Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Aafter posted:

I got a PS3 a few months ago and I don't have many games. I just got the 'buy 2 pre-owned games, get one free' coupon from the GameStop rewards thing. I'm not really sure what to pick up. I'll probably grab the first Uncharted as I've never played any of them. Other than that, I dunno.

What I do have: MGS4, GoW3, Disgaea 4, Amalur, SH: Downpour.

e: I'm also looking to not spend much so older games, preferably. And are there any great RPGs aside from Skyrim?

If you're looking for an older RPG that's pretty awesome, I'm gonna throw in a recommendation for Alpha Protocol. There's a thread for it if you're inclined to dig it up (I think it's linked in this thread's OP, actually) but it's basically an rpg set in modern day, and you play a spy. It does a really good job of making you actually feel like a spy, and you honestly get the feeling that the choices you make in the game matter. I'm at the end of my first playthrough right now so I can't comment on how much the plot changes, but I can definitely point to a few things that I'm going to do differently next time. It's a boatload of fun, and you should be able to pick up a copy for like fifteen bucks or something.

It got poor reviews when it came out because the combat can be a little janky, the AI is a little dated, and I guess it's kind of buggy? I haven't experienced any noticeable bugs in my game so far, but your mileage may vary. It's a game that shows its age a little bit, but it's absolutely worth the money and if you're looking for an RPG that's a change of pace from something like Disgaea or RoF, then definitely give Alpha Protocol a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Yeah, I got it with the Collector's Edition as well and thought it was extremely underwhelming as DLC. The mission itself is extremely shallow and quick to do and really wasn't as cool as I thought it might be. I ended up never using the character in the game except for 1 mission.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Harlock posted:

Yeah, I got it with the Collector's Edition as well and thought it was extremely underwhelming as DLC. The mission itself is extremely shallow and quick to do and really wasn't as cool as I thought it might be. I ended up never using the character in the game except for 1 mission.

The mission is pretty meh, yeah, but the character is one of my favorites and he has some great dialog (I bring him with me everywhere now). Also he's very well integrated into the rest of the game.

e: Oh yeah, I also love the rifle you get with the DLC and it's basically the only weapon I use now.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

I really respect From Software's current stance on DLC even though I would loving kill for some more Dark Sould action right now.
Its not even From's stance, I think that's just the Souls' guys opinion. Armored Core 5 looks to have a bunch of parts DLC, following in the grand tradition of Chromehounds which was doing the whole on-disc DLC thing not long after all the Horse Armor poo poo.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

homeless snail posted:

Its not even From's stance, I think that's just the Souls' guys opinion. Armored Core 5 looks to have a bunch of parts DLC, following in the grand tradition of Chromehounds which was doing the whole on-disc DLC thing not long after all the Horse Armor poo poo.
The Souls games (and Metal Wolf Chaos, and a few others) are made by some kind of awesome alternative universe From that knows everything about good game design.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Harlock posted:

The mission from the DLC itself isn't that great, but the character I think is absolutely essential to the plot, he reveals so much, and adds so much backstory to certain missions, that it's really almost mandatory.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

homeless snail posted:

The DCL for ACV is basically just unlocking parts early. As far as I know, all the parts granted by DLC can be unlocked by leveling up as well.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Aafter posted:

Tried to get Catherine, same poo poo.

Luckily, if you still want it, Catherine can now be downloaded from the Playstation Store for $40.

Code Jockey posted:

Maybe not platting it,

Real men plat Resonance of Fate. :colbert: The final arena trophy is a bitch; I won't blame you for not doing that one.

You know, I've been wondering how long it was going to take people to start taking the so-called "extreme" stance I've taken on day-one DLC, online passes, etc. I won't buy any game new from any company who does that poo poo for any of their games. So far I'm mainly boycotting Sony, EA, Ubisoft, and Capcom. Their disc-based games are purely rentals for me and I won't buy any PSN games from those companies. If everyone keeps letting them get away with that poo poo then they'll keeping pushing more and more. I'm setting my foot down now before they get crazy with it. I'm just one guy so I'm not really hurting their bottom lines, but maybe people will see it my way before long.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Miijhal posted:

The DCL for ACV is basically just unlocking parts early. As far as I know, all the parts granted by DLC can be unlocked by leveling up as well.
Wow, I didn't know that was still done, I thought that was part of the horse armor days of DLC when they didn't know what the gently caress.

Azraden
Oct 26, 2010

Ooh - a crevice
I can get behind you on online passes and on-disc DLC. Day-one DLC, while I'm no fan of, is at least, hopefully, being made during the six months between when the game is shipped and when it is actually released. (Which is also the reason for so many day-one patches)

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
What is everybody's thoughts on DLC included in a downloadable game which requires a 100KB unlock key? There's no disc involved but the DLC is included in the original download.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Miijhal posted:

I want to say the preorder packs have both early unlocks and some exclusive stuff, but I dunno, as usual the preorder DLC is presented in a really confusing way.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Dr Snofeld posted:

Wait, which game is the better one? I keep hearing conflicting opinions.

If you absolutely only have money for one, get Dark Souls. The playerbase (especially goons :respek:) is huge and devoted and likely to stay active for a while. However, if you can spare 2x:10bux: then play through Demon's first, it's an incredible game and Worth Playing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You could just play Demon's after playing through Dark Souls too. The stories are barely connected. The real answer is just play both of them. Order doesn't matter. I think Dark Souls is a better game but Demon's plays a little bit tighter. They are both phenomenal.

Just played through Journey again. I have no idea how I skipped half of the game. I just immediately ended up at the part where the faux water is rising. What's us with that?

It was still cool but lost a lot of impact on the second run. Figuring out some of the multiplayer tricks they use was kind if saddening. especially realizing I was playing the end with a bot

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 20, 2012

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'd say Demon's Souls is the better game, personally. I've beaten it multiple times but could never get into Dark Souls the same way. It's certainly cheaper, so if you don't like it you're not wasting as much money.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Mass Effect 3 is glitchy as gently caress when it comes to my ammo count. It routinely says my ammo is full when I try to pick up an ammo pack, but it's usually not anywhere close to full. And if I do something crazy like switch to a different weapon and back, it's usually deleted a lot of my ammo. Hell, it routinely deletes a lot of my ammo anyway. This happens on every single loving mission so it's not exactly a hard to duplicate bug. Did this game get any testing at all? Glad I'm just renting it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

...! posted:

Mass Effect 3 is glitchy as gently caress when it comes to my ammo count. It routinely says my ammo is full when I try to pick up an ammo pack, but it's usually not anywhere close to full. And if I do something crazy like switch to a different weapon and back, it's usually deleted a lot of my ammo. Hell, it routinely deletes a lot of my ammo anyway. This happens on every single loving mission so it's not exactly a hard to duplicate bug. Did this game get any testing at all? Glad I'm just renting it.
Well, it will regard your ammo as full if your weapon is empty and you are carrying all the ammo outside of your weapon that you can. Could it be that? Otherwise I've never experienced anything like that.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Welp, apparently Ninja Gaiden 3 is utter trash (IGN gave it a 3). Oh Team Ninja, how far you have fallen.

Edit: George Lucas took over Team Ninja :stare:

Rated PG-34 fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Mar 20, 2012

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wasn't the whole premise of the game that they were abandoning all of the things people liked about Ninja Gaiden? Not too surprising.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Rated PG-34 posted:

Welp, apparently Ninja Gaiden 3 is utter trash (IGN gave it a 3).

Christ. :stare:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Just the screenshots alone don't fill me with a lot of confidence. The game looks really awful all around.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

NESguerilla posted:

Wasn't the whole premise of the game that they were abandoning all of the things people liked about Ninja Gaiden? Not too surprising.
From the review it sure did sound like they sat around the meeting room saying "how can we gently caress up a beloved series as much as possible?" and wrote down every way anyone could think of and faithfully implemented it.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Kinda figured the team without Itagaki would make a lovely Ninja Gaiden game. I hate to sound like a jerk but I always found NG and NG2 sigma not very challenging. The new bosses just sucked, and I never liked the direction the game went with it. Like the cosmetic changes like having a characters arm sliced off and it's purple mist or they took out all the blood/gore. Felt like I was just cutting a bunch of mannequin models in half. When I saw the gameplay for NG3, I knew I wasn't going to like it at all. QTEs, lovely rear end wall climbing, one ninpo attack.

And the fact the guy in charge was all selling it on the story and make it more appealing to the "masses" made me knew that game was going to be poo poo. : (

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Wildtortilla posted:

Really? Demon Souls never loses steam? I've been taking a break from Dark Souls to play Ico + Shadow of the Colossus and SSX, but I think Demon Souls will be next in line after those games, again edging out Uncharted 2.

Am I the only person who found Uncharted underwhelming and Uncharted 2 to be even more underwhelming due to all the hype surrounding it?

DS throws out a really lovely level towards the end that noone likes and that can be offputting, though once you get through it the rest of the game is still pretty good. World tendency was a cool idea in theory but in practice was a bit of a mess which is why i'm glad it's not in Dark Souls

The Uncharted games really are best played completely blind. Being so linear, if you even watch gameplay videos of it that can make the game rather underwhelming. I've tried to avoid info on the third game because I still haven't played it but i loved the first two.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

...! posted:

Some Ammo powers raise your capacity when activated. Could that be it?

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Shindragon posted:

Kinda figured the team without Itagaki would make a lovely Ninja Gaiden game. I hate to sound like a jerk but I always found NG and NG2 sigma not very challenging. The new bosses just sucked, and I never liked the direction the game went with it. Like the cosmetic changes like having a characters arm sliced off and it's purple mist or they took out all the blood/gore. Felt like I was just cutting a bunch of mannequin models in half. When I saw the gameplay for NG3, I knew I wasn't going to like it at all. QTEs, lovely rear end wall climbing, one ninpo attack.

And the fact the guy in charge was all selling it on the story and make it more appealing to the "masses" made me knew that game was going to be poo poo. : (

A lot of people feel the way you do, including myself. I thought Sigma 2 was especially bland and boring. The characters they added to the Sigma games really didn't appeal to me either.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

NESguerilla posted:

Just played through Journey again. I have no idea how I skipped half of the game. I just immediately ended up at the part where the faux water is rising. What's us with that?

It was still cool but lost a lot of impact on the second run. Figuring out some of the multiplayer tricks they use was kind if saddening. especially realizing I was playing the end with a bot

Once you've beat the game that ring of buildings in the desert near the start becomes a level select, you probably wandered into one of them instead of finishing that area the normal way. On a first playthrough there are closed gates on all the buildings.

Are you sure about that spoilered part? I've seen people talk about finishing on their own because their companion dropped out, so it certainly doesn't just throw in a bot any time you're alone. Maybe you were just paired with an unresponsive dick for the last part?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

G4 is saying that Crystal Dynamics is working on rebooting the Legacy of Kain series, but more specifically Soul Reaver.

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/721905/soul-reaver-reboot-rumored-for-crystal-dynamics/

quote:

Tomb Raider developer Crystal Dynamics is reportedly working on a reboot of the Legacy of Kain series, and specifically on a re-tooled Soul Reaver, according to an anonymous source speaking to VG247. The rebooted game will apparently embrace a new art direction, but the details pretty much stop there.
There seem to be conflicting reports concerning when this potential reboot will be revealed. VG247 previously heard that the plan was for the initial looks to come in 2012, "possibly at E3," but the more recent source indicated that that may not be the case. Crystal Dynamics presumably has a big E3 ahead already, what with its Tomb Raider reboot ostensibly coming our way later on in 2012.
The Legacy of Kain series has been without a proper new release since 2003's not-terrible PS2/Xbox/PC game Legacy of Kain: Defiance. A reveal next year in 2013 would make it a solid decade since the previous Kain game, and a 2014 release would mark the 15-year anniversary since Soul Reaver's launch. Just saying.

Holy crap, has it really been over a decade since the last game came out?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Cartoon Man posted:

Yeah, Dreamcast and all that. Good news, though. That DLC in Lara Croft Guardian of Light was not enough.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Cartoon Man posted:

G4 is saying that Crystal Dynamics is working on rebooting the Legacy of Kain series, but more specifically Soul Reaver.

Thanks for the offer, guys, but I'm good. There's really no need. No, honestly, it's fine.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Dan Didio posted:

Thanks for the offer, guys, but I'm good. There's really no need. No, honestly, it's fine.

Hey man, it's really hard coming up with new ideas. Like, super hard. So hard we're not even gonna bother. I mean, it's pretty hard.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

No Hennig No Sale, Crystal Dynamics.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I need to see the reception that the rebooted Tomb Raider gets at E3 this year before I get excited about what they could do with Sould Reaver. At the very least, I would assume they would use the new Tomb Raider engine, and from what has been shown so far it should hopefully be up to the task.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Policenaut posted:

No Hennig No Sale, Crystal Dynamics.

Even with Hennig I'd probably still say no.

Crappy Jack posted:

Hey man, it's really hard coming up with new ideas. Like, super hard. So hard we're not even gonna bother. I mean, it's pretty hard.

Are you Motherfuckin' ready!? This is the new poo poo!

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Cartoon Man posted:

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/721905/soul-reaver-reboot-rumored-for-crystal-dynamics/

Well Tony Jay did pass away after the release of Defiance, so it wouldn't really have been the same without him.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Cartoon Man posted:

While I would appreciate some closure in that story I really don't see how it can be a Soul Reaver game unless it's just an HD remake given the end of Defiance.

Ninja edit: Then again there is time travel in the series, so they could really just pull whatever out of their rear end I guess.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Brightman posted:

While I would appreciate some closure in that story I really don't see how it can be a Soul Reaver game unless it's just an HD remake given the end of Defiance.

Ninja edit: Then again there is time travel in the series, so they could really just pull whatever out of their rear end I guess.

A reboot usually implies that they will be starting over from scratch and ignoring any story from the previous games, but there isn't enough information yet to conclude anything. The series always had an insanely convuluted plot, as you said, I wouldn't rule anything out.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Cartoon Man posted:

A reboot usually implies that they will be starting over from scratch and ignoring any story from the previous games, but there isn't enough information yet to conclude anything. The series always had an insanely convuluted plot, as you said, I wouldn't rule anything out.

Oh, good point, somehow skimmed that bit and just thought they were restarting...so no closure anyway, and for the various reasons that have already been brought up it probably won't be that great anyway. Oh well, maybe we'll get lucky somehow.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Ive been kind of meh on the Legacy of Kain franchise after Soul Reaver. The quality simply took a nose dive after that. Defiance in particular was repetitive as hell with the most interesting thing about it being closure to the story and the telekinesis powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cartoon Man posted:

I'm still waiting for Crystal Dynamics to do a sequel to Solar Eclipse. But this will be good too.

• Locked thread