Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Meh, so long as Wimax works for a few more years I'm not terribly excited about LTE. What are the frequencies anyways? I'm sure building penetration will be terrible like Wimax anyways, but I can always be surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

ratbert90 posted:

Meh, so long as Wimax works for a few more years I'm not terribly excited about LTE. What are the frequencies anyways? I'm sure building penetration will be terrible like Wimax anyways, but I can always be surprised.

WiMax's current frequency is either 2.5 or 2.6Ghz, can't remember which. LTE will be deployed initially at 1.9Ghz, which will be an improvement. Sprint is moving their voice traffic to their 800 (or is it 850?) Mhz portion of spectrum as they convert old Nextel iDen equipment. After all, they are a phone company first.

Reading up on Network Vision will explain their roadmap in better detail.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
There was some discussion about ICS ROMs for the Epic 4G Touch a few pages ago. I've been running AOKP since this morning and so far it is perfectly stable and leagues better than any of the leaked Touchwiz ROMs. The only listed bugs are the camcorder not working and I guess you can't play video in the browser, but I imagine those will be fixed soonish. Obviously I haven't been running it long enough to give a thorough review but even the features are nicer than the other ROMs. The thread for it is hidden (in plain sight) in the E4GT general discussion forum on XDA.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Leathal posted:

Well holy poo poo, toast finally came out of his hole and it wasn't to tell us we have six more weeks of winter.

http://www.techerrata.com/file/teamwin/cm_shooter-ota-eng.toastcfh.zip

There's a 90% functionally complete CM9 build for the Evo3D with full hw acceleration (including all the bells and whistles in Chrome and working Netflix) and no kernel wakelocks.

Camera is hosed up, but it actually opens and displays a picture (although actually hitting capture causes a force close). According to IRC, he plans on getting camera fully working in the next few days and then start rolling out dailies.

Running it right now, and it's miles ahead of any previous ics build floating around on xda. Super excited for the next few weeks because goddamn my phone loving screams right now.

Hate to drag this up, but speaking of ICS roms, has there been any progress on this since then? I hope I hope I hope...

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Sprint has new trainings for network vision and LTE, so fingers crossed as that being a good sign for the galaxy nexus being closer than summertime.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Sprint has new trainings for network vision and LTE, so fingers crossed as that being a good sign for the galaxy nexus being closer than summertime.

Sounds like the rumor of April 15th is true then.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

Sounds like the rumor of April 15th is true then.

You never know, sprint could always launch the kyocera Echo 2 LTE 4G.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-119-htc-evo-successor-to-jet-onto-the-scene-june-10th/

So hey this is neat.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

You never know, sprint could always launch the kyocera Echo 2 LTE 4G.

That would be hilarious.

Did anyone actually buy the first one?

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

FlyingCheese posted:

Hate to drag this up, but speaking of ICS roms, has there been any progress on this since then? I hope I hope I hope...

Bad news: nothing public, but he's still regularly checking code into his github account

Good news: HTC just released ICS kernel source for the Sensation, which should hopefully help speed things along for the 3D. Not sure if it will help the camera issues very much, but here's hoping there's something useful.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

If they stick to naming conventions and keep it one x and evo the releases will be

evo 4G, evo 3D, evo 1X

no evo 2B?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

That would be hilarious.

Did anyone actually buy the first one?

Yes, once it was downgraded to free out the door people with poor credit or just no money bought them (note: not trying to talk down about anyone, it was just our free out the door phone). Thankfully the echo can be exchanged out for a nexus s under insurance, so whenever I have an echo cone back with a problem I just switch them to that. Lord knows I'm not attempting to do any repairs on the echo.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

zer0spunk posted:

If they stick to naming conventions and keep it one x and evo the releases will be

evo 4G, evo 3D, evo 1X

no evo 2B?

They should call it the Evo 1Xrtt just to mess with the old school people who knows what it means

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away

uapyro posted:

They should call it the Evo 1Xrtt just to mess with the old school people who knows what it means

I'm all for that phone!

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies
One other thing that points to a possible Galaxy Nexus release around April 15th is that Sprint Datastorm sweepstakes. For shits and grins I took a look at the official rules the other day, which say that the drawing will be held "on or about April 16th, 2012" and the winners will be contacted within 5 days of the drawing. I can't see them telling people they won a device they won't actually be able to get for X number of months.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

uapyro posted:

What do you mean old school? Don't a good portion of us spend time on 1X rtt every day? I know I do.
*updates Android Market apps at 3KB/s*

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

td4guy posted:

What do you mean old school? Don't a good portion of us spend time on 1X rtt every day? I know I do.
In Portland that is EVDO speed. :(

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

td4guy posted:

That's pretty scary... I do when I occasionally roam, but I didn't think anyone did anymore who wasn't roaming

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Okay, I guess I was exaggerating a bit. I only switch to 1X RTT when I'm indoors.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is Samsung still terrible about their software? I have an Evo4G now, and I'm about due for an upgrade. I'm not sure if I want the Galaxy Nexus next month, or wait until June for the HTC.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

IRC - Its nothing more than multiplayer notepad.

FogHelmut posted:

Is Samsung still terrible about their software? I have an Evo4G now, and I'm about due for an upgrade. I'm not sure if I want the Galaxy Nexus next month, or wait until June for the HTC.

The idea with the Galaxy Nexus is, that its not Samsung's software. It's Google's.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I jumped ship to Verizon for a Galaxy Nexus last month. Three months in, and the phone has some serious issues (dropped calls, data connection problems, etc) that have yet to be remedied in an update.

The "nexus = fast updates" is meaningless, for the CDMA phones anyway.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

SneakyCracker posted:

The idea with the Galaxy Nexus is, that its not Samsung's software. It's Google's.
That's not true. Some Galaxy Nexus are being updated by Samsung. See: http://androidandme.com/2011/12/devices/not-all-gsm-galaxy-nexus-devices-will-be-updated-directly-by-google/

Also, CDMA versions of the Nexus are not getting speedy updates. Nexus S update got released and then suddenly held back, due to major bugs.

unknown poster
Aug 4, 2007

nate fisher posted:

The EVO was one hell of a tough phone. Warning the iPhone is great but it is the opposite of tough. As I said in the iPhone thread if I could have them change one thing for the iPhone 5 it would to be to make it tougher.

I still have an Evo, and it is amazingly tough. On my second, and theyve both been dropped countless times. The screen finally shattered on my first, after dropping it on concrete at a weird angle, but by that time, it was chipped and scratched to hell after being dropped so much.

My second has a ton of chips and scratches, but has survived fine. Even from flying off the roof of a moving car.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Allaniis posted:

That's not true. Some Galaxy Nexus are being updated by Samsung. See: http://androidandme.com/2011/12/devices/not-all-gsm-galaxy-nexus-devices-will-be-updated-directly-by-google/

Also, CDMA versions of the Nexus are not getting speedy updates. Nexus S update got released and then suddenly held back, due to major bugs.

I am so glad that I don't deal with Android anymore daily. Yes I miss flashing my phone, but fragmentation is truly a negative in the end. Good thing for Google most people are too dumb to know or care about these issues.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

So, I'm sorry if this is the wrong thread for this, but I'm kind of out at sea here. Recently on spring break I accidentally dropped my phone in a pool (no cool story or anything, I'm just an idiot), which means I'm SOL apparently. I've been trying to find a way to avoid paying the $300 they want for a new phone, but I don't have an upgrade for another year.

I had the Samsung Replenish without the premium data package, is there somewhere I can buy a new one and avoid paying the $300? They said I can bring a new one into the store and pay $35 to get it switched to my number, so it seemed smarter to buy one and bring it in. Problem is, I have no idea where to find one, and really don't know what I'm doing. I've seen a few on eBay (like this one or this one) but don't know how to tell if it's legit. I know "bad ESN" is bad, but are those other two offers on the up-and-up? If they are that seems like the best option.

It's probably a dumb question, but if I bought a "prepaid" phone like this one would I be able to bring it in and get it switched? I'd assume not, but I thought I'd check.

I loved my little phone, and I just want to get it back :( That thing had replaced my laptop by this point.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Tedious_Bastard posted:

The "nexus = fast updates" is meaningless, for the CDMA phones anyway.
Folks, there are major growing pains with ICS. To be honest, it was released too soon.

Based on both the publicly-documented bugs/fixes that CM9 has made, and based on the bugs present in the NS4G leaked build, it's pretty clear that the initial ICS release barely worked on the Galaxy Nexus, even-more barely worked on the Nexus S, and has issues everywhere else. And it's not just device-specific issues, but bugs in core framework code due to trying to overhaul Android and make it a modern, (circa 2009) OS.

The point is that, we can confidently say that the continued delay in the NS4G release is due to Google (and to a lesser extent, Samsung) fixing poo poo, and Sprint's own compatibility/testing requirements.

So yes, it's true that being a Nexus device doesn't promise "fast updates", it just promises "faster updates" than third-party OEM devices.

nate fisher posted:

but fragmentation is truly a negative in the end.
The kinds of issues folks have with the Galaxy Nexus, NS4G, etc., particularly things related to the CDMA telephony stack, aren't really about fragmentation.

Unless, by fragmentation you mean "CDMA vs. GSM", in which case Android is embarassing compared to the iPhone. Although, in contrast, the iPhone was a lot slower in adopting alternative telephony stacks.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 20, 2012

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Doomsayer posted:

It's probably a dumb question, but if I bought a "prepaid" phone like this one would I be able to bring it in and get it switched? I'd assume not, but I thought I'd check.
Your assumption is correct, you can't activate a Boost/VM prepaid device on Sprint.

Find a used Replenish being sold locally on Craigslist. Meet the guy at a Sprint store. Have them activate the phone on your line on the spot, so you know you're not getting scammed.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Doomsayer posted:

So, I'm sorry if this is the wrong thread for this, but I'm kind of out at sea here. Recently on spring break I accidentally dropped my phone in a pool (no cool story or anything, I'm just an idiot), which means I'm SOL apparently. I've been trying to find a way to avoid paying the $300 they want for a new phone, but I don't have an upgrade for another year.
At least you didn't set yourself on fire throwing gas on a fire like "everyone has done."

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Your assumption is correct, you can't activate a Boost/VM prepaid device on Sprint.

Find a used Replenish being sold locally on Craigslist. Meet the guy at a Sprint store. Have them activate the phone on your line on the spot, so you know you're not getting scammed.

Unfortunately I live in a small college town and there are only a handful of phones being sold, most of them iPhones. Should I just go with eBay then, or is there a better place to buy one?

Endless Mike posted:

At least you didn't set yourself on fire throwing gas on a fire like "everyone has done."

I dunno, mine was pretty bad. I had the phone in my trunks as I walked down from the hotel room with my buddy, as I was expecting a call. So really I didn't even drop it, I went swimming with it in my pocket. I don't know if that's better or worse.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

unknown poster posted:

I still have an Evo, and it is amazingly tough. On my second, and theyve both been dropped countless times. The screen finally shattered on my first, after dropping it on concrete at a weird angle, but by that time, it was chipped and scratched to hell after being dropped so much.

My second has a ton of chips and scratches, but has survived fine. Even from flying off the roof of a moving car.

Tough everywhere but the charging port. I'm on my 3rd Evo due to that failing on my first two.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Doomsayer posted:

Should I just go with eBay then, or is there a better place to buy one?
Pretty much eBay. Try to get the ESN/MEID of the device so you can call Sprint and confirm that it's in good shape. Chances are folks aren't trying to outright scam you on a low-end device anyways.

Doomsayer posted:

I had the phone in my trunks as I walked down from the hotel room with my buddy, as I was expecting a call.
I blame swim trunks. There's very few situations in which those pockets won't get you in trouble.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Pretty much eBay. Try to get the ESN/MEID of the device so you can call Sprint and confirm that it's in good shape. Chances are folks aren't trying to outright scam you on a low-end device anyways.

Okay cool, thanks! This one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140727222652 seems pretty legitimate, since the seller is a top-rated seller, 99.2% positive feedback from 139,000 people, etc. So I guess I'll go that route. Thanks for the help!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I blame swim trunks. There's very few situations in which those pockets won't get you in trouble.

~$150 of trouble, apparently! I'm considering switching to a man-thong, just to avoid this situation in the future.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Doomsayer posted:

They said I can bring a new one into the store and pay $35 to get it switched to my number, so it seemed smarter to buy one and bring it in.
Buy one on ebay from a reputable seller, shouldn't be a problem. I just wanted to point out that the 'bring it in' and '$35' are both unnecessary. Buying a phone secondhand means you only need an esn swap, which is free, and can be done online or by phone in 2 minutes.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Folks, there are major growing pains with ICS. To be honest, it was released too soon

This is acceptable in the fourth major revision of a very widely deployed mobile environment with immense financial backing for the following reasons:

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

FogHelmut posted:

Tough everywhere but the charging port. I'm on my 3rd Evo due to that failing on my first two.
They say that when the nymph Thetis built the Evo, she dipped the phone in the river Styx, making it invulnerable everywhere but where she held it, by the charging port.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

WoG posted:

Buy one on ebay from a reputable seller, shouldn't be a problem. I just wanted to point out that the 'bring it in' and '$35' are both unnecessary. Buying a phone secondhand means you only need an esn swap, which is free, and can be done online or by phone in 2 minutes.

Oh, cool, okay. I just bought one off of eBay, so is there a guide somewhere on how to do it, or do I do it through my Sprint account or something?

Edit: Okay, looking around that does seem to be a pretty easy process. Thanks!

Doomsayer fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 20, 2012

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Tedious_Bastard posted:

This is acceptable in the fourth major revision of a very widely deployed mobile environment with immense financial backing for the following reasons:
So true.

Honestly I think an apt-analogy for ICS is "Windows 95".

It's a major-rewrite of an OS used across many, many hardware devices, with pretty significant backward compatibility requirements. And despite the effort, time, and financial backing, Windows 95 was buggy as poo poo when released too.

So, expect the next few releases to suck too, until the next major rewrite which ends up working absolutely fine on hardware released after it.

unknown poster
Aug 4, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Never had a problem with that, and I pretty much yank the cord out whenever I unplug it.

That being said, I'm probably going to get an iPhone later this year. Android has gotten kinda "meh" for me, and the ability to jailbreak and do fun stuff hasn't really been that useful for me. Only think keeping me back is the fragility of the iPhone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

unknown poster posted:

Never had a problem with that, and I pretty much yank the cord out whenever I unplug it.

That being said, I'm probably going to get an iPhone later this year. Android has gotten kinda "meh" for me, and the ability to jailbreak and do fun stuff hasn't really been that useful for me. Only think keeping me back is the fragility of the iPhone.

iPhones are not fragile. And they have loving Applecare+ as an option, which is much much cheaper than carrier insurance, lower deductible, less hassle, it gets replaced for $50. iPhones are made for retards who break their phones all the time. Even without Applecare+, if you demolish your iPhone Apple only charges $200 for a replacement. No other manufacturer has anything even remotely like this.