Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

NESguerilla posted:

Yeah, it's easily my GOTY so far and I am actually pretty surprised to hear some people hated it.

You know, I hadn't thought about it, but it's probably the best thing I've played all year too. I just feel like it did a lot of things right and that Raid Mode was a great way to extend it's life via online multiplayer. I've found it more rewarding than the mercenary modes of the previous games.

The only thing that's disappointing about is that it's stuck on the 3DS and some people as a result won't get a chance to play it. Maybe it'll show up on an HD compilation down the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidRed
Jan 23, 2008
and if you didn't know.... NOW YOU KNOW - Christian Cage
I've been playing Lost Planet 2 and that still has a large japanese following (it shows you where the players you are playing with come from) and that's god awful so I wouldn't be surprised if ORC will still have some sort of community in a few months.

I'm looking forward to picking it up when we get it down under next week to shoot up some zombies with my two other resident evil buddies. If any goon who plays Australian times wants to play with us, add me on Solidronpaul08 and shoot me a message in about a week.

I'm hoping they ship out the prizes from the viral campaign before then as I won some DLC weapons and a shirt but I wouldn't be shocked if I never see those since it's Capcom.

How are the load times? Several games on the PS3 lately have been driving me up the wall with incredibly long load times (Magic 2012 and UFC 3 being the two that make me want to stop console gaming and go back to my PC)

I'm also hoping deep down that if i throw money at anything Resident Evil Capcom will realise that people will buy anything with Resident Evil in th title and release Outbreak Vol 1 + 2. Hell gamers (and I) purchased RE:CV and that game is completely unpleasant to play.

SolidRed fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 21, 2012

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

This game is really bad about telling you things you should know. There are a bunch of times that you have little objectives like "Kill the Lickers" or "Kill the Hunters" and eventually this is superseded by "get the gently caress out of there" but the game never makes that obvious. So you can end up like me and fight Hunters in a gas station for 5 minutes before realizing the objective changed.

It gets worse when sometimes you fight seemingly endless hordes of a monster, expecting to get that objective change, only to find that no you have to kill all of them. My previous example comes just a few minutes after a horde of Lickers which had a definitive end, so naturally I figured the Hunters had a definitive end as well.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Blazing Ownager posted:

I got the impression that Revelations was well-received pretty much everywhere, mostly being obscure because nobody owns a loving 3DS.

You should look at the 3DS sale numbers.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
So far I'm loving ORC, but it's really a game made for online play. The SP is probably boring and frustrating without some real bodies in the seat. The game comes alive when you have a team of people with mics though.

The SP is still only okay, even with real people, it's a nice co-op diversion. It just lacks any real depth or content, at what people are saying is roughly a 5 hour campaign.

It's MP where the game gets fun. The three faction gameplay can lead to some great matches. Sometimes the zombies can be rather weak, and don't hamper much, but then as the match goes on their numbers ramp up. Having hunters, lickers, and the occasional tyrant also make online MP pretty hectic. It's a nice twist on what would have otherwise been some generic MP.

Haven't heard many goons on the PS3 though, if anyone wants to squad up just look me up. My PSN is the same name as here.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I chumped out and bought the PS3 version. Sounded too cool to wait for a PC version.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Kilometers Davis posted:

You should look at the 3DS sale numbers.

Does that mean they were bad? Unless I'm looking at something else it seems like it sold okay I guess.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

randombattle posted:

I really want to get Raccoon City but I want it for PC though now I'm starting to worry that there will be like no online community for PC by then..

I'm worried the PC one will get canceled at this rate.

It's a shame. I'm digging what I've seen of the game, difficulty and useless AI be damned.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yodzilla posted:

Does that mean they were bad? Unless I'm looking at something else it seems like it sold okay I guess.

No, I mean they are really, really good numbers. I didn't understand why he said nobody owns a 3DS.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Risky posted:

Also, not being able to dodge/roll without running is really retarded.

I just accidentally figured out how to do this without actually running.

What you do is you tilt the stick in the direction you want to dodge then simultaneously click it and hit the X/A button, your guy will do the dodge maneuver without having to run. So it's basically Lost Planet 2's roll but with another button on it to make it even more loving annoying.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

So far I'm enjoying it but the AI for your teammates and the enemy soldiers is spectacularly bad. It's a lot of fanservice for RE fans so whatever. It's kind of a bummer that it doesn't seem like a lot of people are playing COOP at least on the PS3 version right now. Maybe it will pick up tomorrow.

I know it's the point of the game but man you are hilarious assholes in this.

SolidRed
Jan 23, 2008
and if you didn't know.... NOW YOU KNOW - Christian Cage

Radish posted:

So far I'm enjoying it but the AI for your teammates and the enemy soldiers is spectacularly bad. It's a lot of fanservice for RE fans so whatever. It's kind of a bummer that it doesn't seem like a lot of people are playing COOP at least on the PS3 version right now. Maybe it will pick up tomorrow.

I know it's the point of the game but man you are hilarious assholes in this.

The game hasn't even been released everywhere yet. Hopefully it will pick up.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Hahaha wow, that final battle. Good god that is the stupidest thing ever. I'd be mad but I managed to complete it on my first try by loving over the boss' AI with the most powerful of all tactics: standing at a far distance with a sniper rifle given to you at the start of the stage.

Amazing that this took all of 5 minutes while that loving Barricade sequence at the very end took me like 8 deaths to figure out due to the lovely way this game handles sequences of events.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Edit: Move along nothing to see here.

Len fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Mar 21, 2012

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I actually don't hate single-player at all so far.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

No, I mean they are really, really good numbers. I didn't understand why he said nobody owns a 3DS.

Compared to the other consoles, relatively few have had the chance to play Revelations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Is it possible for people to join in the middle of a round? It's really unfun getting steamrolled when you're short players.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Well I had a great time playing with the Xbox goons that I partied up with tonight. I really believe that if you are taking anything about this game seriously or trying to play it alone then you'll be miserable. Otherwise, I haven't had this much goofy fun in a coop game in quite a while. The AI is stupid, the story is cliched and there's flaws to deal with. You hardly are bothered by it when your group is riffing through the single player.

Just get a good group together,and have fun with it, I'm fairly certain those negative attitudes will start to evaporate....Unless of course that person is the type that has to nitpick and nonstop bitch about everything to their Xbox party, in which case I didn't want to play with that loving whiner anyways.

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
Welp, I thought NG 3 would be a great game and Racoon city garbage, but it ended up being completely the opposite.

Despite the mediocre score on metacritic, I've been having a lot of fun with this game. Even the single player alone was good enough for me (even though its so much better with other people)

This comes out as a total suprise, I guess the dreaded devs of Soccom confrontation can actually make a good MP game. I've never seen anything quite like this, with its 3 way versus.

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS
I got the game today, and I'm having a lot of fun with it. I definitely think there's some points that could use some tweaking though.

1. This game is too dark. I mean, I know it's a action/horror game, but I can't see poo poo in buildings unless it's on fire. It might just be my settings on my TV I guess, but there's not enough contrast or something going on in dark rooms, which makes exploring a pain in the rear end.

2. There are two parts in particular that I played in SP that made me want to jump off a bridge. Nicolai's trap with the Lickers and placing the EMPs at the power plant. gently caress both of those parts, they are infuriating with the AI on your side. I'm starting to think that nine times out of ten, when a bunch of big monsters and/or Spec Ops pour out of the walls that you should just say "gently caress it!" and dash to the objective. This has gotten me out of some close calls.

Those would be the two main downfalls for me so far. I will say that I imagine the game gets a billion times better if you play online with friends, but I haven't had a chance to do multiplayer yet. I loving hate playing with pubbies, but for once, it might actually be worth it.

P.S. I still totally love this game.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Mouser.. posted:

Well I had a great time playing with the Xbox goons that I partied up with tonight. I really believe that if you are taking anything about this game seriously or trying to play it alone then you'll be miserable. Otherwise, I haven't had this much goofy fun in a coop game in quite a while. The AI is stupid, the story is cliched and there's flaws to deal with. You hardly are bothered by it when your group is riffing through the single player.

Just get a good group together,and have fun with it, I'm fairly certain those negative attitudes will start to evaporate....Unless of course that person is the type that has to nitpick and nonstop bitch about everything to their Xbox party, in which case I didn't want to play with that loving whiner anyways.

It pretty much devolved into chaos once we figured out how to tackle each other.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
You(Mouser) sent me an friend invite just as I was wrapping up to leave for a while, sorry I missed out.

What do y'all think of the various classes so far? I have played mostly with field scientist and demolition. Making friendly crimson heads is kind of bitchin, and people rarely seem to expect it. Awesome for covering for you while you move or line up a good shot. I wasn't having much luck using the frag mines with the demolition class though.

Also, anyone gotten any use out of the weird quickdraw pistol mode?

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
I'm not far in yet, but I'm enjoying it so far. I'm definitely going to try platinuming this.

I'm traveling through campaign at my own pace right now, but I'll be up for some multiplayer later on PSN.
PSN: h4mx0r

tell me who you are if you want to add me for ORC. I posted in some trophy boosting for Uncharted Golden Abyss and have now been cursed with dozens of blank friend requests. I can't tell if they're goons for the vita or the trophy boosters.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Contest Winner posted:

What do y'all think of the various classes so far? I have played mostly with field scientist and demolition. Making friendly crimson heads is kind of bitchin, and people rarely seem to expect it. Awesome for covering for you while you move or line up a good shot. I wasn't having much luck using the frag mines with the demolition class though.

Medic seems kind of mediocre since you can just murder your infected teammates instead of curing them. Assault is good, but I never remember to use the active abilities.

The quickdraw pistol thing is nice for dealing with tons of weak zombies surrounding you but the pistols (like most of the other weapons in the game) just don't pack enough punch and the quickdraw doesn't seem to aim for the head unless they're on top of you. Might be better when I get one of those hideously expensive high damage pistols.

I'm having a bitch of a time finding a primary weapon I like, too. All the guns feel like peashooters in SP and MP. Zombies, mercs and player characters all seem to be ridiculous bullet sponges no matter what weapon you're using.

Boxing Snatcher
Jul 4, 2011

I have been looking for some great Beef Jerky since my local convenience store changed owners.

Contest Winner posted:

You(Mouser) sent me an friend invite just as I was wrapping up to leave for a while, sorry I missed out.

Well we didn't really get a good chance to use them a lot because every time the field scientist a.k.a. neeeerd,(Mouser) would make one we would go out of our way to kill them, or they would sprint full force then go to a shamble right in front of them.

Yes that quickdraw mode is loving awesome. Feels like I am in an action movie. Really good for clearing out a room of zombies without hitting your friends.

Guys, seriously if you are having a bad time play with some funny friends, it was all laughs and knocking teammates over in campaign but the multiplayer was loving great too. Especially when you kick a lot of rear end and holy poo poo the Heroes has so much loving health it is nuts. I still love it, Recon for life!

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I've had some good times with the pump shotgun, and unless I have been misinterpreting events it seems like sometimes it will knock people on their rear end, which is both funny and deady for them.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Boxing Snatcher posted:

Guys, seriously if you are having a bad time play with some funny friends, it was all laughs and knocking teammates over in campaign but the multiplayer was loving great too. Especially when you kick a lot of rear end and holy poo poo the Heroes has so much loving health it is nuts. I still love it, Recon for life!

And don't forget the birkin chase. Whoever set it off would get smacked down in the cutscene for no reason.

"WHY HAVE YOU LIED TO ME GAME?!?"

Boxing Snatcher
Jul 4, 2011

I have been looking for some great Beef Jerky since my local convenience store changed owners.

Drakenel posted:

And don't forget the birkin chase. Whoever set it off would get smacked down in the cutscene for no reason.

"WHY HAVE YOU LIED TO ME GAME?!?"

They changed the QTE!

Also guys, watch out. They change the QTEs on you. I was all ready to roll left. Nope, Birkin pipe to the chest.

ladysparkles
Jul 20, 2008
Please add me to the ORC meta tag when you get a chance Mouser. GT: Lady Sparkles I have been having a great time with the few goons I having been playing with in Mass Effect multiplayer tonight.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I'd like a metatag invite too, please. GT: Mattcruea

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
I've found medic to be a great class, actually. If only for one single skill. Painkiller. This move is so incredibly useful in MP fights. I roll on a medic with the juggernaut(best combat shotgun), and am a monster in close range fights. At max level painkiller gives you 90% DR. Combined with how easy it is to dominate when shotgunning up close, medics are a menace.

I usually get top points in most rounds, or at least horrify people. You pop painkiller before running up to 2+ enemies, you tear them to shreds as they ineffectively try to deal with the stimmed up monster you are. Had a few rounds where people flat out ran from me when they saw me charge.

Mp's some great times for me so far.

Edit: Should add that while this sounds like you're an invincible monster, you're not. It only lasts for 10 seconds on a 30 second recharge, takes some time to actually use too. With a shotgun you're also easy to gun down from afar as well.

Dawnfire fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Mar 21, 2012

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Wow, the MP in this game is actually pretty fun. I was so soured on this game due to the campaign that it became such a blast to plug in a headset and just kick some rear end. I'm rocking Assault with Mob Special and Guns A' Blazin', managing to get like 5/6 kill streak every game with it, so awesome!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Anyone else finding it a bitch to get a group for the campaign?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Len posted:

Anyone else finding it a bitch to get a group for the campaign?

Yeah last night I created a game and left it searching in the lobby for like five minutes with no one joining. When I just started one eventually two dudes showed up but it took a while.

Rupture Farms
Aug 19, 2004

Just a rittle plick
I was close to just ditching work early to go get this, every time I tried to leave something kept coming up. It seems the gods of game release days are always against me when it comes to pre-orders.

Anyway I'm on the last area now where I have to hunt down Claire and Leon. The single player was slightly better than I was expecting, but nothing to write home about, it's basically "Gears of Evil" for those who have yet to play it. AI is a bit wonky at times but otherwise this could shape up to be a great addition to the RE Library. It REALLY needs some good DLC packs. I just got Nemesis mode but I have yet to try it, and I got the special edition with all the outfits & weapons. Favorite so far is the Cowboy Shotgun, once you get the timing down with the reload it's a nasty little bugger. So far I'm liking Beltway & Four Eyes, I've tried the other classes but they seem to be the best fit for me.

As for suggestions for future DLC. Definitely more weapons. I was expecting at least a full roster of weapons from throughout the series, but instead it's well, kinda lovely in my opinion. I'd love to see Barry's Python or the Mine Thrower from RE3. RE2's Spark shot would be cool as well, but I can see players bitching about it. Also more player characters for Multi. The Outbreak games had a TON and that's not counting the Gameshark cheats. Capcom did this with RE5 Mercenaries and Tripwire still does it with Killing Floor. One or two solid packs along with a classic deathmatch mode would be very nice in this area.

Multiplayer was great fun just as I expected. Heroes Mode especially but it stinks that once you're killed you revert back to USS/SPEC OPS characters. I wanna be Nicolai all the time Dammit.

Basically tweak the AI better and get some meaty DLC packs (not counting Spec Ops campaign) for this and it's gold.

Also add me, I'm dying for some Goon action. XBL tag - Junior Barnes

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Rupture Farms posted:

Request sent. I plan to be playing for a good part of the day.

Boxing Snatcher
Jul 4, 2011

Rupture Farms posted:

Sent, looking to play most of the day and night, lucky me, I get a break from responsibility for the next two weeks. :toot:

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

Rupture Farms posted:

I was close to just ditching work early to go get this, every time I tried to leave something kept coming up. It seems the gods of game release days are always against me when it comes to pre-orders.

Anyway I'm on the last area now where I have to hunt down Claire and Leon. The single player was slightly better than I was expecting, but nothing to write home about, it's basically "Gears of Evil" for those who have yet to play it. AI is a bit wonky at times but otherwise this could shape up to be a great addition to the RE Library. It REALLY needs some good DLC packs. I just got Nemesis mode but I have yet to try it, and I got the special edition with all the outfits & weapons. Favorite so far is the Cowboy Shotgun, once you get the timing down with the reload it's a nasty little bugger. So far I'm liking Beltway & Four Eyes, I've tried the other classes but they seem to be the best fit for me.

As for suggestions for future DLC. Definitely more weapons. I was expecting at least a full roster of weapons from throughout the series, but instead it's well, kinda lovely in my opinion. I'd love to see Barry's Python or the Mine Thrower from RE3. RE2's Spark shot would be cool as well, but I can see players bitching about it. Also more player characters for Multi. The Outbreak games had a TON and that's not counting the Gameshark cheats. Capcom did this with RE5 Mercenaries and Tripwire still does it with Killing Floor. One or two solid packs along with a classic deathmatch mode would be very nice in this area.

Multiplayer was great fun just as I expected. Heroes Mode especially but it stinks that once you're killed you revert back to USS/SPEC OPS characters. I wanna be Nicolai all the time Dammit.

Basically tweak the AI better and get some meaty DLC packs (not counting Spec Ops campaign) for this and it's gold.

I'd kill for the option to use hero characters in other matches, even if their stats were lowered to normal numbers. Ada has such an awesome skillset. Quick reloads AND painkillers?

I can understand why you don't spawn as heroes after the first death, since clearing out all the enemy heroes is the point of the gametype. It also means that if you die once, you lose access to the better HP.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I'd pay for Heroes as regular characters DLC, playing as HUNK made me really happy even if he doesn't fit my preferred playstyle right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon
Speaking of, who and how is everyone rolling right now? I'm currently using the explosives dude with the shotgun and I have found that I really enjoy that. I found that a lot of the assault rifles take way too many bullets.