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

All the time. It's a great quickie podcast.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Yeah they do interesting stuff, I save up for a few weeks then listen to 3 or 4 at a time. There should just be a general NPR thread. minus Car Talk because I think they already have one, Fresh Air should be separate too because I think a truckload of people listen to that one. But Wait Wait, On Point, Planet Money and TAL are all great shows and if people like one they'll probably like the others. On Point with Tom Ashbrook's topics vary so wildly that I'll skip a few but the topics that look interesting usually end up being, even though Tom is a little obtuse sometimes for the sake of conversation and avoiding confrontation.

/edit hey there already is one and I'm a giant dumbass! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3438712

NineBreaker
Oct 22, 2005

https://www.facebook.com/SleepwalkMovie/app_140149346021719

Christ, the liveshow was sooo good. Anyone else see it? I laughed and became misty-eyed so many times. What an absolutely captivating show.

"Excuse me, I'm sorry, but I just had to tell you - you have an amazing voice."

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I saw it. It was a very good episode of TLA, and fun to watch with a crowd. My favorite segment was probably the one about the photographer. Don't have much else to say about it.

Oh, yeah, and the odd intersection of TLA and Earwolf Radio. I guess I would have liked the Tig Notaro segment more if I hadn't already heard that bit several times already.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
I saw it as well. I thought the first few bits were not that great. The blind guy (why did that need to be visual?), the weird dancers and the Taylor Dane bit (if your friend took a cell phone video wouldn't this be the perfect time to show that?) and the dowsing bit were not entertaining at all. The Mike Birbiglia movie was ok, the David Sedaris story was good and the photographer bit was awesome.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
The dancers were good, although their 2nd act was far more entertaining than the first one. The worst part was the black guy telling the "drilling for water" story.
But all in all, I'm very glad I went to this.

Also, I'd never even looked at a picture of Ira Glass. I didn't know what he looked like until last night. :allears:

Wheeze
Jul 31, 2007

Alfajor posted:

Also, I'd never even looked at a picture of Ira Glass. I didn't know what he looked like until last night. :allears:

I gotta say, Mike Birbiglia does not look at all how I imagined him.

(Glynn Washington does though.)

I wish my theater had been more crowded, the Ok Go Rock Band bit would have probably been cooler in a crowded theater. It was fun though.

The only bit I really didn't like was Glynn Washington's story about water dowsing. It didn't really benefit from the visuals at all, and a lot of his stories tend to grate on my skeptic senses (especially this one). The best story was either "I really like your voice" or the one about the photographer.

I was very disappointed that that was not actually Terry Gross's husband.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
My theater was pretty full, and while the percussive part seemed to work, I wasn't really hearing the smartphone part even though like half the theater was doing it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
This latest episode on crime scenes is pretty interesting, it's like CSI but without all the bullshit. Plus you get to hear a little kid say "maybe he got pumped in the butt...by lots of men" :lol:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

This latest episode on crime scenes is pretty interesting, it's like CSI but without all the bullshit. Plus you get to hear a little kid say "maybe he got pumped in the butt...by lots of men" :lol:

I think it's only funny if you haven't been around kids who would say those things to an adult or who would just start swinging wildly at another kid over next to nothing. They're raised in households where they're pretty much on par with the adults... and sometimes more mature.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Regular TAL contributor David Rakoff died today at age 47. He will be missed.

http://www.third-beat.com/2012/08/10/david-rakoff-1964-2012/

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Came in to say I just heard about David Rakoff. I always enjoyed his voice and style very much. I didn't even know he was sick. Cancer loving sucks :sigh:

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Just listened to this week's David Rakoff tribute episode and it was fantastic. The bit on Rent had me laughing out loud. I don't pay a huge amount of attention to who the individual contributors are so I only really knew David Rakoff from recognising his voice. I guess it's a nice legacy that this episode was really, really strong.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I haven't listened to TAL in a few weeks and was catching up today, and David Rakoff's tribute episode caught me off-guard. I apparently missed the memo with him passing away. After hearing his regular contributions, it's almost like a close friend is gone. You'll be missed, David, by so many people that you have never met.

His brief reading of the passage from his upcoming book was just brutal :(

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
This might be the single greatest thing that I have ever seen.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Balloon, balloon, balloon, really, you have to try pretty hard to fail to offer a blowjob.

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 23, 2012

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Catching up on my TALs. "Red State Blue State" is a very satisfying one to listen to, post-election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affably Evil
Nov 10, 2012
I loved the "Red State Blue State" episode, it was really interesting to hear about New Hampshire's situation and compare it to what's happening in the federal government. Plus the little update on the site afterwards was fascinating and possibly (hopefully?) telling:

quote:

Update 11/7/12: Our story ended with a question: Is this an aberration, or is this the new New Hampshire? Yesterday we got an answer — and it demonstrates how the state's huge House of Representatives is so very representative, so responsive to shifts in public mood. After giving Republicans a three-to-one majority in the House and Senate in 2010, voters have swung the other way. Here's what we know so far: Early numbers have the Democrats taking 217 seats to the Republicans' 177, with six seats still undetermined. Speaker Bill O'Brien won his House seat, but he won't be speaker again, because Republicans not only lost their majority, they lost the House entirely. Reporters in New Hampshire are saying that Bill O'Brien won't be seeking any leadership position at all.

But the stories of friendships dying because of political differences made me kinda sad. :/

• Locked thread