Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

grover posted:

Nickel microlattice.

It's pretty cool stuff. They make it by building a polymer lattice using rapid prototyping techniques, coat it all with a super-thin layer of nickle, and then dissolve all the polymer.

Ok, that is really, really cool. And legit pretty to look at, as well. It's like frozen science.

E: Aeronautical Insanity: PYF Metamaterials and yap about light poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Compressor Stalls

All the cool airplanes use turbofan engines. Sometimes, such as when shredding birds, airflow gets hosed and the combustion blasts out of both sides of the engine instead of just the back.

http://i.imgur.com/EyLNW.jpg

Since this blows away the air being taken in by the engine, it goes out, and then immediately re-ignites, making a non-scary "chuf-chuf-chuf-chuf" noise if you're watching from a safe distance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPkZBR89y_M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPkZBR89y_M

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Here's a birdstrike and total engine failure from inside an F-16

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN_Zl64OQEw

"Gear NOT down! Gear NOT down!"
Why does it have a british accent?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
It might not actually be an F-16.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

:downs: duh. I even know what an F-16's HUD looks like, and that's clearly not it. One of the comments says it's a Hawk which makes much more sense.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I don't blame you for thinking it was an F-16 since the title says so, but that video has been around for years and this ONE GUY uploaded it with F-16 in the title one time and now it still gets shared as that.

Post hot birdstrikes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zAZBfdvYwc

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Sagebrush posted:

Here's a birdstrike and total engine failure from inside an F-16

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN_Zl64OQEw

"Gear NOT down! Gear NOT down!"
Why does it have a british accent?

It was a Canadian Hawk on a joint RAF/Canadian Forces training mission.

e: gently caress, beaten. I have to say, I've always loved the Pac-man-ish "game over" sound right at the end of that video.

Space Gopher fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 20, 2012

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Here's a pretty cool AF training video about bird strikes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kiuut7ibmPg

I was trying to find one I've seen before about a T-38 that goes off the end of the runway after aborting a takeoff due to engine failure (I can't remember whether or not the engine failure is due to a bird strike or something else) but I couldn't find it. Have this oldie but goodie instead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4VCV_z52GU

Also, here's a cool picture of a new paint scheme the F-15 aggressors at Nellis have on a couple aircraft:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

iyaayas01 posted:

Also, here's a cool picture of a new paint scheme the F-15 aggressors at Nellis have on a couple aircraft:

That is quite pretty. The aggressor planes just look so much cooler than the 'slate-vanilla' schemes that seem to be the norm...So, why do Russian planes get cool camo schemes and Western ones get boring solid shades of grey? Is dark grey just the color that matches all environmental conditions best?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Americans conducted years of expensive studies to determine the least-visible schemes for the majority of conditions under which their planes would be flying, increasing operational effectiveness by a small but definite margin.

The Russians said "who cares about that poo poo, let's make it look loving cool".

(fun fact: when they were developing the F-117, the Skunk Works did some studies to determine the least visible paint scheme for the high-altitude dusk raids that would be its main mission. The eventual conclusion was that the best color would be a dusty orangeish-pink. They painted it black because they thought no one would agree to fly a pink airplane.)

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

Nebakenezzer posted:

That is quite pretty. The aggressor planes just look so much cooler than the 'slate-vanilla' schemes that seem to be the norm...So, why do Russian planes get cool camo schemes and Western ones get boring solid shades of grey? Is dark grey just the color that matches all environmental conditions best?

We keep ours in hangars.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

kmcormick9 posted:

We keep ours in hangars.

No, usually not.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Sagebrush posted:

The Americans conducted years of expensive studies to determine the least-visible schemes for the majority of conditions under which their planes would be flying, increasing operational effectiveness by a small but definite margin.

The Russians said "who cares about that poo poo, let's make it look loving cool".

(fun fact: when they were developing the F-117, the Skunk Works did some studies to determine the least visible paint scheme for the high-altitude dusk raids that would be its main mission. The eventual conclusion was that the best color would be a dusty orangeish-pink. They painted it black because they thought no one would agree to fly a pink airplane.)

Didn't the RAF paint everything pink for Desert Storm?

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Sagebrush posted:

The same story has been applied to dozens of aircraft over the years, but in fact there were pink planes in the North Africa theater of WWII. Not popular, lots of jokes, but ultimately the guys flew what they were commanded to fly.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

iyaayas01 posted:

That's the paint scheme they demoed the PAK FA in, yeah?

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

iyaayas01 posted:

Hello, comrade.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Sagebrush posted:

It's not *that* bad - breaking up a shape with camo is a good idea. The camo on the F-15 works well in the arctic, I'd bet. It just becomes a determent in the desert.

Let's just make it look loving cool is Tigermeet.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

iyaayas01 posted:

My what reticulated nozzles you have. Seriously though, they look weird to me.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Styles Bitchley posted:

There are blade-type covers for them, but from what I understand they're just a pain in the rear end to maintain and don't provide a whole lot of benefit.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Nebakenezzer posted:

Pretty much.

Here's a couple of other aggressor schemes:

65th AGRS at Nellis:

18th AGRS at Eielson:

Arctic Blue

Arctic Black

Lizard

64th AGRS at Nellis:

Desert

Lizard

Flanker Blue

VFC-12:

VMFAT-101 (click through for huge):

USN F-16s at NSAWC (click through for huge):

F-14 painted up with an Iranian paint scheme at TOPGUN:

Couple of F-5s flown by VFC-111, Navy aggressors at Key West. The sun on the tail is because they inherited the lineage from VF-111, the Sundowners:

Godholio posted:

No, usually not.

Yeah, unless you're "forward deployed" to Europe or Korea and you're operating out of a HAS (and even not necessarily then), the only fighters that are all gonna be parked inside are the Raptors that have their individual cells. Legacy fighters like F-16s/F-15s/A-10s/whatever are usually gonna be parked outside unless they're having maintenance done on them, and maybe some others would be parked under a sunshade at the southern tier bases.

Godholio posted:

There are blade-type covers for them, but from what I understand they're just a pain in the rear end to maintain and don't provide a whole lot of benefit.

This is my understanding as well from a couple of conversations I've had with the old Eagle maintainers I work with.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 21, 2012

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Styles Bitchley posted:

That's probably because you're seeing the nozzles without the "turkey feather" coverings that a lot of aircraft use.

IIRC, the covers were stripped from the F-15's due to a tendency to shed parts in flight from a vibration issue, so removing them cut down on maintenance costs/time, and it saved a bit of weight as well.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

iyaayas01 posted:

Interesting how they've painted that one to give the wings an apparent planform like a MiG-21. Reminds me of the false canopies on the bottom of Canadian CF-18s

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
drat those F-16's dress up so well with those paint jobs.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

Reminds me of the false canopies on the bottom of Canadian CF-18s

I've heard the explanation behind that, but it still doesn't make much sense.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If you're looking at a plane's belly when you think you're looking at its back, everything you know about its likely motion vectors and maneuver limits is reversed. For instance you might see it making a lazy banked turn to the left, and you go into a lead pursuit...and then just as you realize you're looking at the bottom of the plane and it's flying inverted, it does a 7G reversal to the outside, requiring you to fly a negative-G maneuver that's way beyond your own limits to keep it in sight.

It's not like it's an expensive modification, and anything that confuses your enemy for even a few seconds is a good thing.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

s0nar posted:

I've heard the explanation behind that, but it still doesn't make much sense.

This is to confuse AAA gunners into thinking you're an Australian aircraft.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Sagebrush posted:

Actually, it was back in WWII when the Brits figured out that pink is a great color for low-vis in pretty much all circumstances, but like you said, pilots say "No way am I flying a plane painted pink." That light grey color is almost as effective, so everything gets it.

Except the SF guys who love a black helicopter. Black shows up better even at night than grey does (the sky looks black because it's so dark, but there's generally enough scattered light that an object painted black will be darker than ambient and can be picked out easier, especially if it's moving). This changes at higher altitudes, so if the aircraft spends time up really high (SR-71, U-2, etc), it gets black.

Lockheed knew all this, and so did the USAF. The F-117 wound up black rather than low-vis grey because it was felt that "If we paint these black, no mission planner who isn't certifiably insane would be tempted to use them in the daytime."

After the whole Cold War thing wound down, they did paint an F-117 grey and evaluated it for daytime missions.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
Loads of great F-5 aggressor photos. From a model airplane perspective, it was always a fun "What if?" idea, but it also reminds me of just how bad the enemy planes were in so many movies from the 1950s-1980s. Then for a short while you could buy MiGs or whatever, and now CGI means that we never have to be treated to a P-51 masquerading as a Me-109 (I'm looking at you, Aces: Iron Eagle III).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I could never enjoy Top Gun back when I was a little :spergin: about military jets because "those aren't MiG-28s, they're just F-5s painted black with stars on them! And the Russians don't paint their planes black, either, they're mostly just shiny metal! And the MiG designations are all odd-numbered so there would be no MiG-28 anyway!"

I got over it, but it still takes me out of the movie to this day.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

I could never enjoy Top Gun back when I was a little :spergin: about military jets because "those aren't MiG-28s, they're just F-5s painted black with stars on them! And the Russians don't paint their planes black, either, they're mostly just shiny metal! And the MiG designations are all odd-numbered so there would be no MiG-28 anyway!"

I got over it, but it still takes me out of the movie to this day.

I still hold my weirdness crown for spergin' about the 757/767/A300 mix-up in Home Alone 2.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Sagebrush posted:

Interesting how they've painted that one to give the wings an apparent planform like a MiG-21.

I looked at those jets every day for two weeks and some change during Northern Edge last summer because they were parked on the ramp just outside our hangar (although really I saw everyone that was up here pretty frequently because I was more or less on the flightline for 12 hours straight those entire two weeks unless I was doing something at the bar), and it blew my mind when I first saw that in a picture because I hadn't noticed it before...only saw them from the bottom while they were flying, and I was never viewing from high enough to notice it while they were on the ground.

Sagebrush posted:

If you're looking at a plane's belly when you think you're looking at its back, everything you know about its likely motion vectors and maneuver limits is reversed. For instance you might see it making a lazy banked turn to the left, and you go into a lead pursuit...and then just as you realize you're looking at the bottom of the plane and it's flying inverted, it does a 7G reversal to the outside, requiring you to fly a negative-G maneuver that's way beyond your own limits to keep it in sight.

It's not like it's an expensive modification, and anything that confuses your enemy for even a few seconds is a good thing.

Yeah, it's just intended to be a cheap modification that might confuse someone for a bit because they associate "canopy facing me" with "pulling/turning towards me."

Styles Bitchley posted:

This is to confuse AAA gunners into thinking you're an Australian aircraft.

:lol:

I was discussing the '80s and Ghaddafi in another thread and it's hilarious to me how transparent the opening and closing sequences in Top Gun are as far as being lifted directly from the Gulf of Sidra/"line of death" confrontations in the '80s.

e: I finally got around to uploading and starting to organize my pictures from this past weekend...here's a teaser. I flew on a plane that had this:

And I went here:

I've got a bunch more pictures if people are interested.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 21, 2012

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

gently caress your airframes. Some Dutch Engineer apparently decided to build himself a set of motor-assisted wings and flew. Here's his site.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

BonzoESC posted:

I still hold my weirdness crown for spergin' about the 757/767/A300 mix-up in Home Alone 2.

Eh?

I haven't seen it in a while, but impdb.com just lists the 767.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Nam Taf posted:

gently caress your airframes. Some Dutch Engineer apparently decided to build himself a set of motor-assisted wings and flew. Here's his site.

I think itd be cool if it were real, but it looks CGI to me.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Colonial Air Force posted:

Eh?

I haven't seen it in a while, but impdb.com just lists the 767.

From imdb:

At the airport, the exterior shot of the plane flown to New York is shown as a Boeing 767-200, which, unlike the -400 series 767, lacks a middle door. When Kevin enters the plane, it is clearly a Boeing 757, evidenced by its single aisle and the door between first class and coach through which he entered, which even then magically becomes an Airbus A300 Cabin with the different overhead bin designs that did not exist on Boeing Aircraft at the time. American has also never flown 767s or A300s between Chicago and LaGuardia.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
Palm Springs Air Museum

Nose of a B-17

Waist gun positions, looking aft.

:neckbeard:

Click for wallpaper size.

Fargo Air Museum

Avenger bomb bay

This P-51 landed and taxied in to the museum while we were there.

I sat and listened to the engine ping and pop while it cooled. Too awesome for words.

Name that flight deck!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

BonzoESC posted:

From imdb:

At the airport, the exterior shot of the plane flown to New York is shown as a Boeing 767-200, which, unlike the -400 series 767, lacks a middle door. When Kevin enters the plane, it is clearly a Boeing 757, evidenced by its single aisle and the door between first class and coach through which he entered, which even then magically becomes an Airbus A300 Cabin with the different overhead bin designs that did not exist on Boeing Aircraft at the time. American has also never flown 767s or A300s between Chicago and LaGuardia.

In _The Usual Suspects_, there's a shot from the front of a 747 landing, it cuts to a shot of the plane from behind, but now it's a 757.

(Also, at one point someone drops a Sig pistol on the floor, and when another guy picks up the same pistol, now it's a Browning, but that's not aeronautical.)

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

PhotoKirk posted:

Rainbow exhaust stain :allears:

Is the flight deck a DC-3?

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Nebakenezzer posted:

Rainbow exhaust stain :allears:

Is the flight deck a DC-3?

WINNER!!!

I never realized how steep the floor was in one of those while it's on the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

PhotoKirk posted:

Fargo Air Museum

I live ten blocks from the Fargo Air Museum. I know Boomer's owner and took a ride in her last year to photograph Yankee Lady when she visited. That looks likes Cripes A' Mighty and Stang is pretty obvious.