Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Starting to get into whiskey a bit. Never much of a liquor drinker, really a beer drinker, but a friend left part of a bottle of Four Roses (just the basic kind). That bottle's done and bourbon started to grow on me, so I checked out this thread and picked up a bottle of Evan Williams (now I realize the OP is talking about the 1783 and not the Black label which is what I bought, oh well).

Do you guys drink it with ice or not? Ice certainly helps mitigate the burn going down, but seems to kill some of the flavor.

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizard sticks
Feb 16, 2005
I've got a decent collection (I think) so far for a beginning into whiskeys:

Glenfiddich 12
Glenlivet 12
Bowmore Islay Surf Single Malt
Highland Park 12
Glenmorangie 18 'Extremely Rare'
10s of bottles of Jamieson, Forty Creek, Canadian Club, etc.

While I can understand some of the differences between all 5 types, I don't feel like my palette is good enough to distinguish what is going into eat whiskey (eg. caramel, fruits, nuts, etc). How can I teach my palette to be more precise? What is the precise way to 'taste' a whiskey anyways? I've just been sipping it and letting it sit on my tongue, but I find that some of the alcohol taste is overpowering the other tastes.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

wizard sticks posted:

Glenfiddich 12
Glenlivet 12
Highland Park 12

While I can understand some of the differences between all 5 types, I don't feel like my palette is good enough to distinguish what is going into eat whiskey (eg. caramel, fruits, nuts, etc). How can I teach my palette to be more precise? What is the precise way to 'taste' a whiskey anyways? I've just been sipping it and letting it sit on my tongue, but I find that some of the alcohol taste is overpowering the other tastes.

You've got some pretty good stuff there. As a beginner it can be difficult to really pick out the nuances of whisky. A lot of it has to becoming acclimated to the burn of the alcohol. If you really want to appreciate the flavor you should drink it neat with a bit of water (a few drops to about a teaspoon), move it around and let it breathe for a few minutes. Add a little ice if you feel like the flavor is too overwhelming.

I haven't tried the Bowmore or the Glenmorangie yet, but I'd be willing to bet even a whiskey newbie would be able to taste the differences between Glenlivet 12 (citrus-y, sour apple nose, quick finish) and Highland Park 12 (more sweet, honey and lavender flavors). If you want something that's a completely different flavor than all of those there (and I guarantee you'd be able to tell the difference), try an Islay whisky - Laphroaig Quarter Cask being my personal favorite. The smoke will knock your socks off.

Really, there's no wrong way to drink scotch whisky (except maybe with a coke mixer), and you should take it at your own pace, let your palette develop and enjoy your growth as a whisky drinker.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

wizard sticks posted:

Glenfiddich 12
Glenlivet 12
Highland Park 12

A good way to develop your palate, aside from drinking and reading reviews, is to sit down and actually taste the foods that people use to refer to whiskey/wine/beer/etc. Actually sit and savor an almond, a bit of honey, a piece of quality caramel, stone fruits like plums and cherries, red fruits like raspberries and cranberries, dried fruits like raisins or prunes. Take in the nuances of a good vanilla extract or bean, the richness of a small bit of melted butter (this, I admit, may be pushing it), the smell of freshly mowed grass.

As you're tasting or smelling these things, think back to the whiskey you've tried in the past and try to place the flavors. Notice that some have a stronger vanilla or caramel flavor than others. Some are way more buttery than others. One may have stone fruit or red fruit flavors separately, while another might have both, and that you can actually distinguish them. Here's a cool "flavor wheel" to jog your brain of the words you want to use to describe whiskey, but can't think of it off the top of your head.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

Tigren posted:

A good way to develop your palate, aside from drinking and reading reviews, is to sit down and actually taste the foods that people use to refer to whiskey/wine/beer/etc. Actually sit and savor an almond, a bit of honey, a piece of quality caramel, stone fruits like plums and cherries, red fruits like raspberries and cranberries, dried fruits like raisins or prunes. Take in the nuances of a good vanilla extract or bean, the richness of a small bit of melted butter (this, I admit, may be pushing it), the smell of freshly mowed grass.

As you're tasting or smelling these things, think back to the whiskey you've tried in the past and try to place the flavors. Notice that some have a stronger vanilla or caramel flavor than others. Some are way more buttery than others. One may have stone fruit or red fruit flavors separately, while another might have both, and that you can actually distinguish them. Here's a cool "flavor wheel" to jog your brain of the words you want to use to describe whiskey, but can't think of it off the top of your head.

That is a cool wheel but I saw this

quote:

Fruity- Solvent: Nail polish remover

:gonk:

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

DrPain posted:

Acetone, the main ingredient in nail polish remover, has a faintly fruity odor to it. Go waft a bit towards your nose.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

DrPain posted:

Not whiskey, but a while back I tried a pinotage wine from South Africa. It tasted like driving through asphalt-laying. I looked it up online and "hot tar or asphalt" is a characteristic flavor of that grape. WTF.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Tigren posted:

Acetone, the main ingredient in nail polish remover, has a faintly fruity odor to it. Go waft a bit towards your nose.
That's what all vodka tastes like to me.

cyberpunksurvivor
Dec 29, 2011

I am opposed to homosexuality for political reasons
Can anybody recommend me a good Irish Whiskey? The only one I've had is Jameson. I'm used to Patron and Cazadores tequila: it's a quick burn. Irish Whiskey, on the other hand, is a slow burn. Not that it's a bad thing: I enjoy the slow burn. Does all good whiskey burn slow?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

cyberpunksurvivor posted:

Can anybody recommend me a good Irish Whiskey? The only one I've had is Jameson. I'm used to Patron and Cazadores tequila: it's a quick burn. Irish Whiskey, on the other hand, is a slow burn. Not that it's a bad thing: I enjoy the slow burn. Does all good whiskey burn slow?

Jameson 12 year reserve is pretty good, albeit mellow. Redbreast 12 is also very good.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Also if you're looking on the more inexpensive side I've had excellent results with John Powers.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

cyberpunksurvivor posted:

Tullimore Dew is a little bit smoother and at about the same price range.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Kenning posted:

I am firmly opposed to muddled anything being in an Old Fashioned. If you want orange flavor, use orange bitters or a finish with a twist. If you want cherry flavor, drink something else. An Old Fashioned is cold, bracing, and simple. It *definitely* shouldn't have particles in it from muddling a bunch of fruit in there.

You could muddle some zest to better extract the oils if you don't have orange bitters, but I agree with this in general.

edit: Wow, didn't realize this was last page.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Tullimore Dew is a little bit smoother and at about the same price range.

I'm not familiar with Tullamore, but in my experience the entry level Jameson and Bushmills are only suitable for mixing. If you want decent (widely available) Irish start with Bushmills Black or Jameson 12.

I've heard Powers is also quite good, but at least in Ontario it isn't incredibly common in bars.

wizard sticks
Feb 16, 2005

Jetfire posted:

I'm not familiar with Tullamore, but in my experience the entry level Jameson and Bushmills are only suitable for mixing. If you want decent (widely available) Irish start with Bushmills Black or Jameson 12.

I've heard Powers is also quite good, but at least in Ontario it isn't incredibly common in bars.

What about Bushmills 10?

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-2834.aspx

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

I don't know how easy it is to find, but Clontarf Single Malt and Redbreast 12 are my two favorite Irish whiskeys.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

wizard sticks posted:

What about Bushmills 10?

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-2834.aspx

Bushmills 10 is also nice, in my experience. It's usually a smidge pricier than BBlack.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I feel like I'm missing something really obvious, but every time I pour some Bulleit, a little bit drips out the side. Is there a way to prevent this? I keep a rag on hand to wipe down the bottle but it's really annoying and I don't have this problem with other bottles.

SnoPuppy
Jun 15, 2005
Has anyone tried Bruichladdich Octomore?

I prefer smoky/peaty whisky, like the various Lagavulin and Laphroaig offerings, so I picked up a bottle of Octomore 2.1 this past Christmas. I had intended to have it with some out of state friends for New Years, but ended up leaving it at my apartment (gave me an excuse to pick up a bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail to share instead).

I've been holding on to it since then, waiting for an occasion that would be worthy. I just want to make sure that I'm not waiting in vain.

Any thoughts? Should I just go ahead and crack into it? Or keep saving it for a nebulous, TBD, special occasion?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I found it to be more interesting than necessarily enjoyable. It's a whisky you drink to explore what levels peat can be brought to in whisky. Not to kick back relax and have a nice dram.

If you save it for a special occasion you might be disappointed.

This is just my own opinion of course.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I'd agree with spankmeister. There seemed to be a silly little game being played by Bruichladdich and Ardbeg recently where they'd run some of their newmake or whisky through a gas chromatograph and announce "The Peatiest Whisky Ever" with x+1 ppm of phenols.

I've tried some Octomore (can't remember which release) and also some of the Ardbeg Supernova. I'd say there are many better whiskies released by Bruichladdich & Ardbeg respectively.

It's a gimmick whisky really. Young, one-dimensional and expensive. It'll be an interesting dram but probably not a great one.

Gregorio
Aug 9, 2010

SnoPuppy posted:

Has anyone tried Bruichladdich Octomore?

I prefer smoky/peaty whisky, like the various Lagavulin and Laphroaig offerings, so I picked up a bottle of Octomore 2.1 this past Christmas. I had intended to have it with some out of state friends for New Years, but ended up leaving it at my apartment (gave me an excuse to pick up a bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail to share instead).

I've been holding on to it since then, waiting for an occasion that would be worthy. I just want to make sure that I'm not waiting in vain.

Any thoughts? Should I just go ahead and crack into it? Or keep saving it for a nebulous, TBD, special occasion?

I agree with the other two but for a different reason:
Don't save anything, there is always more whisky to find and enjoy :) Drink!

Sounds like you're not struggling to find and purchase nice bottles (Octomore then the oogie) so just drink everything :)

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

I talked to Cask in SF about Old Potrero, they said they only get a few bottles a year and there's a "rather long waiting list." Well poo poo. I was hoping I'd be able to find a bottle while I'm in SF but it's not looking good.

alariens421
Dec 17, 2009
I got my first bottle of Elijah Craig 12 recently. Very tasty stuff.

Usually I go for Scotch, but I'm starting to drink more bourbon. Are there any other good $30-40 bourbons I should keep an eye out for? I just found a new liquor store with a huge whiskey selection and I always like to try new things.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

alariens421 posted:

I got my first bottle of Elijah Craig 12 recently. Very tasty stuff.

Usually I go for Scotch, but I'm starting to drink more bourbon. Are there any other good $30-40 bourbons I should keep an eye out for? I just found a new liquor store with a huge whiskey selection and I always like to try new things.

I've been really impressed with Wild Turkey Rare Breed. It's got a lot of character and smoothness. Definitely a go-to if I'm not doing scotch. Also you might consider Four Roses Single Barrel. I haven't tried it, but it seems to get a lot of love around here.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I'm off down to Whisky Live in London in an hour or so.

I'm sure there'll be plenty of interesting drams to try.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Booked in for Whiskey Live Sydney in August. Let me know how it goes.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Booked in for Whiskey Live Sydney in August. Let me know how it goes.

Was good, I'm a bit pished but came home with a Glengoyne 21 & a Longrow 14. Happy days.

biglads fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 24, 2012

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

$40. Bottled in 2010 = 14yo. Love me some scotch :cheers:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

TenaciousTomato posted:

$40. Bottled in 2010 = 14yo. Love me some scotch :cheers:

It doesn't work like that, whisky stops aging once it's in the bottle (unlike beer or wine) so that's a 12YO like it says on the label.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

spankmeister posted:

It doesn't work like that, whisky stops aging once it's in the bottle (unlike beer or wine) so that's a 12YO like it says on the label.

Shieeeeet. That sucks!

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

biglads posted:

Was good, I'm a bit pished but came home with a Glengoyne 21 & a Longrow 14. Happy days.

Anything stand out in the tastings?

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

Aberlour A'Bunadh Batch 38
As I understand there isn't a huge amount of variation between batches but what do I know having only tried this one. The A'Bunadh is reasonably priced and in my opinion qualitywise completely equal to for example a Glenlivet 16yo Nadurra which is also a cask strength in the same price range (although not at all similar). The whisky is finished in Oloroso sherry casks which shows as both the telltale dark brown-reddish colour and the plums, dates and overall sweetness of the nose and palate. Due to this sweetness and the long, long aftertaste that masks well the fact the bottle is 60,3% strong, this stuff is great with desserts. Not a subtle or watery experience.

Caol Ila Elements of Islay3
The 3rd Elements bottling from this distillery is very smoky. A friend said he nosed canned peaches in it, but I can only detect a vague fruitiness and a more pungent sweet aroma I can't place. Raisins? The taste is pungent and sooty as is to be expected, but not acrid or bland, just a well placed bundle of delightfully strong peat and a very dry aftertaste. Not a far cry from the blend of Islay whisky from various distilleries going under the name Big Peat, but with less seaweed/algae in the nose and much less water in the taste, both improvements over BP.

Laphroaigh Quarter Cask
the Quarter Cask boasts a production method of second maturation of the whisky in casks much smaller than regular size ones. What it claims to be is a "recreation of the practices of a bygone era" in order to "create the perfect marriage of peat and oak". What it is is an appalling bottle of smoked piss with notes of fresh sawn board and tar with all the subtlety of a wet fish in the face. The medicinal iodine smell of Laphroaigh is muted under the smoke, smoke, more smoke and wet wood. The nose is closed tight and stays that way, and the taste which itself is not particularly bad but also not a match for even the regular 10yo devolves into a horrifically lingering tarry aftertaste, as if drinking something someone put out a cigarette in. After this experience I'll stick with the Laphroaigh 18 and 10, and will forget trying the other gimmick bottling, Triple Wood.

Ardbeg Corryvreckan
Here's another less usual whisky, this time one that does it quite right. The Corryvreckan is as super aromatic as any other Ardbeg (leave a couple of empty glasses in a room and come back in a while if you don't know what I mean) with a smell of overripe citrus and something vaguely baconish. Instead of the warmer tones of the 10yo and the absolutely fabulous Uigeadail, the Corryvreckan's palate trick is salt. Properly named after a whirlpool north of Islay, the Corry is a taste of peaty seawater but in a good way. I don't quite remember another whisky which would be as harshly saline and to be sure I wouldn't recommend this to just anyone - only for those looking for a very curious but inarguably excellent bottle. The Corry is unfortunately priced well above the aforementioned Uigeadail which is all around a better whisky, no contest, so recommending Corry is slightly difficult for me although I do appreciate its unique character very much.

Gregorio
Aug 9, 2010

biglads posted:

Is that Glengoyne the OB? I have that, picked it up in Melbourne last year. Yet to open though.

Also, Whorebags, I will be at Whisky Live Syd too :)

Nice write up Deleuzionist :cheers:

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

The Glengoyne is the OB.

There weren't that many unusual bottles to sample from, the 2 most interesting ones I found were a Port finished Glen Moray and a 'about 3 days short from 8y/o' Kilkerran. If I'd have got round to the BBR or the Compass Box stands, there might have been a bit more interesting selection there.

The vast majority of drams there were OB's, perfectly fine but it's nicer to see a bit more variety. Single Cask releases, 'Manager's Dram', just stuff that's a bit rarer/unusual.

Having done both over most of the past few years, I reckon that The Whisky Show (http://www.whisky-show.com/whisky-show-2012) is better. There's a bigger selection, more exhibitors and no voucher system there. Diageo display at both (as you'd expect), at Whisky Live yesterday they had all of the Distillers Editions and the Caol Ila Moch. Not bad but when you consider all the stuff they have, a bit light. At the last Whisky Show, Diageo were there with Brora 30, Talisker 30, Glen Spey 31, 8th Release Port Ellen etc. etc. AND they free poured them.

biglads fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Mar 25, 2012

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Deleuzionist posted:

Laphroaigh Quarter Cask
the Quarter Cask boasts a production method of second maturation of the whisky in casks much smaller than regular size ones. What it claims to be is a "recreation of the practices of a bygone era" in order to "create the perfect marriage of peat and oak". What it is is an appalling bottle of smoked piss with notes of fresh sawn board and tar with all the subtlety of a wet fish in the face. The medicinal iodine smell of Laphroaigh is muted under the smoke, smoke, more smoke and wet wood. The nose is closed tight and stays that way, and the taste which itself is not particularly bad but also not a match for even the regular 10yo devolves into a horrifically lingering tarry aftertaste, as if drinking something someone put out a cigarette in. After this experience I'll stick with the Laphroaigh 18 and 10, and will forget trying the other gimmick bottling, Triple Wood.

I just bought a bottle of this yesterday too, because I love Laphroaig and thought this may be even better. Well, it's pretty goddamned intense.

I also got a bottle of this, yum yum:

Gregorio
Aug 9, 2010

AWWNAW posted:

I just bought a bottle of this yesterday too, because I love Laphroaig and thought this may be even better. Well, it's pretty goddamned intense.

I'm not such an Islay fan but I saw the Laphroaig Triple Wood in the shops and did a quick lookup to see if it's still decent, it's on 86 from the Malt Maniacs.

My question is though, is it less intense or more? I thought using multiple casks (like Auchentoshan Triple Wood) diluted the flavours but does it just depend on your source material? Anyone tried it themselves?

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

AWWNAW posted:

I think the QC's unfortunate characteristics come out best when there's more than just QC on the table. I've drank it aside glasses of Talisker 57°, Laph 18, Lagavulin 16 and the ones mentioned in the above post and the QC just isn't playing in the same league. There's a ton of soot flavour in there but it lacks all finesse and balance, almost as if it were a cask strength blended whiskey without any care paid to the blending process.

How's that 10yo rye? Not into ryes but could spare to try something delicious.

Hudlinkin
Dec 31, 2007
Seen it mentioned a few times in this thread, but I'd just like to throw in another recommendation for Templeton Rye. Managed to find a liquor store in Binghamton NY that sells it and it's really good. Never been a huge Rye fan, but I could go for more of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gsroppsa
Oct 29, 2005

Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick

Gregorio posted:

Whisky Live Sydney

Tell me more about this Whisky Live Sydney. Google search didn't really turn up that much detail, and $85 is a bit steep for me to just punt and hope for the best. Is it a decent turnout, with a good selection of tastings?