Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Nicolai is a real rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
Reviews for ORC are all over the place. Most of the mainstream ones I've seen are panning the poo poo out of it (5/10 or below) but there's tons of amateur hour blogs and websites giving it top reviews. I don't know what to believe. :saddowns:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

So uh anyone know what the deal is with the patch update on PS3? Popped the game in and now its making me download a 159MB "Downloadable Content" update. I thought all this stuff was on disc to begin with!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Policenaut posted:

So uh anyone know what the deal is with the patch update on PS3? Popped the game in and now its making me download a 159MB "Downloadable Content" update. I thought all this stuff was on disc to begin with!

No idea. I only had a 3mb one on the 360. Isn't that good thing though? Now people can't be all up in arms about the DLC being on the disc.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
So... any goon consensus yet? My game is still in the mail, but those reviews are lower than mediocre.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I haven't played it enough yet to form an opinion on it, but I just noticed that one of the generic US Spec Ops voice actors is Bender from Futurama. So now I get really sad when I kill some soldiers because I hear Bender dying.

skog
Aug 20, 2009
It's a complete piece of poo poo, I cant believe how little I enjoyed the multiplayer (could barely tell whats going on) and the single player was awful as well (though I wasn't expecting much to begin with). I'm a huge RE fan and I couldn't play more than four hours without just giving up on it in frustration. I've already put my copy up on SA mart

skog fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 20, 2012

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Ugh. I preordered this from Capcom because a friend wanted to play it co-op but if it's really that bad...

Can you return stuff to them if its unopened? I'm waiting for a few more impressions and maybe a Giantbomb quicklook but it's sounding pretty dire.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Policenaut posted:

I haven't played it enough yet to form an opinion on it, but I just noticed that one of the generic US Spec Ops voice actors is Bender from Futurama. So now I get really sad when I kill some soldiers because I hear Bender dying.

Just imagine they are Wakka from FFX then.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Wait, Operation Raccoon City is out?? I've heard so little about it recently that I thought it wasn't hitting for a while. Ugh sad to hear that it sucks, though I'm really not surprised after seeing the trailers.

Between that, Resident Evil Revelations, the Silent Hill: HD collection and SH: Downpour all that awesome survival horror goodness I thought we were getting has just turned out to be a huge loving pile of poo poo.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Yodzilla posted:

Wait, Operation Raccoon City is out?? I've heard so little about it recently that I thought it wasn't hitting for a while. Ugh sad to hear that it sucks, though I'm really not surprised after seeing the trailers.

Between that, Resident Evil Revelations, the Silent Hill: HD collection and SH: Downpour all that awesome survival horror goodness I thought we were getting has just turned out to be a huge loving pile of poo poo.

I thought people liked Revelations?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

What's wrong with the Silent Hill collection? I was looking forward to that :(

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Wow, uh, the AI in this game is loving garbage. I reached the part where Nicholai is loving around in the City Hall and during the sequence running away from Lickers my team ran into walls, triggered mines, and shot at each other. So I ran to the exit, only to turn around and find one running against a wall, another attacking me as a zombie, and the other dead.

drat it, the online better be decent.

homeless snail posted:

DEATH IS CERTAIN

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Played the PS3 version at a friends house, finished it to, had to do it online with randoms because it doesn't have local co-op, sweet job on that one that Capcom. :thumbsup:

Its a little ugly, movement is very stilted and janky, soundtrack is spot on at least then again most RE games have good tunes.

The gameplay itself can get quite hectic if a bit frustrating, zombies come at you in masse and, you got the regular ones alongside crimson reds, lickers and hunters pop up sometimes.

There's a few good set-pieces here and there but any battle against human A.I opponents is astonishingly frustrating, they have pin point accuracy and will destroy you in melee combat, there's one particular section where some dude is sniping at you and he'll you from wherever, its a huge pain.

The final battle has the strangest transition I have ever seen.

You choose if you want to defend Leon or execute him, you are then transported to an arena where you face off against the people that choose to defend him, no dialogue, no nothing, just a weird transition and shoot each other time, its incredibly weird. Leon is also a huge bullet sponge and will utterly destroy you.

Also if you had any intention of playing this for single player, don't, the game is structured entirely for online, even the single player uses a lobby system, its very reminiscent of Lost Planet 2 in that regard.

The A.I is predictably horrible and will hinder you more than your hurt you.

The online is really fun, the horde style mode gets completely and utterly insane and even regular deathmatches go crazy when you have an A.I nemesis running around.

Its an ok game, won't set the world on fire but good for a few weeks, it honestly comes off as a Resident Evil game for the CoD crowd.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Policenaut posted:

DEATH IS CERTAIN

I never played the originals so almost none of that matters to me. I have no original version to compare it to in my head, so I totally don't give a poo poo. Bought it this morning, and gonna play some Silent Hill 2 after class and work tonight, aw yeah.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Revitalized posted:

No one I know did. I mean, it looks okay on the 3DS I guess but the story is garbage (even for a RE game) and it's just not fun to play at all. Completely and utterly forgettable.

homeless snail posted:

The changed the script, voice acting, music (if I remember correctly) and they washed out the screen completely. They got rid of the noise and other visual effects and cranked up the gamma so instead of being dark and moody everything is now really plain and gray and it looks way worse than the PC ports of all of those games that were released years ago. It's a complete mess.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

An odd duck of a game indeed. It sounds like it would be a lot better as a "pick it up for cheap in a few months" game but since it's online focused there's a good chance it would basically be unplayable in a few months. Welp.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Forgot to post my biggest gripe with the game, reviving people sucks, you'll get near their body and if theirs a weapon nearby you'll end up picking it up like 20 times before you managed to revive your teammate, they really should have mapped that to another button. There isn't even an animation for when you revive someone, you stand over them and they sorta teleport back to their feet.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I played a couple of the campaign missions, and a few rounds of team attack, but I am not sure how I feel yet. I will say that playing the campaign solo is probably the wrong choice.

I kind of like the multiplay so far, but it does seem really team-play heavy. It's easy to get sideswiped if you aren't around a teammate or two who are covering other directions. It also takes a bit of getting used to - you have to be able to quickly tell if a moving body is a player or a zombie, but I don't find that too hard. Some rounds I barely noticed the AI zombies, and some rounds you would have hunters or lickers or some poo poo all over you. I kind of like the hectic nature of it so far.

I do have a couple of issues so far though. If someone melee attacks you, you are more often then not going to be stunlocked unless someone helps you or they miss a swing. I also feel like the Umbrella guys, being dressed in mostly black, are harder to see than the Spec Ops guys who are wearing green/tan. This only seemed to matter much on the levels that take place outside, and then only in certain areas, so not as huge of deal as it may sound. While personally I am generally not a fan of 'grenade buttons' in games, the grenades in this game don't seem to be too strong, but a well-placed one can still gently caress people up.

I also heard someone complaining about how you run out of ammo very quickly - I think it helps keep the game moving. You have to move around to pick up ammo boxes or new weapons, because the AI monsters drain your ammo. I think it also helps make the different weapons more interesting - shotguns own but you can only care a handful of shells, and I've had a lot of success using the heavy machine gun.

I think the game has its flaws, but I do find myself wanting to play more, at least for now. Basically, the campaign is silly because the AI soldiers chip you down way too quickly and easily. It's definitely versus-mode focused. Also, I don't play too many games on Xbox Live, but for whatever reason people in this game love to strafe about 1/2 their width back and forth, which makes it look like they are dodging around but it really doesn't do anything for them.

Risky
May 18, 2003

Why does it take an entire magazine dump to kill one loving zombie???

I had a feeling the game wouldn't live up to my expectations because of Slant Six but I tried to persuade myself it would be awesome. It's only tolerable to me because I'm such a huge RE fan. I'm really glad I didn't get the special edition of this game.

Also, not being able to dodge/roll without running is really retarded.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

So when did Nicholai go from vague evil mastermind to the loving Joker? No seriously!

Another marvel of AI: I heal Lupo after she takes an explosion to the face with my first aid spray, notice that there's a laptop nearby so I maneuver around her to go use it, only for her AI to consider me navigating around her a sign she should get out of my way... directly forward into the laser-armed door and takes another explosion to the face, wasting the healing spray I used on her.

This game's AI is like RE5 2.0. Don't play with AI, play with humans.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
This Joystiq review makes it sound like Alpha Protocol in that 90% of the time it's best just to pop on invisibility and run straight past everything: http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/20/resident-evil-operation-raccoon-city-review/

Chocolate America
Nov 5, 2008

by garbage day

Risky posted:

Why does it take an entire magazine dump to kill one loving zombie???

Are you aiming for the head?

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Revitalized posted:

I loved it and it got plenty of love around here. I don't think his opinion is the consensus opinion.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Game is decent. I think your enjoyment of the game will be dependent on who you're playing with.

Ending this post to get on XBL. Hit me up as Wacky Bat.

DehatstyTopinbout
Dec 28, 2004

C4
is the motherfucking answer
I liked how ORC sounded on paper but I'm bummed to hear that it's this jankity and hosed. I can't justify paying for it new and buying it used later will be pointless. :sigh: Hopefully RE6 turns out well.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

citizenlowell posted:

I loved it and it got plenty of love around here. I don't think his opinion is the consensus opinion.

Yeah, it's easily my GOTY so far and I am actually pretty surprised to hear some people hated it.

FlashFearless
Nov 4, 2004
Death. But not for you, Gunslinger. Never for you.

If you'd like to try it out, I suggest at least giving it a rental with how fast online communities die out these days. I'm having great fun with it, and I hate to think people are going to miss out on it because of some unfavorable reviews.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

citizenlowell posted:

I got the impression that Revelations was well-received pretty much everywhere, mostly being obscure because nobody owns a loving 3DS.

I've been playing it and think it's really the best mainstream RE game since 4 and is a whole lot of fun; Raid mode gives it a very long and cool afterlife, too. I've already sunk more hours into RE:R than RE:5 or a huge majority of other single player centric games - largely because everyone playing Raid mode is level 40/50 and I'm still like level 12, I've not played much multiplayer yet.

Contest Winner posted:

I played a couple of the campaign missions, and a few rounds of team attack, but I am not sure how I feel yet. I will say that playing the campaign solo is probably the wrong choice.

Both my girlfriend and I tried playing for an hour or so after picking it up last night on the hardest difficulty and we couldn't clear the first room in the game. In single player, not co-op, as we didn't get two copies under the impression the game would have split screen given it's co-op focus. I'm half wondering if you're not SUPPOSED to play the hardest difficulty until you level up your characters?

I mean Jesus, it throws you into a room that's so dark you can't see what you're shooting at with no vision modes fighting a room full of people who take an entire clip of bullets to die even if you're scoring nothing but head shots as the very first thing you do! I mean holy poo poo, I'm all for dropping you straight into kick your rear end hardcore scenarios right off the bat but really, this is the first room! Could you at least wait until the second room to kick my rear end?

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 20, 2012

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I remember confrontation being a piece of poo poo on release, but I do know that it got more and more playable as time went on.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Blazing Ownager posted:

Both my girlfriend and I tried playing for an hour or so after picking it up last night on the hardest difficulty and we couldn't clear the first room in the game. In single player, not co-op, as we didn't get two copies under the impression the game would have split screen given it's co-op focus. I'm half wondering if you're not SUPPOSED to play the hardest difficulty until you level up your characters?

I mean Jesus, it throws you into a room that's so dark you can't see what you're shooting at with no vision modes fighting a room full of people who take an entire clip of bullets to die even if you're scoring nothing but head shots as the very first thing you do! I mean holy poo poo, I'm all for dropping you straight into kick your rear end hardcore scenarios right off the bat but really, this is the first room! Could you at least wait until the second room to kick my rear end?

I just played on normal, and it wasn't very hard. The AI soldiers take a few too many shots to kill, and are far too accurate. Your AI squad is also dumb as poo poo. Honestly I'd either play it public and let other join or just pass and jump right into versus. The one upside seems to be that you make 3-5k EXP a mission, so at least there is some reward.

As far as online, I am okay with how tough the zombies are, really. Headshots are key, but maybe they could take a shot or too less to the body to kill. I am also fine with the lickers/hunters taking quite a bit to kill - they actually don't hit TOO hard, but they take some effort to put down. I'd rather them be a real threat than some quick points. I haven't seen anyone use the Field Scientist's ability to take control on a monster yet, either.

The way it is set up, I think they could easiler tweak monster health/weapon stats/ability stats, but I hope they actually take the opportunity. Ammo management it up there, and once people learn where the ammo refill boxes are on each level it will be less of an issue, but I still think that you kind of have to come to terms with the fact that, sometimes, you are gonna have to pick a gun up off the ground and use it, even if it's not your preferred type of weapon.

FlashFearless
Nov 4, 2004
Death. But not for you, Gunslinger. Never for you.

Haha, I just played my first round of Survivor online and it was awesome. The enemy team all had mics and stuck together the whole time, so my team was having a hard time keeping up. When the chopper landed, their whole team bolted and started trying to board at the same time. I dashed in behind them with my Heavy Machinegun and wasted the whole lot of them simultaneously, then climbed on and road away by myself.

Azzy
May 10, 2003

Innit.
I'm up for some co-op Add me to the metatag.

GT: azzystyle

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Azzy posted:

I'm up for some co-op Add me to the metatag.

GT: azzystyle

I'll be getting on the meta-tag ORCGoons in about an hour and adding everyone that has requested or asked to be added so far.

EDIT: Added all that I have gotten requests from up to Azzystar, if you aren't added, let me know.

Mouser.. fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 20, 2012

skog
Aug 20, 2009
Might have a better time playing with goon, GT is Omarxfd

I'll add the metatag in a bit

joneswt
Feb 22, 2011

Well, I've already bought it, so if it sucks then oh well. At least I've got a friend who has it too.

PSN: Willdabeast05

Boxing Snatcher
Jul 4, 2011

I have been looking for some great Beef Jerky since my local convenience store changed owners.
Just finished playing with some guys. I had a blast. It's everything I wanted it to be. I will be on most likely all day so if anyone wants to play. I love shooting my team before they turn into zombies, and the way they blow apart when zombiefied is gorgeous.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Yeah, it's not the smoothest game I've ever played, but I just met three guys that communicated well and we've been having a loving blast in multiplayer. Really does get so much better with good people.

Teamwork really is essential.Running off on your own is stupid and will almost always get you killed against players that stick together barring a lucky grenade throw.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I really want to get Raccoon City but I want it for PC though now I'm starting to worry that there will be like no online community for PC by then..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Wow, they sure weren't loving around with that Nemesis fight. I was stupid and played Vector with the best SMG and it took 6 deaths to figure out how to beat him (just let the Spec Ops guys throw infinite grenades)