Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
Cool that you fixed it, but it still is probably the perfect time to try a new profile, at least just to test out the new feature in about:support Just make sure to copy the settings to the clipboard first, in case you don't remember all the plugins or about:config tweaks you've done. At least when I did it, it seems to speed things up a bit, probably because I had a lot of extensions.checkcompatibility settings all the way back to 3.6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

TwoKnives posted:

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/746530

Look through the solutions which detail how to reset the Babylon entries in about :config. That should sort it out.

Problem solved. Thanks man.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Ryokurin posted:

Cool that you fixed it, but it still is probably the perfect time to try a new profile, at least just to test out the new feature in about :support Just make sure to copy the settings to the clipboard first, in case you don't remember all the plugins or about :config tweaks you've done. At least when I did it, it seems to speed things up a bit, probably because I had a lot of extensions.checkcompatibility settings all the way back to 3.6

I hose profiles like people hose cars. I have a clean profile backed up with bookmarks, extensions, custom dictionary and settings installed from scratch. When I manage mess things up, a new profile is a folder copy away.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

ICA posted:

I have an issue.

I usually don't have this type of problemn but for some reason I've got Babylon search installed on my Firefox. How the eff do I remove this? Had a fiddle about in settings and changed my search to no avail.

Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\extensions and find the folder that contains the Babylon extension and delete it, there might also be a registry key but I don't recall at the moment where it is

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I apparently am on 12.0 beta, and I have a complaint. Before, I could open a new tab and hit 'for' and it would autofill "forums.somethingawful.com/usercp.php". Now, it only autofills "forums.somethingawful.com/", which is very annoying. Anyone know if there's a setting to undo this change?

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
I don't know if there's a setting to undo it, but you just have to hit tab or the down arrow and it will fill the whole thing.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
The -1 forum id thing appeared after I installed some addons and today is the first time this has ever happened.

Uninstalling adblock seems to have worked so far.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I want to thank you guys for opening up the world of visualizing random websites to me. I just had to use it on the greatest site on earth.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
I'm not convinced until I see the Star Wars opening crawl performed with this. :colbert:

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Mozilla has decided to add H.264 support for Firefox, abandoning their previous position of only supporting Free codecs. I'd say this is a good thing, because WebM is a huge pile of poo poo and H.264 is vastly superior, and it has hardware acceleration support.

Here's Mitchell bakers blog post on the topic
Here's Brendan Eich's blog post
Here's a lovely image macro of Mozilla's previous position on the issue

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Technically, they're not adding H.264 to Firefox, they're adding the ability to use the OS supplied H.264 decoder. If your OS (i.e. Windows XP) doesn't come with one, you're out of luck.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

pseudorandom name posted:

Technically, they're not adding H.264 to Firefox, they're adding the ability to use the OS supplied H.264 decoder. If your OS (i.e. Windows XP) doesn't come with one, you're out of luck.
Keep in mind that any most non-ancient computers have hardware H.264 decoding via DXVA, so a software decoder doesn't need to be installed.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Wasn't WebM just a lovely version of H.264 that still managed to infringe on any number of H.264 patents? I'm glad they came to their senses.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Didn't Google actually drop H264 as well though?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Alereon posted:

Keep in mind that any most non-ancient computers have hardware H.264 decoding via DXVA, so a software decoder doesn't need to be installed.

Does that cover the AAC audio part as well?
That has always been the biggest issue with mp4 files in the past, but I'm not sure if Windows 7 changes that and if the Microsoft browser plugin exposing the H.264 filter includes AAC.

Magic Underwear posted:

Wasn't WebM just a lovely version of H.264 that still managed to infringe on any number of H.264 patents? I'm glad they came to their senses.

WebM is an older proprietary codec (VP8) that Google bought up, coupled with Vorbis audio, packed into an .mkv container.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Mar 21, 2012

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Microsoft and Apple would have to be dragged kicking and screaming into supporting WebM in their browsers which is another huge issue.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Magic Underwear posted:

Not really. Visually, pretty much.
But it's not worlds apart. VP8 is the best choice we've got for free codecs, instantly replacing the genuinely archaic Theora.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Just did the update to Thunderbird 11 and it still has no loving TB button. Not even an option. Nothing. They've been dragging their feet for almost a year now.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Google has been improving WebM (both in hardware and software) and at its best it comes pretty close to h264, but they haven't done a whole lot to push it, aside from optionally supporting it on YouTube. The whole thing is a big hairy mess if you havent been following it.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

The -1 forum id thing appeared after I installed some addons and today is the first time this has ever happened.

Uninstalling adblock seems to have worked so far.

Uninstalling, not simply disabling? Because disabling it didn't work.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I want to thank you guys for opening up the world of visualizing random websites to me. I just had to use it on the greatest site on earth.

:supaburn:

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

TOOT BOOT posted:

Didn't Google actually drop H264 as well though?

This is covered pretty well in the Brendan Eich post. Google said they would, but they haven't yet. But even if they did, it wouldn't matter; most sites will fall back to playing it in Flash. Few Chrome users would ever know the difference, and they'd still be watching H264 video in Chrome and it wouldn't help push WebM.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number
Not to mention that pretty much every mobile device that Mozilla wants to run Gecko on has hardware to decode H.264 and not WebM. There is a huge amount of inertia in manufacturing to support H.264, and Mozilla is simply not a big enough player to change that. Apple could force it to happen (via their direct production of incredibly popular mobile hardware), but has zero incentive to do so. And the immense power savings of hardware decode vs software means that H.264 will be the video format for mobile devices for the foreseeable future.

I respect Mozilla for trying to force the issue, but they simply don't have the power, even on the desktop, to change the direction of an entire industry on this one. I'm glad they are finally moving on, because I don't want to have to switch browsers once HTML5 video starts becoming popular.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

kapinga posted:

Not to mention that pretty much every mobile device that Mozilla wants to run Gecko on has hardware to decode H.264 and not WebM. There is a huge amount of inertia in manufacturing to support H.264, and Mozilla is simply not a big enough player to change that. Apple could force it to happen (via their direct production of incredibly popular mobile hardware), but has zero incentive to do so. And the immense power savings of hardware decode vs software means that H.264 will be the video format for mobile devices for the foreseeable future.

I respect Mozilla for trying to force the issue, but they simply don't have the power, even on the desktop, to change the direction of an entire industry on this one. I'm glad they are finally moving on, because I don't want to have to switch browsers once HTML5 video starts becoming popular.

Hell forget about mobile devices even, I have a pretty decent laptop and WebM constantly stutters and drop frames while pretty much any other format runs fine. I have to keep doing workarounds to prevent Youtube ever using HTML5 video for me because it always ends up being WebM that runs terrible.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Sereri posted:

Just did the update to Thunderbird 11 and it still has no loving TB button. Not even an option. Nothing. They've been dragging their feet for almost a year now.

I read this a couple times but I still can't figure out what you're complaining about.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Cpt.Wacky posted:

I read this a couple times but I still can't figure out what you're complaining about.

vs

(ignore the moonspeak)

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
In Firefox 11 (I don't think it happened in 10 but I can't be sure) I've lost some functionality that worked correctly for a long, long time.

On these forums when you click the "last read post" button on a thread firefox would load up the page then kind of re-center the view to the top of the last read post. It doesn't do that anymore, I have to click in the address bar and press enter for it to jump to the right post.

I suppose it could be a change in the forums code but I doubt it.

Anyone have any insight on this?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

In your SA user options, make sure "Adjust the page position to the top of the requested post after the page loads" is turned off.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Has anyone noticed tab navigation for having lots of tabs (such that some are hidden) has become butts in firefox 11? On 10 the navigation is fluid, I click the left arrow the tab view moves left... right it moves right. On 11 its loving choppy, and literally doesn't move all the way to the end/beginning of a row unless I'm at fullscreen, thus rendering the point of it useless!

What the gently caress did they do to my tabs :mad:

I rolled back to Firefox 10 because it was driving me crazy (I deal with a lot of tabs due to research)

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Scoobi posted:

Has anyone noticed tab navigation for having lots of tabs (such that some are hidden) has become butts in firefox 11? On 10 the navigation is fluid, I click the left arrow the tab view moves left... right it moves right. On 11 its loving choppy, and literally doesn't move all the way to the end/beginning of a row unless I'm at fullscreen, thus rendering the point of it useless!

What the gently caress did they do to my tabs :mad:

I rolled back to Firefox 10 because it was driving me crazy (I deal with a lot of tabs due to research)

I'm on 12 beta and it's as smooth as it ever was

Unmerciful
Sep 14, 2008

Can anyone help me out with this? Because it's getting to be a little frustrating...

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I'd ask yourself if it matters. Is Firefox getting really slow (or slower) because of it? like is switching tabs slow, is the UI still responsive, whatever.

Is the rest of your computer slow(er) because of it?

If so, look into it.

If everything is fine, then who cares. Especially if you have like 4-8 GB of RAM just sitting around. Using memory is good. It's supposed to keep things speedy.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Unmerciful posted:

Can anyone help me out with this? Because it's getting to be a little frustrating...

Only if you tell me how you got iTunes to use 1/10 of what it uses on my system

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

crestfallen posted:

I'd ask yourself if it matters. Is Firefox getting really slow (or slower) because of it? like is switching tabs slow, is the UI still responsive, whatever.

If so, look into it.

If everything is fine, then who cares. Especially if you have like 4-8 GB of RAM just sitting around. Using memory is good. It's supposed to keep things speedy.

This. It's just caching content so things are faster. Unless you notice some sort of performance loss, it's not a problem. I'm also willing to bet you're either viewing lots of pages with shitloads of images or have had FF open for a very long time. Either of these two scenarios will lead to memory usage like you're seeing. FF will release the memory if another program needs it, so again, don't worry about it.

Unmerciful
Sep 14, 2008

crestfallen posted:

If so, look into it.

No, I wouldn't have a problem but it has gotten very slow, e.g. Youtube videos will buffer quickly but constantly stagger while playing. It's only Firefox and became very noticeable a month or so ago and I have no idea what happened.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Solution: keep the task manager window closed.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
If you look in about:memory, you can probably get a better idea of where the problem is.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Probably the only reason you'd pop open task manager is because you noticed a slowdown in your applications, so you know, there's that.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Or you are an OCD nerd who doesn't want to cause excessive wear and tear on your bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
This sounds like similar issues I was having with javascript before I made a new profile and started anew. I'm going to say that a new profile is probably the first thing you should do if you are having a issue.