Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It'll be interesting to see how this distinguishes itself from the Fallout series.

I remember buying the original Fallout because it billed itself as a spiritual Wasteland sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

A smug sociopath posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=yUEXT0jYqXg#t=5140s

Radioactive Dreams is awesome. :colbert:

I'm not going to lie, I imagine something similar every time I go raid Ugly's Headquarters in that game.

Just a bunch of heavily-armed badass rangers mowing down mooks in a warehouse.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Is it even tenable that 10 dudes, 18 months and ~$1,500,000 produces something of at least fallout quality?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Is it even tenable that 10 dudes, 18 months and ~$1,500,000 produces something of at least fallout quality?

Depends on what you mean by 'Fallout quality'

If you mean the writing and atmosphere, absolutely. The graphics and sound in Fallout were never that good.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

TOOT BOOT posted:

Depends on what you mean by 'Fallout quality'

If you mean the writing and atmosphere, absolutely. The graphics and sound in Fallout were never that good.

uhhh, I always thought the graphics and sound were pretty darn good considering the limitations of the time.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Well it's important to note they have a nearly complete design doc from the earlier attempt at revival, so a substantial amount of the preproduction is already done.

Also, Tex Murphy is next Kickstarter contender. (Drive launches May 15).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GodOPoyNIYg

How is this happening so fast? Double Fine's KS was just over a month ago.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
If it's your first time playing Wasteland, I suggest you read the character creation part of this guide.

http://user.tninet.se/~jyg699a/wasteland.html

Also if you want to restart the game with your characters, you can use this utility.

http://wasteland.rockdud.net/wlreset.html

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Rinkles posted:

Goddamn it. I might as well just give these guys a direct line to my wallet.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Probably not, but considering Fallout is one of the greatest games ever made, we shouldn't expect a game of such extremely high caliber. You act as if that's a low bar.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee

Casimir Radon posted:

I was kind of tempted to throw some money at the Consulting Detective restoration kickstarter. Not because the original was particularly good, it'd just be kind of cool to see what 20 year old FMV footage could look like when it didn't get the everloving gently caress compressed out of it. But between Tim Schafer and Wasteland II I've already got $80 worth of games that haven't been made yet. Even if I did, I don't think they're going to reach their goal.

Unfortunately, that does seem to be the most likely outcome. I say unfortunately not because I'm a fan of FMV adventure games (I'm not), but because David Marsh said he's got plans for remaking Shadowgate and Deja Vu and even revisiting "designs for sequels that unfortunately never saw the light of day". For that, I'd gladly donate up to $100.

By the way, the Sherlock Holmes Kickstarter page has been updated with a "How to Play the Game" section for those interested.

Rinkles posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GodOPoyNIYg

A new era has begun.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm extremely skeptical of that Tex Murphy game. The development studio has a rather terrible history.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I just remembered something, Wasteland's copy protection book had a lot of red herrings inserted in it. There were several sections devoted to a Mars base attack that never occurs ingame.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm extremely skeptical of that Tex Murphy game. The development studio has a rather terrible history.

That studio has made NOTHING I have heard of.

Fake edit: That's because they are all crappy "hidden object" "games".

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Probably not, but considering Fallout is one of the greatest games ever made, we shouldn't expect a game of such extremely high caliber. You act as if that's a low bar.

I mean technically. Where does $1,500,000 and 10 guys get us on the continuum between Wasteland and Temple of Elemental Evil? Will the people donating $50+ be ok with something smaller and more simple looking/playing than Fallout?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I don't think they have to compromise on the mechanics. The graphics will probably be simple 3D graphics, but people have come to expect that from indie games. It doesn't have to look amazing.

The real compromise will be with world size and content. At $1.5 - 2 million, it will be Fallout 1 sized at best, but probably not even. FO2 had a crazy big game world and it certainly wont compare to that.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Not to mention that they won't be paying for voice actors or cut-scenes.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Seashell Salesman posted:

Not to mention that they won't be paying for voice actors or cut-scenes.

Which I would be fine with. Either go for great VA work or skip it entirely.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It really depends on whether they do what they planned to do (top-down) or what the community overwhelmingly wants them to do (isometric).

Isometric implies a lot more graphics work building each area.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

One of the leads guys, I think it was Stackpole, was pretty adamant about the inclusion of VOs in an interview. Fargo has since mentioned noting the opposition from the boards if it meant compromising the writing, but I'd still expect some bits of voice work.

And Fargo's also said the camera will be placed somewhere high up, but the angle and details haven't been set in stone yet.

TOOT BOOT posted:

It really depends on whether they do what they planned to do (top-down)

That's not really true. Fargo's used top down and isometric interchangeably in interviews.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I swear that fargo bastard has been working on this poo poo since wasteland came out...

In wasteland he has wasteland 2 on an IBM in his office... or rather

FARAN BRYGO does...

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Rinkles posted:

That's not really true. Fargo's used top down and isometric interchangeably in interviews.

They're not really the same thing though. It's the difference in perspective between Civilization and Baldur's Gate.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

They're not really the same thing though. It's the difference in perspective between Civilization and Baldur's Gate.

I'm aware, but that doesn't make your assertion correct.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
In W2-related news, Duck and Cover, a Fallout-focused website, has put up a thread where you can presumably ask Fargo any question you want, and he's promised to answer them all.

Rinkles posted:

One of the leads guys, I think it was Stackpole, was pretty adamant about the inclusion of VOs in an interview.

True. Here's what he said exactly:

"Brian's already noted that audio is going to be a component we'll be exploiting, and I agree strongly with that. Having an actor read text can put so much more nuance into things that it really enriches the experience. I think having text available as a back-up, or as the primary source of information in places where a voice would not be appropriate (like reading a message scratched on a jail cell wall), is a good way to go. ... The trick with text is going to be to make it engaging enough that folks will want to read it."

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I'm aware, but that doesn't make your assertion correct.

Kickstarter page:

"We’re going back to the original and building from there. No first person shooter, we’re going top down so you get a tactical feel for the situation."

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

Kickstarter page:

"We’re going back to the original and building from there. No first person shooter, we’re going top down so you get a tactical feel for the situation."

Here's a specific quote were he bungles the terms, though to be fair, neither is really technical in the context used.

Gamebanshee posted:

Clearly we are going top down and that it is likely to be isometric in nature

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Given the tremendous reverence many here at Something Awful have for NMA, I'm sure you'll be thrilled to know following Codex's footsteps they've just raised enough to have a bar named after themselves in Wasteland 2. :)

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It actually kinda makes sense to have a bar called No Mutants Allowed in a post-apocalyptic game.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I wish Fargo would be clear about what their intentions are about VO then, he has also said they have noted the community don't want VO so they won't voice all the dialogue. If they are doing more than just an intro catch-phrase for NPCs then I'd rather take my money out and get drunk. Stop wasting everyone's money on VO and cut-scenes when everyone just reads the subtitles and skips your crap anyhow. If I wanted to listen to people read lines I could watch a movie (and they wouldn't be bugging out and lip-synching horribly while delivering the lines either).

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Voice acting is so rarely good I'd rather just read text in a lot of cases.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I wish Fargo would be clear about what their intentions are about VO then, he has also said they have noted the community don't want VO so they won't voice all the dialogue. If they are doing more than just an intro catch-phrase for NPCs then I'd rather take my money out and get drunk. Stop wasting everyone's money on VO and cut-scenes when everyone just reads the subtitles and skips your crap anyhow. If I wanted to listen to people read lines I could watch a movie (and they wouldn't be bugging out and lip-synching horribly while delivering the lines either).

What Fallout and many RPGs of the time did worked great. Dub a few lines of important NPCs to get their voice in your head, and put the rest in as text only. In the case of Fallout they actually went all out with their cast so it was expensive nonetheless, but that's a side note. I think a small taste of voice can add a lot to the experience if used effectively. Which, yeah, is what I'm hoping there gonna do.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

I also don't care about VO (and I personally can't stand 99% of it unless it's Liam Neeson and he's my dad :kiddo:). PS:T for me was all about reading all the wonderfully crafted lines; not having to sit there for an hour hearing a VO actor drone on and on from those lines.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I liked the talking heads from fallout. So long as it's only a handfull of NPC's that have a few lines each it shouldn't be a deal.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Depends, but it's definitely possible. Troika made Arcanum with about that number of staff over a 3-year period, which is pretty insane to think about. Given a simple, easy-to-use engine I'm sure a fairly large, content-heavy game could be made.

I'd still expect delays of a few months, but.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
Chiming in on my dislike of VO. I read faster than it is spoken, and 90% of the time I play with the volume turned down any way.

Also, there is nothing more irritating than the voice actor flubbing a line of dialogue and it staying in anyway (this happened numerous times in FO:NV, especially with the child actors).

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
A well managed project can do wonders in 18 months. It's more limited in scope but for example Bastion was made in 18 months. The technical side of things shouldn't be a problem with a project like this. The tools available these days are much better than what they were when Wasteland or Fallout were made.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

VO is great in cut scenes where the characters are actually doing things but voicing every little line of dialogue slapped over a static character portrait is a total waste. Even if the voice acting is good, no one wants to sit around and wait for Nolan North or whoever to finish spitting out what they finished reading ten seconds ago.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
So, I'm off to a rather inauspicious start but episode 1 of my LP is up at: http://youtu.be/TohBYtv3VX0 (may still be processing as of this writing).

I don't do much more than go through chargen and head to Highpool, so my apologies if it's boring. I'll try to keep each episode at around 30 min. and release as often as I can. Once I have another (hopefully more interesting) episode, I'll create a thread in the LP forum and link to them as well as future additions. I won't be spamming the thread after the release of the 2nd episode.

I'm more than happy to receive any advice or critique either on the thread or via PM. And yes, I realize my mic was capturing my breathing in an annoying fashion at times, I'll work on that.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

bonds0097 posted:

So, I'm off to a rather inauspicious start but episode 1 of my LP is up at: http://youtu.be/TohBYtv3VX0 (may still be processing as of this writing).

I don't do much more than go through chargen and head to Highpool, so my apologies if it's boring. I'll try to keep each episode at around 30 min. and release as often as I can. Once I have another (hopefully more interesting) episode, I'll create a thread in the LP forum and link to them as well as future additions. I won't be spamming the thread after the release of the 2nd episode.

I'm more than happy to receive any advice or critique either on the thread or via PM. And yes, I realize my mic was capturing my breathing in an annoying fashion at times, I'll work on that.

"This video has been removed because it is too long."

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

He carried our avenging steel over the Rhine,
He drank the emperor's toast from the Danube.

bonds0097 posted:

Video removed because too long. Try cutting it up for smaller pieces before Youtube auths you to upload longer stuff.

e: Or use Vimeo.

Just use Vimeo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
Looking at current donation trends (which will probably hold true until the last couple days, which will likely see a rush of last minute donators), this will cross 1.5 million around noon eastern on the 22nd, and will end up somewhere around 1.8 million in total.

• Locked thread