Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

It's not a watch, it's a bracelet... My mother in law got me a Harley shirt yesterday. You know because I ride motorcycles. I got lucky though it one of those super sexy night rods and I can live with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

It's not a watch, it's a bracelet... My mother in law got me a Harley shirt yesterday. You know because I ride motorcycles. I got lucky though it one of those super sexy night rods and I can live with that.

The curse of the motorcycle enthusiast. I have some relatives who get me something HD every Christmas because they know I'm into bikes, and cant fathom that anyone could ever be into anything except HD.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Olde Weird Tip posted:

The curse of the motorcycle enthusiast. I have some relatives who get me something HD every Christmas because they know I'm into bikes, and cant fathom that anyone could ever be into anything except HD.

Yeah, it was actually kind of cool though. My in-laws are terrified of bikes due to the second hand layer'dan stories. It was kind of neat that through the past 3-4 years she went from a hardcore all motorcycles are death machines, to thinking they are neat and looking at MC clothing.

The first time she saw my wife climb on the R1 behind me I thought she was going to have a heart attack.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

I have roughly 20 H-D shirts. :) Some dating back to the early 80s and some from overseas.

So seeing as I have an ironhead Sporty, I began the slow process of de-winterizing by installing new parts and becoming depressed as I found new oil leaks. New parts this spring:

- Front brake pads
- Front brake lines
- Speedo cable
- Plug wires
- Accel Super Coil ignition
- Sissy bar because I lost my old one (???)

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Kinda surprised the hands don't all point to "Harley O'Clock"

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Spiffness posted:

Kinda surprised the hands don't all point to "Harley O'Clock"

It might be raining :ohdear:

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

I'm a bit of a watch ho, and the HD/Bulova relationship is kind of surprising for a few reasons. First, they partnered with an actual watch maker rather than lend their name to an anonymous fashion watch mill, which is the model for 75% of what passes for a "timepiece" in the US (this is what Triumph wound up doing--and I have to admit, they have some great looking watches).

Second, I don't really see the massive HD markup I've come to expect. The pricing is more or less comparable to similar quartz and automatic pieces in the Bulova lineup. One would think HD would have adopted the above model and gone for max margin, as most of their customers wouldn't know the difference or care.

Lastly, the flaming skulls have been kept to a minimum, and the majority are tasteful and office-friendly.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How did anyone at Bulova greenlight these?
poo poo is embarassing.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Boy do I have a surprise for you guys.. This is downstairs from my office:

An entire store filled with things of the sort. Also, I will be having that pizza for lunch today, poo poo's delicious.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 6, 2012

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

SaNChEzZ posted:

Boy do I have a surprise for you guys.. This is downstairs from my office:

An entire store filled with things of the sort. Also, I will be having that pizza for lunch today, poo poo's delicious.

A Harley shop that doesn't sell motorcycles. Fitting really... :negative:

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Olde Weird Tip posted:

How did anyone at Bulova greenlight these?

Something about a suitcase filled with green rectangular pieces of paper with Ben Franklin's head on them comes to mind.

That said, those are awful.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I did some recon!

IcedPee
Jan 11, 2008

Yarrrr! I be here to plunder the fun outta me workplace! Avast!

FREE DECAHEDRON!
Am I the only one that finds almost all HD merch just plain ugly? If I ever start buying any of this type of crap for myself, CA has permission to shoot me. Hell, get some cross-forum action with TFR going on. Go nuts.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Scrapez posted:

A Harley shop that doesn't sell motorcycles. Fitting really... :negative:

There's one in Seattle, too. Emerald City Harley Davidson, mere blocks from tourist central Pike Place Market. Full of $35 t-shirts.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

SaNChEzZ posted:

I did some recon!

H-D. An apparel/accessory maker that puts together bikes on the side.

:sigh:

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

IcedPee posted:

Am I the only one that finds almost all HD merch just plain ugly? If I ever start buying any of this type of crap for myself, CA has permission to shoot me. Hell, get some cross-forum action with TFR going on. Go nuts.

The majority of it is incredibly tacky, but I do like the stuff that accentuates the vintage bikes of the 40s and 50s--which is probably 2%. When I see entire sections of stores devoted to HD-themed pet supplies and infant wear, I have to believe that at some point the brand manager has to kick the accountants in the face and say enough is enough. I pulled the annual statement once and found that Motor Clothes was a pretty substantial portion of their revenue. Gotta stay alive in the winter, I guess...

I once had an informal cube-row contest to see who could find the most ridiculous piece of licensed merchandise. I think I found a coffin.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I've said for years that they're an extremely successful marketing firm with a motorcycle arm

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

IcedPee posted:

Of course not but its no more ugly than the shirts from rallies and Podunk Towns in my normal rotation. Heck I get Harley dudes making fun of my 2010 Sturgis shirt.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Literally available at your local Petsmart:

IcedPee
Jan 11, 2008

Yarrrr! I be here to plunder the fun outta me workplace! Avast!

FREE DECAHEDRON!
I'm having poo poo luck locating a replacement kickstand. Everything I find doesn't seem to be the kind of kickstand I have. I've found kits to replace the peg and screw for a kickstand like mine, but any kickstand I can find that is supposedly for my bike is one you screw directly onto the frame instead of mount up like the old one. I find this odd as I'm pretty sure the kickstand that snapped isn't a stock kickstand. It's very wide at the bottom.

Ninja edit: Would it be a bad idea to get the old one welded? I feel like it might be..

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

IcedPee posted:

Ninja edit: Would it be a bad idea to get the old one welded? I feel like it might be..

Nah, it'd be fine. A proper weld is just as strong as the base metal, and even if it does break, the worst that happens is your bike falls over while it's parked. Just find a buddy with a MIG and give him a six-pack to do it for you.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

IcedPee posted:

I'm having poo poo luck locating a replacement kickstand. Everything I find doesn't seem to be the kind of kickstand I have. I've found kits to replace the peg and screw for a kickstand like mine, but any kickstand I can find that is supposedly for my bike is one you screw directly onto the frame instead of mount up like the old one. I find this odd as I'm pretty sure the kickstand that snapped isn't a stock kickstand. It's very wide at the bottom.

If you haven't already, I'd recap this dilemma with a couple good pics and post on xlforum.net, directing it at IronMick, specifically. He's the resident Ironhead authority, IIRC. Give that a shot before you proceed, odds are someone will have this in their garage and you'll get it for the price of postage.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
Regardless of what you ride, the birth of a motorcycle is a beautiful thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThjYcG9H3Ys&feature=relmfu

<< Eagles crying double-time...

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
DESTINATION:
FREEDOM, 'MERICA

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Made in the USA! (of 50-60% foreign parts)

Indian is more accurate:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, "Solidify your place in the legacy that will be left during the 6 month period that Indian is open for business this time before someone else buys us and tries again to reanimate our corpse" is probably too long for an ad.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Yeah, "Solidify your place in the legacy that will be left during the 6 month period that Indian is open for business this time before someone else buys us and tries again to reanimate our corpse" is probably too long for an ad.

So along these lines of resurrected dead marques, Norton seems to be reanimated as often as Indian, and Triumph is doing fantastic - why is it no one ever seems interested in bringing back BSA?

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Snowdens Secret posted:

So along these lines of resurrected dead marques, Norton seems to be reanimated as often as Indian, and Triumph is doing fantastic - why is it no one ever seems interested in bringing back BSA?

I'd love to see Matchless make a comeback too.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Polaris bought Indian this time, so they'll either stick around or become a sub-brand of Victory, since Victory has been reasonably successful.

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST
Or, in a year we'll be able to buy Indian chainsaws.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

sigtrap posted:

Or, in a year we'll be able to buy Indian chainsaws.

Not too far from reality, Indian did make outboard motors at some point. Although I think they only made like 12 of them.

And Harley made snowmobiles

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Armyman25 posted:

Made in the USA! (of 50-60% foreign parts)

Indian is more accurate:

From the website FAQ:

Question:

Are your motorcycles made in the USA?
Answer:

We are proud that all Indian Motorcycles are assembled in Spirit Lake, IA.

I don't expect them to disclose sourcing percentages in response to their own question, but it does seem to skirt the issue nicely. So yeah, more accurate in a Clintonian sense.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Not too far from reality, Indian did make outboard motors at some point. Although I think they only made like 12 of them.

And here's a vintage chainsaw. Sigtrap weren't joking.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Iowa? :reject: What happened to Mass.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Iowa? :reject: What happened to Mass.

Closed in the 50's. My 03 Indian was made in California, but that went away too. The latest generation started in North Carolina, before being moved to the Victory plant in Cedar Falls.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yeah but that's bullshit. Indian was from Mass. California might as well be Macau.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Let's talk about 1200 top end work.

My buell has about 40k. I'm riding it to Sturgis this year. And it does consume a moderate quantity of oil.

The trend among these Harley based motors seems to be new rings every 40 or so. Mine is about due.

I'm looking at options and a 1250 kit is on my radar. I can probably get that done for around 1000 including Dyno tune.

Let me know if this sounds crazy: do a 1250, stock heads, stock cam, and dial back the timing a touch. shoot for same horsepower as its making now (102 on a Dyno) for overbuilt underdressed reliability that should run well on cheap gas in a pinch (i've been there).

New stock rings would be way cheaper but I have to drop the motor out either way. That'skind of a big deal.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The real question is if you can find a mechanic / engine builder who you can trust to do the work, your build seems reasonable from a performance standpoint.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I do have access to a good engine builder, bonus he's expressed interest in labor trade for website work.

But I've been reading the instructions from the 1250 kit supplier and general "this is how to do it on a Sporty" walkthroughs, and I can get the 1250 kit with the rings preinstalled on the pistons from the factory. This seems doable in the garage and I'd love to do it myself. I can always truck it to the tuner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

clutchpuck posted:

I do have access to a good engine builder, bonus he's expressed interest in labor trade for website work.

But I've been reading the instructions from the 1250 kit supplier and general "this is how to do it on a Sporty" walkthroughs, and I can get the 1250 kit with the rings preinstalled on the pistons from the factory. This seems doable in the garage and I'd love to do it myself. I can always truck it to the tuner.

Make sure the ring gaps are in the correct locations (if it's important on Harleys, I know it is on modern supersports), but that sounds like great fun! Make a thread when you do it :)

I'd probably bribe tue engine builder with beer to come over and point at poo poo and make sure I'm doing it right. Always good to have an expert on hand.

• Locked thread