Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
I peel 10 or 15 bulbs, cover it in oil, and put it in the oven for 1- 1,5 (if I forget it) hours at 100*c, the oil I'm using is either a neutral oil, or a bulk extra virgin olive oil. Then I store it in the fridge - it has a shelf life of virtually forever..

Happy Hat fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Well, this is certainly something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO-msplukrw

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Ahahaha what

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
Chick Fil A's owners are very conservative christian types and financially support groups like "Focus on the Family", etc. Some college kids with nothing better to do decided to hand out flyers at NYU stating that the company as a whole will want to know about your sexual orientation if you apply for a job there. And apparently some cross dressing Wilson Philips impersonators decided to do a music video.

Day in the life, I suppose.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
I'm strangly hungry and aroused right now.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

bartolimu posted:

Well, this is certainly something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO-msplukrw

Holy lol. I laughed too hard at this.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Vegetable Melange posted:

I'm strangly hungry and aroused right now.
What else is new?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

The Macaroni posted:

What else is new?

The absence of shame in telling the internet same.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:
That was fantastic.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

:toot: I can't remember who posted the Carbonara thread, but thank you. It has become a recurring dish in my life and I submitted it to a local weekly Yelp event to pick specials for an Italian restaurant in town and it won.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I like turtles posted:

:toot: I can't remember who posted the Carbonara thread, but thank you. It has become a recurring dish in my life and I submitted it to a local weekly Yelp event to pick specials for an Italian restaurant in town and it won.

I believe that was The Jizzer.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Phummus posted:

When I roast garlic, I cut the top of the head off, drizzle with a bit of olive oil, wrap in foil and throw it in the oven for an hour or so at 350. You mentioned using the oil that you simmer the garlic in. Can you describe your garlic roasting technique as well? I would think prolonged exposure to heat would reduce the fruitiness of a good olive oil.

Peel all your cloves, cover with decent oil and then throw on the lowest heat you possibly can until they soften and just barely start to color. It should take 20 minutes max. Process your hummus while the oil is still hot. It may kill of some of the finer notes in a really excellent oil, so just use that to finish and use a mid-range oil to cook in if it concerns you.

Safety Engineer
Jun 13, 2008

The Macaroni posted:

My mom spent years trying to find me a non-Mormon troop to join. Once she finally found one and was satisfied with it, I joined up and had an awesome time...until my scoutmaster got hurt in an accident. :(

Even though I'm still Mormon at the moment, damned if any of my male children will participate in the Church scouting program. We'll go camping on our own, thanks.

I tried looking for a non-mormon one after that experience, but the closest is about an hour away. The ironic thing is that one started up in the tiny town we'd just moved out of :( I kept thinking "Are you loving kidding me", we left Tooele to be closer to society and the one damned thing I don't have access to suddenly pops up two blocks away from our old house!!!???

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Happy Hat posted:

I peel 10 or 15 bulbs, cover it in oil, and put it in the oven for 1- 1,5 (if I forget it) hours at 100*c, the oil I'm using is either a neutral oil, or a bulk extra virgin olive oil. Then I store it in the fridge - it has a shelf life of virtually forever..

so, submerged in the oil you cooked them in? they really last indefinitely? I keep on buying roasted garlic at the little olive bar thing at my supermarket, but I throw it out after a week or so. of course, it's not submerged in oil. once it turned green and smelled like death. :( dunno how they prepare theirs though.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

mindphlux posted:

so, submerged in the oil you cooked them in? they really last indefinitely? I keep on buying roasted garlic at the little olive bar thing at my supermarket, but I throw it out after a week or so. of course, it's not submerged in oil. once it turned green and smelled like death. :( dunno how they prepare theirs though.

Isn't that basically like garlic confit, where confit was a way used as a preservative?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Standard warnings about Botulism risk for confit garlic, since you're storing food in an anaerobic environment and I guess the botulism spores either contaminate it after it is off the heat or they're resistant to the relatively low heat levels used. Guidelines I've seen have suggested that you keep it refrigerated and not keep it for more than two weeks. That may be overkill, I don't know. I bet NosmoKing could shed some light on the matter.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

I like turtles posted:

Standard warnings about Botulism risk for confit garlic, since you're storing food in an anaerobic environment and I guess the botulism spores either contaminate it after it is off the heat or they're resistant to the relatively low heat levels used. Guidelines I've seen have suggested that you keep it refrigerated and not keep it for more than two weeks. That may be overkill, I don't know. I bet NosmoKing could shed some light on the matter.

Seems like you should hit it at 121*c, so either I've been lucky, or I've had my oven on too high (prolly the first) - I will adjust to 125.

But yeah - it lasts at least a couple of months in the fridge (but it will only last me about 2 weeks when we're talking around 100 cloves - bitches needs their garlic bread!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Happy Hat posted:

Seems like you should hit it at 121*c, so either I've been lucky, or I've had my oven on too high (prolly the first) - I will adjust to 125.

But yeah - it lasts at least a couple of months in the fridge (but it will only last me about 2 weeks when we're talking around 100 cloves - bitches needs their garlic bread!

I believe the proper grammar there would be 'bitches need they garlic bread' actually.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Seems to me like if you have a SV set up, it'd be easier/safer to do it that way.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

SV above 121*c ?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

I like turtles posted:

Would rubbing the clove with a tiny bit of pink salt help with this? Or will you never be able to add enough without the product getting too salty?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Happy Hat posted:

SV above 121*c ?

I read F, my bad. But 121 C seemed high to me, so I looked up Douglas Baldwin who says...

quote:

a 6 decimal reduction in non-proteolytic C. botulinum requires 520 minutes (8 hours 40 minutes) at 167°F (75°C), 75 minutes at 176°F (80°C), or 25 minutes at 185°F (85°C) (Fernández and Peck, 1999). The food may then be stored at below 39°F (4°C) indefinitely, the minimum temperature at which B. cereus can grow (Andersson et al., 1995).

also:

quote:

While keeping your food sealed in plastic pouches prevents recontamination after cooking, spores of Clostridium botulinum, C. perfringens, and B. cereus can all survive the mild heat treatment of pasteurization. Therefore, after rapid chilling, the food must either be frozen or held at

below 36.5°F (2.5°C) for up to 90 days,
below 38°F (3.3°C) for less than 31 days,
below 41°F (5°C) for less than 10 days, or
below 44.5°F (7°C) for less than 5 days

So you were probably just doing it high enough for long enough.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

bunnielab posted:

Would rubbing the clove with a tiny bit of pink salt help with this? Or will you never be able to add enough without the product getting too salty?

Possibly. But at the very least that would be swatting a fly with a Buick. It's also pretty easy to get poisonous levels of nitrates if you don't measure your food and pink salt very exactly. You can't just throw a pinch into the pan.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Wroughtirony posted:

Possibly. But at the very least that would be swatting a fly with a Buick. It's also pretty easy to get poisonous levels of nitrates if you don't measure your food and pink salt very exactly. You can't just throw a pinch into the pan.

Yeah, I have no idea how to figure out how much nitrates actually end up in bacon and stuff. I have been keeping my bag of pink salt in a misc cooking drawer along with some decorative cookie sugar. If I suddenly stop posting you guys will know why.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Don't you work with dangerous and heavy machinery for a living?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
one of my clients is a biomedical advocacy group, which has networking meetings and an annual scientific review event and stuff. I went to one of the paper presentation session things, and read a paper by a phd candidate looking at the survival of botulism in acidulated mayonnaise. they compared survival rates based on PH, and on commercially prepared "lemon juice" vs fresh squeezed lemon juice vs citric acid vs not at all.

it was interesting, because in all the samples, I remember seeing that botulinum spores - when put in a properly acidulated medium - eventually die off. like, no matter what acid was used, at the proper PH, after like 5-10 days, all the mediums were fine - it was just the rate at which they were killed off that varied. this was surprising to me, because I guess I just figured that things got worse over time, no matter what.

I wish I knew how to get enough into food science to know exactly when to be comfortable with holding things at various temperatures, and when a jar of roasted garlic in oil or pot of old soup is gonna kill me. Given how blasé I am about the food safety of actual food items (raw beef? sure thing! eggs still quivering, raw cookie dough? of course! all variety of perishable sea creatures eaten raw? sure count me in!) I find it really disturbing how afraid I can get of things after 5-6 days of their sitting in the fridge. :( if it's a soup or something and I haven't re-boiled it after 6 days, I throw it out. same with cooked meats, cooked vegetables, basically everything. but I'm sure some of it is probably fine, I just get the heebie jeebies. :( someone help cure me please. :( :(

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 22, 2012

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Presentation has a lot to do with. Expertly presented shellfish at a restaurant is a lot more enticing than weeks old garlic in your fridge.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Steakandchips posted:

Don't you work with dangerous and heavy machinery for a living?

I used to, although it was more "common tools used in dumb ways often at great height while sometimes hungover".

This was a not super uncommon result:

But a trip to a TGI Fridays (loving Amex is to blame) and 5-6 Long Island Iceteas later and I am up the next morning ready to do it again. I was totally straight when that happened, I was just lulled into day dreaming and was dumb for like 1 second.

Despite trying to get back into this stuff I am again sitting in an office talking into a phone all day.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Yeah, in theory if you could make the oil somewhat acidic you'd be fine - which is why anaerobic conditions in a pickle jar don't result in botulism. You'd start loving with your flavors, though maybe you could pull off something both tasty and effective. Not sure how to acidify oil outside of an emulsion, and sticking your garlic confit cloves in mayo would be weird.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
What the gently caress. Put a garlic bulb in the oven. At pretty much any temperature. Take it out when it's awesome.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
So, what is it about staying home alone and getting lovely on cheap wine that is just so relaxing?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The latent alcoholism?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The Macaroni posted:

Both mediaphage and KWC are correct: oil as a garnish rather than a major ingredient, and roasted garlic > raw garlic in hummus.

Oh, oh, and make sure to serve your hummus with fresh basil! Oh man that is good. A nice crisp basil leaf in a scoop of hummus is the very thing. It also works with mint, unless I am very much mistaken in my memories of Syria.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Steakandchips posted:

The latent alcoholism?

Hmmm, yes....

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

So, what is it about staying home alone and getting lovely on cheap wine that is just so relaxing?

Everything, gently caress haters.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Phummus posted:

Does anyone have a link to, or the recipe for the One True Hummus?

Wrez's one-true-hummus: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3323223&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=9#post379527735
(linked from my wiki hummus)

sweat poteto fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Mar 22, 2012

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Vegetable Melange posted:

Everything, gently caress haters.

I have recently purchased a bottle of sherry which I dubbed my "computer wine," since I'm storing it near my computer and drinking it whilst I compute. This is a wonderful thing.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Kenning posted:

I have recently purchased a bottle of sherry which I dubbed my "computer wine," since I'm storing it near my computer and drinking it whilst I compute. This is a wonderful thing.

Mmm, I love sherry. The sweet stuff though, I'm afraid. But decent sweet stuff, you understand, with toasty raisiny caramelly notes.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I liked to get tipsy off this lovely ruby port I had standing next to my screen while typing my masters thesis. Liquid inspiration, and the Ballmer peak is definitely real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I stopped drinking on weekdays, because it was starting to get expensive. I realised yesterday that I haven't bought a bottle of liquor in a couple of months. This means that with all this extra money lying around I was able to go nuts and splurge on some frozen berries and such for smoothies this morning. You barely need any at all to give the smoothie lots of the taste, and the bananas are relatively cheap anyway. The taste difference between the frozen berries and the godsawful out of season ones is huge. The excitement I got from buying them, and the enjoyment I'm getting from drinking the smoothie this morning was well worth the creeping sobriety.

Yes. I have officially become An Old Person. I felt so indulgent and naughty for spending around $20 on frozen berries. But /man/ did it feel good.