Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Christ, I wish there was a way for me to experience the ending but not have to play the games (halfway through 2 before I realized that I couldn't stand it and my patience had run out). I don't know why I just can't read about it; it's not the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Thanks for the advice folks, I took the plunge and got a second-hand copy of Dark Souls from Amazon. There's a Let's Play of Demon's Souls in the LP Archive that I can watch anyway.

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Palleon posted:

People complaining to the BBB are obviously over the top, but the ME3 ending is just awful. It is inconsistent with the rest of the game, it's inconsistent with itself, it's full of plot holes, it's just objectively bad. Especially for a 100+ hour trilogy that you had to spend around 180-200 bucks on to play, it's a horrific ending, and them releasing a new ending is pretty much the only way that I'll even consider buying another Bioware product. But to each their own.

The sad part about this huge 100+ hour trilogy based on morality and player choices with consequences is that the 95% of the game before the ending is some of the best gaming experiences probably ever created. It does it's job really well of painting the end of the trilogy and wrapping up all the loose things from the trilogy and explains in a lot more depth what has happened over the course of the three games (perfect example; Wrex from ME1 and his loyalty mission (more the live/die choice) going to Mordin in ME2 with his loyalty mission on destroying data or keeping it and then coming to a head in ME3 with a major plot point that could end in numerous different ways depending on what you did in ME1 and ME2).

Then you hit the ending and it nulls everything. Everything

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
It's one thing to complain about the ending; I certainly didn't like it. It's anothing thing entirely to bring something to the BBB, or to attempt to sue for false advertising.

I'm not defending the ending by any means, it's dreadful, but to complain hard enough that the company decides to re-tool the ending so everyone just shuts up seems to me some sort of insane, manbaby-esque entitlement that makes me agree with the sentiments towards hardcore BioWare fans. People are bad on both sides of the coin, though, so it's hard to criticize anyone besides BioWare.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Zomodok posted:

beat the game before you form an opinion on 'whiny bioware fans' being the 'absolute worst'.

those fans of bioware that are "the absolute worst" are the ones defending the ending :ssh:

I'm not even referring to the ending debate. I just meant the weirdos who post about wanting to marry Liara irl or make DIY Tali sex dolls or post theories about what Quarian sweat tastes like.

Like, most video game fans are terrible, but a lot of Bioware fans are terrible and creepy and also vocal.

e: But yes, I will post an actual opinion on the current ending in a couple of hours!

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Crowbear posted:

Welp, guess I'll put off doing my last couple of ME3 playthroughs until this comes through!

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/3/21/2890005/mass-effect-3-ending-to-be-retooled-in-response-to-complaints

This is hilarious. The best part is that I'm pretty sure they won't change the ending. If anything, they'll just add a couple of scenes here and there. Good luck, Bioware!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Harlock posted:

It's okay guys, it'll all be okay

Wait what the hell is this.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

SpacePig posted:

It's one thing to complain about the ending; I certainly didn't like it. It's anothing thing entirely to bring something to the BBB, or to attempt to sue for false advertising.

I'm not defending the ending by any means, it's dreadful, but to complain hard enough that the company decides to re-tool the ending so everyone just shuts up seems to me some sort of insane, manbaby-esque entitlement that makes me agree with the sentiments towards hardcore BioWare fans. People are bad on both sides of the coin, though, so it's hard to criticize anyone besides BioWare.

I think it's okay to blame Bioware just because, somewhere along the line, someone should have said "wait a minute, is this really how we're going to end the game?".

Ultimately, the guy who wrote the ending had too much power, there was a disconnect, and the whole thing could have been avoided if Bioware just communicated better between the head writer and the other writers. But now they're in the situation they're in, a lot of people are pissed, it's going to affect DLC sales, so they have to do something, it's just a matter of what and when. But I don't want to turn this thread into ME3 bitching thread number 3, so I'll just leave it at that.

But I do agree that everything with ME3 up to the last 5-10 minutes was really amazing. It wasn't 95% of the game that was good, it was 99%. It's just that the last 1% soured that previous 99%. Someone said it best in the other thread:

"My brother and I compared it to eating a stack of pancakes and getting to the bottom and finding a turd hidden under the last pancake. The pancakes were great but the turd at the end turns you off to pancakes entirely."

Palleon fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 21, 2012

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Yodzilla posted:

Wait what the hell is this.

Costume DLC for FFXIII-2 coming soon!

Why? How?

Who knows! Synergy! Cross-promoting!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Morpheus posted:

Christ, I wish there was a way for me to experience the ending but not have to play the games (halfway through 2 before I realized that I couldn't stand it and my patience had run out). I don't know why I just can't read about it; it's not the same.

Yeah. Believe me, I thought my friends were overreacting too. But it's something you really have to see to believe. When it happens you'll still think "Well, that wasn't as bad as everyone says. Yeah it's bad, but people are overreacting." After thinking about it for a couple of hours you'll find yourself filling out complaints to the FTC and writing thesis-size fanfiction endings to find catharsis.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Also, maybe I misread or am misremembering, but wasn't there a big change in the writing staff between ME2 and 3? I can't imagine something like that would go well, regardless of the quality of the games.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I'm only near the beginning of ME2, but what I've heard about ME3 and the ending make it sound like the promise of a custom experience with lasting consequences was disingenuous.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I've never played ME. Can someone give me a cliffnotes of what's wrong with the ending?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

So PlayStation Norway is going to be announcing something tomorrow. On their Facebook, they posted this image

That name, which apparently belongs to a prominent explorer of the Arctic, leads to a Norwegian website which teases an announcement for tomorrow at 20:59 local time. The music and theme sound kind of familiar right? Like Uncharted? Well it should because Sony did this before with Uncharted 3. Usual suspects for this are Uncharted 4, Uncharted Vita 2, and maybe the movie. A weird long shot bet is the Uncharted: Golden Abyss "unique online mode" supposedly in works.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Policenaut posted:

So PlayStation Norway is going to be announcing something tomorrow. On their Facebook, they posted this image

That name, which apparently belongs to a prominent explorer of the Arctic, leads to a Norwegian website which teases an announcement for tomorrow at 20:59 local time. The music and theme sound kind of familiar right? Like Uncharted? Well it should because Sony did this before with Uncharted 3. Usual suspects for this are Uncharted 4, Uncharted Vita 2, and maybe the movie. A weird long shot bet is the Uncharted: Golden Abyss "unique online mode" supposedly in works.

Dunno what the hell that is, but I do like that music.

Edit: I'd be very surprised if it was another Uncharted title though, considering how recently the previous titles came out.

Then again, uutforsket means unexplored, sooooo that's pretty much Uncharted.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 21, 2012

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zomodok posted:

beat the game before you form an opinion on 'whiny bioware fans' being the 'absolute worst'.

those fans of bioware that are "the absolute worst" are the ones defending the ending :ssh:

Nah, there are people that want to sue Bioware. Those players are pretty terrible. I hated the ending too, but it was nothing worth staying worked up over for any length of time. Game storylines don't matter anyways.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Spermando posted:

I've never played ME. Can someone give me a cliffnotes of what's wrong with the ending?

Very vague, generalized spoiler, as I haven't experienced it yet for myself: Doesn't matter what you did, everyone gets a virtually identical ending.

Something else I've heard by accident that sounds stupid is that if people die in earlier games, they are replaced with people just like them in ME3. So much for consequences.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Policenaut posted:

That's the Uncharted font on the website too.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 21, 2012

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Spermando posted:

Have you ever watched Lost? It's the same deal as that ending.

the truth posted:

I'm only near the beginning of ME2, but what I've heard about ME3 and the ending make it sound like the promise of a custom experience with lasting consequences was disingenuous.

If it's any consolation, ME2's ending AND final mission are better than 3's.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

the truth posted:

Very vague, generalized spoiler, as I haven't experienced it yet for myself: Doesn't matter what you did, everyone gets a virtually identical ending.

Something else I've heard by accident that sounds stupid is that if people die in earlier games, they are replaced with people just like them in ME3. So much for consequences.

That's pretty lame if true, but I don't see why it caused so much outrage.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Spermando posted:

Because you didn't invest 100+ hours into a trilogy promising the exact opposite. It's very hard to understand why people are upset at the ending if you haven't played it and are invested in the story, if you're looking at it from an outside view, of course you're not going to understand why the people who played it are upset.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Spermando posted:

Well, trying not to spoil too much, you played through all three games, made all of these decisions, in preparation for this ending and it turns out none of it really matters because everything is screwed regardless. There's no "happy" ending, no way to really say "I won."

Oh, and you're basically Jesus, and some other alien is God.

the truth posted:

Well, this can actually have an effect on the choices you can make in ME3, what squad mates you can have, and what version of the ending you get.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Definitely Uncharted.

The font is called Base 02. I have it on my computer.

I wrote this in Photoshop using it:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Sounds a whole bunch like Uncharted, but a new game? Are ND that far along with The Last of Us to be announcing or releasing info about the next UC game? Not getting my hopes up but UC4 would be loving sweet.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

It could be Uncharted Vita 2. Sony Bend doesn't have any announced projects right now I believe.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Spermando posted:

As I said in an earlier post, the series began with a promise of a completely customized experience with lasting consequences. I don't think the ending has any of that, and it's subjectively not very good to boot. So, you have people who have invested hundreds of dollars and tens of hours, and Bioware dropped the ball at the most crucial moment.

I think it's fair to avoid story driven games based on poor endings, but it's a shame to lead people on for years and leave them high and dry.

On the other hand, I think it's poetic and existential that no matter what, everyone gets the same ending. That doesn't make it good or appropriate, however, as Bioware would have defended it if that is what they were going for.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Bioware must be so happy that so many people are yelling at them. Imagine the boatloads of money they'll get for Fixed Ending DLC at $2.99 a pop.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Policenaut posted:

It could be Uncharted Vita 2. Sony Bend doesn't have any announced projects right now I believe.
That's pretty likely, actually. Nuts.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Stelas posted:

Bioware must be so happy that so many people are yelling at them. Imagine the boatloads of money they'll get for Fixed Ending DLC at $2.99 a pop.
Yeah, that would set a horrible precedent that would make them notorious in the industry. If they made the DLC free as a sign of good faith, that would be slightly better. They can't unscrew the pooch though.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Stelas posted:

That's the most worrying part about this. Like Sanders says, this sets a precedence of releasing something half-done and getting fans to eat up your fix for just $4.99 or something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

the truth posted:

On the other hand, I think it's poetic and existential that no matter what, everyone gets the same ending. That doesn't make it good or appropriate, however, as Bioware would have defended it if that is what they were going for.

It's arguable, but even if it is, a game like Mass Effect really isn't the place for poetic and existential. It's a cheesy space opera at the best of times. A good ending fits the product as a whole.

A good chunk of why ME3 is so annoying is because the game is pretty good about sticking to tone throughout the entire thing and then the last five minutes are like something from a completely different product.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Stare-Out posted:

That's pretty likely, actually. Nuts.

I think it'd actually kind of line up with Uncharted 2 as well. Golden Abyss was basically Uncharted 1 setting-wise, so a more arctic/snowy region would fit for matching Uncharted 2.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Policenaut posted:

But... but the first one just came out. :eng99:

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Whoever made the Uutforsket site doesn't really know how trying to link images/favicons on a website works, but this was in the source code:

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="file:///Macintosh HD/Users/christiancalmar/Documents/BiFrost/Website/Nyt website/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />

If anyone knows who Christian Calmar is or what "Nyt" means, they could probably work out what it's all about.

edit: Found this site by googling the name:
http://playstadium.dk/32100/25-10-11-1643/

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Question Mark Mound posted:

Whoever made the Uutforsket site doesn't really know how trying to link images/favicons on a website works, but this was in the source code:

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="file:///Macintosh HD/Users/christiancalmar/Documents/BiFrost/Website/Nyt website/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />

If anyone knows who Christian Calmar is or what "Nyt" means, they could probably work out what it's all about.
I'm not norwegian but I'd wager "Nyt" means "New".

Edit: Wait, BiFrost?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

If they made the DLC free as a sign of good faith, that would be slightly better.

I can just imagine Bioware trying to price the ending DLC for free and EA deciding they want to monetize it; that'd be kind of hilarious.

I think there's a fairly terrible precedent here either way, and not just from the companies but also from the fans. The tenet of 'bad endings in console games' has been cemented in for at least another couple years, and we might be looking at 'ending DLC' as an extra sting in the tail. On the other side, this potentially opens the door for gamers to cajole and threaten en masse about any ending they dislike and 'how dare you not change it BIOWARE DID' etc. I wouldn't want to be a game writer right now.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Question Mark Mound posted:

edit: Found this site by googling the name:
http://playstadium.dk/32100/25-10-11-1643/

Sounds like the dude is just a marketing guy who works with Sony in Scandinavia.

http://dk.linkedin.com/pub/christian-calmar/26/34a/511

e:

"Bifrost Productions is a production company hailing from Copenhagen.
Our passion is film making - We make music videos, interviews, viral video, web TV, events, ads, documentary, spots - You name it! We create it!
We are trained communication strategists and with our expertise, we help you to reach your audience."

so all the info in the link doesn't really tell us anything about the announcement.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Stelas posted:

I can just imagine Bioware trying to price the ending DLC for free and EA deciding they want to monetize it; that'd be kind of hilarious.

I think there's a fairly terrible precedent here either way, and not just from the companies but also from the fans. The tenet of 'bad endings in console games' has been cemented in for at least another couple years, and we might be looking at 'ending DLC' as an extra sting in the tail. On the other side, this potentially opens the door for gamers to cajole and threaten en masse about any ending they dislike and 'how dare you not change it BIOWARE DID' etc. I wouldn't want to be a game writer right now.
EA: We know you want to gain your fans' support back but fan support is not part of our business strategy. Monetize it!

I can't imagine any argument other than that.

As for game writers, things like this make me think that game writers SHOULD feel their jobs threatened by this debacle, no matter how it turns out. I guess it's possible it will help the medium overall.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

As for game writers, things like this make me think that game writers SHOULD feel their jobs threatened by this debacle, no matter how it turns out.

I kind of agree, because it would be nice to see writers spurred to do a better job... but I also kind of disagree, because - ME3 aside - gamers can often be really dumb in what they like or dislike. Worst case, "HOW DARE YOU I WANT A REWRITE OF DARK SOULS' ENDING SO I GET WITH A SIDEKICK GIRL".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Weren't the writers for the series something like this?

ME: A
ME2: A+B
ME3: B

I think people liked Mr. A and hated Mr. B.

• Locked thread