Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Wow, that is a lot of outrage about Andy Pettite signing a minor-league deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
When your job and reputation can depend on being the first to break news, I can understand being a tad peeved about the largest sports media outlet not giving you credit for being first.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
It's a shame because Jack Curry is one of the few really awesome journalists and also like the nicest guy on the planet.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
Speaking of being an awesome journalist and one of the nicest guys on the planet...TJ Simers (still) is not any of those things

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

AlleyViper posted:

Speaking of being an awesome journalist and one of the nicest guys on the planet...TJ Simers (still) is not any of those things

Wow, he even takes the time to attack his own coworkers. Classy guy!

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Drunk Canuck posted:

Wow, that is a lot of outrage about Andy Pettite signing a minor-league deal.

This is something ESPN does routinely to just about everyone so it's not like this is happening in a vacuum

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
ESPN, for whatever reason, is ranking the best 500 players in baseball.

Here's the bottom 100. This will end well.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Benne posted:

ESPN, for whatever reason, is ranking the best 500 players in baseball.

Here's the bottom 100. This will end well.
thank god they put links to player twitters for everybody that has one

the magic of technology just allowed me to ask J.D. Martinez (who the gently caress is J.D. Martinez) how it feels to be the 500th-best player in major league baseball

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Raul Ibanez made the list, rankings invalidated.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I'm glad someone out there is making sure we know that Randy Wells is slightly better than AJ Burnett.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
no for real who the gently caress is J.D. Martinez, I never even loving heard of this guy

e: apparently he was called up from AA by the Astros after they traded Hunter Pence, and played half a season of league-average baseball. Pretty much the entire Astros roster is a mix between "LOL THAT DUDE?" and "who the gently caress is that dude?" so it is entirely unsurprising that I did not know who he is.

e2: since the active rosters of every major league team total 750 players, this means that ESPN thinks that a generic 23-year-old outfielder is better than a full third of major league baseball right now

Moe_Rahn fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 20, 2012

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

Moe_Rahn posted:

no for real who the gently caress is J.D. Martinez, I never even loving heard of this guy

Apparently some dude who likes to puke when working out.

isnt that right
Dec 8, 2009

Why am I just now finding out that Bruce Chen's twitter name is ChenMusic?

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
JD Martinez is a right field prospect for the Astros who was brought up last season slightly before they promoted the entire AA/AAA team at once.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

That post has "I have 20 minutes left in the day and my boss is sitting right near me so I can't just dick around on Facebook like usual" written all over it.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 20, 2012

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

dog poop n doritos posted:

Why am I just now finding out that Bruce Chen's twitter name is ChenMusic?

"Dude, all these jokes are great! Keep them coming! Tweeter is the best!"

yes, bruce chen. yes, tweeter is indeed the best.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.
MLB Network did their 100 best players going into 2012 or their 2012 draft board or something like that and David Freese was in the 60s.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Here's part 2 of the 500 list.

I love that Hong-Chih Kuo, the guy that just got released after putting up an ERA of like 40, is the 367th best player in baseball.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

I really like that in a sport where there are 1200 players combined from each team's 40-man roster, they feel the need to point out the top 500 of those. Even with changes to 40-man rosters over the course of the season, they're highlighting about 40% of all baseball players. Why even bother?

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

chutwig posted:

I really like that in a sport where there are 1200 players combined from each team's 40-man roster, they feel the need to point out the top 500 of those. Even with changes to 40-man rosters over the course of the season, they're highlighting about 40% of all baseball players. Why even bother?

It's even better if you think about it as a percentage of 25-man rosters. "Wow, you're in the top 2/3 of MLB players!"

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

chutwig posted:

They did 500 for the NBA, as well. Seems like it's just an arbitrary number they settled on that wouldn't be too unmanageable.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
I promised myself I wouldn't nitpick a silly thing like that but they have Kevin Correia ranked above Joe Blanton and Freddy Garcia and they want people to take it serious?

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Benne posted:

Here's part 2 of the 500 list.

I love that Hong-Chih Kuo, the guy that just got released after putting up an ERA of like 40, is the 367th best player in baseball.

From 2008-2010, Kuo was loving phenomenal. Approaching Mariano Rivera level reliever quality. He was terrible last year in < 30 innings, but that is not the first thing that stands out to me on this dumb list.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

leokitty posted:

I promised myself I wouldn't nitpick a silly thing like that but they have Kevin Correia ranked above Joe Blanton and Freddy Garcia and they want people to take it serious?

Um have you seen Kevin Correia's spring ERA???

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

morestuff posted:

They did 500 for the NBA, as well. Seems like it's just an arbitrary number they settled on that wouldn't be too unmanageable.

There's not even 500 NBA players on active rosters :psyduck:

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Jackie D posted:

There's not even 500 NBA players on active rosters :psyduck:

They included free agents and D-League guys.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

leokitty posted:

and they want people to take it serious?

I have found your issue.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

magazines always do dumb arbitrary lists because it's a guaranteed nerd argument honeytrap.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Here's Jeff Sullivan's take on the Dinger Machine.

Not much that we didn't already know, but I'm fascinated to see how this plays out in the regular season.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I stopped reading in protest as soon as I saw the words "big ugly thing"

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
There has never been a home run hit to right field at Petco Park ever? Is this some kind of sarcasm or do they mean the power alley or something? I know the place is big but goddamn.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

I'm more interested in articles that discuss the massive scam job the Marlins pulled to get that stadium financed. Did the SEC investigation finish yet?

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

haljordan posted:

I'm more interested in articles that discuss the massive scam job the Marlins pulled to get that stadium financed. Did the SEC investigation finish yet?

Not that I have found. The vast majority of information on the subject is still the original articles posted back in December when the investigation was announced. I'm sure, given the massive incompetence and corruption of the SEC, either nothing will be found or it'll be buried quietly and forgotten.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

ElwoodCuse posted:

There has never been a home run hit to right field at Petco Park ever? Is this some kind of sarcasm or do they mean the power alley or something? I know the place is big but goddamn.

You must not read much Sullivan.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

ElwoodCuse posted:

http://www.hittrackeronline.com/detail.php?id=2011_3365&type=ballpark

That's just last year. Looks like the right field power alley doesn't get much love, but even a couple made it out that way.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Pvt. Public posted:

Not that I have found. The vast majority of information on the subject is still the original articles posted back in December when the investigation was announced. I'm sure, given the massive incompetence and corruption of the SEC, either nothing will be found or it'll be buried quietly and forgotten.

Figures. I really hate how most modern sports stadiums are financed. The public usually ends up getting reamed hard, and no one with any authority seems to give much of a poo poo.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Adrian Gonzalez played there for 5 years. I think he managed to get at least one over the wall.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

haljordan posted:

Figures. I really hate how most modern sports stadiums are financed. The public usually ends up getting reamed hard, and no one with any authority seems to give much of a poo poo.

Truthfully speaking, this applies to everything in the modern world. When financial "instruments" became the driving force of capital gains and the new way to generate money out of thin air, it was just one more rotation on the spit for the public. Leveraged financing based on future values by assuming a constant increase in those values (of property or whatever) is one of the prime reasons the world is so poo poo right now. Though it is only a new coat of paint on that old chestnut that is rich getting richer via position and influence manipulation.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Pvt. Public posted:

Truthfully speaking, this applies to everything in the modern world. When financial "instruments" became the driving force of capital gains and the new way to generate money out of thin air, it was just one more rotation on the spit for the public. Leveraged financing based on future values by assuming a constant increase in those values (of property or whatever) is one of the prime reasons the world is so poo poo right now. Though it is only a new coat of paint on that old chestnut that is rich getting richer via position and influence manipulation.

I'm just annoyed by the fact that anytime a state government tries to get the team owners to pony up more cash themselves, they piss and moan about the amounts of revenue/jobs/etc. created by the stadium (using figures that are usually grossly inflated or incredibly overoptimistic).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

haljordan posted:

I'm just annoyed by the fact that anytime a state government tries to get the team business owners to pony up more cash themselves taxes, they piss and moan about the amounts of revenue/jobs/etc. created by the stadium business (using figures that are usually grossly inflated or incredibly overoptimistic).

As Pvt. Public said, it's really just a facet of how incredibly hosed the relationship is between big business and the public.