Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Kosher man posted:

You are in luck as the Brewers Association put together a great PDF that can help out big time if you want to do some beer and food pairing and also provides some nice little info on beer styles.

http://www.beertown.org/education/pdf/beer&food.pdf

Ok that link is broken try this one

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...cMWBdFidezf7kvw

Thanks, I was going to get a bottle of local port wine to pair with a cheddar cheese that's marbled with port wine, but maybe I'll pair a barleywine with it like Old Viscosity and get a bottle of wine for the pasta with red sauce we'll have before.

This was last night I paired a sweet maple bacon cheddar cheese with Flying Fish's Exit 8 which is a chestnut brown ale. A lot of sweetness from the local honey comes upfront and the chestnuts cut through somewhat as the beer shows it's Belgian side with some cloves and a mild floral finish. I think they paired pretty well together myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Midorka posted:

Tonight I'm doing a beer pairing with cheese for my first time, I picked up a variety of cheeses but really don't know how to pair cheese and beer. I picked up some cheddar cheese with maple and bacon and I plan to pair it with a Flying Fish Exit 8, I figure it'll be a good pair at least.

Kosher Man's PDF is a fantastic resource and starting point, but I'll put in my two cents as well. I did cheese and beer pairings for a gourmet cheese purveyor in Chicago, and I've run into some general rules of thumb that work well:

-Hoppy beers work perfectly with sharp cheddar and any kind of blue/gorgonzola cheese. Barleywine and imperial stout do the same.
-Malty beers work great with any kind of cheddar or gouda, as well as similar cheeses like gruyere.
-Milder, softer cheeses work well with beers like kölsch, weissbier and other beers with light body and flavor.
-Funky, stinky cheeses generally play nice with Belgian beers of any type.
-Match lighter cheeses with lighter beers, and more intense cheeses with more intense beers.
-The best simple pairing: Pale ale and mild cheddar.

A few of my favorite pairings that I've done:
-Uinta Labyrinth with an American gorgonzola.
-Old Rasputin with aged goat gouda.
-Ska Brewing ESB with a 4-year aged cheddar.
-Founders Centennial IPA with Bavaria Blu, a blue/camembert hybrid. I'm not sure I've ever had a better pairing.

air- posted:

I had Adelbert's biere de garde recently and this was my second experience where the cork popped itself off, flying across the room upon removal of the cage.

I nearly took my nose off with a Lost Abbey Ten Commandments once. :v: This is why I now open all cork/cage beers over the sink, pointing away from me.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Ubik posted:

I nearly took my nose off with a Lost Abbey Ten Commandments once. :v: This is why I now open all cork/cage beers over the sink, pointing away from me.

You found the highly-carbonated Lost Abbey beer! That's like getting a golden ticket, congrats.

We have a high ceiling with a skylight in the kitchen, perfect for aiming the bottle at the skylight. Only twice have I been able to hit the skylight with the cork. One was a St. Bernardus 12, the other was what turned out to be an infected Trois Pistoles that was actually magically funky and delicious. It was the first time I'd had that beer, and in a weird twist I've been continually let down by it since it lacks the sour pucker twang of the infected bottle.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
I got a rare infected Goose Island Matilda, but it was only a little sour, and in a way that didn't go well with the other delicate flavors. Tasted like lacto or something, probably would have gotten better with age. Not terrible, but I would like to taste the beer as it was intended.

Kosher man
May 8, 2002

Midorka posted:

Thanks, I was going to get a bottle of local port wine to pair with a cheddar cheese that's marbled with port wine, but maybe I'll pair a barleywine with it like Old Viscosity and get a bottle of wine for the pasta with red sauce we'll have before.

This was last night I paired a sweet maple bacon cheddar cheese with Flying Fish's Exit 8 which is a chestnut brown ale. A lot of sweetness from the local honey comes upfront and the chestnuts cut through somewhat as the beer shows it's Belgian side with some cloves and a mild floral finish. I think they paired pretty well together myself.

Old viscosity isn't really a barleywine though.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Ubik posted:

Kosher Man's PDF is a fantastic resource and starting point, but I'll put in my two cents as well. I did cheese and beer pairings for a gourmet cheese purveyor in Chicago, and I've run into some general rules of thumb that work well:

-Hoppy beers work perfectly with sharp cheddar and any kind of blue/gorgonzola cheese. Barleywine and imperial stout do the same.
-Malty beers work great with any kind of cheddar or gouda, as well as similar cheeses like gruyere.
-Milder, softer cheeses work well with beers like kölsch, weissbier and other beers with light body and flavor.
-Funky, stinky cheeses generally play nice with Belgian beers of any type.
-Match lighter cheeses with lighter beers, and more intense cheeses with more intense beers.
-The best simple pairing: Pale ale and mild cheddar.

A few of my favorite pairings that I've done:
-Uinta Labyrinth with an American gorgonzola.
-Old Rasputin with aged goat gouda.
-Ska Brewing ESB with a 4-year aged cheddar.
-Founders Centennial IPA with Bavaria Blu, a blue/camembert hybrid. I'm not sure I've ever had a better pairing.

Thanks much for the advice, what sort of beer do you think would work best with a port wine cheddar cheese? Would I be okay using Old Viscosity?

Kosher man posted:

Old viscosity isn't really a barleywine though.

Don't know why, but I thought it was for some reason, I haven't had it but I just assumed it was...Reading the description of it seems like it's bourbon, chocolate, and roasted profile so should I get something sweeter for the port wine cheddar?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

air- posted:

I had Adelbert's biere de garde recently and this was my second experience where the cork popped itself off, flying across the room upon removal of the cage.

This is a good 35% of why I buy a lot of corked and caged beers. I'm a big manchild and I am forever amused by making loud noises and having cork fly around.

Bonus points for the aforementioned removing the cage and poo poo flies apart immediately.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Midorka posted:

Don't know why, but I thought it was for some reason, I haven't had it but I just assumed it was...Reading the description of it seems like it's bourbon, chocolate, and roasted profile so should I get something sweeter for the port wine cheddar?

The "Old" thing is so common for barleywines that I assume anything called Old [whatever] is in the style. It's definitely led me to some kind of disappointing purchases. Most recently, I got a 4 pack of Old Leghumper thinking it was a really good deal for barleywine, only to find it was a robust porter. Still tasty, but not as tasty and strong as I'd hoped.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

air- posted:

Bring some next time you come to TX!

Assuming I can get some before I leave! I have the feeling that in a year's time they'll basically have to do bottle releases like 3F, as opposed to just sticking them in Funkwerks' cooler...

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

SH: Oh yeah, Crooked Stave doesn't bottle? Dammit.

Saw someone post about Abt 12 and St. Bernardus Christmas beer was actually the other cork I had that popped itself off!

Sipping a New Belgium Dunkelweiss at the Moth now. Why do they not make this into a seasonal, it's so refreshing, clovy/citrusy, and just way too easy to drink.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

air- posted:

SH: Oh yeah, Crooked Stave doesn't bottle? Dammit.

He does (it's basically a 1 man operation); I just meant that I bet they'll be more in demand going on as he becomes more than just a local Ft. Collins thing and it's not like he'll have much more capacity than he does now.

I'll do my bestest to bring some over to TX; though it sounds like JK is really making inroads into similar styles of beer since I left.

fishbone
Sep 25, 2003
Totally boned the Captcha for DLD tickets when I guessed wrong on the case-sensitive 'Y'.

That being said, if anyone has an extra ticket, I will gladly trade you a 750 mL bottle of Bells Black Note and a 12 oz bottle of this years KBS (just to sweeten the deal).

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

bartolimu posted:

- Split a Churchill's Finest Hour while sitting next to a table with no fewer than three screaming toddlers.

Fitting, as I personally agree with Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman that all babies look like Winston Churchill to some degree.

On my way back to VA, I hit up Specific Gravity in Salisbury, MD on a goon recommendation. The pizza was spot on and I wish I could go back, but the bottle selection wasn't comparable to the places I went in Ocean City. Did find a bottle of Flying Mouflan, so it certainly wasn't a waste.

So, if you folks are ever going to Ocean City, keep these in mind:

Liquid Assets: Amazing food and bottle selection. If you go nowhere else, go here. Nice atmosphere, with a bar in the middle of the bottle shop and couches for you to lounge around on. Best prices on bottles I could find, to boot.
Pickle's Pub: A few good taps at reasonable prices ($4.20 for pint of Nugget Nectar or Matilda? Yes please) and some nice burgers. The moonshine shooters are way too weak to be called that, though. Also be prepared for washed-up DJ's spinning Jimmy Buffet.
Pizza Tugo's Taphouse: Hey I heard you like Dogfish Head. Great calzones, but I had some really terrible service.
Dogfish Head Pub: Is this in Ocean City? No, it's 45 minutes away. Should you go? Yes. Wednesdays they tap stuff they've been sitting on for a few years, and their food was surprisingly good. I need to know how to make their pizza crust. It's like an orgasmic cracker, and they make it with brewery byproducts. I didn't get to try their vodka, but they do serve it there.
Burley Oak Brewing: Nice startup brewery that has a lot of solid offerings. Their APA and IPA in particular are fantastic, along with a 9 Malt Ale that I wish I could've gotten in bottles. Cheap sample flights and pints.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Retemnav posted:

NYC for St. Paddy's weekend was nuts, but a lot of fun. Only made it to midnight on Sat. night, hung out at the Blind Tiger, which was crowded as hell but we still managed to snag seats at the bar. Was really disappointed because they had Ommegang's Aphrodite on tap, but the keg kicked just before we got there.

Rattle'n'Hum on Friday night was my favorite stop, they were busy but not packed, we got a table, the waitresses were quick and the beer was great. Had Southampton's Biere de Mars, which was just loving fantastic with some food, like drinking a glass of fresh baked bread. Wanted to make it to Ginger Man, but we just ran out of energy at the end of the night.

Brooklyn Brewery was cool, the tour was quick, but better than most. Their history and how they got started in Williamsburg (including run ins with the mafia) is interesting as hell, and the tour guy was entertaining. Had their Irish Stout on cask, which was really, really good. The rest of the stuff they had on that I tried was good, but nothing that stood out as outstanding.

Blind Tiger and R&H are two of my favorite places to go in NYC. If you have a chance, try The Stag's Head. They have a great beer selection and the best burgers I can find in NYC!

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

Tonight ...

I had 2 beers.

First, a Founder's Old Curmudgeon's Better Half : Shared with a Friend.
It was decent. It wasn't as good as I hoped, or as bad as was fearing. It was like a sweeter , maple hinted Curmudgeon. Lots of alcohol in it... the lacing was beautiful.

Second, a Leinenkugels(sp?) Big Eddy. Local shop was clearning out the 2011 4 packs, with a $12 price tag and a free Big Eddy Snifter. Really enjoying this beer. It's smooth, it's got the flavors I like and the hops arent dominant at all. Excellent brew.

I also snagged bottles of DFH 75 minute IPA and Terrapin's Peotch .

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Yesterday I found a sixer of Dale's canned 3/12. Yesterday. In Virginia. At Giant.

They have some awesome logistics set up with the distributor here.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I'm on a bit of a quest to find a great everyday pilsner (a real one, not lovely American adjunct lager). Today's entry is Great Divide's Nomad. It's almost really awesome but I find it too bitter. Very nice aroma of floral, grassy hops and sweet, bready malt. There's good body and some malt sweetness, but the finish is pure IPA bitterness and it hangs around on your tongue. If they dialed that back a bit it would be quite awesome. It's also like $10 for a sixer which seems excessive.

So far it's still a tossup between New Belgium Blue Paddle and Avery Joe's Pilsner.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
If you let it get old some of that bitterness could very well fade

my poor, poor autumn ipas :(

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

two_beer_bishes posted:

Blind Tiger and R&H are two of my favorite places to go in NYC. If you have a chance, try The Stag's Head. They have a great beer selection and the best burgers I can find in NYC!

Probably won't make it back up there this year, but I'll definitely try and remember it.

Docjowles posted:

I'm on a bit of a quest to find a great everyday pilsner (a real one, not lovely American adjunct lager). Today's entry is Great Divide's Nomad. It's almost really awesome but I find it too bitter. Very nice aroma of floral, grassy hops and sweet, bready malt. There's good body and some malt sweetness, but the finish is pure IPA bitterness and it hangs around on your tongue. If they dialed that back a bit it would be quite awesome. It's also like $10 for a sixer which seems excessive.

So far it's still a tossup between New Belgium Blue Paddle and Avery Joe's Pilsner.

What about Prima Pils?

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Docjowles posted:

Prima Pils is my favorite, but it's pricey. Avery Joe's tastes good. Left hand Polestar Pilsner is decent, maybe a little light. Mama's Little Yellow Pils is pretty inexpensive, for Oskar Blues.

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

Sometimes I look for Rupees.
Prima is my favorite, but I like Troegs Sunshine Pils a lot too. The one time I had Mama Yella I wasn't a fan, but that was a few years back.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Vertigo posted:

Second, a Leinenkugels(sp?) Big Eddy. Local shop was clearning out the 2011 4 packs, with a $12 price tag and a free Big Eddy Snifter. Really enjoying this beer. It's smooth, it's got the flavors I like and the hops arent dominant at all. Excellent brew.

There is a place not that far from here that has good food and a bar attached. The bar has lovely beers, but recently they added Big Eddy to the tap list. It's great, and I get one every time we go.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Prima is really good, but I've had several bad experiences out here with it being pretty old. After blowing $10-11 on a sixpack it sucks to get an oxidized, faded-hop product.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Can't really go wrong with Sam Adams Noble Pils, especially now that it's year-round. The only stores around me that carry them are Wal-Marts, and I feel strange going there specifically to pick up a beer that I can't get anywhere else.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

deadwing posted:

Can't really go wrong with Sam Adams Noble Pils, especially now that it's year-round. The only stores around me that carry them are Wal-Marts, and I feel strange going there specifically to pick up a beer that I can't get anywhere else.

Yeah... one time I looked at Wal-Marts beer selection and kinda chuckled. Their craft brew selection consists of: Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, and usually a regional brewery (for me, it's GLBC)

Not that I was surprised or anything, it's Wal Mart after all...

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

I cant find any Noble Pils for the life of me around here...

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Hey I'm going to be flying out to Denver at the end of April to pilot and finalize all of Cigar City's can artwork so if anyone wants to goon out and drink a beer or two with myself (and the owner of CCB) lemme know. It'll be awkward as hell probably!

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

bananasinpajamas posted:

Hey I'm going to be flying out to Denver at the end of April to pilot and finalize all of Cigar City's can artwork so if anyone wants to goon out and drink a beer or two with myself (and the owner of CCB) lemme know. It'll be awkward as hell probably!

I cant wait to bring home some Tocobago Cans when I visit Jax

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Vertigo posted:

Big Eddy is a brand with multiple beers, all big ones. Which one did you have? I have some 2011 RIS I keep saying Im going to try...

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

rage-saq posted:

When I heard they were making a new batch of this for early 2012 release I was trepidations, the original 2010 batch remains among one of my favorite all time beers. I often describe it as "St Sixtus and Orval doing a collaboration beer" as it marries the great qualities of a nice quad with the nice funkiness of Orval.
The reason for my doubts was the fact that the brain behind this beer, Chad Yakobson, had left Odell in late 2010 or early 2011 to start his own brewery, Crooked Stave. Chad is an amazing brewer and is amazing with his use of brett and I thought that it would be hard for them to pull it off again without his expertise.
Fortunately for Odell pull it off they did, with some slight differences that are neither improvements or downgrades. It still pulls off a good rich quad character with a nice brett B pineapple funk to it and a nice subtle underlying vanilla oak character. Also like Orval its carbonated as gently caress and likes to outgrow the glass its put in.
I would say its got a little more robust dark malt character compared to the first batch and is a little more boldly flavored overall and not quite as nuanced as the first batch. I'm going to have to go and pick up a few more of these before its gone.

Anyone wiling to trade me one of these? Can't get it in the midwest, and it sounds super interesting.

James Bont
Apr 20, 2007
do you expect me to talk?
Man, hit up Bruery Provisions earlier since I was in the neighborhood. Great idea. Did the specialty flight, 5 2 oz samplers for $8. Filmishmish or something like that, an apricot sour, was pretty drat great. Super refreshing. I would love to have a couple of bottles of that for the summer. Not too acidic but just that nice tart lemony funky goodness, think it was probably brett. Humulus lager was just a heavily hopped lager, also a great hot weather beer. Tasted like it had a good amount of citra. Sour in the Rye was probably my favorite, that was a bit more acidic and lip puckering and complex and great. Reminded me a bit of Supplication. White Oak was good, but maybe a little sweet and oaky for my liking, but would probably age pretty drat well. Last was chocosaurus rye, the collaboration between Bruery/ Bootleggers. Really chocolatey, but I wasn't crazy about the mouthfeel all that rye gave it. Overall it was good though. Definitely gotta go there more often, it's not that much of a drive from the homebrew shop I go to anyways. And I need lots of money to blow on bottles since all the ones I wanted were like 20-30 a bottle. So so good though.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Wait, so this year's red poppy is out. Hmm. I went down there last year for it, but I ended up finding it everywhere in Los Angeles weeks after.

So hey, gotta start looking. Bought a variety six pack of Great Divide stuff tonight. Looking forward to tasting HOSS and NOMAD.

I'm not sure I like the way the provisions store is after they are now allowed to serve full pints. It used to be that they couldn't serve more than 2oz pours on non-bruery stuff, so they would make a lot of theme flights of other breweries beers.

So you can walk out of there trying 5-10 beers without the feeling like you shouldn't be driving. The new patio area is cool though. I can't wait till that is open.

James Bont
Apr 20, 2007
do you expect me to talk?
Yeah, Red Poppy has been pretty tough to find this year, I don't know what's up with that. Just this past summer I was able to find 2011 and even a couple of 2010 bottles still, but as soon as this years came out it was all gone and I haven't seen it again since. That's a bummer they used to have flights of the other beers too at Provisions, there were some other non-bruery beers I wanted to try but I still had to drive. Speaking of bruery provisions poo poo, I should've asked if they had any red poppy. I know for sure they had cuvee de tomme, I just didn't even think to check for red poppy though. Oh well.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

bananasinpajamas posted:

Any idea what you guys are sending to 3 Floyds in return for the stuff they sent you for Hunahpu Day?

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

James Bont posted:

Man, hit up Bruery Provisions earlier since I was in the neighborhood. Great idea. Did the specialty flight, 5 2 oz samplers for $8. Filmishmish or something like that, an apricot sour, was pretty drat great. Super refreshing. I would love to have a couple of bottles of that for the summer. Not too acidic but just that nice tart lemony funky goodness, think it was probably brett. Humulus lager was just a heavily hopped lager, also a great hot weather beer. Tasted like it had a good amount of citra. Sour in the Rye was probably my favorite, that was a bit more acidic and lip puckering and complex and great. Reminded me a bit of Supplication. White Oak was good, but maybe a little sweet and oaky for my liking, but would probably age pretty drat well. Last was chocosaurus rye, the collaboration between Bruery/ Bootleggers. Really chocolatey, but I wasn't crazy about the mouthfeel all that rye gave it. Overall it was good though.
That was the specialty sampler I had, couldn't remember everything that was in it. I liked chocosaurus rye because it smells exactly like a tootsie roll and tastes pretty good too, but I definitely don't want a whole bottle of it or anything. A couple of ounces was the right serving size.

James Bont posted:

Yeah, Red Poppy has been pretty tough to find this year, I don't know what's up with that.
Give it a little time, it released on Saturday and I'm pretty sure they kept it all to the brewery for that. They'll probably start shipping bottles soon if you're lucky enough to live somewhere they sell it. You don't want to drink it yet anyhow; it needs at least a few months in bottle to sour up and gain complexity.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
Victory is opening another brewery in Parkesburg, PA

http://victorybeer.com/blog/more-victory-to-love/

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

bananasinpajamas posted:

I'll be in SF :(

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Old Viscosity with port wine marbled cheese didn't work too well, wound up mostly drinking the local port wine we had which worked better. I read a few reviews thinking Old Viscosity was going to have more chocolate flavor than it did, the strong black coffee flavor just didn't work too well with the cheese. Lesson learned.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Midorka posted:

Old Viscosity with port wine marbled cheese didn't work too well, wound up mostly drinking the local port wine we had which worked better. I read a few reviews thinking Old Viscosity was going to have more chocolate flavor than it did, the strong black coffee flavor just didn't work too well with the cheese. Lesson learned.

Are you not testing these out yourself before you serve them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

yes yes i see, i understand
:wal::respek::stat:

Munkaboo posted:

I cant find any Noble Pils for the life of me around here...

No seriously go to Sam Adam's website and do a search for it, Wal-Mart is actually your best bet right now.