Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

azerdude32 posted:

It's like I'm falling in and out of lust. :allears:

I totally understand this. Every winter, when my car is on stock wheels and the coilovers are raised up, I get the itch to sell it and get into something new, just for a change. I get bored with it and I start car shopping. This year I found the car that I would replace it with and even posted a brief comment (on AZ) as a feeler that it might be for sale for the right price. In three days, I got 10 PMs asking about it and 3 of them from serious buyers who didn't bat an eye when I mentioned what I'd want to get for it (a little bit over book value with all the mods and wheels included). There are two local guys who are interested as well. At the end of the day though, I just can't go through with a sale. When it's clean and shiny, it's my favorite thing in the world.

I'm planning to put the summer wheels back on and lower the coils next weekend, and I'm sure I'll fall back in love with it and never want to sell it. At least until next winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Method Loser posted:

hokey well it's upgrade time for my Z.

this is my car:

It's time for it to make more power. It's making about 390whp or so currently, which I find isn't enough. I'm looking to add more power, and I'm torn. I really want 600whp or so, but I feel that may destroy how fun the car is to drive, and make it less fun-fast and more frightening-fast. Also the required turbos to do such a thing may spool later than I want, whereas if I aim lower, I can use something somewhat smaller. What do other people think? Should I aim lower? 500 or 550 to the wheels? What would YOU do?

Nice. This is one car next to the NSX I have always liked. One day when I get the money I will own one. Timeless looks.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

azerdude32 posted:

I'm thinking of selling this...

2001 Audi S4 Avant

I dunno man, when you posted a photo of it a few weeks ago saying you were thinking of selling it I almost replied with "how much?" I'm trying to get rid of my 10 year old commuter in favor of some kind of new wagon that would fit all my gear but also get good mileage and be reliable for 10 years like my current ride was until a month ago. Part of me though just wants an awesome used, fun daily driver like yours. That Fiat still isn't as cool as your Avant but it is new and will be fun and get better mileage, so why not go for it?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

davebo posted:

I dunno man, when you posted a photo of it a few weeks ago saying you were thinking of selling it I almost replied with "how much?"
Then I will go ahead and ask....

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
If you lived in Europe/UK I'd say go for it, as the awesome Avant models are far more common here. Also I understand that the 500 is several hundred pounds lighter here than in the US due to safety and cupholders for :btroll:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
So basically the moral of the story is I'm crazy.

I clearly have to test drive the Abarth, so when I do I shall report back. Thank you AI

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
The natural cycle: Wash car on Saturday with the understanding that there's no rain in the forecast until Monday; get rained on on Sunday.

And because it's basically spring in Austin, it was also covered in pollen almost immediately.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
^^^ my neighbor (he's an owner/operator OTR trucker, keeps his big rig parked on the road between his house and mine) was telling me the other day that he has owned his truck for like 12 years now and never gotten more than two days out of a wash. It's kinda funny because I see him out there at least a couple times a week washing it, so I know he's not making it up.

Method Loser posted:

These cars are definitely geared all silly-like. 70-something mph in second? Sure! However, it should make it easier to drive with a whole shitload of power, as I plan, so there's that.
My first XJ did 95 in second if I held the pedal to the floor for a few minutes. 4.0L, AW4 trans, 3.55 axle gears, and 285/75R16s.

I never did find its top speed in third or overdrive. Overdrive max was probably lower than third max due to wind drag... I was afraid to go any faster than about 110 and it still had a little bit left in it.

(For those of you thinking I am a pansy for wimping out at 110... remember... this is a lifted jeep with a floppy suspension and more body roll than some sports cars have suspension travel. It was a white knuckle ride at anything above 80)

kastein fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 19, 2012

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.
This is my 2002 Renault Twingo, it's in Privilege trim with a QuickShift-5 automated manual gearbox. The little 1.2 litre 16v engine delivers 55kW, which is sufficient in a car that only weighs 825kg. Also the tiny engine has the distinct advantage of averaging around 50MPG when I drive with a lead foot and easily upwards of 60MPG when I put some effort in to it.

So far the only thing I've changed about it is the tyres. It came on horrible 155/65R14 Kleber brand tyres when I bought it, which simply couldn't cope with all that power. The current GoodYear 165/60R14 have no such problems, not to mention it got rid of the car's annoying desire to understeer a lot.

Image hosting is my own.

I heard you guys like spacious enginebays.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Out with the new:

In with the old:

2 doors, 5 gears and 6 cylinders all in a row.

One of the main reasons I bought it was so I could reuse the summer wheels and tires I just put a grand into for the IS. It's also the same motor and transmission so I am familiar with working on it. It came with a separate set of winter wheels and tires, full set of brand new factory service manuals, extra floor mats, full service records and a factory installed radar detector. I don't love it like I did my IS, I really miss how that thing steered, but it is pretty awesome on the highway and despite being 10 years older than the IS actually has 10k less miles on it.

20 year old car with less than 100k miles on it :aaaaa: Between that and being a manual (uncommon in this car) I had to snatch it up. Also the best factory sound system I've ever heard, 7 speakers and a dual amplified 10" sub. I love all the 90s relics I find all over the place, it's got a power antenna, trunk mounted CD changer, cornering lights and a factory car phone...it just oozes character. I think people look at this as a very influential car from the golden age of Japanese cars. I've had more people talk to me about this car in the few short weeks I've had it than they did my IS in the years I had it. It's really growing on me.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Nice SC. Its a drat shame that they made second generation a giant piece of poo poo though.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
If you're kinda close to the Canadian border I bet you can get a ton of spare parts for those. I see a shitload of JDM Soarers every summer, and usually at least one or two half-cuts showing up in local junkyards.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Deedle posted:

This is my 2002 Renault Twingo, it's in Privilege trim with a QuickShift-5 automated manual gearbox. The little 1.2 litre 16v engine delivers 55kW, which is sufficient in a car that only weighs 825kg. Also the tiny engine has the distinct advantage of averaging around 50MPG when I drive with a lead foot and easily upwards of 60MPG when I put some effort in to it.

So far the only thing I've changed about it is the tyres. It came on horrible 155/65R14 Kleber brand tyres when I bought it, which simply couldn't cope with all that power. The current GoodYear 165/60R14 have no such problems, not to mention it got rid of the car's annoying desire to understeer a lot.

Image hosting is my own.

I heard you guys like spacious enginebays.

AAaaaaaaaa it's so cute! :neckbeard:

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I just bought a new car! Well not new new but at least its a 2008.
Its also so loving economic i could puke!

But look at its happy smile!

Man am i gonna miss my 2,5l 5 cylinder Volvo. But with the fuel prices this high its just impossible to keep driving that swedish monstrosity.

Shai-Hulud fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 19, 2012

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

nattrass posted:

1995 Celica GT-Four jap import. 300bhp, volk te37's. Goes pretty well, wank tyres though (avon zz1, NEVER buy these tyres). Original skirts, TRD front and rear spats.

Nice. Easily the nicest wheels for the ST205 :)

Have you joined the GT4OC yet? If not, get on it - https://www.gt4oc.net

//edit: Here's mine, cross-posted from the "What did you do to your ride today" thread?

Got some OZ Superturismos in 17" to go on yet, when I can find a jack low enough to get under the thing.

Here's a pic of it when I first got it back in January 2009 :)

GazChap fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 19, 2012

pepperoniroller
Sep 11, 2001

Got myself a b-day present:

Complete frame off restoration. New paint, interior, chrome, rebuilt engine, new floors, 409 V8 425HP

Probably nobodies bag here, but my other toy:

1979 Monte carlo, 3 CCE Comp pumps, 6 batteries, 12s in the rear 8s in the front, chain bridge. Stands 3 with ease

I have new red 13x7 OG Wire chinas for it, havent put them on yet:

pepperoniroller fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 20, 2012

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
That Impala is crazy nice. You're not gonna juice that thing too are you?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
That impala is pretty much the most perfect boulevard cruiser type car I've ever seen. Gorgeous, convertible, plenty of power, and still manual

pepperoniroller
Sep 11, 2001

dphi posted:

That Impala is crazy nice. You're not gonna juice that thing too are you?

Absolutely NOT :) That thing will never be cut, it's staying as is

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Driving sideways~

It's sad how the best pictures happen when you screw up

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

pepperoniroller posted:

Those wheels are outstanding. Not my cup of tea but I like your rides :)

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

Admirable Gusto posted:

Driving sideways~

Excellent avatar - post matching.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
So furthering my Abarth vs. Avant dilemma, I went to the Fiat dealership to sit in and try a regular 500 Sport to see how I liked the car (the Abarth will be a totally different car) Here's a small review from my eyes...

I have absolutely no problems with the 500. My head rubbed the ceiling a few times (it had the sun roof, which is a must for me) but other than that it was a short and pleasant experience. I felt a bit cramped, it's hard to describe but the A pillar and top of the front window felt very close to me and in-my-face. I feel like that had partially to do with the seats being really high up, they were on their lowest setting and I still found myself wanting them lower (perhaps Sabelts would be lower?). The standard 500 seats were very comfy and squishy. I was very pleased with the feel of all the dash buttons in the car for the radio and climate controls, they were soft and pleasant to touch. :3:

Now, the clutch was very interesting. It's extremely different feeling from my S4, in the sense that there is virtually NO pedal feel. The pedal takes absolutely no effort to press into the floor, you could probably engage the clutch with a flacid penis. Then when you are searching for the catch point it just kinda happens somewhere and you don't know when it will catch, it just kind of does. In the S4 the clutch pedal has LOTS of feel/weight behind it and it's obvious when it is going to catch. I could live with it, but I would prefer more feel behind a clutch pedal. As for the sport button (in the 500 Sport), I only noticed an increase in responsiveness from the throttle, as if the throttle body was quicker to open/close upon pedal input.

Also, I brought my golf bag to the dealership to try and fit in the 500. I had a fair amount of doubt as to whether or not they would fit, and to my utter amazement they fit with putting only one seat down. :dance:

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

Admirable Gusto posted:

Driving sideways~

Nice. Where was this?

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

DogDodger posted:

Nice. Where was this?

Thunderhill turn 10 (a little too fast)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Octopus Magic posted:

AAaaaaaaaa it's so cute! :neckbeard:

It needs eyelashes to be perfect~~~~

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
I'm glad at least some Europeans posted recently so I'm not lost in only a sea of awesome old cars.

I recently got this:

Which to anyone in Europe will no doubt immediately seem an ordinary and common car (it's a Vauxhall Astra H estate, 2007-2008 ish). Which it is.
But it's a ton newer than anything I had before, dammit!

Yes, it has the miniscule 1248cc diesel engine that somehow produces 90hp/200nm using a variable geometry turbocharger that no doubt contains witchcraft, and it sips fuel as if it was enjoying expensive whiskey.

(If you're wondering.. maybe not.. yes, an engine that small with a fairly high power output does have schizophrenic power delivery.. no power at low rpms then a massive surge, even with a VGT)

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 22, 2012

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

Admirable Gusto posted:

Driving sideways~

Sup Porsche buddy. You get the S? I'm saving up for that one in a few years after I run my starter porsche to the ground.

Putrescine
Nov 22, 2003

A chance to cut is a chance to cure.

Paul Boz_ posted:

Snapped a quick shot of my s2000

I figured i'd add a couple of my 2005 to this thread too, which I traded a 2011 Honda CR-Z for back in Nov 2011.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

AbbiTheDog posted:

Sup Porsche buddy. You get the S? I'm saving up for that one in a few years after I run my starter porsche to the ground.

I do have an S :hfive:

I'm sure the soon-to-be released 981 Cayman will help hurry the depreciation curve along :D

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.

pepperoniroller posted:

Got myself a b-day present:

Complete frame off restoration. New paint, interior, chrome, rebuilt engine, new floors, 409 V8 425HP

Probably nobodies bag here, but my other toy:

1979 Monte carlo, 3 CCE Comp pumps, 6 batteries, 12s in the rear 8s in the front, chain bridge. Stands 3 with ease

2 fine chevys, digging the juiced MC - in love with the 63. I'd tend to agree with you not to juice the impala. never seen that nickey dealer tag before, its awesome.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003

Blacked out the rear valence today. Looks sick!

Doing coilovers tomorrow.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.
Looks great except for the Reddit sticker.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Reddit sticker, white...just missing the panelvan part.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

hunter x az posted:

Blacked out the rear valence today. Looks sick!

Doing coilovers tomorrow.

Is the rear valence normally color matched on the gen2? On my 09 the valence is just some black-ish ABS.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
Yep, it was white before.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Belldandy posted:

Looks great except for the Reddit sticker.

I always wondered how many pre teens you could fit in the back of an MS3.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
Uh, I'm not certain what the interest is in the sticker... But ok. :p

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

hunter x az posted:

Uh, I'm not certain what the interest is in the sticker... But ok. :p

Because Reddit is a haven for pedophiles? I kinda wouldn't want to be associated with that website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
All the interns at my company do is read Reddit when they're not working. It seems like a generational thing to me. That or I've just never had enough interest to find a subforum on there that:
1) Interests me
2) Isn't full of more spergy people than SA.