Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

Party Plane Jones posted:

Insanity in ME3 switched back from ME2's level of "Hard, but doable and fun." to ME1 "You will want to kill yourself because of how hard this is."

Yep.

And you die too often for stupid poo poo like whiffing charge or clunky controls. It's not that difficult per se, it's that enemies are cheap and the gunplay just isn't good enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Insanity in ME3 switched back from ME2's level of "Hard, but doable and fun." to ME1 "You will want to kill yourself because of how hard this is."

It really isn't that hard. I played my first game with an engineer on insanity and, aside from a few spots, it was far too easy for me.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen

I actually died a lot less during insanity ME3 than I did in ME2, and find the combat overall a lot more satisfying, fair, and fun. There are more possibilities for flanking and, while the "one button does everything" thing is still retarded, the movement system feels a lot better to me. Grenades and stuff also force you to move around instead of just sitting behind a single piece of cover for the entire battle.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

NihilCredo posted:

Even if that picture is hilarious (that kid must be floating inside the N7 armour), for some reason I always like to see Western videogames get promoted and be successful in Japan. It's just always seemed so profoundly dumb to me that there is this sort of one-way mirror by which Western audiences get to enjoy and learn from Japanese games, but Japanese players are pretty much left out to dry.

I thought that Japan didn't care about Mass Effect after the first game's translation flopped and the second never made it over.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Sniper Party posted:

I actually died a lot less during insanity ME3 than I did in ME2, and find the combat overall a lot more satisfying, fair, and fun. There are more possibilities for flanking and, while the "one button does everything" thing is still retarded, the movement system feels a lot better to me. Grenades and stuff also force you to move around instead of just sitting behind a single piece of cover for the entire battle.

Are there not magical one shot sniper shots in your games or something because it was depressingly common in mine.

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010
My first playthrough was with a shotgun Sentinel on Insanity, and I found it way, way easier than my first playthrough on ME2 (also on Insanity). Mostly because you can actually CC people without putting a lot of damage on them now.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Geostomp posted:

I thought that Japan didn't care about Mass Effect after the first game's translation flopped and the second never made it over.

But..But..Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas Effect :shepface:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpOwpK0yh-Q

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

Andrast posted:

It really isn't that hard. I played my first game with an engineer on insanity and, aside from a few spots, it was far too easy for me.

Try Vanguard, sometimes your main power doesn't even work. Makes for some interesting gunplay :(

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
I almost found Insanity easier than in ME2 since you have more options, given that not all enemies have protection now. Complaints about the gunplay are fair however, since ME gunplay is not as strong as it would be in a straight shooter. However, the strength of ME, in my mind, has always been in the power wielding classes. If you're using your squad and their powers as well as your own frequently and the way they're meant to be used, you shouldn't have any problems.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Andrast posted:

Same, I did an engineer on insanity on a ME2 import and it was definitely easier than my insanity runs in ME2 (except for the very last enemy).

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Are there not magical one shot sniper shots in your games or something because it was depressingly common in mine.
I don't think I ever got one-shotted during my playthrough, no. I did get shot by a Nemesis a couple of times, but it only ever took down my shield and maybe a bit of health.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Paino posted:

Try Vanguard, sometimes your main power doesn't even work. Makes for some interesting gunplay :(

I've also done it with a Vanguard, even easier than engineer. Only time I died was when charge bugged out (Not that often) or I wasn't careful with Banshees. Charge + Nova destroys everything.

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010

Paino posted:

This happened a lot in ME2 two, particularly if you were charging from cover. Also, Vanguards are a lot easier in ME3 because Nova is absurdly good.

Edit: ^^ what this guy said. Also, Nemeses can't one shot you. At most they will take all your shields and then the second shot kills you.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006

You've always needed to be smart about cover on Insanity. You'll die very quickly outside of cover no matter what class.

If you're talking about Nemesis specifically sniping you, its just tactical basics: prioritize your targets. Focus on at least neutralizing them first. Having played Adept, Vanguard, and an Infiltrator now(unemployment's a bitch) I never had problems with snipers. I can also say conclusively that a Nemesis cannot one shot if your shields/health are full. Of course, on insanity, that's a rare state.

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

Paino posted:

This pisses me off so much. I sit there tapping 1 and it keeps beeping but nothing happens and then I die.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
I'm still convinced the Vanguard glitchyness was on purpose as a safeguard so that Vanguard can't be too awesome.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Vanguard isn't too awesome, that is just propaganda by the lesser classes. :shepface:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

HenessyHero posted:

Why in heaven's name are you playing on Insanity if you're having problems with basic game mechanics like the cover system, revival, evasion or things like 'avoid the generously fused grenades'? The mechanics don't take long to get and use well, barring the initial counter-intuitiveness of a single action button. Drop down the difficulty from the highest setting until the challenge isn't overbearing.

I had no real problems with Insanity except in cases where I, say, wanted to roll away from the enemy because I was getting shot and then I went into cover in plain sight instead.

Having one button do a half dozen completely opposite things is bad design, you don't have to defend it just because you like the game.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Vanguard can never be too awesome.

Unless you're my housemate who is playing a Vanguard and has 1 point in charge and none in Nova.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I had no real problems with Insanity except in cases where I, say, wanted to roll away from the enemy because I was getting shot and then I went into cover in plain sight instead.

Having one button do a half dozen completely opposite things is bad design, you don't have to defend it just because you like the game.

It's so good in multiplayer when someone dies near a wall and the whole team wipes because instead of reviving them they just keep sticking to cover instead. It never stops being hilarious.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Unless you're my housemate who is playing a Vanguard and has 1 point in charge and none in Nova.

Going to re-quote myself here again:

Zedd posted:

Charge at him and punch him in the face, It will both help with his stupidity and teach him how to play the class.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Noxville posted:

So while I've no doubt the spoiler thread is all over it, it should at least be mentioned in here that Bioware making changes to the ending.

Negative: https://twitter.com/!/masseffect/status/182517553602629633

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's a lovely mechanic and adding combat rolls to make the same button do even more things than in ME2 makes it even more of a clusterfuck, but I think recommending someone to lower the difficulty if they're having trouble with the game is fair.

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004
ME 2 insanity was pretty difficult for my vanguard at first so I did a training run on hardcore. ME 3 was a breeze really, mostly because charge/nova is just that strong. The most common mistake I have seen friends do on insanity is to bring too many weapons. I really only carry one shotgun and nothing else, recharge time is so important so you can charge all the time

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

ME3 allowed me decapitate two Marauders with one bullet in enfilade (on Insanity, after I took out their shields), so as far as I'm concerned the gameplay was a success :legion:

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

MrL_JaKiri posted:

For clarification I wasn't completely defending the mechanics, I said it was counter-intuitive after all, but neither is the system unequipped to deal with the challenges it presents to the player, so long as you manage the difficulty slider to your current skill/comfort level. Once I had gotten used to the more constant repositioning, had guaged the grenade's kill radius and sussed out which enemies have 1-hit kill moves, the only enemy left that I couldn't comfortably deal with were Banshees and even those guys didn't cause too many reloads. They're just really good at getting in your face.

But then again, I played an Infiltrator. Those guys own enough that they could score an integer on an overall kill per second stat, if mission's had one :allears:

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Andrast posted:

I've also done it with a Vanguard, even easier than engineer. Only time I died was when charge bugged out (Not that often) or I wasn't careful with Banshees. Charge + Nova destroys everything.

My favorite moment playing vanguard was killing two brutes at the same time immediately after they spawned with charge-nova-charge and squad mate biotic explosions. I only noticed one but then when the dust settled here were two dead on the ground.

Spawn camping enemies because you crossed a super long map segment in two seconds was pretty fun too. There's nothing quite like waiting under a shuttle and watching enemies slowly hover down to you, clueless of what awaits them at the end of the drop.

Playing Vanguard in ME2 was awesome because you were a shotgun toting, right hooking aggressive badass. Vanguard in ME3 is like playing an unstoppable force of destruction. Especially late game with two biotic squadmates (for the sweet detonations) I kept thinking "I AM A BIOTIC GOD!" as everything was melting away under blue explosions.

It's even funnier when you fight Cerberus because they often have combat dialogue mentioning you by name. "Oh poo poo it's Shepard!" *fwoosh* *boom*

Well, right up until charge refuses to work and you're stuck out of cover with no shields and there's a turret and a bunch of dudes sitting in front of you that the game refuses to target. :v:

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Paino posted:

Half of the times you'll die because for whatever reason Bioware still thinks using the spacebar to:

Get into cover
Run
Roll out of cover
Roll generally
Revive allies

is a smart design decision.

I don't fully agree with you on the rest but this is absolutely true and turns the controls into a mess at the worst times possible.

It really starts to get obnoxious in multiplayer when you're trying to run away from an atlas and just keep sticking to cover over and over. I think I've died more times trying to unstick myself from a wall while trying to run away from threats.

Near the end I stopped taking cover entirely and was able to survive much more often as I actually had room to maneuver and dodge and this was playing as an engineer.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

It's so good in multiplayer when someone dies near a wall and the whole team wipes because instead of reviving them they just keep sticking to cover instead. It never stops being hilarious.

This is so frustratingly true. Or when you try to activate an objective and go into cover instead.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Insanity on Mass Effect 2 wasn't really hard except for a few exceptions. That flamethrower rear end in a top hat on Garrus's mission can go gently caress himself though. I died more times to that guy than to anything else in the game.

edit; woops, meant Garrus instead of Mordin.

VaultAggie fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 21, 2012

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

ATP_Power posted:

charge refuses to work and you're stuck out of cover with no shields and there's a turret and a bunch of dudes sitting in front of you that the game refuses to target. :v:

GODDAMNIT IF MY "Y" BUTTON ISN'T BROKEN IT WILL BE IN A SECOND

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Red Mundus posted:

I don't fully agree with you on the rest but this is absolutely true and turns the controls into a mess at the worst times possible.

It really starts to get obnoxious in multiplayer when you're trying to run away from an atlas and just keep sticking to cover over and over. I think I've died more times trying to unstick myself from a wall while trying to run away from threats.

Near the end I stopped taking cover entirely and was able to survive much more often as I actually had room to maneuver and dodge and this was playing as an engineer.

This is especially bad with the camera setup for the game, where the FOV is kinda narrow and also only goes down to the waist. When you've got corresponding waist-high barriers all over the place, it means constantly bumping into things while you're trying to navigate a room.

Gears 3 had the right idea with its alternate controller mapping that allowed you to separate out roll/sprint and take cover. This one-button-fits-all mapping perpetuated by a lot of modern games is annoying.

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I was just playing multiplayer there. A banshee charges at me, I blast away at it from cover as it gets closer and then decide to get out of dodge. I turn around and try to sprint away, but my character decides she is going to jump over the cover into the face of the banshee. Then she leaps from side to side, from crate to wall, all the time simply refusing to just go forward. Then the banshee does one of those bullshit instant kill animations.

Two things I will never stop hating in this game: The retarded dodge/cover/sprint controls and the instant death moves.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

VaultAggie posted:

Insanity on Mass Effect 2 wasn't really hard except for a few exceptions. That flamethrower rear end in a top hat on Mordins mission can go gently caress himself though. I died more times to that guy than to anything else in the game.

Don't you mean Garrus' recruitment mission?

All the truly rear end in a top hat moments in ME2, redux:

- Archangel - The accursed shutter doors
- Kasumi - That stupid friggin' gunship
- Horizon - The two Scions and Praetorian
- Collector Ship - Spinning platforms with the Scions
- That Random Base with the 2 YMIRs - Ugh
- THAT STUPID QUARIAN WITH THE VARREN - Hardest mission in the game on Insanity, no joke

That's all I can remember off the top of my head.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

Wingless posted:

I was just playing multiplayer there. A banshee charges at me, I blast away at it from cover as it gets closer and then decide to get out of dodge. I turn around and try to sprint away, but my character decides she is going to jump over the cover into the face of the banshee. Then she leaps from side to side, from crate to wall, all the time simply refusing to just go forward. Then the banshee does one of those bullshit instant kill animations.

Two things I will never stop hating in this game: The retarded dodge/cover/sprint controls and the instant death moves.
I'm not denying that the controls are bullshit but if you're near the edge of whatever you're glued on, just holding forward and pressing space or whatever makes you continue forward.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.

Paino posted:

I was a huge fan of ME1 and 2, and I'm astonished by how bad this game is. Or at least, by how everything seems to be a big step back from ME2.

First of all, combat: it still feels incredibly clunky and playing on Insanity is frustrating and dumb. Enemies always magically know where you are and instantly shoot you (ignoring the rest of your team most of the times), throw grenades with unrealistic precision, and everything feels cheap as poo poo. Half of the times you'll die because for whatever reason Bioware still thinks using the spacebar to:

Get into cover
Run
Roll out of cover
Roll generally
Revive allies

is a smart design decision. Because it's not like we have a loving keyboard at our disposal. Also, yeah, enjoy your loving Vanguard still whiffing charge randomly and getting you killed. They didn't think it was worth fixing it after ME2? I'm speechless.

Story? Oh please. Everything looks and feels like Independence Day. Writing is terrible ("We fight or we die" - seriously?) and all kinds of heavy handed messages will hit you on the head: the kid dying in the first 20 minutes of gameplay was an embarassing moment story-wise (oh look we'll just throw this kid in to kill him after 10 minutes, look at how evile the Reapers are), generic "marines" rhetoric is all over the place and even your party members seem to be less interesting than in ME2.

Gameplay is horrifying. Resource gathering wasn't perfect in ME2, but this time you just launch your probe, collect some generic poo poo you never even see an image of, and give it to generic dude number 14 in the Citadel. Welcome to ME3 sidequests! They never even feel the need to introduce you to dude number 14, you just overhear his conversation, and then give him whatever stupid artifact he wants. Who does that, even in videogames? If you stop to think about it, Commander Shepard is pretty loving creepy.

I probably don't even need to mention the small tag game you play with the Reaper ships around the galaxy, I don't think they could've come up with anything more stupid and immersion-breaking.

Graphics: nope. They are blander than in ME2, the Citadel is smaller and looks like poo poo now, the first main mission sends you on a loving rock, most side missions are in generic futuristic compounds looking samey.

Also, bugs! A lot of them! The mission where you "recruit" Kasumi crapped out on me and now I can't complete it. Another couple of side missions are hosed forever, you get stuck in poo poo, environments are glitchy, etc.

Luckily I haven't finished the game yet, I'll wait for the patch. If the ending is as crappy as the rest of the game I'll pretend the franchise ended with ME2 and ignore this piece of poo poo was ever released.

Holy poo poo I never saw a post filled with so much pure wrong. And I'm someone who actually prefers Mass Effect 1 to Mass Effect 2.

You think the characters and story are worse in this game than ME1/ME2? I can't even imagine how. I've never thought the characters were more alive. They actually are dynamic and do more things than sit around waiting to vomit words at Shepard, and interact with the rest of the Normandy crew, and the camerawork is better. Not to mention, they seem to do a much better job of portraying emotion, and the characters just overall seem deeper and more mature.

And complaining about the graphics? I can't even understand this. The game has some absolutely amazing scenery - look at Palaven's Moon, Thessia, and Mars. The views you get of the horizon are absolutely on par and better than the best you saw in ME1 and ME2.

Calling the Citadel small, even? It might be, but worse than ME2's? This boggles my mind. ME2's Citadel was a drat shopping mall, ME2's Citadel actually feels fleshed out and like it has a bunch of different areas and is actually a place where people live and work.

And poo poo, compare the character models from ME3 to ME2, or especially ME1. Liara alone got a gently caress ton of improvements. But a lot of things did. I just don't understand you.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I want an ending where the Reapers win and Bioware makes Mass Effect 4. You will play a yahg spaceship captain who must convince the Yahg Council of the Reapers' existence but no one believes you so now you must recruit various individuals like a wise-cracking space cow pilot, a fast-talking sunfish scientist from Thessia, and a scarred pyjak mercenary that got his squad killed repeatedly as they investigate sightings of a flashlight-headed robot that might lead them to the planet where the fabled Normandy crashed.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

The MSJ posted:

I want an ending where the Reapers win and Bioware makes Mass Effect 4. You will play a yahg spaceship captain who must convince the Yahg Council of the Reapers' existence but no one believes you so now you must recruit various individuals like a wise-cracking space cow pilot, a fast-talking sunfish scientist from Thessia, and a scarred pyjak mercenary that got his squad killed repeatedly as they investigate sightings of a flashlight-headed robot that might lead them to the planet where the fabled Normandy crashed.

I would definitely pay for this. A yahg would be almost as much of a Sue as Shepard.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Okay so I'm considering finishing up an insanity run on all three games because I have too much free time.

What are the classes/weapons/squadmates that will make this the least frustrating? From what I remember in Mass Effect 1, soldier is essentially invulnerable due to Fitness being made broken if you completely focus on it, but I haven't played the game in years so I don't know if I just made that up and stuff.

Also is it better to do your insanity runs with low level characters or the highest level guys that you make?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryan-RB
Mar 19, 2006

If we knew the will of God, then we'd all be Gods, wouldn't we?

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

After all these years of climbing ninety-degree cliffs, I finally flipped the MAKO.

That thing handles like a drunk rhino.

• Locked thread