Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
That looks way worse than Breath of Death VII or Cthulhu Saves the World and those will cost you all of $2 on Steam.

Seriously how can they compare that art to oldschool SNES RPGs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
does anyone have a link to the Your World thread, I need a good laugh and search is down

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

^^^^edit: Here ya go

Yodzilla posted:

That looks way worse than Breath of Death VII or Cthulhu Saves the World and those will cost you all of $2 on Steam.

Seriously how can they compare that art to oldschool SNES RPGs?

Alternate pitch: "The spiritual sequel to The Demon Rush"

Azraelle fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 22, 2012

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
I think the biggest mistake that most of these indie dev groups are doing is setting their Kiststarter goal WAY to high, seriously? $200k to pay 5 guys to make that 2d episodic rpg?

The project I am working on, we have 4 guys, we are going to do a Kickstarter and we are setting a goal of $10k, we need the money for software licencing, and more music in the game. We hope to have the game to a point we want to really show it and do our Kickstarter around the end of April, but we will see. as of now in pre-alpha we have some game play to show and our ship builder is functional (not fully complete yet)

In case anyone missed it, here is the thread for the project
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3464522

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

zenintrude posted:

Who can say "no" to these candid motherfuckers?

So diverse!

This would make a great Benetton ad if they photoshop out the big guy with the glasses and maybe add a woman.

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
wow, harsh, guys. While I may not be rushing to donate because I don't particularly like the RPG Maker style games, the Tempus Chronicle video was actually pretty well done. Far better than a lot of the lame KS projects I've seen recently.

Also, what the heck is the Magical Adventure Bonanza?? I've searched around for it, and found nothing. Was that a joke by the poster above?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

yegods posted:

wow, harsh, guys. While I may not be rushing to donate because I don't particularly like the RPG Maker style games, the Tempus Chronicle video was actually pretty well done.

Strongly disagree... it looks like something that could have been done in an Intro to Digital Video Production course, not something that will entice people to donate 200k+ to a project.

Also, the project itself looks terrible.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

zenintrude posted:

Strongly disagree... it looks like something that could have been done in an Intro to Digital Video Production course, not something that will entice people to donate 200k+ to a project.

Also, the project itself looks terrible.

Yeah, the absurd goal is what makes me laugh about it. Particularly when we already have Breath of Death VII and Cthulhu Saves the World for $3 (not each, mind you, together) as mentioned above.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
It's honestly more baffling they want $200k for an RPG maker video game. I mean, really?

Just because they're less filthy in a sea of turds doesn't make it a good project.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

LumberingTroll posted:

I think the biggest mistake that most of these indie dev groups are doing is setting their Kiststarter goal WAY to high, seriously? $200k to pay 5 guys to make that 2d episodic rpg?

The project I am working on, we have 4 guys, we are going to do a Kickstarter and we are setting a goal of $10k, we need the money for software licencing, and more music in the game. We hope to have the game to a point we want to really show it and do our Kickstarter around the end of April, but we will see. as of now in pre-alpha we have some game play to show and our ship builder is functional (not fully complete yet)

In case anyone missed it, here is the thread for the project

Are the tiers here going to include the game itself? I feel weird about giving money if it's not an investment and I'm also not getting a product in the end, even an interest free loan would be preferable.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Seashell Salesman posted:

Are the tiers here going to include the game itself? I feel weird about giving money if it's not an investment and I'm also not getting a product in the end, even an interest free loan would be preferable.

On yeah for sure, the kickstarter will be one of the cheapest ways of getting the game, thinking $15+ will get a copy of the game, we want to do $25 at release.

We will also have some other nice tier rewards, like limited posters, and signed physical audio cds from the games audio composer Artem Bank. http://artembank.bandcamp.com/ we also want to include some way for the higher end backers to leave their mark on the game, like help us design a ship module set, or npc encounter or something along that lines.

We are NOT looking for hand outs, any reasonable backer will receive something for their money. The 10k goal is literally just for our software licensing, Maya is expensive. then we need to purchase Pro Unity licenses etc. with everything we get that is over the goal, will go to making the initial release better, more ingame assets, more music etc. and a bit to help with advertising and marketing.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
In that case I'm 100% down for another awesome indie spaceships game.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Seashell Salesman posted:

In that case I'm 100% down for another awesome indie spaceships game.

great to hear! I'll be sure to keep everyone posted, if you can spread the word, the more people we got interested the better we will do!

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

At the current rate of donations that Tempus game is going to easily make its goal.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

the black husserl posted:

At the current rate of donations that Tempus game is going to easily make its goal.

I don't remember the exact number yesterday, but I think it was roughly 38,000, which is the same level it's standing at no. So, if I remember correctly, they've made less than 1000$ in 24 hours. And it seems reasonable to assume that the rate of donations is something that decrease with time (in the Wasteland 2 thread RagingBoner posted a graph where it looked like donations and time followed something like an logarithmic function). So I doubt they'll reach their goal.

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.

Azraelle posted:

I don't remember the exact number yesterday, but I think it was roughly 38,000, which is the same level it's standing at no. So, if I remember correctly, they've made less than 1000$ in 24 hours. And it seems reasonable to assume that the rate of donations is something that decrease with time (in the Wasteland 2 thread RagingBoner posted a graph where it looked like donations and time followed something like an logarithmic function). So I doubt they'll reach their goal.

from what I've seen, there's usually a big pickup at the end. So unless they totally blown their cred, I'd say they still have a good chance to make it.

LumberingTroll: I'm not quite sure I'm following... is there a kickstarter project yet? Because I searched around, and didn't find anything.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Nope not quite yet, we are planing to list it end of next month. we do have a thread on SA about it though.

clarification: the reason we are waiting till end of April is we are in process of adding a lot of art assets right now. the better we can make it look, the better I think we will do on KS.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

zenintrude posted:

Who can say "no" to these candid motherfuckers?

So diverse!
Yet the main character is still a blonde white guy.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Are we pimping kickstarter projects in this thread?

Working for $1

quote:

This book describes a key but unmentioned cause of poverty, and what happens when the peoples' will is undermined by the interests of a small group of elites.
This seems real special. It's a manuscript which has already been written and just needs the funds to publish. I really want to see this project funded. It's only $2k away, come on goons...

Traditional Astrophotography
It's already funded but it could be a chance to get your hands on some really cool photo prints if it actually comes to fruition.

I was going to pimp some more but it appears I've waited too long and they are already completed and funded.

e: VVVVVV Oh yeah I'm a complete idiot. Despite the title of the thread even being Kickstarter Gaming it didn't occur to me. I'm kind of happy I did it now though if it was actually a goon (or a huge coincidence) that funded the rest of that "Working for $1" project. Search suggest this is the "main" kickstarter thread?

Xik fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 24, 2012

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Xik posted:

Are we pimping kickstarter projects in this thread?

Working for $1

This seems real special. It's a manuscript which has already been written and just needs the funds to publish. I really want to see this project funded. It's only $2k away, come on goons...

Maybe post it in the main or another subforum, seems wasted here. (put in some anyway though)
edit: Holy gently caress, someone just dropped $2k on that and covered it.

Orgone Accumulator
Jan 28, 2006

It's been a long time coming.
So the Xenonauts guys are preparing to wade into the melee for your amateur investment dollars

quote:

OK, so the time has come to bite the bullet and do a Kickstarter for this project.

If you're unsure as to why we'd want to do this, it's mostly because a variety of games have done very well out of it - Doublefine and Wasteland 2 being the two most famous Kickstarters so far, but much smaller games like FTL have also raked in a lot of cash too. FTL is sitting at $150,000 at the moment. To put that in perspective, that's substantially more than we've taken in pre-order revenue over the entire lifetime of this project.

The major difference between us and the other projects announced so far is that they are generally brand new games very early in the development cycle, whereas we're towards the end of ours. This is a disadvantage in the sense that we're not exciting new news in the same way as they are, but it's an advantage because we've got loads of nice art to show off and there should be less doubts about whether we can pull off making a game.

Because we're an existing project, we're going to take a slightly different approach. My plan is to make a playable demo of the game available to everyone, so people can see for themselves how the game looks. Our pitch in the video is basically going to be "We're getting to the end of our development cycle, and we'd like to raise a load of money so we can make the game as good as it can be".

This is a pretty honest pitch - we're going to need more money than we have now if we're going to make Xenonauts an exceptional game. We're on track to make it a good game - perhaps even a very good one, but we're constrained by cashflow on some of our ideas.

Anyway, the flip side of this is that next weekend we're going to try and release the basic version of the build that we'll be releasing to the entire internet. The idea is this build will contain the gameplay in the game until a couple of weeks after the Corvettes appear, which will allow the player to get laser weapons and Wolf armour, and then it'll spawn a couple of scripted events - a terror site and then a base defence mission. Once the base defence mission is over, the demo will end.

The hope is that it'll show off the best parts of the game to everyone, and convince them to pay up. It should also give journalists something to write about. Once the key features are in place, we'll just keep iterating it until it's basically bug free and then go ahead with the Kickstarter.

http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/1270-Xenonauts-Kickstarter-and-Public-Build

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Orgone Accumulator posted:

So the Xenonauts guys are preparing to wade into the melee for your amateur investment dollars

http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/1270-Xenonauts-Kickstarter-and-Public-Build

Oh god, why are only games I am really interested in doing this kickstarter thing?! I am running out of money if that goes on. :arghfist::smith:

Edit: No wait. Thanks for looking horrible, Tempus Chronicle! :toot:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I already have a preorder for Xenonauts. Hope their Kickstarter works as intended, because I certainly expect a better game on release than what's currently available in their alpha.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Some kickstarters I didn't see mentioned (in this thread) were the successful No Time To Explain kickstarter (although I think the original flash game was enough), the successful Octodad 2 kickstarter (I'm excited for this game), and the successful Idle Thumbs Video Game Podcast kickstarter for which backers of a certain level get a sequel to the free Indie game Gavity Bone.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

buttopticor posted:

No Time To Explain kickstarter (although I think the original flash game was enough)

Agreed but it looks like the majority of their funds would be going to porting it to PSN and XBLA which makes sense.

Octodad 2 is something that very badly needs to exist.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Is it considered soliciting if I'm slightly related to the project? If so I apologize and will edit my post out.

This isn't Kickstarter per se (Indiegogo is basically the same thing, but Kickstarter doesn't work for Australians apparently) but I would like to let you know about this one.

http://www.indiegogo.com/Malevolence

It's a first person procedurally generated turn based rpg with an old-school feel made by an Australian indie dev team of about 20 members, I think.

My involvement is simply being an observer for a while and alpha tester. I've talked to the lead developer a couple times and he's really passionate about it.

I can probably answer some questions about it on the off chance anyone's interested.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Have there been any successful kickstarter projects already released?

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
So I didn't see this mentioned, but while checking all the links, Hardcore Tactical Shooter has a bunch of stuff added about it instead of just being a "are people interested in this genre" into a "are people interested in this game? here are actual things about this game". It's name is also Takedown as a working title.

With 5 days left, I doubt they'll raise $120,000, but still, I feel like this is kind of...eh to do in the middle of your campaign. Should of just stuck it out, failed, and then maybe started a new kickstarter with the game stuff on it with a new deadline and a lower amount of money requested.

Link to the page:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/355932838/crowdsourced-hardcore-tactical-shooter

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Alan Smithee posted:

Have there been any successful kickstarter projects already released?

Breath of Death VII/Cthulu Saves the World's PC ports were financed through Kickstarter.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Artix74 posted:

Breath of Death VII/Cthulu Saves the World's PC ports were financed through Kickstarter.

So I've already enjoyed two results of Kickstarter? Cool, I suppose that can excuse all the money it's taking from me now.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Master_Odin posted:

So I didn't see this mentioned, but while checking all the links, Hardcore Tactical Shooter has a bunch of stuff added about it instead of just being a "are people interested in this genre" into a "are people interested in this game? here are actual things about this game". It's name is also Takedown as a working title.

With 5 days left, I doubt they'll raise $120,000, but still, I feel like this is kind of...eh to do in the middle of your campaign. Should of just stuck it out, failed, and then maybe started a new kickstarter with the game stuff on it with a new deadline and a lower amount of money requested.

Link to the page:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/355932838/crowdsourced-hardcore-tactical-shooter

Someone must have just dumped a lot of money on it because it's up to $97k now. That's a lot for a game I was sure wasn't going to hit 50.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Sankis posted:

Someone must have just dumped a lot of money on it because it's up to $97k now. That's a lot for a game I was sure wasn't going to hit 50.

It got posted on RPS or some gaming news blog today.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Is this the place where I can voice my distaste for Brian Fargo's ill-thought-out and pointless "Kick it Forward" campaign? Because man, I really really really don't like it, and I've been following Kickstarter for a long time.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Occupation posted:

Is this the place where I can voice my distaste for Brian Fargo's ill-thought-out and pointless "Kick it Forward" campaign? Because man, I really really really don't like it, and I've been following Kickstarter for a long time.

Why not? It's not compulsory, and it seems like an act of generosity.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Occupation posted:

What's not to like? It's a promise to put 5% of your profits into other Kickstarter game dev projects. Like, the developer decides that's something they want to do with their money, and then they do it. Do you not like it when people decide they want to fund Kickstarter projects and then do just that? Because that's weird.

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

Occupation posted:

I see nothing wrong with Kickstarted developers putting a bit back into the system that allowed their game to exist.

Dipes
Oct 24, 2003
I funded StarDrive through Kickstarter and also got the attention of some publishers. Got nothing but praise for Kickstarter as it is the ultimate free market solution.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
This is a pretty neat concept. It just needs people to come forward to make another Populous, Magic Carpet, Space Flight, and Carrier Command games.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Occupation posted:

Yeah, it is. I'd like to hear a well-reasoned post about why it's not a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Urdnot Fire posted:

Why not? It's not compulsory, and it seems like an act of generosity.

I have a lot of reasons I dislike it:

1) Most importantly, it's non-binding.

As seen in other industries, non-binding agreements (especially opt-in ones) are effectively useless, due to lacking teeth. Especially since it's not affiliated with Kickstarter, and since most people aren't willing to disclose financials like profits, there's no way to tell if anyone who opts in to the process is actually "kicking it forward", as it were.

Therefore, it's most effective as a meaningless PR tool (as seen already) than as a method of actual assistance.

2) 5% of a product's profits is a (potentially) incredibly large amount of cash.

Especially with projects on the razor's edge of being funded, like Auditorium: Duet, I'd rather the individuals reinvest those profits back into more infrastructure or keep it as liquid cash.

3) Kickstarter is a marketplace of ideas, not a charity.

I feel like people who get crowdsource funded being "obligated" or "guilted" into returning part of that cash ignore the whole point of crowdsource funding. The idea is that due to something that they, the project proposer, did- the quality of the product presented, the quality of their pitch, the quality of the reward system, etc- is what caused the proposer to be funded. It's that sort of dreamy capitalism that Republicans like to lie about still existing in companies like Microsoft etc- each proposer is graded on his or her own merits and succeeds or fails solely because of that, not because we feel bad for them and think they deserve our money because of it.

I feel like every dollar contributed to every project should be because the backer personally believes in the project or wants to see it be made, not some $10,000 moneybomb from Tim Schafer because he feels guilty about making a great pitch video that did its job.

At the end of the day, I don't care if ineXile spends 50% of its profits on investing in a How to Boot Up Your Computer kickstarter, as long as they spend that cash because they want to see the project get made, not because of a sticker or some residual sense of guilt.

4) Companies who don't opt in will be bitched out for not opting in.

Stoic is already being criticized on its page for not "Kicking it Forward". I see that trend continuing, and it'll obfuscate the point of what Kickstarter is meant to accomplish. Personally, I feel like Stoic has a great pitch video and an awesome reward system in place, and they shouldn't be detracted for, essentially, not buying into a charity system.

I've been following Kickstarter for a little over a year now, and been a backer a number of different times, for many different projects. I don't want it turned into a charity where people feel bad for doing what they site is meant to facilitate doing, and doing it well.