Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done
Is it possible that they need a little more time in the oven? The baking is very similar to that of meringues which can deflate if they come out too soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
Yeah, bake it longer so everything has a chance to set.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Some people have no tact.

I was at a fish convention Saturday and brought in some mix-from-a-box muffins that I made the night before. Colorful half rainbow muffins really. Most everyone loved them, save for one happy jackass, who took a bite, looked at me, and asked rather coolly, these are from a box, aren't they?

I admitted that yes, I had made muffins from a box to (a) give out to attendees and (b) sorry I couldn't homemake everything, I was running the registration table and bagging fish.

His response was a cool, "Yeah, I can tell."

Goddamnit. And then he said he was a professional pastry chef. I could only nod and smile and usher him through to get more people in line inside with their supplies.

So to the professionals who don't poo poo on the little guys who aren't pros, aren't trying to be pros, and just wanted to bring some colorful cakes for everyone, thank you.

chuchumeister
Jul 23, 2007

Stuffed with dericious cream for your pleasure!

I was originally going to go with either meatloaf cupcakes like the first recipe or Irish Carbomb cupcakes this year... but holy poo poo. Little potato cakes. I die. Must do. Is marzipan readily available? I've never noticed it in the baking section of my grocery stores.

Cowslips Warren posted:

rear end in a top hat

Ugh, gently caress him. People like that get off on trying to trample on others. Even Alton Brown likes boxed mix and that's good enough for me. :colbert:

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done
Who walks around a fish convention bragging about being a professional pastry chef anyway?

These St Patrick's day ideas are so :3: My niece's birthday is the 17th and even though my sister doesn't want to emphasize it I bet she couldn't say no to that rainbow cake.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:

chuchumeister posted:

I was originally going to go with either meatloaf cupcakes like the first recipe or Irish Carbomb cupcakes this year... but holy poo poo. Little potato cakes. I die. Must do. Is marzipan readily available? I've never noticed it in the baking section of my grocery stores.

I made almond paste out of some blanched almonds I found at my Asian grocery store. I've used the storebought kind before and I made basically the same thing.

http://www.two-tarts.com/2011/06/homemade-almond-paste.html

I'm going to attempt the potato cakes a third time, I hate when I can't get a baked thing right.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
I know these are tacky and not very culinary, but I made cake icecreams this evening. Tomorrow (or rather today as it's past midnight), I'm going to see a ceramicist called Anna Barlow, who makes amazing unmeltable icecreams in her kiln. These are a crappy nod to her work and the world of kitsch, as well as a thank you for having me over.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
I wanted to share the cake that my wife and our friend made for our son's 5th birthday over the weekend.

It was quite a project. Decorating took about 30 hours over two days. Thankfully they baked the cakes ahead of time and froze them. The body is made of 6 cakes, which was a challenge as they wanted to slide even with dowels, so the bottom cake was put back in a 9" metal pan and flipped upside down to serve as a steady base. His head and legs are rice crispy treat and (obviously) a crap load of fondant. The cake is a 1:2 scale of the actual R2D2 costume from the movies.

Also, as this was my small part to this cake, R2's eye actually lit up!

http://youtu.be/72fcalJPq90

Its incredibly hard to hear in that video, but it also made R2D2 sounds, as we put an iPod in its head. The fondant really muffled the sound though :(.

They have made some pretty crazy cakes for past birthdays, but this one was the hardest to cut up and serve. But he sure was delicious.

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

Holy poo poo that is awesome. Please tell me your son loved it.

chuchumeister
Jul 23, 2007

Stuffed with dericious cream for your pleasure!

Charmmi posted:

I made almond paste out of some blanched almonds I found at my Asian grocery store. I've used the storebought kind before and I made basically the same thing.

http://www.two-tarts.com/2011/06/homemade-almond-paste.html

I'm going to attempt the potato cakes a third time, I hate when I can't get a baked thing right.

Thanks for the recipe! Just depends on which is cheaper and/or easier, I guess... I'll snoop around the markets tomorrow.

Did you finally get the cakes to come out right for you?

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

I haven't had time to try it again but hopefully I will make another attempt tonight.

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012
Here is a cake I made last year for my comic book store's 10th anniversary!

I ended up making a little border of fondant balls because I am le suck at making smooth edges. The little decorations are all made of the same marshmallow fondant (the best!) and hide the various flaws of the yellow fondant layer.

QUESTION: What are some of the more "table-stable" icings? I will be making another cake this year and would really like to not give anybody food poisoning. The cake sits out all day and I live in terror of the icing going off. I think my recipe now consists of butter, shortening and powdered sugar. Is that safe to leave in a room-temperature place for hours?

Irving
Jun 21, 2003

four lean hounds posted:

QUESTION: What are some of the more "table-stable" icings? I will be making another cake this year and would really like to not give anybody food poisoning. The cake sits out all day and I live in terror of the icing going off. I think my recipe now consists of butter, shortening and powdered sugar. Is that safe to leave in a room-temperature place for hours?

I've never heard of icing going off. If you don't even have milk in your frosting, you're probably fine. The cake seems like it would be more in danger being full of eggs and such, but again, I've never heard of a cake going "off" in a few hours. If you live in a hot place, though, your icing might start melting a bit.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I suppose if you're using cream cheese or a weird mayonnaise frosting or something it might go off. But butter is fine at room temp for quite a while, and all the sugar should keep the bad stuff at bay anyway. There's a reason stuff is sugar cured, high sugar environments are inhospitable to bacteria.

breakfall87
Apr 22, 2004
ABunch7587's little bitch

four lean hounds posted:

You don't have to worry about icings going off if you keep them at room temp. A real buttercream needs to be held at room temp or it will stiffen and be a pain in the rear end. You should use it within a week, any longer and it may start to weep. Mind you, this doesn't always happen, but I have seen it before when I was told to make drat near 10 gallons of the stuff, which we obviously couldn't use in time.

There are certain icings that are designed for use in high humidity high heat environments, for events such as outdoor weddings in the tropics, but these are usually avoided if possible.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Susical posted:

Holy poo poo that is awesome. Please tell me your son loved it.

He's in a huge Star Wars phase so it was a total hit!

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

Hey guys, made this late last night at your suggestion, everyone loved it!

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

madlilnerd posted:

I know these are tacky and not very culinary, but I made cake icecreams this evening.

These are adorable, not tacky, and very awesome. I hope your host was suitably impressed with your thoughtful and creative gift!

tekopp
Mar 24, 2009
Chocolate sponge cake with dumle whipped cream.
Dumle is a chocolate covered toffee, and it's delicious.
Not my picture:

6 eggs, 150 gr sugar, 15 gr flour, 3-5 tablespoons of cocoa powder, a teaspoon of vanillaseads, and maybe a pinch of salt.
Whip the eggs and sugar stiff, and fold in the rest. Bake at 150 degrees celcius for about 30 minutes.

Melt 350 gr dumle in 5 dl heavy whipping cream, and set cold over night. Whip with a bit of vanilla.

I put finely chopped almonds, and more dumle in the middle og the cake.

The butterfly is melted chocolate, a bit of powdered sugar and coconut fat.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Made a Yellow Submarine cake for my friend's dad'd 60th birthday. I made portholes around the bottom and painted their characatures with dye and the back of the top tier has concentric circles. Chocolate cake, dark chocolate ganache filling with a chocolate buttercream. Her dad likes chocolate.

I need to figure out if cake spackle really works on my next cake, because no amount of chilling or freezing will ever get rid of that unsightly bulge. Usually I don't work with fondant so it's easier to hide...

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

paisleyfox posted:

I need to figure out if cake spackle really works on my next cake, because no amount of chilling or freezing will ever get rid of that unsightly bulge. Usually I don't work with fondant so it's easier to hide...

It seems like a really good idea. I'll have to try it next time I do a layer cake.

I made Irish Car Bomb cupcakes for St. Patrick's day. I have never received so many "best cupcake I ever had" comments before. My favorite part was the Bailey's buttercream frosting, and I've got a cup or two of it leftover. :toot:

psychotic
Dec 25, 2005
satan's deadly nutsack
heres a cake i made recently for my girlfriends birthday

my brother helped me make a roulade for the tank. theres a bit of foam board holding the cake off the main cake board, but everything else is all cake, marshmallow fondant and buttercream.
tekopp, your chocolate butterfly is really nice!

radioaktivitat
Sep 2, 2011
That truck is awesome.

I made beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees:

Sadly the yellow food colouring turned out to taste kind of...odd, which spoilt my tasty caramel buttercream icing a bit. Apparently the colourant is lutein, which is a plant pigment and allegedly important for the health of your eyesight so even if the cakes do taste a little strange, they're now effectively a health food. Only one bee has a smile cos I felt the smile made them look far too derpy, though I have some icing left so I may put smiles on them later. I'm not sure I'm entirely pleased with how they turned out, they feel like they could be(e) better somehow. Hopefully the recipient will like them though!

radioaktivitat fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 21, 2012

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Those are cute. A mix of smile, frowns and Os could work. I think what they're missing is wings. Is there something you could stick in at diagonals for wings? Maybe banana chips? Probably too thick. Big dried coconut flakes? Or just some white frosting teardrops for wings.

Kitten Kisses
Apr 2, 2007

Dancing with myself.

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Those are cute. A mix of smile, frowns and Os could work. I think what they're missing is wings. Is there something you could stick in at diagonals for wings? Maybe banana chips? Probably too thick. Big dried coconut flakes? Or just some white frosting teardrops for wings.

I was bored at work, so photoshopped up your ideas to kill some time :P

I also think they are very cute cupcakes, radioaktivitat!

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Yay, cupcakes! My niece turned one this past weekend and after some frantic texts from my (non-decorator) sister we went from:

"Demented Pokemon Thing that got Pooped onTM" - coined by my brother-in-law

to

radioaktivitat
Sep 2, 2011

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Thanks! I've got a lot of fondant left from making the stingers and eyes so maybe teardrop shapes cut out from that would work? Kitten Kisses, your photoshop has convinced me to add various smiles/frowns/Os!

I really need a decent piping bag/nozzle set if I'm going to attempt more things like the bee army; I've got a cheap plastic one but frankly it's rubbish. Any brands I should look out for/specific sets anyone could recommend? I'm in the UK, if that makes a difference.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

radioaktivitat posted:

Only one bee has a smile cos I felt the smile made them look far too derpy, though I have some icing left so I may put smiles on them later.

My boyfriend works with (bumble) bees, and let me tell you derpy is a compliment with some of them. He had one get stuck in a fake flower and had to get her out of it.

They're cute either way. :3: I wish I had some reason to make a batch up cupcakes and decorate them with derpy animals.

radioaktivitat
Sep 2, 2011
Now with wings and added derp:

Teardrop shapes proved a bit tricky to cut out consistently so in the end I used a piping nozzle as a round cutter and then just cut the icing circles in half. The wings are definitely an improvement, I think.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

radioaktivitat posted:

Teardrop shapes proved a bit tricky to cut out consistently so in the end I used a piping nozzle as a round cutter and then just cut the icing circles in half. The wings are definitely an improvement, I think.

My sister had limited tools so I did this for the mouths on the derpy fish cupcakes. I used a rolling pin on a gum drop then cut out crescent shapes with the wide end of the decorator tip.

The tiny wings on your bees work great, very cute!

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

So, I've finally gotten to the end of this, and by god it has been amazing.
I don't really have much to show at the moment, since making cake in a dirt dorm-kitchen isn't really all that tempting.

But I have this:

(Not my pic, someone in class took it)

I made it back in December, on a request from my teacher-
so we'd have something nice to end the first semester with.

Anyhow, It's a Portal Cake / Schwartzwald / Black Forest cake.
I even used one of the recipes that called for kirchwasser,
but I couldn't get ahold of any, so I condensed some cherry-wine instead. :downs:

Anyhow, it was delicious, and I found out that the white-chocolate version of that glaze is amazing.

e: I'm a game design student, so it was deemed fitting by all.

Kitten Kisses
Apr 2, 2007

Dancing with myself.

radioaktivitat posted:

Now with wings and added derp:

super cute! The wings turned out great :)

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
Basketweave is pretty:

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009
I require opinions

I'm making a cake based on this design:

(Starting early for threadcakes this year)

Should I do the photocopier in orange like in the picture, or should I go for the standard grey?

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009
This took way longer than anticipated

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007

clarabelle posted:

That's the best thing I've ever seen in my life.

The Pillowman
Jun 14, 2008

clarabelle posted:

that is so adorable...

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
Are the cats made of fondant? Now I want to make lots of cats and put them all over my cake.

What I did yesterday:

German chocolate cake batter from Rose's heavenly cakes, Swiss buttercream, marmalade, and store fondant which I didn't buy enough and don't know how to put on. But still delicious

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009

jomiel posted:

Are the cats made of fondant? Now I want to make lots of cats and put them all over my cake.

Yup. After I posted the picture on Facebook, people started calling dibs on who could eat the cats. I advised against it, they're held together with toothpicks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

The kittens are solid fondant? I thought they'd at least be fondant covered cakepops or filled with marzipan. I think rice krispies treats are also used for fondant support. How tall is the copier portion?

I saw a lady wearing that t-shirt in my restaurant this weekend and it made me think about this cake. Small world!

• Locked thread