Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
I signed up for the chili cookoff at work. I will not let you down, GWS.

Except there's a small part of me that wants to bring a crockpot of Hormel Chili...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Charmmi posted:

Except there's a small part of me that wants to bring a crockpot of Hormel Chili...

Psh, everyone knows the real deal is Stagg chili with cubes of Velveeta.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Charmmi posted:

Wolf chili is the way to go.

breakfall87
Apr 22, 2004
ABunch7587's little bitch
To all you babies talking about confit garlic killing you, you will be fine. I'll pick up a gallon of peeled garlic at a time, dump it into plain ol' canola oil, cover it in foil, and throw it into an oven at 300 until most of the garlic starts to float. You want about twice as much oil as garlic by volume. Once at least a quarter start to float, pull it out of the oven and they will finish cooking as they sit.

As long as the garlic is submerged in the oil, they won't go bad. I wouldn't waste using good oil on it, the oil you use becomes awesome garlic oil, and as mentioned earlier, you lose the nuances of good oil, and it's just really not cost effective.

You shouldn't worry about it going bad because it needs to used in just about every dish you make since it is just that good.

A Gremlin Eel
Jun 29, 2006

Well, it was a nice idea while it lasted, I suppose.

pnumoman posted:

Psh, everyone knows the real deal is Stagg chili with cubes of Velveeta.

Post recipe or GTFO

A Gremlin Eel
Jun 29, 2006

Well, it was a nice idea while it lasted, I suppose.
Also, here's what the government of Canada (It's a real country) has to say about garlic in oil:

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hl-vs/iyh-vsv/food-aliment/garlic-ail-eng.php

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

dino. posted:

I stopped drinking on weekdays, because it was starting to get expensive. I realised yesterday that I haven't bought a bottle of liquor in a couple of months. This means that with all this extra money lying around I was able to go nuts and splurge on some frozen berries and such for smoothies this morning. You barely need any at all to give the smoothie lots of the taste, and the bananas are relatively cheap anyway. The taste difference between the frozen berries and the godsawful out of season ones is huge. The excitement I got from buying them, and the enjoyment I'm getting from drinking the smoothie this morning was well worth the creeping sobriety.

Yes. I have officially become An Old Person. I felt so indulgent and naughty for spending around $20 on frozen berries. But /man/ did it feel good.
Did it feel...fabulous?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

A Gremlin Eel posted:

Also, here's what the government of Canada (It's a real country) has to say about garlic in oil:

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hl-vs/iyh-vsv/food-aliment/garlic-ail-eng.php

I like that they refer to garlic in oil as "Garlic-In-Oil™"

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

therattle posted:

Did it feel...fabulous?
It did! It kept me feeling satiated for hours. I'm still not hungry-hungry, and I had that smoothie thing early in the morning. Here's to masses of fibre and complex carbohydrates!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

dino. posted:

It did! It kept me feeling satiated for hours. I'm still not hungry-hungry, and I had that smoothie thing early in the morning. Here's to masses of fibre and complex carbohydrates!
Did you have oats in it? Oats porridge keeps me full for much longer than toast does.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

therattle posted:

Did you have oats in it? Oats porridge keeps me full for much longer than toast does.

I've tried this oats-in-smoothies thing, and maybe it's my blender or something, but it never gets smooth enough. If you have lumps in your smoothie, it shoulds be fruit and not grains, so I tend to leave them out.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I am so loving excited right now :dance: because this place apparently just opened a little ways away from where I work. It is supposed to be fantastic. http://chinapastahouse.com/China_Pasta_House/menu.html

There is a decent chance I will bring home like $80 worth of buns, dumplings and noodles and not be able to eat it all in one sitting and slip into a good-Chinese-food induced coma surrounded by cooling steamed buns.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I like turtles posted:

I am so loving excited right now :dance: because this place apparently just opened a little ways away from where I work. It is supposed to be fantastic. http://chinapastahouse.com/China_Pasta_House/menu.html

There is a decent chance I will bring home like $80 worth of buns, dumplings and noodles and not be able to eat it all in one sitting and slip into a good-Chinese-food induced coma surrounded by cooling steamed buns.

holy cheapness. that's awesome, hope that it's actually good. I could live off of preserved egg and pork gruel for an embarrassingly long time.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I think my roommate and fiancee would kill me if I went there first without them, but I will definitely report back when we get a chance to go

I really like that I can just stick the chinese text into google and get an idea of what exactly the dish is easily. Oh internet :allears:

They said I can go, will see if they're as good as I'm hoping, woo.

I like turtles fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 23, 2012

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

therattle posted:

I put in a few strawberries, some blueberries, a knob (heh) of ginger, a handful of oats, a banana, and some orange juice, then gave it a whiz. Then, I added some ice, and crunched that lot down too. It came out like a sorbet, it was so pretty. And it was hella filling, even though it didn't weigh me down.

I'm thankful for you guys for assuaging my guilt with buying frozen food. It's nice to have a treat like that which makes me feel good, and is good for me. And OK, it was a little pricey, but for like 5 days worth of smoothies that comfortably fill up two GIANT mugs for me AND Puppy, I'd say that's worth the money. And my local store carries it, so if I run out, I can just pop over and get more. :)

I'm excited for Summer so that I can buy other fruit, and freeze it on my own. Although the strawberries were extremely delicious, $3/lb seems like a lot of money for me. It's an affordable luxury, but I'd like to maybe see if I can get it cheaper.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

I like turtles posted:

That place looks amazing. Although for a place called China Pasta House I expected a Chinese/Italian fusion bistro?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Nyc goons, any leads on natural casing for sausages?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Oooh lordy that place owns. Got a bunch of food to try and leave the rest for roommate and fiancee, including:
Mushroom bun (awesome)
Pork and chinese cabbage bun (ok)
Fried leek dumplings (Very tasty, filling a new one to me. Basically an empanada filled with chopped chinese leeks)
Pork noodles (goddamn, five spice broth, fresh noodles, some cilantro, mushrooms and roasted pork belly)
The pork and preserved egg congee (good, way better than the congee I had in Vegas which cost five times as much and didn't have anything in it. Not decided on the preserved egg, first time trying it)
Tea egg (holy loving poo poo where have these been all of my life I feel like doing a chinese food version of cool hand luke oh my god. They're 50c a piece.)
Pork steamed buns (Pork har gao. Tasty, the sauce was really good too. Don't know my chinese sauce flavors well enough to even begin deconstructing it.)

I also bought a few things specifically for my other householders, including another tea egg which I am contemplating stealing, a crispy sugar cake and a char siu bun.

Food as far as the eye can see, and with a generous tip it was just over $30.

I like turtles fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 23, 2012

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I like turtles posted:

Pork steamed buns (Pork har gao. Tasty, the sauce was really good too. Don't know my chinese sauce flavors well enough to even begin deconstructing it.)

har gao is not a bun. :colbert: I think you mean char siu bao. :)

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

What says GWS on leaving eggs on the counter? They're rinsed, but fresh from the chicken butt. My mom is all "jesus you're gonna die", but I've always left fresh eggs out.

Who is right?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

har gao is not a bun. :colbert: I think you mean char siu bao. :)

Eh, they were called "buns" on the English portion of the menu, but they were clearly har gao. I can't read pinyin so I'm not sure what they have down as the actual name. The menu is a little disorganized. The char siu bao I got for the roommate is pretty good too. I feel like I could grab a couple of buns for $1.50 each and be very happy for lunch.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Casu Marzu posted:

What says GWS on leaving eggs on the counter? They're rinsed, but fresh from the chicken butt. My mom is all "jesus you're gonna die", but I've always left fresh eggs out.

Who is right?
Eggs will last longer in the fridge, but they're pretty much designed to be left out for weeks at a time without spoiling. Otherwise they wouldn't really work as eggs from the chicken's point of view.

And if you don't wash off the cuticle those things will last for loving ever.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

Who is right?

Shouldn't have rinsed them, but if you eat them soon they're fine. In the fridge they'd last a month or more easily.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Shouldn't have rinsed them, but if you eat them soon they're fine. In the fridge they'd last a month or more easily.

Are we talking a couple days soon or a week soon?

Edit: and yeah, didn't have a choice, they came to me rinsed.

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

where da white womens at?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Oh I'm sorry, but you have No Say on the topic of eggs right now, jerk.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

I like turtles posted:

Eh, they were called "buns" on the English portion of the menu, but they were clearly har gao. I can't read pinyin so I'm not sure what they have down as the actual name. The menu is a little disorganized. The char siu bao I got for the roommate is pretty good too. I feel like I could grab a couple of buns for $1.50 each and be very happy for lunch.

The menu posted calls them 猪肉小笼包, so steamed dumplings not buns. I don't know Cantonese, so I have no idea whether they qualify as har gao (漢子?) or not.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
That's pork xiaolongbao.

Hargao literally means shrimp dumpling. Its pork counterpart would be a shumai, but what you ate was shanghai pork soup dumpling

English on Chinese menus often don't make sense because they're written by FOBs

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Mar 23, 2012

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Vegetable Melange posted:

Have you tried Zabar's? They're pretty good at taking requests.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

I like turtles posted:

Tea egg (holy loving poo poo where have these been all of my life I feel like doing a chinese food version of cool hand luke oh my god. They're 50c a piece.)

Did these come peeled already? Were they sliced? Was it an egg by itself or served as a side to accompany something? Were there pictures? If there weren't you should go back and take pictures.

I want a place like that here, in my most fantastical daydreams it's what we turn Chin's Cafe into.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

Los Paisano's on smith street in cobble hill will have them (and everything else under the sun)

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Halalelujah posted:

Los Paisano's on smith street in cobble hill will have them (and everything else under the sun)

Yeah, I'm trying to find one that will coincide with my going to the greenmarket for a pork. You working tonight?

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Yeah, I got sent to Orlando, hopefully I will be back tomorrow, not terribly pleased ATM due to an old friend coming into town...who will now be staying at my place alone.

Sucks.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

And the worst part? ORLANDO.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Casu Marzu posted:

Who is right?

I always leave them on the counter. I have very very rarely had an egg go off. If you are concerned give it a shake. If you hear a sloshing sound, it's gone off.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

therattle posted:

I always leave them on the counter. I have very very rarely had an egg go off. If you are concerned give it a shake. If you hear a sloshing sound, it's gone off.

Yeah you can keep fresh eggs out for awhile. My parents never refrigerated them back in China. They do now though, something about them not trusting the eggs from the supermarket.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

I like turtles posted:

Interesting. I wonder why 花卷 (Hanamaki) is listed with a Japanese name.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

I just made my first mustard, and I think I did it wrong. Ground organic yellow mustard, salt, whole wheat flour, belgan blonde wheat ale to incorporate. It tastes a little floury, so I popped in some smoked paprika to balance it out. Dijon it's not, but it's mustard. Tips?

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

I just made my first mustard, and I think I did it wrong. Ground organic yellow mustard, salt, whole wheat flour, belgan blonde wheat ale to incorporate. It tastes a little floury, so I popped in some smoked paprika to balance it out. Dijon it's not, but it's mustard. Tips?

I'd skip the flour altogether and use mustard powder instead. It may be "cheating", but it won't taste floury. I'd also suggest an acid of some kind. Sherry vinegar perhaps.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've never heard of using flour in mustard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Well, mustard flour, but that's not really flour.