Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill
I'll update for anyone who's interested: I ended up buying a Razer Deathadder. It's ever so slightly shorter than my 3.0, and a little bit higher. Nothing I mind very much after having used it for 3-4 hours. I had to download the Razer drivers to turn off the blue logo pulsating (and it looks quite good after doing that, I must say!) & adjust DPI and such, but in general I'm quite pleased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
I owned a Xai not too long ago and exchanged it for a Sensei. The latter is a far better mouse. The scroll wheel is miles better and doesn't rattle. Adjustible lift off distance rules. The sensor doesn't spaz out on cloth pads like it does with the Xai. Xai was so bad on a QcK mini and QcK mass that I ended up buying a 9HD just to stop it jittering all over the place (it works great with a 9HD but the rough surface wears out the mouse skates quick and I never liked the feel of hard mouse pads). Also I can have the Sensei plugged in when I turn on my Dell XPS8100 computer without losing keyboard control (no f5/f8!) because it doesn't suffer from the same UEFI bios problems.

The only beef I have with the Sensei is that the satin finished top collects grease and dead skin like crazy. I need to wipe it down every other day and I'm not a minger with mucky paws.

Sensei left/right click is slightly firmer than on the Xai but still not as firm as a Deathadder. I like Xai left/right click the most and I like the matte rubberized top. I still find Deathadder's left click a little bone shattering but you get used to it.

It has a similar basic shape to an Intellimouse 1.1 but its flatter, wider and heavier. Its comparable in size to a Deathadder (although nowhere near as tall). I'd describe it as a big mouse. Its huuuge compared to the old Razer mice like Diamondback.

WanderingKid fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Mar 22, 2012

molotoveverything
Oct 18, 2010

TheQat posted:

I can't remember the specifics, but I believe the original Kinzu sensor is regarded as one of the worst offenders in terms of prediction/angle snapping (though maybe only at certain DPIs--not certain about this part).

The new one has Omron switches (the same switches Logitech uses in everything--generally regarded as the best), bigger feet made entirely of Teflon, a different sensor (Pixart PAW3305DK instead of ST Microelectronics VT5366), and a different finish all around (obviously it's subjective whether this is better).

the V2 Pro was also bugtested prior to release by the mouse-obsessed guys at http://www.overclock.net/f/375/mice and Steelseries implemented their suggestions.

After the initial few hours of use, I think the Kinzu V2 Pro is my new second favorite behind the Abyssus. The buttons are really stiff at first, but either my hand got used to the amount of pressure you need or they break in a little. No problems with tracking at 800dpi 6/11. Middle mouse button is quite nice, though the whole wheel seems a little loose in the housing so I hope it doesn't gradually get looser.

The Abyssus still has the killer combination of the best sensor in existence (for my money), super light weight (it's only 6g lighter than the Kinzu, but feels lighter in use for some reason), and the flexibility of the hardware switch for DPI + a driver sensitivity scale + zero acceleration. But the new Kinzu feels a lot more sturdy and is probably less ergonomically controversial for most people

oh wow, now I totally notice the acceleration after trying an old WMO I had lying around. I can't believe I've went this long with this and that steel-series would even release something like this. On the plus side I'm using my MS Wheel mouse optical again now and I can already feel the difference especially after I boosted polling to 500hz. Railshots and rocket jumps feel easier with this. Not falling for that gaymen mouse crap again, it looks like a lot of SS mice have the same issue with having some kind of built in acceleration.

molotoveverything fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 22, 2012

PlasticSpoon
Apr 2, 2004
I've used Logitech mice for the last 10 years but my Performance MX is giving me problems. I'm not sure if my particular mouse is faulty or if its the Darkfield laser design, but I'm ready for a gaming mouse.

I want a Razer or a Steelseries, but I'm used to the giant bricks that are the Logitech Revolution and the Performance, and would like a similar profile gaming mouse.

It seems like I'd want the Deathadder, but is there anything else out there? Possibly one that can be wired and wireless?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

What sort of problems are you having, exactly? And what makes you interested in switching to a gaming mouse?

PlasticSpoon
Apr 2, 2004
My mouse at certain points will stop tracking, it happens randomly it seems. When I get it to a spot where it wont respond I can usually move the mouse a few inches before it'll like "sync" back up and be fine. When it wont track it also won't react to mouse clicks, I have to basically move it back and forth quickly to get it to respond again. When this happens repeatedly I'll rotate my mouse pad so I'm using the other corner but it will still persist.

I have tried 3 different mouse pads, two hard surface pads and a cloth pad. I don't believe its an issue of dirt or hand sweat getting on the mouse pad as I've tried cleaning the mouse pad before I play games on it, and also wearing sweatshirts or a wrist sleeve so that my palm doesn't touch my mouse pad. I've also tried cleaning the laser port with rubbing alcohol and a qtip every few days.

I've had this problem for months. I finally switched back to an older Logitech I've had and haven't had the issue come up in the last few days. Since I've updated and reinstalled SetPoint and have tried 3 different mouse pads and have also tried keeping everything extra clean, I've concluded it is the mouse.

And I got back into PC gaming like 6 months ago and I just want to try something that isn't Logitech.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Is motion connected at all to the mouse clicks, I wonder. If motion appears to wake it up, could it be a loose connection or just a good old fashioned weak battery?

I am more interested in your case than I might otherwise be because I just got my replacement mouse in from Logitech and it is the performance mouse mx.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Has anyone tried the steel series Diablo 3 mouse? The details available are a little hazy on exactly which mouse it is based on, or whether it is a new design of its own. The soft touch surface looks great and if it turns out to simply be a rebranded sensei with a nicer surface it may well be the perfect mouse, that metallic surface is the main thing keeping me from a sensei.

Also, does the sensei have mouse smoothing like other steelseries mice have had?

PlasticSpoon
Apr 2, 2004

doctorfrog posted:

Is motion connected at all to the mouse clicks, I wonder. If motion appears to wake it up, could it be a loose connection or just a good old fashioned weak battery?

I am more interested in your case than I might otherwise be because I just got my replacement mouse in from Logitech and it is the performance mouse mx.

It's like I just "scrub" the mouse back and forth to get my ability to use it back. I wouldn't say its weak battery, I just got it a few months ago and a full charge is good for about a week.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Darn shame. Good luck with whatever new mouse you pick, and wish me luck with mine!

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

The Lord Bude posted:

Has anyone tried the steel series Diablo 3 mouse? The details available are a little hazy on exactly which mouse it is based on, or whether it is a new design of its own. The soft touch surface looks great and if it turns out to simply be a rebranded sensei with a nicer surface it may well be the perfect mouse, that metallic surface is the main thing keeping me from a sensei.

Also, does the sensei have mouse smoothing like other steelseries mice have had?

From the specs it looks like a Sensei Raw with an onboard profile. The metallic surface on the Sensei is not metal. Its satin finish on metallic paint on plastic. It feels pretty good but its the most unbelievable grime magnet I've ever seen. The upside is that wiping it down is quick and effortless.

Sensei has loads of smoothing, predictive options in the steelseries engine software but you can turn them all off if you want to. Xai had all of the same options except adjustable lift off distance. Some people claim that the mouse has some type of acceleration even if you disable all of the smoothing/prediction options but its not something I ever noticed. Then again, I don't get sponsored to click on fast moving pixel sized objects for tournament money so shrugs. Maybe its noticeable if you do stuff like that?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

WanderingKid posted:

From the specs it looks like a Sensei Raw with an onboard profile. The metallic surface on the Sensei is not metal. Its satin finish on metallic paint on plastic. It feels pretty good but its the most unbelievable grime magnet I've ever seen. The upside is that wiping it down is quick and effortless.

Sensei has loads of smoothing, predictive options in the steelseries engine software but you can turn them all off if you want to. Xai had all of the same options except adjustable lift off distance. Some people claim that the mouse has some type of acceleration even if you disable all of the smoothing/prediction options but its not something I ever noticed. Then again, I don't get sponsored to click on fast moving pixel sized objects for tournament money so shrugs. Maybe its noticeable if you do stuff like that?

The whole grime magnet thing is what was turning me off the sensei. I'd buy the raw with the soft touch surface, but they seem to be hard to come by, whereas the diablo 3 mouse is everywhere.

I'm still concerned that the mouse is going to be too small, and too low, but my other finalist mice - both corsair mice and the RAT7 have their own issues

futile
May 18, 2009

WanderingKid posted:

The sensor is supposed to have something around 5% accel or less, which is generally going to be unnoticeable. As far as I know the diablo3 mouse is a rebranded Xai with some slight changes, just like the Sensei.

On a side note here's an interesting post from Steelseries' marketing director prior to the Sensei's release: http://www.overclock.net/t/1089290/steelseries-sensei/120#post_14613779

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Welp, after getting tired of sore pinky both at work and at home I ordered a RAT7. We'll see how it goes. Does anyone else even make a mouse with pinky support? The only other ones I found were the Steelseries MMO mice, and I ain't putting that on my desk for others to see.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 26, 2012

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

evil_bunnY posted:

Welp, after getting tired of sore pinky both at work and at home I ordered a RAT7. We'll see how it goes. Does anyone else even make a mouse with pinky support? The only other ones I found were the Steelseries MMO mice, and I ain't putting that on my desk for others to see.
What's the difference, honestly? One looks like a transformer in it's utility-form, the other like it's a mouse & keyboard in one. Either way you'll seem like a huge nerd (which seemed to be what you wanted to avoid), but that may just be me.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

evil_bunnY posted:

The G300 maybe? I think the right-side thumb rest should work as a pinky support, although it would depend on your hand size and grip.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Has the Logitech M570 had any reviews here yet? I love using a trackball for work (but haven't had one for years) and I really wanted one for when I use my netbook at home (I hate touchpads). I ordered one, arrived today, gave it a trial at work, and liked it so much I ordered a second one so I can have one at both places. :3:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

evil_bunnY posted:

Why not? It's got numbers on it. Just don't get the ones with game characters all over them, and tell people you're super productive.

Comedy option: buy a Hippus Handshoe. It's got pinky room to spare.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Cream_Filling posted:

There's no place to grip with your pinky or ring finger, so picking that thing up when you need to would be... a giant pain in the rear end at best.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Marinmo posted:

What's the difference, honestly?
The WoW logo?

Cream_Filling posted:

Why not? It's got numbers on it. Just don't get the ones with game characters all over them, and tell people you're super productive.
Their website didn't show a no-logo option when I checked.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 28, 2012

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

GreatGreen posted:

There's no place to grip with your pinky or ring finger, so picking that thing up when you need to would be... a giant pain in the rear end at best.

Well I did call it a comedy option.

evil_bunnY posted:

The WoW logo?

I looked up a photo, and the logo's pretty subtle, honestly. If it really bothers you I'm sure you can stick a bit of vinyl on it or something.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

If you find yourself having to pick up your mouse, your sensitivity is too low.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

NihilCredo posted:

Or your mousepad is too small.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

NihilCredo posted:

Eh, that's just not true. I knock my mouse on the floor more times than I can count, because I use it on an armrest of an armchair, with a solid pad on top of that. Picking the mouse up and re-centering it is a common task.

Although I admit this is not a recommended mousing scenario (although it is comfy).

futile
May 18, 2009
It's completely untrue. Picking up your mouse is pretty commonplace and helps keep the mouse centered.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I don't pick mine up very much, but I like the sensitivity pretty high. I certainly wouldn't say no one should ever have to pick up their mouse, though. Different strokes and all.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I have been using a lovely small mouse for the last couple of months and I'm pretty sure that's the cause of the pain in my hand. So, I'm thinking about buying a new mouse but I'm not sure what I want or what I should be looking for. Any tips or suggestions?

I spend most of my day using it but I don't really play games where a gaming mouse would be necessary (Multiplayer FPS/RTS?).

The Microsoft Arc looks sexy as hell but I'm not sure.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

gmq posted:

I have been using a lovely small mouse for the last couple of months and I'm pretty sure that's the cause of the pain in my hand. So, I'm thinking about buying a new mouse but I'm not sure what I want or what I should be looking for. Any tips or suggestions?

I spend most of my day using it but I don't really play games where a gaming mouse would be necessary (Multiplayer FPS/RTS?).

A lot of gaming mice are fine for everything, so I wouldn't entirely discount them unless they're horribly ugly. I use a Logitech G500 for gaming and everything else and I'm pretty happy with it. If you're really not sure what kind of mouse you want, and the feel is important (since it sounds like an issue of ergonomics), you may want to go to a store and try a few mice out for feel. Also, consider a wrist rest for your mouse hand with the new mouse if you're having hand pain. I've been using one for years because my pinky will start going numb if I rest my wrist on the desk.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!
I'm looking at the G9X to replace my dying MX Revolution, but looking at consumer reviews it appears that people have two big issues with it. The first is that the braided cable can kink and ruin itself; the second is that, since the laser isn't centered on the bottom, that if you pivot the mouse instead of move it directly left/right/up/down it can throw the cursor off in unintended directions.

Any goons have anything to say on these two issues? Are they as bad as people make them out to be?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

gmq posted:

I dunno, go look for one in a store, but to me it looks kind of small and the curve looks uncomfortable. Especially if you're a claw gripper.

If you're getting pain from using some crappy little mouse, I'd look into getting a mouse that fills your hand, like one of my favorites the Logitech gaming mice - MX 510, MX 518, or G400. Actually, since I brought it up, what are a list of all the Logitech mice that share this same shell? The little feet on the bottom of my MX510 have completely worn out, and I'm looking to replace it. I liked the reflex finish, but obviously it's hard to find those now.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Holy poo poo I bought a Steelseries QCK+ soft mousepad.

It's SO BIG and I am in love. I've been using a Razer Sphex desk skin before and this is my first soft mousepad since the days of rollerball mice.

So very in love.

Twamp
Oct 13, 2011
I have always used the Microsoft 20$ mice, always liked them. They last a few years and are cheap. However they also feel really cheap, flimsy and lightweight. I recently(year ago) got a Logitech G500 and I really enjoy having it.

Pros: Really comfortable, fills my hand but not too big, Logitech software allows for lots of customization including macros and DPI settings, also it has a button to toggle wheel free-spinning, removable/changeable weight cartridge.

Cons: I have only ever seen it happen in Shooter games, but the mouse will 100% shut off, and i will hear the Windows USB disconnect sound. Now when I say that the mouse will "100% shut off" I mean the DPI lights on the top of the mouse will shut off. Sometimes instead of the mouse shutting off, all of the lights on the mouse besides one of them will shut off, leaving the only light left on blinking. To fix this I must: unplug/replug the mouse, use the DPI up/down buttons(if they are mapped as default), or sometimes just waiting a minute or two the mouse will turn back on. I have searched online and found that other people have also had this problem and replacing the mouse using the 3-year-warranty solved all of the user's issues. I should do this, but I threw my old mouse away and so sending this mouse in and waiting for the return will leave me basically up a river with no paddle.

Twamp fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Mar 30, 2012

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Twamp posted:

I have always used the Microsoft 20$ mice, always liked them. They last a few years and are cheap. However they also feel really cheap, flimsy and lightweight. I recently(year ago) got a Logitech G500 and I really enjoy having it.

Pros: Really comfortable, fills my hand but not too big, Logitech software allows for lots of customization including macros and DPI settings, also it has a button to toggle wheel free-spinning, removable/changeable weight cartridge.

Cons: I have only ever seen it happen in Shooter games, but the mouse will 100% shut off, and i will hear the Windows USB disconnect sound. Now when I say that the mouse will "100% shut off" I mean the DPI lights on the top of the mouse will shut off. Sometimes instead of the mouse shutting off, all of the lights on the mouse besides one of them will shut off, leaving the only light left on blinking. To fix this I must: unplug/replug the mouse, use the DPI up/down buttons(if they are mapped as default), or sometimes just waiting a minute or two the mouse will turn back on. I have searched online and found that other people have also had this problem and replacing the mouse using the 3-year-warranty solved all of the user's issues. I should do this, but I threw my old mouse away and so sending this mouse in and waiting for the return will leave me basically up a river with no paddle.

Usually if the mouse turns off and then back on it's one of the wires in the cable being broken and during a cord flex, disconnecting. It should be covered by warranty replacement. You could always get a cheap mouse to span the gap until yours comes back. I usually keep a spare wireless mouse to use with laptops when I need to work with them (because gently caress track pads worthless rear end in a top hat things). Something like this wouldn't hurt to have spare: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-V220-Cordless-Optical-Mouse/dp/B00638ICBM/. If you know anyone who's into computers and does a lot of building/tech support they probably have some spares lying around, I know personally I've got half a dozen around here (though some are so old they're ball mice).

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

You probably won't even need to get a replacement. Shoot Logitech an email and if their track record is any indication, they'll send you a new G500 sight unseen.

Twamp
Oct 13, 2011

Rexxed posted:

Usually if the mouse turns off and then back on it's one of the wires in the cable being broken and during a cord flex, disconnecting. It should be covered by warranty replacement. You could always get a cheap mouse to span the gap until yours comes back. I usually keep a spare wireless mouse to use with laptops when I need to work with them (because gently caress track pads worthless rear end in a top hat things). Something like this wouldn't hurt to have spare: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-V220-Cordless-Optical-Mouse/dp/B00638ICBM/. If you know anyone who's into computers and does a lot of building/tech support they probably have some spares lying around, I know personally I've got half a dozen around here (though some are so old they're ball mice).

Thanks, yea I actually just found a lovely mouse in my closet. But I can barely be asked to plug poo poo poo poo pile in.... desperate times I suppose. It has done this since directly after I bought it, i have read that it is a problem with the braided cable. Ahh either way need to shoot them an email.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

That 70s Shirt posted:

I'm looking at the G9X to replace my dying MX Revolution, but looking at consumer reviews it appears that people have two big issues with it. The first is that the braided cable can kink and ruin itself; the second is that, since the laser isn't centered on the bottom, that if you pivot the mouse instead of move it directly left/right/up/down it can throw the cursor off in unintended directions.

Any goons have anything to say on these two issues? Are they as bad as people make them out to be?
I switched from a Revolution to a G9. Have a cosmetic kink, but only because I melted the cable under my laptop. No issue with the off-center laser.

However, the weight compartment kind of fell apart (a small plastic piece fell out), and now I have the weight compartment out so it doesn't rattle.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 30, 2012

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!
Yeah, I ended up going out and buying one yesterday after work. So far it's pretty good; it's way more comfortable in my hand than it looked in ads and in the packaging.

I can confirm the off-center laser thing. If you rotate the mouse cw or ccw in place without moving it, it does send the cursor off in weird directions. But despite this I haven't noticed it as being a problem without specifically making it one. I used it for several hours last night both gaming and general use and there was no issue.

The cable kinking is supposedly a more long-term issue, so I'll have to wait and see on that one.

I'm happy with the purchase so far. Looks like a good mouse.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

evil_bunnY posted:

The naos is pretty drat big and I found it fit my hand including my pinky just fine. In other news, I like the g500 and the features it has but I like the feel of the naos better :(

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
How are Logitech's drivers, btw? I remember SetPoint being a buggy piece of poo poo on Windows 7. I feel like driver support and quality as well as firmware programming is the key differentiator for mice, along with maybe number of buttons, since most mice use the same switches and physically most companies offer the same variety of shapes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

That 70s Shirt posted:

The cable kink is a huge problem. Happened in about 3 spots within six months on my G9. The G9x is pretty much the same mouse aesthetically so yea. The G9 laser also had a few issues like that, it was extremely jittery on all surfaces. I'd say open your world up to the mice that SteelSeries make. After trying out the Xai/Sensei, I don't think I'm going with any other peripheral companies when it comes to mice again.

Twamp posted:

Common problem with Logitech mouse AFAIK. It's how my G9 died right after it's warranty, fault cable disconnecting/reconnecting.

Cream_Filling posted:

How are Logitech's drivers, btw? I remember SetPoint being a buggy piece of poo poo on Windows 7. I feel like driver support and quality as well as firmware programming is the key differentiator for mice, along with maybe number of buttons, since most mice use the same switches and physically most companies offer the same variety of shapes.

They're fine. Not awful on W7U 64bit for me atleast. The SteelSeries engine is a pretty big pain in the rear end though.

Shogunner fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 30, 2012