Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aluminumonkey
Jun 19, 2002

Reggie loves tacos

CuddleChunks posted:

I believe you can see if it's booting to the flash drive, which will load the mikrotik OS. If it's not doing that due to some foolishness at the factory then you can set it there. I don't remember right now if there is a specific diagnostic you can do but I'm very concerned that you aren't getting link lights. In the end, you probably have a bad board and they should get it replaced right away.

Guess I will send it back and use e 750gl for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weiz
Dec 12, 2003
Fishman is not just an understanding financial organisation.
I could of sworn they said the RB2011 was going to be faster than 400 series.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Weiz posted:

I could of sworn they said the RB2011 was going to be faster than 400 series.

It uses a newer generation of processor than the 400 and 700 series (MIPS 74K vs 24K) so you can't really judge performance based solely on clock speed.

aluminumonkey
Jun 19, 2002

Reggie loves tacos
Finally got a replacement for my borked 450G. I have to say this is really nice system, lots of options that I do not want to touch right now.

Are there any scripts or graphing tools that are similar to vnstat to monitor and log monthly bandwidth?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
They have graphs built in, but you can poll them directly with snmp as you would expect.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

sparticus posted:

Are there any scripts or graphing tools that are similar to vnstat to monitor and log monthly bandwidth?

Heh, I need to sort this out myself. Just moved to a new internet provider and I want to fly under their radar for moving data. I've got lots of options - tag traffic, add it to a queue and then query via SNMP, use The Dude to poll directly, run NetFlows on a machine and poll the mikrotik, just leave the unit on battery backup and check it near the end of the month. :v:

I'm spoiled for options though getting any one of them (except the last) setup is a little fiddly. I may end up setting up the Dude because I know it works out of the box with mikrotiks.

damnit
May 3, 2004
Just received my RB751G, any pointers for having it receive wifi from my other router so I can plug into the Mikrotik's Ethernet port and use the wifi connection?

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

damnit posted:

Just received my RB751G, any pointers for having it receive wifi from my other router so I can plug into the Mikrotik's Ethernet port and use the wifi connection?

create a bridge group, add the wireless interface and the ethernet interface to said bridge group. Setup the wireless as a pseudo-bridge or as a station wds link. Plug in wireless info, voila.
Don't forget to define your WPA key under the Wireless Security Profile tab, if you use encryption.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

zennik posted:

create a bridge group, add the wireless interface and the ethernet interface to said bridge group. Setup the wireless as a pseudo-bridge or as a station wds link. Plug in wireless info, voila.
Don't forget to define your WPA key under the Wireless Security Profile tab, if you use encryption.

Look at this loving voodoo right here. Who the hell knows what any of this means?

<logs in via telnet, follows examples from wiki>
-- or --
<logs in via winbox, follows description above>
-- or --
<logs in via webbox under 5.x, points and clicks and poo poo>

:unsmith: Oh Mikrotik, I love your crazy voodoo magic more with every day.

damnit - Zennik gave you the right description. If any of that was unclear, here's some more detail on how to do it from Winbox.
- Click Interfaces on the left
- Click + to add a Bridge. Accept the defaults and hit OK
- Click Bridge on the left then the Ports tab. Add ether1 and wlan1 into your bridge (click + and choose the interface, defaults for the rest).
- Click Wireless and double-click wlan1. Change its settings under the wireless tab as noted above - station-pseudobridge or station-bridge should do the trick.
- Click the Security tab of wireless and update the default profile to have your WPA key. You want Mode: Static Keys Required, then choose WPA PSK (or WPA2). Enter your key and hit OK.

That should give you a bridging wireless device that's locked onto your local wifi network.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

damnit posted:

Mind if I ask where you found one? I haven't seen them in stock anywhere yet.

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008

FasterThanLight posted:

Mind if I ask where you found one? I haven't seen them in stock anywhere yet.

If you're in the USA, you can't find them because the FCC approval of the device isn't done yet. A California-based vendor estimated their initial stocking date is at least 4-6 weeks out when I asked them yesterday.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Hm,
Anyone liking the RB751G-2HnD?

I'm looking for a wireless N router, I have one of those buffalo G routers that can run Tomato and I'm feeling behind the times.

http://www.amazon.com/Mikrotik-RB751U-2HND-WIRELESS-802-11b-1000mW/dp/B005Z7QHDW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332135049&sr=8-1

But this has me kinda worried..

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Mar 19, 2012

Weiz
Dec 12, 2003
I just saw the CCR-1036

quote:

Mikrotik CLOUD CORE Router CCR-1036

* 36 CORE PPC CPU (1.2Ghz per core)
* 4x SFP,
* 12x Gigabit port
* Touchscreen LCD
* 15mpps fastpath,
* 16Gbit throughput
* 1U Rackmount case

Heres hoping it doesnt get delayed like what seems to be all other new RouterBOARDs.

http://www.mikrotik-routeros.com/?p=369
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?p=307682#p307682

damnit
May 3, 2004

CuddleChunks posted:

Look at this loving voodoo right here. Who the hell knows what any of this means?

<logs in via telnet, follows examples from wiki>
-- or --
<logs in via winbox, follows description above>
-- or --
<logs in via webbox under 5.x, points and clicks and poo poo>

:unsmith: Oh Mikrotik, I love your crazy voodoo magic more with every day.

damnit - Zennik gave you the right description. If any of that was unclear, here's some more detail on how to do it from Winbox.
- Click Interfaces on the left
- Click + to add a Bridge. Accept the defaults and hit OK
- Click Bridge on the left then the Ports tab. Add ether1 and wlan1 into your bridge (click + and choose the interface, defaults for the rest).
- Click Wireless and double-click wlan1. Change its settings under the wireless tab as noted above - station-pseudobridge or station-bridge should do the trick.
- Click the Security tab of wireless and update the default profile to have your WPA key. You want Mode: Static Keys Required, then choose WPA PSK (or WPA2). Enter your key and hit OK.

That should give you a bridging wireless device that's locked onto your local wifi network.

I wanted to thank you for the clear instructions, I purchased this Mikrotik for the purpose of learning more networking stuff. However, I wasn't able to complete your instructions and in an act of desperation I plugged in a USB wifi adaptor, and Debian actually had the driver for it. Later this week I'll revisit the Mikrotik.

adocious posted:

If you're in the USA, you can't find them because the FCC approval of the device isn't done yet. A California-based vendor estimated their initial stocking date is at least 4-6 weeks out when I asked them yesterday.

I live in California and asked for it for Christmas from my parents. The first place my mom tried to order from said they only do orders totalling over $100. She said it was difficult to get ahold of, and I actually got it a month after Christmas, but I sure do have a RB751.

damnit fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 19, 2012

R1CH
Apr 7, 2002

The Ron Jeremy of the coding world
What's generally accepted as the best way to have wireless clients separated from wired clients on an RB751? I ended up going with some weird VLAN system but I don't feel this is optimal and it seemed rather convoluted in terms of setup. I don't just want them to be in a separate subnet, but physically isolated from the LAN portion of my network, only able to use the router as a gateway for internet.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

I think you do two things - set them into separate IP ranges and add a firewall rule to block traffic from one IP range to another. Those two should do a good job in keeping the interfaces separate while still allowing normal outbound traffic.

You can probably fiddle around with hotspot stuff too, but the above should be the poor man's way to handle it.

Weiz
Dec 12, 2003
Edit: misread requirements, VLANs and firewall is the best way as cuddlechunks says.

Weiz fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Mar 21, 2012

falz
Jan 29, 2005

A few new products here:

http://mum.mikrotik.com/presentations/PL12/PL12.pdf

Looks like they still haven't figured out SFP yet since the first RB2011 (2011L-IN) has none.

Rundown:
* CCR 1036 - previously mentioned
* 48V to 24V power converter
* RB400L - lower cost?
* "Metal" 1.3watt 5ghz outdoor radio
* SXT G - RB/SXT but with gig port

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

I can't wait until 2015 when we finally see a RB751G! :neckbeard:

Mikrotik needs to find some friends in the FCC because this is just getting ridiculous.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

falz posted:

Looks like they still haven't figured out SFP yet since the first RB2011 (2011L-IN) has none.

Seriously. Some of the things they do just lend more and more credibility to the half-assed appearance of the whole project.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

It is Latvian networking, comrade. Is good. Is most good.

chronofx
Mar 6, 2004

Hey guys, it's me
breakycpk!
I posted about this in the home networking thread, but I figured reposting part of what I mentioned there would be helpful to give y'all some context. Sorry if this is a stupid/obvious question, but I'm not that experienced with networking so figured I should get some feedback from those of you who are!

Background:
I've been having issues with being able to fully utilize my provisioned upstream from Comcast (4 Mbps) when streaming with Xsplit to Twitch.tv/Own3d.tv. Currently the cable modem is connected to a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 which is running the latest version of Tomato.

I had a feeling the router was causing issues, so I tried removing the router from the equation by connecting my streaming PC directly to the modem, and lo and behold, I was able to stream to both twitch & own3d at a constant 3.5-4 Mbps with 0 dropped frames. As soon as I add the router back into the mix, I immediately see a significant number of dropped frames and upstream bandwidth that fluctuates wildly from 600 kbps to 4.5 Mbps every time I run a bandwidth test. (This is with 0 other devices plugged into the router and with the wireless disabled)

Next Steps
I've tried everything I can think of with my old router, from flashing it with the latest version of Tomato and installing DD-WRT to disabling the SPI Firewall and setting my computer as the DMZ. (Someone recommended overclocking, but everything I've read about my particular router model suggests this is a very bad idea and probably won't help that much anyway). Basically, at this point, it's pretty clear this router shouldn't be doing NAT for the wired devices on my home network (at least not since I want to stream).

Initially I was going to just buy a Gigabit-capable, DD-WRT/Tomato-compatible router since that's what I'm most familiar with, but I've been pretty turned off by the $100-200 price tag on all the routers that meet these criteria. Then I stumbled across this post by the Franz recommending the Mikrotik 750GL and figured it might meet my needs. All I really care about right now is being able to do what I already do (gaming, usenet downloading, watch streams, general internet browsing), plus be able to stream reliably at 3.5 Mbps without being bottlenecked by my router's NAT speed.

Basically, my plan would be to replace my current router with the Mikrotik 750GL and then connect the Buffalo router to it for wireless. I envision the new home network looking something like this:

code:
                              |---Buffalo router (wifi)---Various wifi devices
                              |
Cable modem---Mikrotik750GL---|---Tivo,PS3,Xbox
                              |
                              |---Switch---My PC plus various other wired devices

Does this make sense/sound reasonable to y'all, or is Mikrotik excessive for my needs? I'd mainly be going with the Mikrotik750GL to get good hardware at a low price. I'm not a networking professional but I figure I could probably figure out how to set up what I need in the GUI (basics like bandwidth monitoring, port forwarding, etc).

chronofx fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 6, 2012

Weiz
Dec 12, 2003

CrazyLittle posted:

Seriously. Some of the things they do just lend more and more credibility to the half-assed appearance of the whole project.
Yeah, its kind of a joke how people are waiting more than 1 year for fixes on real problems but they manage to find the time to add a SMB server to a router.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

chronofx posted:

Does this make sense/sound reasonable to y'all, or is Mikrotik excessive for my needs? I'd mainly be going with the Mikrotik750GL to get good hardware at a low price. I'm not a networking professional but I figure I could probably figure out how to set up what I need in the GUI (basics like bandwidth monitoring, port forwarding, etc).

I love my little RB750G more and more every day. I'd say that you would be dumb *not* to get one since they are flexible and powerful. On the other hand, I work with mikrotik software every day for work so its interface doesn't intimidate me anymore. I have gotten used to doing things in the winbox and terminal interfaces and use both to program up boxes.

One thing that *is* loving voodoo is QoS/Packet shaping. The tools are there in the mikrotik and there's documentation online but it's seriously weird stuff. On the other hand, your little unit is capable of handling a lot of weird rules and trickery that other routers will balk at.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

We have been rolling out quite a few RB751U-2HnD and as such we've come to see the real world strength of the internal antenna (2.5dbi)

Problem with the device is the choice of the antenna connector. They use an MMCX connection and it cannot fit a right angle connector. This is pretty much impossible to find in normal channels requiring custom cables to be sourced or built which isn't great for the average SMB.

I've tracked down a retail supplier with an ok price for a full antenna solution, they don't have it on the website but the part that should fit the RB is RE07U-MMS for $14.99.

We're ordering a few(fyi the lead time is May 7th) and I'll report back the results.

Viktor fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 6, 2012

falz
Jan 29, 2005

I don't have the link handy, but Mikrotik lists two other antennas that are known to fit on their spec sheet or a forum thread announcing it. One of them is a small indoor sector.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Weiz posted:

Yeah, its kind of a joke how people are waiting more than 1 year for fixes on real problems but they manage to find the time to add a SMB server to a router.

The developers declined to add record types to the DNS server because "it's just a router" :ironicat:

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Oh baby, the new RB751 is a sleek little machine. We're replacing our customer routers with these because we love MikroTik and have an unhealthy fascination with the company and their products.

To that end I've built a setup script for my techs and field guys to use for easy configuration. It leverages the built-in config on one of these boards and makes it so that you just answer a couple questions, cut and paste the script onto a clean config and whammo - your router is programmed.

Then one of my buddies came by and said, "why are you using that? Haven't you seen Quick Setup?" :downs: Nooooooo. Welp, there goes the need for my pretty pony guide and my dumb setup script.

Actually, the script is still handy because it enforces consistency across our routers and builds in some scripts so we can switch between DHCP and PPPoE mode. Good times.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
One of the last things I did at my old job (an ISP that had just started using 751s for customer routers) was basically that - a Web interface where you could type in the end-user's IP address and such, and it would spit out a configuration file for a 751. Where's this "quick setup"? I might pass it along to the folks at the old workplace.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Upgrade to f/w 5.15 and look in the top-left of Winbox. It's a button up there that brings up a bigass Quick Setup page for you to fill in and set many of the router settings in one go.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
I am starting to doubt the RB751G-2HnD is ever going to come out in the US. :sigh:

I've been limping along on an old personal router since my 610N died in early March thinking the RB751G-2HnD was just around the corner.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Yeah, that's one major annoyance with Routerboards - their supply chain is horrible. They announce new boards and then it will be months and months before any units actually ship. Oops, we ran out again, sorry!

They perform well but are frustrating to get.

R1CH
Apr 7, 2002

The Ron Jeremy of the coding world

fordan posted:

I am starting to doubt the RB751G-2HnD is ever going to come out in the US. :sigh:

I've been limping along on an old personal router since my 610N died in early March thinking the RB751G-2HnD was just around the corner.

I kind of figured this would happen, we needed a new router recently so I just got the regular RB751U-2HnD and stuck a $30 gigabit switch in front of it. MT's supply chain is pretty terrible in the US.

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

R1CH posted:

I kind of figured this would happen, we needed a new router recently so I just got the regular RB751U-2HnD and stuck a $30 gigabit switch in front of it. MT's supply chain is pretty terrible in the US.

Part of the problem is the limited amount of wholesalers they sell to... and that small ISPs/WISPs and smaller resellers then gobble up all of the inventory, and then sit on it.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Man, do you know how much of a pain in the rear end it is to get a windows 7 computer and a winxp computer to talk to one another over VPN? IT's horrible! Win7 won't do MS-CHAP anymore and getting that backfilled into XP is a fool's errand. Getting XP to talk to a drat Win7 box is stupid as hell because of homegroups and nonsense there.

Oh wait, what's this badass PPTP server sitting on my desk that makes it easy as hell? Helloooooo Mikrotik. :smug:

Notes:
- Remember to *enable* the PPTP server. Failing to click that checkbox makes you look dumb when the win7 machine gripes about there not being any further vpn connections available (error 802).
- Set the Local Address of your PPTP profile to something not in the same range as your LAN. It's a quirk of Mikrotik vpn setups but it doesn't like to see the initial IP's on the same subnet.
- Turn on Proxy-ARP for the Bridge or ether interface that you have tied to your LAN. This allows your remote computer to talk into the LAN successfully.

I can write a proper guide later, though I mostly followed the setup from some existing guides. The above tricks were helpful since I worked through getting PPTP setup for a business customer a week ago. Good times.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
http://www.data-alliance.net/-strse-637/MikroTik-RB751G-dsh-2HnD-Gigabit-Wireless/Detail.bok

"Stock arrives 5/22"

Funny I noticed this, because I finally got off my bum to cancel the order I placed for two of these on 2/22! I guess I will give it another week, and see if I really have snagged two for $120.

I am not getting my hopes up, but what's another week on top of three months!

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I am not getting my hopes up, but what's another week on top of three months!

Good thing that you didn't get your hopes up.

What exactly is the problem with getting the 751G approved? The 751U has the same wireless specs and it was approved quickly.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I have on my desk a RB751G. I don't quite believe it.

And now I have prior engagements for the next few hours and can't play with it :(.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
And I can't get this to work. . .

I have a 450G acting as router, and for fun (ha) I am trying to setup the 751G as the wifi access point but on its own network.

The 450G is 10.20.30.0/24 and I made the 751G 10.20.40.0/24. I just modified the default config on the 751 so I think I may have missed something.

Pingin' is working but DNS is not.

450G config:
http://sprunge.us/hTRV

751G config:
http://sprunge.us/AQPh

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falz
Jan 29, 2005

'/export compact' is a lot easier to read