Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Anything beyond this stuff for Orcs Must Die?

I like to put tar and clockwork maces in any space that is that width. Two in quick succession will kill just about anything, including ogres if you freeze them while they in are in the hit zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Chief Savage Man posted:

I like to put tar and clockwork maces in any space that is that width. Two in quick succession will kill just about anything, including ogres if you freeze them while they in are in the hit zone.
The best set-up only takes one mace.

|B B T|
|T T T|
|T B B|

If that's your 3-wide corridor with a low ceiling, put barricades and tar as shown, then one swinging mace under the row of tar. Placing arrow traps on the walls, and a fire-spewer at the exit is unnecessary, but fun. Sappers will blow through the barricades, though, so keep an eye out for them.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Probably not thematically appropriate for this thread but I have no idea where else to ask this. My friend and I were digging through his old stuff and we found a Neverhood CD. Just in a generic paper sleeve, but apparently undamaged. I want to play this drat thing but when I put it in my computer and run the installer(Windows 7 x64), it says that it's not compatible with the version of Windows I'm running. I'm at my wit's end trying to figure this out.

I tried running the installer in Windows XP mode, which actually works, but I can't run the game in there and I can't find a way to get the install out to my regular Windows 7 space that works - it just gives me an error about not being able to see or run the CD. I've tried everything, including ripping the ISO, extracting it to the install folder, and modifying the registry for a no CD crack type thing. I've used every suggestion for every Neverhood problem I've found and none of them have fixed my issue. Nobody else seems to have this problem; people report installing Neverhood on W7 x64 and installing it with only minor, very fixable issues. Does anyone have any experience or know what I could have done wrong?

edit: Holy poo poo after hours and hours of tinkering with the registry and trying all kinds of black magic bullshit to get this going I downloaded a shady EXE off the internet and it worked. Game runs perfectly.

So... since I'm here, anything I should know about The Neverhood? Playing about 10 minutes of it to make sure it worked I was actually kind of blown away so I don't want to spoil too much for myself, though.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Mar 16, 2012

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Neverhood

This game owns but it's been years since I've played it. The only things I can think of are:

-There are a couple dozen cassette tape-like objects scattered around the world. You need to collect all of them in order to finish the game, if you follow all the paths set out for you/solve all the puzzles you'll find them.

-There's a long hallway with writing covering its walls in an early area of the game. You don't need to read all of the text (though it gives some good backstory) but you do need to traverse the entire hallway, as there's an object at the end of it that you need to progress.

-About halfway through the game a bunch of new areas open up. Don't forget to backtrack as some of these new areas are connected to old ones (the game practically spells this out for you though)

-There's only one puzzle that stumped me as a kid, towards the end of the game. Think about all your senses (not just sight ) if you get stuck on one.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 16, 2012

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

Gharbad the Weak posted:

If you stand near your core (I think that's what it's called), you recharge faster. I think it's covered in the tutorial, but I remember playing most of the game not knowing that. My memory is fairly foggy though.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

C-Euro posted:

-There's a long hallway with writing covering its walls in an early area of the game. You don't need to read all of the text (though it gives some good backstory) but you do need to traverse the entire hallway, as there's an object at the end of it that you need to progress.

There's actually a cheat code that makes you run much faster, I recommend using it for this part. Because it's seriously like 20-40 screens worth of walking.

quote:

-There's only one puzzle that stumped me as a kid, towards the end of the game. Think about all your senses (not just sight ) if you get stuck on one.

Well, on top of this, there's a couple of completely stupid and impossible to figure out things related to the second room of the game. It's so dumb I'll go ahead and spoil it:

There are a bunch of hanging chains in the second room of the game. Three of them do stuff. One opens the door in that room (obvious), one activates a radio you need about half way through the game, and another one opens a door at the very, very end of the game.

The solution is to just pull ever chain once and only once, then you should be set. No, there is absolutely nothing that indicates you need to do this.

Fortunately the rest of the game is pretty reasonable.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Okay, I have never heard of that before. Every single walkthrough on the internet says I should get the flytrap to spit into the next room, and that's what I've done every time I've played. I actually played though the game again to test this, and the only thing pulling the other rings seem to accomplish is turning the radio back off.

Basically, I'd like to see some proof that the solution you claim exists.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Yeah, I seem to recall doing exactly what you spoiled. Maybe pulling one opens the door and doing the other thing helps you get across the barrier there so that you can actually go through said door?
Maybe I should re-install the game and play through it all tonight to verify :v:

Quodio Stotes
Aug 8, 2010

by angerbot
What combat style is the most fun to play as in mass effect 2? I'm leaning towards stealth cause I like that playstyle but this is my fist ME game so I don't know.
e- Also lovin that I can't skip the beginning cutscene to remake my player even though I've already seen it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Quodio Stotes posted:

What combat style is the most fun to play as in mass effect 2? I'm leaning towards stealth cause I like that playstyle but this is my fist ME game so I don't know.
e- Also lovin that I can't skip the beginning cutscene to remake my player even though I've already seen it.

All classes are good but I would avoid soldier because ME's combat is simple and not very fun when you're just shooting. A lot of people play vanguard which lets you teleport into people and you get the better biotic powers. Infiltrator gets you a good stealth ability and you can easily buff up your melee strength. I loved sentinel in ME1 because mid-game I used my biotics exclusively but they nerfed the poo poo out of it in ME2 although kinetic armor turns you into an effective tank. Engineer is kinda underwhelming because your drone just isn't that great.

Simply put, combat in the game is straightforward and simple. If you want to vary things up and play as a character that does more than pewpewpew then go infiltrator or vanguard.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I'm a little ways into Mass Effect 3, and I just read this:

"So after a certain event triggered by returning to the Citadel, many Citadel quests become unfinishable. Plus: no indication of that fact!"

I'm guessing that's towards the end of the game?

Without any spoilers at all, could I get some hints for Mass Effect 3? I've played through both 1 and 2.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Quodio Stotes posted:

Adept is good fun if you don't want to worry much about guns and just like things going wubwubBOOM

Edit: Oh, you said stealth - yeah, Infiltrator rocks for that. Cloaking and sniping like a mofo.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Centipeed posted:

I'm guessing that's towards the end of the game? Without any spoilers at all, could I get some hints for Mass Effect 3?
There are a few "gotcha" moments where sidequests, subplots, or minor characters will be unattainable (and/or end badly) if you miss them. It's almost entirely fluff, though; you aren't going to make the game unwinnable or even suffer any serious gameplay-difficulty consequences for it.

On the other hand, a LOT of weapons are missable and your combat effectiveness will be reduced if you stick with the starting arsenal. The Mass Effect wiki will tell you where to find most of the guns, although it has some minor spoilers (e.g. by mentioning that you find gun X on planet Y, it implies that you'll have a combat mission there).

Weapons in general are a lot less categorical in ME3. There's a full-auto sniper rifle (click here), a few assault rifles with greater single-shot stopping power than a sniper rifle, a revolver-shotgun, a slug (rather than pellet) shotgun, etc... Even if you don't like a particular type of firearm, experiment with any new ones that you find (e.g. at the SPECTRE firing range). You might be surprised. For instance, "infiltrator who snipes at long range with a heavy bolt-action sniper rifle" is an effective setup, but "infiltrator who sneaks up and blasts people in the kidneys with a giant shotgun" also works.

Powers (tech, biotic, even the soldier stuff) are stronger in ME3 than in the previous games. With the right ability choices, you can ~viably~ equip only a single lightweight gun (for fast ability cooldowns) and then rely on cover, evasion, crowd control, ability spam, squadmate powers, and melee strikes to do damage.

You have the option to change squadmate appearance. This isn't purely cosmetic. Each appearance carries a minor bonus (for instance, Liara has +25% biotic damage or +25% ability cooldown).

Paragon and Renegade choices in ME3 are definitely not "two different options for reaching a nearly-identical 'correct' outcome and/or receiving bonus experience" as they have sometimes been in the previous games. The "badass meters" have also been condensed into an overall "reputation" system, so it's possible for a nice-guy to do Renegade stuff and vice versa. Aside from fluff (who loves you, who hates you, and who dies) those choices will also impact your war score. The changes in war score aren't drastic or game-breaking, but the plot stuff is drastic. It's possible to make your character do some pretty out-of-character stuff. Remember that, when an interrupt appears, you don't necessarily have to click it. If you choose not to, then an opposite-aligned interrupt option will sometimes appear a few seconds later.

Some of the plot outcomes (e.g. character X appears, character Y survives) will be unattainable depending on your choices in ME1 and ME2. You'll need to play through a few times in order to see all of the content (or just Youtube it).

AFAIK it's possible to unlock every possible ending without touching Multiplayer, but probably not worthwhile to do so (e.g. you'd need to spend hours consulting guides and compulsively completing every sidequest, versus a few hours of actual fun* killing hordes of bad guys online).

* Fun levels vary in public matches. For best results, consult the SA thread.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Centipeed posted:

I'm a little ways into Mass Effect 3, and I just read this:

"So after a certain event triggered by returning to the Citadel, many Citadel quests become unfinishable. Plus: no indication of that fact!"

I'm guessing that's towards the end of the game?

Without any spoilers at all, could I get some hints for Mass Effect 3? I've played through both 1 and 2.

I'd say explore the citadel thoroughly first chance you get and then again after you complete every mission that is marked as "priority planet name". That's if you want to do every sidequest and see alot of the major characters from 1 and 2. If you get a message saying you've got a sidequest that seems related to a leg of the main quest then it's possible that completing the Priority mission will make those sidequests uncompletable. Basically if you really care about seeing everything then just do sidequests as they come up and run around the citadel every so often.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The quest that makes some of the misc quests from the Citadel uncompletable is Priority: Tuchanka. Not really much of a spoiler, but spoilered it anywya.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Thinking of playing Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones. I've played FE6 and 7, and I hear the game's kinda easy compared to other entries. Any reason I can't/shouldn't just go with Hard Mode out of the gate (I'm sure it needs to be unlocked, but I'm sure there are ways around that)?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
It does not, you can jump straight into Hard mode. And if you're coming off of 6 and 7 (though especially 6), it's going to be pathetically easy if you spend even a tiny amount of time in the Tower. Like, I don't know if you saw my run of FE8 in Katreus's thread before I got burned out, but I was literally killing off basically every good unit and still getting through no trouble on Hard mode.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Bellmaker posted:

Thinking of playing Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones. I've played FE6 and 7, and I hear the game's kinda easy compared to other entries. Any reason I can't/shouldn't just go with Hard Mode out of the gate (I'm sure it needs to be unlocked, but I'm sure there are ways around that)?

The only thing I can think of is to make sure you get the Member's Card when it appears, as you can re-visit any Secret Shop at the end of the game and stock up on kick-rear end gear and stat boosters to your heart's content.
There's also some RNG-trickery you can employ to get stuff like infinite Boots but I wouldn't know how to explain it here. The game is really really easy so I wouldn't worry too much, especially since you've played a couple games before.

Zotwoz
Apr 2, 2011
I just finished playing through Planescape: Torment, but I'm thinking of starting up an evil playthrough this time.

Is it really as soul-crushing as I've heard, what sorts of differences should I expect, which classes and stats should I focus on, etc.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
In REmake for Gamecube, is Mountain Climbing hard and Hiking normal, or is Mountain Climbing normal and Hiking easy. The manual writer is a dick and just says it's a tricky question.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

In REmake for Gamecube, is Mountain Climbing hard and Hiking normal, or is Mountain Climbing normal and Hiking easy. The manual writer is a dick and just says it's a tricky question.

It's been a while for me, but I'm pretty sure it's the latter. Once you beat the game you get options to make gameplay much more difficult.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

McKracken posted:

It's been a while for me, but I'm pretty sure it's the latter. Once you beat the game you get options to make gameplay much more difficult.

Sweet, mountain climbing it is. I love Capcom, but they do some weird annoying poo poo sometimes.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Zotwoz posted:

I just finished playing through Planescape: Torment, but I'm thinking of starting up an evil playthrough this time.

Is it really as soul-crushing as I've heard, what sorts of differences should I expect, which classes and stats should I focus on, etc.

If by soul-crushing you mean that most evil options are mean, sadistic, nasty and lead to everyone around you killing themselves or wanting to then yes, that's how it is. Class doesn't play much role there, but mage probably has most options in good or evil.

Neutron Bandit
Apr 28, 2008

I am about to start up Mount & Blade: Warband years after dumping 300+ hours into the first game. What are the best mods to expand the core single player game? I'm not looking to play online just expand the map/features by a fuckload.

EDIT: To clarify I should be asking if I need mods at all, unlike the first game?

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I'm gonna add some stuff for Metal Gear Solid 3, all versions:

- Try to avoid the temptation to switch camouflage every couple of minutes. You don't need 90% camo all of the time. For most areas, Tiger Stripe camo and Woodland facepaint works well.

- The button sensitivity can screw you over sometimes. Hold the CQC button too hard when grabbing and you'll slit the dude's throat. Release the Weapon button too slow and you won't fire. Be careful!

- A guard will stay asleep for longer than he will stay KO'd, so if you CQC slam a guy and plan to be on that map for a while you might consider sticking a needle in his face.

- Enemy bases usually contain food storerooms. If you destroy these with TNT, guards in that and nearby areas get hungry. This means they complain loudly about being hungry (easy to hear), they will be knocked out with only a single unarmed combo, and they will rush to eat any food that they see, even poisonous or rotten food. You pass through most areas too quickly for this to be much use, but you spend a lot of time in the final base (you'll know it when you see it) so it's worth destroying the food there.

- You can also destroy ammo storehouses, which will mean attacking guards will run out of ammo and switch to sidearms and, eventually, knives, but this is even less useful.

- In a couple of sections, you will be disguised. You can't use any weapons while disguised except for the cigarette sleep-spray gun and the chloroform handkerchief, both of which you find in the first disguise area. If you need to shoot something or plant TNT then make sure you're alone and switch to regular camo for a split second.

- The chloroform handkerchief's attack is to wave it around and, hopefully, knock out whoever you wave it at, but it has a second function - if you equip it and CQC hold someone they fall asleep instantly.

- If you ever think to yourself while playing "hmm, I wonder if I can do this?" then odds are you probably can.

- If you're playing a PS2 version, save when in a jail late in the game, and then load the save for a surprise. Unfortunately said surprise is absent from the HD version.

Dr Snofeld fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 22, 2012

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Neutron Bandit posted:

I am about to start up Mount & Blade: Warband years after dumping 300+ hours into the first game. What are the best mods to expand the core single player game? I'm not looking to play online just expand the map/features by a fuckload.

EDIT: To clarify I should be asking if I need mods at all, unlike the first game?

Warband is more an expansion of the original rather than a new game, so you'll probably want to add mods.

I generally stick with the TaleWorlds Forum for Mount & Blade mods, but you can also try the Mount&Blade Repository.
Native Expansion for Warband is probably what you're looking for at this stage, it's worth remembering that most mods install fine along side each other and you can change between them when you start the game so don't be afraid to try others out. You could also try Blood and Steel (my current favorite) or the Floris Mod Pack, which is a collection of smaller mods that adds to the single player game.
1257AD and Brytenwalda are also great, but are more total conversions on the base game.

CATTASTIC fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 22, 2012

Neutron Bandit
Apr 28, 2008

Gunt McBadpost posted:

Warband is more an expansion of the original rather than a new game, so you'll probably want to add mods.

I generally stick with the TaleWorlds Forum for Mount & Blade mods, but you can also try the Mount&Blade Repository.
Native Expansion for Warband is probably what you're looking for at this stage, it's worth remembering that most mods install fine along side each other and you can change between them when you start the game so don't be afraid to try others out. You could also try Blood and Steel (my current favorite) or the Floris Mod Pack, which is a collection of smaller mods that adds to the single player game.
1257AD and Brytenwalda are also great, but are more total conversions on the base game.

Thanks for all the info. Gonna start out with Floris and Native Expansion and work forward or backward. Found out that they recently made a Mount & Blade Nexus so you should check that out, it's much slicker than repository.

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
Just picked up Shogun 2: Total War since it was on sale on steam. Haven't played a Total War game since Rome and I wasn't very good at it. Any tips?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You need to develop the harbor to build boats. Take a province with one as soon as possible and upgrade it so it builds a trade ship. Build a bunch and sail them to those icons in the water on the edges of Japan. Five ships per trade node is preferred.

If your income is low because you have too many troops, you should invade right now.

Build better farms to improve income and keep a positive food storage.

You can move entire armies on any ship, including bow kobaya.

Pressing spacebar increases movement on the map of Japan.

Always try to keep a general in the fighting stacks to get levels.

AI tends to leave provinces behind the front lines unguarded. Land your troops on beaches and always expect to hold off a large counter force in any landing.

AI don't care for horses and I don't remember ever fighting cavalry.

Spear beats horse and expect lots of them.

Defended siege battles are a pain and so is the tutorial. Basically bow every unit in the castle and invade when they are crippled. Defenders have a big advantage and you need a bunch of units climbing the walls at once if you don't destroy the gate.

Destroying the walls/gate will cause you to waste money and a turn on repairs, and slows down building infrastructure. Guess what auto-battle always does.

Have agents attack buildings outside the castle. Farms, harbors, and tiny wandering units are where you train agents.

Metsuke > Ninja > Missionary > Metsuke

Missionary incitements work best in infidel lands. Someone with 0% of your religion is a stack of doom-sized rebellion waiting to happen.

Market (metsuke), Chapel (missionary), Sake Den (ninja), are your general buildings for money, happiness, and agents.

Upgrading Markets and Castles consume food. Chapels expand religion and improves civil research. Sake Dens give rise to ninja and stealth bombers. Castles and generals improve military research.

Converting to Christianity is a huge pain in the rear end and you get happiness and loyalty penalties. Prepare to kill your Daimyo soon after converting.

Build at least Mission level buildings in most provinces and have multiple missionaries in single provinces. You can get -6 happiness if you take too long converting.

Having any unhappiness for even one turn will hurt income or create large stacks of rebellions. Tax exempt if you have to.

Recruit, expand, tax exempt, expand, make peace/victory, consolidate.

edit: New stuff

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 24, 2012

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Dr Snofeld posted:

- If you're playing a PS2 version, save when in a jail late in the game, and then load the save for a surprise. Unfortunately said surprise is absent from the HD version.

Does that mean the poo poo dream codec is gone too? Say it ain't so!

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Silent Hill: Downpour has been out for a week. What do I need to know? Aside from the fact that it probably sucks?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
All I know about Silent Hunter 3 is that its a cool sub sim, are there any mods or fan patches I should install before playing and whatnot?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I started playing L.A. Noire, and I remember seeing somewhere that the Lie, Doubt, Truth options were actually something entirely different, and if you went by what they were originally, Cole randomly flipping out on some poor woman over picking "Doubt" made a lot more sense. And I guess any other advice would be nice (I'm playin on PC if it matters).

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Artix74 posted:

I started playing L.A. Noire, and I remember seeing somewhere that the Lie, Doubt, Truth options were actually something entirely different, and if you went by what they were originally, Cole randomly flipping out on some poor woman over picking "Doubt" made a lot more sense. And I guess any other advice would be nice (I'm playin on PC if it matters).

From the wiki:

"Truth and doubt were originally coax and force, and some of Coles reactions make more sense if you assume that's what they still are."

http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=L.A._Noire

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Are there any major issues with Gears of War for Windows or differences from the original?

DarkDude98
Jul 22, 2007

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Are there any major issues with Gears of War for Windows or differences from the original?

No major issues that I recall. The biggest difference is a whole new act (or at least chapters in an act, I forget which) and a couple of multiplayer maps.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I read the wiki for Infinite Undiscovery -- is this a spergin need-a-walkthrough game?

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Some things the wiki missed about Prototype 1.

By pressing and holding an attack button, you can do an extra-powerful attack. This can stun hunters, and if you're lucky (and it's easier when they're alone), you can stun-lock them for an entire combo.

The upgraded stealth kill makes the stealth kill quicker, which is nice, but not necessary. It doesn't make it any easier to perform a stealth kill.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Tips for Mass Effect 3:
-For your first time through, play Soldier, Sentinel, or Infiltrator. Biotic powers are actually quite worthwhile now, but so is shooting things.

-Don't feel bound to the types of weapons you were using in the first two games. Wanna play an Infiltrator with a shotgun and an SMG? Go for it. How about a Sentinel with an assault rifle and a shotgun-pistol? Sure! Use the shooting range on the Citadel to get the hang of your new gear.

-Some guns can only be found on missions and are missable, so look around!

-Complete armor sets (the ones that cost 50000) have kinda crappy stats. Don't bother, unless you like the look.

-Do every sidequest you get before doing the next "Priority:" mission. The exception is Eden Prime, which is the mission for the DLC character.

-When given the choice between betraying your old friend, and getting the support of the other race, stick with your buddy. You can get the other guys' support anyways later on. If I had to tell you that for you to make that decision, you're an rear end in a top hat.

-It IS possible to make the warring races near the middle of the game get along, but if you didn't do the loyalty missions for the two squadmates involved in ME2, or got one of them exiled, you won't be able to do it. If you don't manage it, know that at least one of them will die.

-They make it fairly clear when you're about to go on the point of no return mission, but for the sake of it, it's a place called Cronos Station.

-Just turn off the game when you get to the bit with the white light and the elevator (you'll know it when you see it). Anything you can imagine will be better and provide more closure than what's actually going to happen.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Mar 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Gharbad the Weak posted:

A bit late, but a few tips for Orcs Must Die:

-It's a hybrid tower defense game. While traps help out, you really need to kill a lot of Orcs yourself. Once you start getting the fire/ice/lightning abilities, abuse the hell out of them.

-The tooltip for the brimstone trap is a bit misleading, and makes it read like a one time use item. It does have a cool down period, but unlike a lot the mechanical traps, it doesn't have a reaction time, making it perfect for killing kobold runners. (Whoever runs over the brimstone trap while it is active gets burned.)

-Don't worry too much about trying to get 5-skulls in the earlier levels. It's drat near impossible. You can re-visit those levels later on, with better traps, and make them trivially easy.

-Look for corners where enemies have to make hard turns, or even U-turns, and trap the hell out of those corners. Kobolds can and will run right past wall arrow traps and floor spikes with one space before it ever fires. Force them to run through the entire range of the arrow traps. That will usually kill those bastards.

-When you open up your spellbook at the beginning of a level, you'll see what enemies you have to face on that level. You can mouse over them to see their weaknesses. So if you see a flame Ogre, bust out the frost gloves. If the Frost Ogre shows up, then fire gloves.

-You can sell off traps without a loss. This is really handy on Rebirth, where you have to trap the hell out of the North Spawn point for the first 3 levels, then the next 3 levels spawn from the south. Then you get a break, and can put traps back in the north spawning area.