Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Psalmanazar posted:

Dream Evil is the best Swedish heavy metal band entirely because of this song which has to be the most ridiculous metal song that isn't from a gimmick genre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qv8ZfxLxvI

haha, oh my god, I'd forgotten all about Dream Evil. Cheesy as gently caress but man I love that dude's voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfQaRIJIJ3U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Defiant Sally posted:

I think most peoples problems with Amon Amarth is that every album is the same as the last. They're too consistent, in a way. They never try anything new, though I dont have a problem with that myself since I actually enjoy what they do quite a bit.

I feel like even people who really really like Amon Amarth will readily tell you that this is the caveat. On the other hand, they do what they do well and it's consistently enjoyable when that's what you're in the mood for.

And there's nothing like knocking out the home stretch of a run or lifting weights to Cry of the Black Birds.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Psalmanazar posted:

this song which has to be the most ridiculous metal song that isn't from a gimmick genre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qv8ZfxLxvI
Edguy would like to have a word with you. :colbert:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1exQ2PAxTA
Although, I suppose Edguy might be considered a gimmick genre all by themselves.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

vanov posted:

Holy crap, nothing against Sweden and I'm glad that guy got probated. I'm glad to hear that Cpt. Spring Types!

Since Japanese metal was brought up, my experience in that area is exactly nil and I could use this thread's help with some recommendations! Beyond Intronaut I am into bands like *scrolls through iTunes* Baroness, Decapitated, Gojira, Hacride, Isis, Minsk, Mnemic, Neurosis, Scar Symmetry, Textures, and YOB, but not a whole lot else due only to pickiness/exposure.
If you enjoy Mnemic and Scar Symmetry, you might dig Blood Stain Child's blend of cheesy/trashy/fun-as-gently caress industrial melodeath.

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009
I know I'll get some poo poo for asking it, but do you guys have any recs for bands that are either Christian or use Christian themes or imagery in some of their music?

The only ones I know of that fit the bill are Dream Theater, Orphaned Land, Megadeth, Blind Guardian, Dream Evil, Antestor, and a bunch of metalcore bands.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I seem to recall there being an "unblack" metal band called Horde that was basically Christian BM...

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Mammal Sauce posted:

If you enjoy Mnemic and Scar Symmetry, you might dig Blood Stain Child's blend of cheesy/trashy/fun-as-gently caress industrial melodeath.
I first heard that song a few years back, and it's loving balls-out awesome. I have a dream of getting a version of that song with a longer "techno" intro, sneaking it onto the playlist of some dingy nightclub, and watching as the clubbers start dancing to the intro and then poo poo a collective brick when the metal kicks in.

BSchlang posted:

I know I'll get some poo poo for asking it, but do you guys have any recs for bands that are either Christian or use Christian themes or imagery in some of their music?

The only ones I know of that fit the bill are Dream Theater, Orphaned Land, Megadeth, Blind Guardian, Dream Evil, Antestor, and a bunch of metalcore bands.
Well, Theocracy are quite openly Christian, and pretty well done power metal to boot. Give them a spin. http://youtu.be/ug0vN8zKjZ0

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Groke posted:

I find I enjoy Amon Amarth approximately twice as much during workouts as at any other time.

This.

Death in Fire is my hockey pre-game song. :black101:

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

Mammal Sauce posted:

I love these guys! I forgot all about them when I phased out of melodeath, but I'll always remember them as In Flamesu because seriously where the gently caress did they find a Japanese Anders Friden (he even looks exactly like him, shirt and tie and dreads and all, in the video link). Thanks! edit: this is destroying me right now, female vocals are take-or-leave with me but I actually dig the synth element combined with the (admittedly simple) "rest of the band," which still sounds like a faster (older) In Flames.

vanov fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 23, 2012

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I'm trying to get the dates right in my head, but I think I was at that concert in Worcester where Sonic Syndicate got booed, too. Instead of moshing, people sat on the floor.

Unless it happened more than once. Wouldn't be surprised. They are that bad.

On the subject of Japanese metal, does it get weirder than Gallhammer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KTQbJLDG64

Three women set out to make a Hellhammer tribute band, create something stranger and darker instead.

I realize they may be old news by now, but I'm still impressed by the atmosphere. Particularly this song.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Jess and the Ancient Ones album will be out on may 19th. It will rule.

BSchlang posted:

Believer, Tourniquet, Living Sacrifice, Deliverance, Crucifer (arguably), Vengeance Rising and I guess you should probably check out early mortification.

Religious/christian lyrics aren't really a stigma in doom (let's face it, it comes from Sabbath), so Trouble, Count Raven and countless others fit in there too.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I'm trying to get the dates right in my head, but I think I was at that concert in Worcester where Sonic Syndicate got booed, too. Instead of moshing, people sat on the floor.

Unless it happened more than once. Wouldn't be surprised. They are that bad.

Three women set out to make a Hellhammer tribute band, create something stranger and darker instead.

I realize they may be old news by now, but I'm still impressed by the atmosphere. Particularly this song.

Yeah, they ended up coming out as a mix of Neurosis and Earth, which is sick and they are sick. Thank you as well!

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

vanov posted:

I love these guys! I forgot all about them when I phased out of melodeath, but I'll always remember them as In Flamesu because seriously where the gently caress did they find a Japanese Anders Friden (he even looks exactly like him, shirt and tie and dreads and all, in the video link). Thanks! edit: this is destroying me right now, female vocals are take-or-leave with me but I actually dig the synth element combined with the (admittedly simple) "rest of the band," which still sounds like a faster (older) In Flames.

I've been a big fan of Blood Stain Child since I first heard Idolator. I especially love the tracks where they really go all out with the trance influence likes Nuclear Trance and C.E. 0079 (hey look, its a Gundam reference!). They basically went from a Children of Bodom clone to some kind of In Flames and Enter Shikari mix, while still actually being really drat good.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Gallhammer get a lot of hate for some reason, but I like them a good deal. Their newest album really fell apart though, they just can't get by well enough without a guitarist, and well... Risa needs to never again contribute on vocals... ever... Between the lack of guitar and her vocals the album really just utterly fell apart with the exception of maybe 3 songs. Musically they are pretty all over the place too. You can hear a strong crust influence to their sound, and they have a lot of Hellhammer worship to their blackened doom sound as a whole. So yea, check out their first two albums, and skim through their 3rd, in particular tracks 1,2,6,and 7.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

BSchlang posted:

Incubus (not that Incubus) were among the most underrated death/thrash bands of their generation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwgy-wT0blk

Doug Pinnick has largely distanced himself from Christianity over the way he's been treated over his homosexuality, but King's X's older stuff is awfully Christian in places:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2SYPzKzD94

And of course, there's everything Neal Morse has ever touched:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pidj1rhZdXg

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 23, 2012

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Drifter287 posted:

I feel like even people who really really like Amon Amarth will readily tell you that this is the caveat. On the other hand, they do what they do well and it's consistently enjoyable when that's what you're in the mood for.

And there's nothing like knocking out the home stretch of a run or lifting weights to Cry of the Black Birds.

I think that's generally considered a positive thing, if you like what Amon Amarth does. Yeah, they're not innovating or anything, but with them you know exactly what you're getting and there's really something to be said for that. I could see how it could get stale for some people though.

Leopold N. Loeb
Apr 26, 2010

by XyloJW

vanov posted:

Holy crap, nothing against Sweden and I'm glad that guy got probated. I'm glad to hear that Cpt. Spring Types!

Since Japanese metal was brought up, my experience in that area is exactly nil and I could use this thread's help with some recommendations! Beyond Intronaut I am into bands like *scrolls through iTunes* Baroness, Decapitated, Gojira, Hacride, Isis, Minsk, Mnemic, Neurosis, Scar Symmetry, Textures, and YOB, but not a whole lot else due only to pickiness/exposure.

Again, I say, Transgressor. Their "Recollected Limbs" comp spans the length of their career. Many have said that they showed a strong Autopsy influence, but their earlier material reminds me of "Hell Awaits"-era Slayer. That is not to say that they are derivative. Quite the contrary. They have a slight experimental edge, without going anywhere near avant-garde/Sigh territory. Solid old-school death metal with a lot of slow, heavy doom parts, and some blasting grindy bits here and there. Just a touch of keyboard(just a touch) adds an eerie vibe to the doom parts. Check it out, it's great stuff.

And, yeah, Bolt thrower.

edit: I posted this a while back in my ill-fated death metal thread. It's a thread of band-sanctioned, 100% legal and ethical downloads from Metal Archives. I think you have to register to see it. Also, MA has an Android app.....

http://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29806

Leopold N. Loeb fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 23, 2012

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Misogynist posted:

Incubus (not that Incubus) were among the most underrated death/thrash bands of their generation:

poo poo yeah, can't think why I didn't immediately think of them - probably because they're one of those bands that are so good everyone just brushes the "christianity" bit under the carpet.

Speaking of, latter day Death definitely qualifies as well.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Vargatron posted:

I seem to recall there being an "unblack" metal band called Horde that was basically Christian BM...

They also aren't horrid, which is a very good thing.

This FB group seems to be active, and they may help you out: https://www.facebook.com/ChristianUnblackMetal

Bagsack
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a fucking lobster

vanov posted:

and Tomas's drumming is straight anemic

Are we even thinking about the same person? I think Haake on Koloss made it perfectly clear that he really is one of the world's premier percussionists. Even the tones of his drumkit seems to be above and beyond most other drummers in metal. Haake to me, has an unparalleled ability to lay down a gently caress-off heavy groove without a junkie-esque reliance on double bass.

edit: Maybe I'm full of poo poo... There really is a ton of double bass nonsense on this album. The song "Swarm" is a great example of what I mean though.

Bagsack fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 23, 2012

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009

The Clit Avoider posted:

poo poo yeah, can't think why I didn't immediately think of them - probably because they're one of those bands that are so good everyone just brushes the "christianity" bit under the carpet.

Speaking of, latter day Death definitely qualifies as well.

Latter day Death? The same Death that wrote Crystal Mountain?

Thanks for all the good recs so far, guys.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

Bagsack posted:

Are we even thinking about the same person? I think Haake on Koloss made it perfectly clear that he really is one of the world's premier percussionists. Even the tones of his drumkit seems to be above and beyond most other drummers in metal. Haake to me, has an unparalleled ability to lay down a gently caress-off heavy groove without a junkie-esque reliance on double bass.

edit: Maybe I'm full of poo poo... There really is a ton of double bass nonsense on this album. The song "Swarm" is a great example of what I mean though.

The "double bass" is Haake's signature style of kicking along with the guitar. It's how you can tell when the band is getting lazy: just listen to whether or not the kick drums are setting tempo or are what you're banging your head to. This is also the exact trick Emmure uses to make their guitar sound like it has an eighth string, and there's no band that wants a comparison to Emmure.

Regarding "Swarm," no they aren't going back to Chaosphere ever and Obzen proves they plan on giving us three fast and rear end-kicking tracks per album, "Surveillance" and "The Hurt" being the other two this time. Meanwhile, all three of those songs follow their "fast song" format, which isn't much different from their slow format since they do drone "solos" too.

How to make a Meshuggah song:

Intro/main riff (not really a chorus)
Verse
Main
Verse with a little spice
Jens wanders off for about three minutes to get more beer
Band plays some filler that goes nowhere
Verse
Main

A great example is "The Hurt That Finds You First," since at 3:02 it goes to the distorted main riff, Jens bails completely, and the song just drunkenly slurches its way into a tar pit to drown.

vanov fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 23, 2012

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

The Clit Avoider posted:

and I guess you should probably check out early mortification.

Scrolls of the Megiloth is a great death/thrash album minus the 90 second intro of crickets. The quality of Mortification albums is directly proportional to the quality of the album covers: http://www.roweproductions.com/page/discography

Steve Rowe is the preachiest, most self-righteous jackass in all of his online writings. I don't think I've ever seen someone come across worse than that guy.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
I would like to say that Borknagar's latest album "Urd" needs to be the hell out already, I'm pretty excited that Vortex is back with them since I could care less about Dimmu Borgir or any other black metal band that isn't Behemoth.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Zodijackylite posted:

Scrolls of the Megiloth is a great death/thrash album minus the 90 second intro of crickets. The quality of Mortification albums is directly proportional to the quality of the album covers: http://www.roweproductions.com/page/discography

Steve Rowe is the preachiest, most self-righteous jackass in all of his online writings. I don't think I've ever seen someone come across worse than that guy.

I just about tripped him at a gig years ago, when he was recovering from cancer and hobbling about with a cane. It was an accident, but I felt like a real dick.

autojive
Jul 5, 2007
This Space for Rent
Saw Gwar with Municipal Waste, Ghoul, and Legacy of Disorder last night and it was awesome. Municipal Waste particularly kicked rear end and were the best act that night. I can't count how many times I've seen Gwar but if you've seen them once, you've pretty much seen their entire schtick (regardless, it's still fun to see them) which probably made me feel like MW did a better job.

Here, have a video I shot (turn volume down, it's LOUD)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue5LiSrkmdo&list=UUHvsgHhoRrFXM7EaqHxVaTA&index=2&feature=plcp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue5LiSrkmdo

SnipeBob
Dec 8, 2006

"You mechs may have copper wiring to reroute your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel."

BSchlang posted:

Check out Crimson Moonlight. Surprisingly decent 'unblack' metal

http://youtu.be/4fQNdrCwOMY

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
My girlfriend has no idea why I keep cracking up every time her character in Tales of Graces f uses an attack called "Infernal Hail."

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
re: Christian metal - I think Extol were one of the bigger bands in the genre. It's not really my thing anymore, but tracks like Undeceived are still p. cool.

nihil morari
Sep 24, 2011

by Ralp

Misogynist posted:

And of course, there's everything Neal Morse has ever touched

Big Neal Morse fan here. His concept album Sola Scriptura is a massive slab of progmetal based on Martin Luther's upheaval of the Church. Doesn't get much more metal than that imo.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Another apparently tone-deaf mindless Meshuggah fan chiming in. Really digging the new album. :downsrim:

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Yo. I like to run, but my playlist has been getting repetitive. Right now, it has a stuff like Amon Amarth, Devin Townsend, SYL, and Septic Flesh. For some reason, Septic Flesh's cover of the "meow mix" theme (Communion) works well. Any recommendations?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Rusty Kettle posted:

Yo. I like to run, but my playlist has been getting repetitive. Right now, it has a stuff like Amon Amarth, Devin Townsend, SYL, and Septic Flesh. For some reason, Septic Flesh's cover of the "meow mix" theme (Communion) works well. Any recommendations?

For this I found Pandora radio's Kataklysm Radio pretty good. It does throw some bullshit -core stuff in there but generally it's a good workout mix.

Hunters is really good stuff http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iMzbys1HAk

Other workout music I get swole to: Skeletonwitch, Omnium Gatherum, Symphony X, Vader, Testament.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
Hayaino Daisuki makes me so mad because I love every aspect of their music individually, but their mixing is so terrible that it becomes entirely unlistenable. Their first album is literally the most poorly-mixed metal I've ever heard; I have no idea how they listened to it and decided that it was okay. The drummer must have done all the production because that's all you can goddamn hear.

When you can actually hear their guitar, they're pretty kickass. Great Japanese mythology theme, too.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Cobweb Heart posted:

Hayaino Daisuki makes me so mad because I love every aspect of their music individually, but their mixing is so terrible that it becomes entirely unlistenable. Their first album is literally the most poorly-mixed metal I've ever heard; I have no idea how they listened to it and decided that it was okay. The drummer must have done all the production because that's all you can goddamn hear.

When you can actually hear their guitar, they're pretty kickass. Great Japanese mythology theme, too.

I posted a track off their first release earlier to show an example of legitimately bad production. Their 2nd is much improved and very listenable though. Highly recommend checking them out though, its basically Gridlink playing super thrashy grind.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
Oh, so you did. Agreed, the fact that it's a Jon Chang project should be enough recommendation for anybody. :)

In other news: Preorder the latest Cattle Decapitation album, Monolith of Inhumanity, and receive, among other things, legitimate Garbage Pail Kids trading cards based on the members of the band.

Commissioning the GPK artist is such an incredibly awesome thing to do that I'm surprised no grind band has done it before.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

BSchlang posted:

Lengsel's Solace is a very good album with a lot of touches of certain 2nd wave Norse black metal bands -- though it didn't come along til 2000. You'll hear flourishes of early Old Man's Child, Satyricon, Kvist, Limbonic Art, Bergtatt, and, in this song, a lot of Thorns. There's also an occasional Opethian passage.

I am not suggesting the quality of the music even approaches the aforementioned bands, but it's still good stuff, in my opinion.

e: Not sure why I picked the least representative song on the album. This one might be a better indicator.

Von Sloneker fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 25, 2012

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Rusty Kettle posted:

Some Debauchery, maybe? Groovy-as-gently caress death'n roll. They vary from pretty straight death metal to downright AC/DC with death vocals. I don't excercise myself because I'm a lazy slob, but I imagine that if I did, that poo poo would get me pretty pumped.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

feld posted:

Another apparently tone-deaf mindless Meshuggah fan chiming in. Really digging the new album. :downsrim:

That's just, like, my opinion, man.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Meshuggah are best when you've had 3-4 beers and you're banging your head off to Electric Red at some festival. Koloss is okay, double kicks feel a bit lazy when there's nothing interesting happening on top of it and I had hoped there would be more songs in the vein of Lethargica and This Spiteful Snake but instead we got Bleed and Pravus with less flavour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Cobweb Heart posted:

Oh, so you did. Agreed, the fact that it's a Jon Chang project should be enough recommendation for anybody. :)

Speaking of Jon Chang, I was watching the thriller/drama Homeland and they used 'Orphan' by Gridlink when they were using sensory torture on a captured terrorist. It came out of loving no where and I couldn't have been happier.

Where else have you guys seen heavy metal in the mainstream where you certainly didn't expect it?

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Mar 25, 2012