Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Internet Kraken posted:

The hell? This isn't anywhere near corre- oh, you're one of those infiltrators.

A real infiltrator carries a claymore and kills stuff up close and personal :colbert:
If you want to get close and personal, use an SMG with cryo ammo (or an assault rifle, I suppose, but a SMG lets you carry a sniper rifle). The stupidly high fire rate means you'll be triggering freeze-effects left and right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Dick Trauma posted:

I did as many side missions as possible before the Tuchanka priority one. It felt like the quality of the game was building up through that whole mission, and although the multiple brutes section was giving my Sentinel fits it was ultimately enjoyable. That sequence with the thresher maw taking down the reaper was chock full of :hellyeah:

You can run through the Brutes.

lemonadesweetheart posted:

In my play through she left the citadel with Captain Bailey before anything bad happened to either of them. No I can't prove it but it happened okay.

Bailey and Liara's father join up to do some rear end kicking.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 23, 2012

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

twistedmentat posted:

Being a Soldier and having fully upgraded AR at that point is highly convenient.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Aristobulus posted:

That whole series of conversations with her are some of my favorite in the game. As Banjo says, how frustrated Liara sounds when you goad her into talking to Aethyta is great. And how Aethyta essentially taunts you about dating Liara. But I think my favorite line is when Aethyta makes fun of Liara for sleeping with Shepard and asks her "So how many times have you popped his thermal clip". And how Liara doesn't even know how to respond to that.

Really the whole sequence is amazing.

I'm on a FemShep so it went a little differently. Weird thing, in this playthrough I romanced Kaiden (then killed him on Virmire :shepface: ) so we never hooked up. Aethyta still says we're dating to me, but then says to Liara, "I see how you two look at each other, I'm surprised your panties haven't caught fire." "You make it sound so unseemly!"

I've got an empty bar on my ship, get up there! :argh:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah, and then she will either commit suicide after you yell at her or live to see the citadel fall under Reaper control and experience the horror of the collector invasion all over again.

There is no happy ending for Kelly :smith:
No, bro - Bailey, Kolyat and Conrad got her out in the nick of time, seconds before the Citadel closes up. THEY JUST DID, ALL RIGHT? :colbert:

:negative:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

100 Years in Iraq posted:

I would pay for a DLC that did that.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.

I'm on a FemShep so it went a little differently. Weird thing, in this playthrough I romanced Kaiden (then killed him on Virmire :shepface: ) so we never hooked up. Aethyta still says we're dating to me, but then says to Liara, "I see how you two look at each other, I'm surprised your panties haven't caught fire." "You make it sound so unseemly!"

I think that's due to a glitch, probably related to the same one that causes Shepard to think of Liara at the end of the game even if he's not romancing her. I've noticed that every time people complain that Aethyta acted like they were romancing Liara when they weren't, they always say they were doing a romance line that would cause the glitch at the end of the game, too. Which, unfortunately, means "romanced anyone that wasn't the vermire survivor" to my knowledge.

I was wondering what the line was for a FemShep though, that's pretty good too. But I think I like the space innuendo better. :v:

edit -

quote:

I would pay for a DLC that did that.

Oh my god I would be all over that. Especially if it made her a squadmember and integrated her into the game like Javik was.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Aristobulus posted:

I think that's due to a glitch, probably related to the same one that causes Shepard to think of Liara at the end of the game even if he's not romancing her. I've noticed that every time people complain that Aethyta acted like they were romancing Liara when they weren't, they always say they were doing a romance line that would cause the glitch at the end of the game, too. Which, unfortunately, means "romanced anyone that wasn't the vermire survivor" to my knowledge.

I was wondering what the line was for a FemShep though, that's pretty good too. But I think I like the space innuendo better. :v:
I think that, for whatever reason, Aethyta says the panties-on-fire line regardless. I'm doing my canon-ish FemShep run now, and although she never romanced anyone throughout the series, Aethyta still appears to believe there's mad chemistry going on between Shepard and Liara.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

Sombrerotron posted:

I think that, for whatever reason, Aethyta says the panties-on-fire line regardless. I'm doing my canon-ish FemShep run now, and although she never romanced anyone throughout the series, Aethyta still appears to believe there's mad chemistry going on between Shepard and Liara.

That...doesn't contradict what I said? Your run should still end with your Shep thinking of Liara at the end. To my knowledge, the game is only capable of recognizing a Liara, Ashley, or Kaidan romance at that point. If you romanced anyone else, or no one else, it'll default as if you romanced Liara. So, the same thing is probably happening with Aethyta.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20

Sentinel Red posted:

No, bro - Bailey, Kolyat and Conrad got her out in the nick of time, seconds before the Citadel closes up. THEY JUST DID, ALL RIGHT? :colbert:

:negative:

:stare:

I forgot about Kolyat.

This needs to be a DLC mission.

Doctor Doctor posted:

Someone needs to mod the ending so the shot with the relays shooting beams across the galaxy just forms a giant Goatman, at least it would be honest.

I think they did this on purpose. Silly player, you can't romance a giant space bird or a bubble lady who will die from your touch, you want Liara!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aristobulus posted:

Oh my god I would be all over that. Especially if it made her a squadmember and integrated her into the game like Javik was.

Actually, how about DLC that takes place after the Reapers capture the citadel and you have Bailey, Aethyta and that Turian general helping get many civilians off the Citadel.

I really do hope people aren't soured on the entire ME series. I really would love to see more games set in the universe. First Contact war rts maybe?

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Actually, how about DLC that takes place after the Reapers capture the citadel and you have Bailey, Aethyta and that Turian general helping get many civilians off the Citadel.

I really do hope people aren't soured on the entire ME series. I really would love to see more games set in the universe. First Contact war rts maybe?

Bailey as a soldier, Kolyat as an adept and Aethyta as a vanguard. I'd play the poo poo out of that.

I hope someone at Bioware is tasked with gleaning other forums for ideas.

Haha, who am I kidding.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

The First Contact war killed less than a thousand on both sides; it's incredibly boring.

Re: Citadel
If they actually wanted to close a massive plothole and not just completely gently caress with you on wrecking all the effort you put into the Citadel they could have Shepard and co reversing the Conduit and dumping all the refugees off onto Illos.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Way better than First Contact war would be Rachni War or Krogan Rebellion.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

twistedmentat posted:

That's what I wound up doing, just trying to keep an eye out for the shadow of Reaperfoot. I was suprised it worked, and it was a relief after getting my rear end handed to me by the brutes.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Aristobulus posted:

That...doesn't contradict what I said? Your run should still end with your Shep thinking of Liara at the end. To my knowledge, the game is only capable of recognizing a Liara, Ashley, or Kaidan romance at that point. If you romanced anyone else, or no one else, it'll default as if you romanced Liara. So, the same thing is probably happening with Aethyta.
Sorry, I probably wasn't clear enough. What I meant was that I'm not sure if it's the same glitch. If you're playing as FemShep, and you actually are romancing Liara, Aethyta doesn't use the panties-on-fire line. The reason for that, I suspect, is that the game does recognise that you haven't romanced her, but leaves the option "open" - at least until you've committed yourself to someone else or rejected Liara outright in ME3, but I'm not sure about that.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Party Plane Jones posted:

The First Contact war killed less than a thousand on both sides; it's incredibly boring.

If they actually wanted to close a massive plothole and not just completely gently caress with you on wrecking all the effort you put into the Citadel they could have Shepard and co reversing the Conduit and dumping all the refugees off onto Illos.

Would be better if it picked up all the corpses too :barf:

edit: VVV Sure, yeah, why not?

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 23, 2012

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Would be better if it picked up all the corpses too :barf:

Hasn't Kelly suffered enough? Is there no indignity you would spare her? You would sling her halfway across the galaxy on a torrent of pallid, cold flesh?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Party Plane Jones posted:

Yea, it would be pretty awesome if at the end rather than limping to the teleporter, then limping down a hallway, you went up there normally, and then had to fight your way through the citadel wards, with some stuff like getting citizens off the citadel and finding C-sec holding against the reapers and such.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, it would be pretty awesome if at the end rather than limping to the teleporter, then limping down a hallway, you went up there normally, and then had to fight your way through the citadel wards, with some stuff like getting citizens off the citadel and finding C-sec holding against the reapers and such.

Why is this game so loving incomplete? It's like they just give up and start half-assing it as soon as you go to the Cerberus base.

These ideas are awesome, I would pay money for them right now. This minute.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Ambiguatron posted:

Why is this game so loving incomplete? It's like they just give up and start half-assing it as soon as you go to the Cerberus base.

These ideas are awesome, I would pay money for them right now. This minute.

I like to imagine that it's because they put so much effort into everything else in the game they just were so burnt out at the end.

That's still the same as saying they half assed it.

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

If you want to get close and personal, use an SMG with cryo ammo (or an assault rifle, I suppose, but a SMG lets you carry a sniper rifle). The stupidly high fire rate means you'll be triggering freeze-effects left and right.

Procs from ammo powers is based on the damage of the shot. I'm not certain of the specific formulas, but single target high damage shots proc really, really often and don't require sustained fire on the target.

Also, that chart doesn't include mention the N7 Valiant, so it's wrong. :colbert:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

twistedmentat posted:

I like to imagine that it's because they put so much effort into everything else in the game they just were so burnt out at the end.

That's still the same as saying they half assed it.

Eh, since everything else is so good I will say they three-quarter assed it.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

Sombrerotron posted:

Sorry, I probably wasn't clear enough. What I meant was that I'm not sure if it's the same glitch. If you're playing as FemShep, and you actually are romancing Liara, Aethyta doesn't use the panties-on-fire line. The reason for that, I suspect, is that the game does recognise that you haven't romanced her, but leaves the option "open" - at least until you've committed yourself to someone else or rejected Liara outright in ME3, but I'm not sure about that.

Really? That's weird. So why does it work perfectly for a MaleShep romancing Liara?

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Aristobulus posted:

Really? That's weird. So why does it work perfectly for a MaleShep romancing Liara?

Bioware hates gay people.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
Just watched this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZOyeFvnhiI&list=UUsgv2QHkT2ljEixyulzOnUQ&index=2&feature=plcp and I have to say, that would make the endings make a ton more sense.

This is the first I've heard of the Indoctrination Theory, and for me it really clarifies whats going on. If this is what Bioware's going for, then an epilogue DLC means potentially two things...

1. They released the game knowing or at least anticipating the uproar that would occur, and counting on that to get more publicity out of it. Then releasing the full ending DLC with essentially a "Haha, trolled you"

2. As a previous poster posted, the most incomplete game since KOTOR 2.

I do hope they're smart enough to make it a free dlc, because I can only imagine the literal bloodbath that would take place as enraged fanboys tore into Bioware HQ with pitchforks and torches.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
:siren::siren:I found a thing

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1221273p1.html :siren::siren:

Nucular Carmul fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 23, 2012

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Aristobulus posted:

Probably because Aethyta simply has different lines for MaleShep and FemShep - that is, if Liara's the active LI. I suspect the panties line occurs in both cases if she isn't (yet).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

tadashi posted:

If you make a male shep and he is not some minority race, you might as well be Javik.

My ParaShep is clearly Asian, why won't Kasumi shut up about Jacob and be my space waifu~~~~

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Nucular Carmul posted:

Unfortunately that thing is 2 days old and factually incorrect.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Things I have learned recently:

Gullible is in fact in the dictionary
I am an idiot for linking to IGN

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Someone mentioned a few pages ago that the game goofed up and they lost all of their achievements? I just started the game on my 360 and a little window popped up on the splash screen telling me that I last played the game on another console (no I didn't) and that it wanted to pull my saves or some poo poo. I ended up clicking back and reloading the game and it loaded up fine.

Anyone know what that was about? It was a 360 dashboard popup that gave me the notification and not the stupid "checking EA servers" that it does every time I load the game. I'm just glad I didn't lose my saves.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.

HoveringCheesecake posted:

Someone mentioned a few pages ago that the game goofed up and they lost all of their achievements? I just started the game on my 360 and a little window popped up on the splash screen telling me that I last played the game on another console (no I didn't) and that it wanted to pull my saves or some poo poo. I ended up clicking back and reloading the game and it loaded up fine.

I get that fairly often, i think it has something to do with quitting the game from multiplayer mode? I've had no corription or data loss so i've just filed it under 'annoyance' and ignored it.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Question to snipers. Help me decide whether to do an Infiltrator or an Engineer or what if I play again after Vanguard. I'm hearing from friends that a shot from the Black Widow will only ever strip a shielded target's shields without damaging his health, regardless of whether you were cloaked and supposedly receiving a massive damage boost. This sucks because I enjoyed ME2 Infiltrator mostly because the ME2 Widow could crush enemies with two health bars in one shot and sometimes 1-shot Harbinger.

The friend also says that sometimes, instead of making the target's head explode, the Widow makes its whole body explode. This obviously rules.

So I dearly need to know if either of those things is true.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Nucular Carmul posted:

You found a two day old thing...

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I need to find a good Javik picture and quote for an avatar.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

SuperKlaus posted:

Question to snipers. Help me decide whether to do an Infiltrator or an Engineer or what if I play again after Vanguard. I'm hearing from friends that a shot from the Black Widow will only ever strip a shielded target's shields without damaging his health, regardless of whether you were cloaked and supposedly receiving a massive damage boost. This sucks because I enjoyed ME2 Infiltrator mostly because the ME2 Widow could crush enemies with two health bars in one shot and sometimes 1-shot Harbinger.

The friend also says that sometimes, instead of making the target's head explode, the Widow makes its whole body explode. This obviously rules.

According to the wiki:

quote:

Much like its earlier counterpart, the Black Widow can pierce through Guardian shields, and light cover. While it wont be as likely to score a one shot kill anywhere to the body, it can still kill a Guardian with one headshot. With the "Piercing" mod, you can penetrate thick layers of cover, albeit with less damage. Combined with Armour-Piercing rounds, and you will be able to shoot through almost any cover.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

SuperKlaus posted:

I decided to go the boring route and play as a Soldier and I'm regretting it. I had the most fun in ME2 by playing as an Infiltrator, and next time through ME3 I'm going to Widow it up. As much as I love the Mattock, I almost prefer the SMG with cryo rounds to take care of hoards of enemies. Not to mention the weight penalties. Soldier in ME3 isn't nearly as hardcore as the Soldier in the previous two games.

Rabidredneck posted:

I get that fairly often, i think it has something to do with quitting the game from multiplayer mode? I've had no corription or data loss so i've just filed it under 'annoyance' and ignored it.

Hmm, well I haven't started multiplayer yet so that can't be it. It must just have something to do with how/when you shut down the game. Yet another sign of the lack of polish.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Mordiceius posted:

I need to find a good Javik picture and quote for an avatar.

For a quote, I'd say "Asari mastered reading?" or "They used to eat flies".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
My question is really: can the Widow one-shot a Marauder/Phantom/Combat Engineer/other badguy with a shield or barrier or armor bar on Normal difficulty?

My Vanguard Charge regularly knocked away a Marauder's entire shield bar and wounded his health down to like three boxes. Regardless of that, my friend claims his Widow only ever takes out the target's shield bar, leaving the health bar intact, regardless of cloak or uncloak. Which, if true, would be enormous bull.

However, if it is also true that you can make the whole guy's body explode, that would pretty much cancel the bull for me.

• Locked thread