Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

Pretentious Turtle posted:

How long has it been 10 years for

Since 1998, in Meshuggah's case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Meshuggah tunes sound like the basic framework of a song that never gets finished. It doesn't help that they take two riffs and ride them for soooooo long.

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy
I love Meshuggah but they are one of those bands you either hate or love. I'd willing to bet most of this thread hates them. I love everything they put out.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
They're bad.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

MrBling posted:

Counterpoint: Obituary.

Counterpoint: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqY5gr6Y4ho

Illumination
Jan 26, 2009

Easy Mac posted:

I love Meshuggah but they are one of those bands you either hate or love. I'd willing to bet most of this thread hates them. I love everything they put out.

Yeah you don't "get" them. You like them or you don't

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007
Anyone who says Meshuggah is bad is just foolish. The music may not appeal to you and they may have changed drastically over the years, but they are still technically proficient and a solid act to see live. I agree that it's a love/hate thing and can totally understand not liking them at all. For me, most of their stuff is pretty "meh" but I always enjoy the ride to the gems they have.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Misogynist posted:

I've been saying for years that in 10 years people will look at Meshuggah the way we look at Yngwie Malmsteen today

That music that was cool at first, but quickly got old and boring doing the same things all the time and spawned countless clones who do the same thing but worse, and a few who do their own thing while showing some influence from it.

Oh yeah! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxQZsW0H7LU

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm

Houseplant posted:

they are still technically proficient

People like to bring up technical proficiency like it means something, I'd rather listen to some guy whos been playing guitar 2 months who can put together a badass sounding riff then some guy sweep picking or whatever the gently caress for 10 minutes. Listened to one of the new Meshuggah songs and was done with my annual "hey...maybe Meshuggah ain't that bad....nope false alarm still bad"

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
There is absolutely nothing impressive about the "technicality" of Meshuggah post-Nothing, and it's been steadily downhill. Koloss is almost completely reliant on the guitarist's eighth strings to bring any kind of bite to the sound, and Tomas's drumming is straight anemic, especially compared to his modern contemporaries. Like, Danny from Intronaut destroys Tomas in technicality, songwriting, and sheer groove, but no one mentions them here. I would link to Intronaut's "Below" but I'm typing on a phone, go listen on youtube.

vanov fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 22, 2012

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Too late I already listened to the entire Intronaut discography today. Well I can do it again, I guess.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

Pretentious Turtle posted:

Too late I already listened to the entire Intronaut discography today. Well I can do it again, I guess.

Interesting how that decision is equally great both times.

Illumination
Jan 26, 2009

vanov posted:

There is absolutely nothing impressive about the "technicality" of Meshuggah post-Nothing, and it's been steadily downhill. Koloss is almost completely reliant on the guitarist's eighth strings to bring any kind of bite to the sound, and Tomas's drumming is straight anemic, especially compared to his modern contemporaries. Like, Danny from Intronaut destroys Tomas in technicality, songwriting, and sheer groove, but no one mentions them here. I would link to Intronaut's "Below" but I'm typing on a phone, go listen on youtube.

Tomas is cool because he looks like a wise old wizard

Johnny Cage
Sep 7, 2004

Doin' big things
I remember buying Destroy Erase Improve and Chaosphere back in the day and I honestly don't remember any song other than Future Breed Machine. Their songs just kind of mold together into this boring mush of generic riffs and nonsensical changes in time signature.

As a general rule of thumb you should avoid music from Sweden.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007
Well since the Swede's aren't getting any love tonight, how about the new Aura Noir and Desaster releases? I need me some black thrash and I haven't had a chance to listen to either yet. Opinions?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Johnny Cage posted:

Entombed, theory destroyed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxR4zQiSHQc

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Johnny Cage posted:

As a general rule of thumb people who think Grave, Dismember, Entombed, At The Gates and Dissection suck have bad taste in metal

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
If you don't like music from Sweden, you could always listen to dudes from Michigan singing about Thor, because Enchanter are awesome. There's not much that builds up like this song, the ending is huge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03Rfzl0cFQg

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Zodijackylite posted:

If you don't like music from Sweden, you could always listen to dudes from Michigan singing about Thor, because Enchanter are awesome. There's not much that builds up like this song, the ending is huge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03Rfzl0cFQg

Comedy option: Listening to a band named Thor sing about Thor's hammer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ip_Dt-yWbs

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Vargatron posted:

Comedy option: Listening to a band named Thor sing about Thor's hammer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ip_Dt-yWbs

Comedy option B: Swedish band writing a song about being booed in Worcester because they're bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7p9xZ74qPU

I should probably include something good and cheesy and Swedish so here's a Rocka Rollas song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ-FV3b1wSI

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Johnny Cage posted:

Now there's a probation I can get behind. gently caress you, buddy. I'm not ashamed to say I enjoy Bloodbath (among other Swedish death-ish metal outfits) a whole lot.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Johnny Cage posted:

I don't know why anyone would think this, and it seems I am not alone on it either... The Swedes are almost as good as the Japanese at music even.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

vanov posted:

Like, Danny from Intronaut destroys Tomas in technicality, songwriting, and sheer groove, but no one mentions them here. I would link to Intronaut's "Below" but I'm typing on a phone, go listen on youtube.

This post made me finally listen to Valley of Smoke last night, after having it on my computer for a long time and never hearing it. What a loving great album.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Zodijackylite posted:

Comedy option B: Swedish band writing a song about being booed in Worcester because they're bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7p9xZ74qPU

Haha I was at that show. Worcester does suck but that song has nothing to do with anything involved in the incident... :confused:

After reading the lyrics I'm glad we booed them, pack of emo fruits

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 22, 2012

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
Holy crap, nothing against Sweden and I'm glad that guy got probated. I'm glad to hear that Cpt. Spring Types!

Since Japanese metal was brought up, my experience in that area is exactly nil and I could use this thread's help with some recommendations! Beyond Intronaut I am into bands like *scrolls through iTunes* Baroness, Decapitated, Gojira, Hacride, Isis, Minsk, Mnemic, Neurosis, Scar Symmetry, Textures, and YOB, but not a whole lot else due only to pickiness/exposure.

vanov fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 22, 2012

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

vanov posted:

Holy crap, nothing against Sweden and I'm glad that guy got probated. I'm glad to hear that Cpt. Spring Types!

Since Japanese metal was brought up, my experience in that area is exactly nil and I could use this thread's help with some recommendations! Beyond Intronaut I am into bands like *scrolls through iTunes* Baroness, Decapitated, Gojira, Hacride, Isis, Minsk, Mnemic, Neurosis, Scar Symmetry, Textures, and YOB, but not a whole lot else due only to pickiness/exposure.

The slower stuff you mentioned makes me want to recommend Church of Misery or Gallhammer, and since it's Japan I'll always recommend Sigh.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

vanov posted:

My favourite Japanese band is Gotsu Totsu Kotsu:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euM0n5B2MBY

I discovered them watching this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwbgF5RwkTg

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

This post made me finally listen to Valley of Smoke last night, after having it on my computer for a long time and never hearing it. What a loving great album.

Reminded me that I hadn't picked up Valley of Smoke yet. What do you know, it's on sale on Google Music. This album kicks rear end.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Since I don't have a lot of time on my hands I can't be as in-depth as I would like in a discussion about Japanese metal, I have always been really fond of the way Japan has presented their death metal, grindcore, and goregrind. Bands like Catasexual Urge Motivation, Coffins, Flagitious Idiosyncracy In The Dilapidation, Intestine Baalism, Carcass Grinder, 324, Butcher ABC, and Bathtub Shitter are staples of my playlists. Good times.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic

vanov posted:

Since Japanese metal was brought up, my experience in that area is exactly nil and I could use this thread's help with some recommendations!

I don't know if people like to consider them metal but I'm partial to Boris myself. I imagine most people into heavy music can find at least an album or two of theirs to enjoy. Here's a couple of my favourite tracks:

Aileron
Pink
Wareruride

Also I want to throw my support behind the Intronaut love. See them live if you can, their sound was so heavy it made the air thicker.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Turk February posted:

Since I don't have a lot of time on my hands I can't be as in-depth as I would like in a discussion about Japanese metal, I have always been really fond of the way Japan has presented their death metal, grindcore, and goregrind. Bands like Catasexual Urge Motivation, Coffins, Flagitious Idiosyncracy In The Dilapidation, Intestine Baalism, Carcass Grinder, 324, Butcher ABC, and Bathtub Shitter are staples of my playlists. Good times.

I could never really get into grind type stuff, but it makes me happy that I live in a world where there are bands with names like Bathtub Shitter.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

Not Very Metal posted:

I use CM Distro, or buy straight from the record label.

Thanks!

NarkyBark posted:

Meshuggah tunes sound like the basic framework of a song that never gets finished. It doesn't help that they take two riffs and ride them for soooooo long.

Exactly. I like Meshuggah in small doses. I love their sound and there are some good riffs, but it's as though they forgot to make songs and stuff. Still, I'm gonna pay money to see them with baroness and ghost and I don't think I'll regret it.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

fuf posted:

My favourite Japanese band is Gotsu Totsu Kotsu:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euM0n5B2MBY

This is a great example of effective cookie monster vocals, because motherfucker has enthusiasm on his side. He genuinely cares about why what he's saying sounds like it's being played through speakers made of gravel, because that's the way his instrument is supposed to sound. Fortunately the rest of the band keeps up perfectly. edit: to be clear, what I am saying is this band/song rules, thank you!

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

fuf posted:

I found it interesting one of the bands talked about "Japanese spirit" as this is very relevant within Japanese hardcore, to the point it is known as "burning spirit" hardcore. Bands like Death Side, and Crow, for instance would be classified as such.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

The new Angel Witch album finally landed on my doorstep. It's not bad at all.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah, Swedes do have an alarming proficiency for metal. I mean, as much as we have good stuff here in Finland, the supposed "Promised land of Heavy Metal" (yeah, right), I'd say Sweden might still take the cake in the "holy poo poo where do all these awesome bands come from" category.

I was a bit surprised nobody mentioned Amon Amarth, but reading the last couple pages here I'd guess maybe they've gotten too "polished" for a lot of the posters here. I loving love them to bits though, Twilight of the Thunder God is one of the best albums I've heard in a goddamn lot of years.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Nordick posted:

I was a bit surprised nobody mentioned Amon Amarth, but reading the last couple pages here I'd guess maybe they've gotten too "polished" for a lot of the posters here. I loving love them to bits though, Twilight of the Thunder God is one of the best albums I've heard in a goddamn lot of years.

I think most peoples problems with Amon Amarth is that every album is the same as the last. They're too consistent, in a way. They never try anything new, though I dont have a problem with that myself since I actually enjoy what they do quite a bit.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Defiant Sally posted:

I think most peoples problems with Amon Amarth is that every album is the same as the last. They're too consistent, in a way. They never try anything new, though I dont have a problem with that myself since I actually enjoy what they do quite a bit.
Yeah, I can respect that. Although, listening to Versus the World, I'd still say they have certainly cranked the bombast and catchiness upwards on their later albums. Death in Fire certainly sounds rawer than, say, Runes to My Memory. Which of course sounds exactly the kind of change a lot of people would look down upon. Still, the changes are little enough that I think both arguments are valid.

Personally I think that as long as they keep up their level of quality, they can just keep on doing what they do indefinitely, as far as I'm concerned. Because their stuff is loving dope.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Defiant Sally posted:

I find I enjoy Amon Amarth approximately twice as much during workouts as at any other time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Dream Evil is the best Swedish heavy metal band entirely because of this song which has to be the most ridiculous metal song that isn't from a gimmick genre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qv8ZfxLxvI