Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Pretentious Turtle posted:

Then how would you get your first wood with which to make an axe?

Well duh, raid dungeon chests for sticks and abandoned mines for planks (which I presume you could still acquire with fists), of course.

(I think he was joking - think of an ultra hardcore game with no tools, only punching pigs for raw pork)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'm the sperg who has been enabled. :negative:

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I'd definitely LOVE to participate in an Ultra Hardcore match. I'm not sure if the map they are using is too big, maybe it would work better with a smaller map?

I'm also not sure I like the fact that you can see other player's names through walls. It feels pretty cheaty.

It could be good to "prepare" maps, either putting down traps or treasures for players to find, hide some tnt for example could make for interesting PVP.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot

Nenonen posted:

It's so amazing watching three of them building nether portals, none of them seriously considering beforehand the possibility of someone getting there first and ruining all possibilities of safe return to your place of origin (a 2km x 2km map giving a fairly small likelihood of having more than one Nether side portal).
Nether strategy is pretty interesting in this contest. The Overworld's healing resources are finite - there's only so much gold in the ground to make apples with. However, if you were able to raid a Nether fortress, you're only limited by how much water/apples/melons you brought with you. There's no reason they couldn't set up a trading situation and turn this deathmatch into a creative server, at least until the backstabbing starts.

I wish I understood how Portals work, it seems really key to strategizing.

Howmuch
Apr 29, 2008
Any of you ever tried this?

https://minefold.com/

Insanity Prawn
Jul 17, 2007
Hooray for moon jesus!

Colonel J posted:

I'd definitely LOVE to participate in an Ultra Hardcore match. I'm not sure if the map they are using is too big, maybe it would work better with a smaller map?

I'm also not sure I like the fact that you can see other player's names through walls. It feels pretty cheaty.

It could be good to "prepare" maps, either putting down traps or treasures for players to find, hide some tnt for example could make for interesting PVP.

Yeah, an ultra hardcore match sounds like it could be a lot of fun and would be something that would get me back into playing minecraft again.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Howmuch posted:

Any of you ever tried this?

https://minefold.com/

That's fantastic! Especially given how little I've been able to play it'd pretty much all be free for me.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot

Minecraft Wiki posted:

At destination, the game looks for the closest active portal block within a 128-block "radius" (actually, a maximum distance along a horizontal axis) of the player (257 × 257 × 128 tall box volume centered on destination coordinate).
This means that if the first portal on a 2000x2000 map is built roughly in the center, all subsequent portals would link to the original in the Nether. Seems like rushing the center and building a "lock" around the portal would be an interesting strategy.

Alternatively, if you build your portal close to the edge of the map, and especially the corners, you can potentially sneak in through a secondary portal if the first isn't built right in the center.

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~
Hey guys, it's me again. Seems I need a bit of help. I stumbled upon a skeleton spawner and decided to make a trap where the water flows into a small pit which drowns them. Problem is, they keep bobbing up and down and not drowning like good little skeletons :downs:.

Here is the dungeon in question:

What am I doing wrong?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The trick is to bring them all into a canal and then have that canal run to a "test tube" full of water. When mobs hit water like that, they automatically swim up. They'll swim up to the top of the test tube and stay there until they drown.
With some clever sign placement, you'll be able to have the drops fall down out of the test tube to a safe collection point.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If anyone is thinking about renting a server, you might think about just hoping on the knifeback minecraft server. I haven't checked recently but I'm pretty sure we're the oldest persistent goon server at this point (including 2b2t.net, we predate them by ~3 months). You can strike out in any direction from spawn, but whatever you build will still be there in six months. Also: there's people on the server building stuff, so you're not all alone, but the map is big enough that you may never see another person if you don't want to. By minecart, it's 30 minutes from spawn to the current build area (though much faster in the nether by minecart!).

Hit me up on PM and I'll add you to the whitelist.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Disappointing Pie posted:

Holy poo poo this hardcore series is so good. When Etho turned and Pause was standing at the end of the hall and he rushed Etho my heart was pounding, then Pause hiding from Kurt. it's so good. Some group from SA needs to do an LP series in this fashion.

I'm bummed out by how that video ended. I really wanted to see more of Pause since he seemed the most focused on loving murdering everyone, which is a cause I can get behind. Wonder where Beef was during all of that. He seems the most likable out of the guys remaining, so here's hoping he too doesn't get eaten by that dog.

This is some pretty great stuff. Definitely agree that a goon version could be a lot of fun.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Disappointing Pie posted:

I might just consider looking into setting up one of these hardcore matches. What would you guys suggest be done differently?

I have a 24 player server we could use.

If you want people to record it, one suggestion would be to do teams of two. Like 5 - 6 teams of two? I don't know the ideal numbers.

Solo commentary is very hard and takes a lot of practice to make even just slightly interesting. Having another person to play off and joke around with makes a world's difference. And it might alter the dynamics of the match in interesting ways.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Something to make players more likely to come into contact with each other isn't a bad idea either. A smaller map or more people could work, as could forcing people to build their shelters topside with a "no crafting tables, chests, or furnaces underground" rule. It's just way too easy to make it impossible for anyone to find you. On goonimati I had a single underwater smoothstone block in the middle of nowhere lead to my deep underground hideout, low enough that nobody could see my name if they even went out that far. Which led in two directions - one to a fake base and another to my actual base blocked by more smoothstone to make it seem as though it didn't exist. Kept smoothstone around to replace the blocks every time I went in and out. Never chopped down trees or placed torches in the vicinity. How do you counter that without an x-ray texture pack?

Having people find your place on a permadeath server seems like it could be pretty awesome anyways, what with all the traps you can set up.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
It's interesting seeing how quite a few of the players (Baj and Guude for example) are focused on making hidden bases, but right near the surface. So while the base is hidden when the player is in there they will be visible as long as they are not holding shift. I think it might be more interesting if player names weren't visible, or at least visible from so far away. But then there would be nothing stopping someone from squirrelling away in some deep hole somewhere and being boring, though I guess there's nothing really stopping someone from doing that already.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot

quote:

But then there would be nothing stopping someone from squirrelling away in some deep hole somewhere and being boring, though I guess there's nothing really stopping someone from doing that already.
I suppose it's a valid enough tactic, but odds on the last man standing out there is going to come at you kitted out with arrows and diamonds and enchantments. It's a boring strategy that's almost guaranteed to lose in the long run, anyway.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Hadlock posted:

If anyone is thinking about renting a server, you might think about just hoping on the knifeback minecraft server. I haven't checked recently but I'm pretty sure we're the oldest persistent goon server at this point (including 2b2t.net, we predate them by ~3 months).
I believe Goonimati is older than 2b2t.net but you're not pvp are you?

hexachord
Nov 5, 2009
A Chance Meeting in the Nether, a youtube doubler action comedy with PauseUnpause on the left and Etho on the right.

The commentary works great together, you can leave sound on for both of them.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Isorenieratane posted:

It's interesting seeing how quite a few of the players (Baj and Guude for example) are focused on making hidden bases, but right near the surface. So while the base is hidden when the player is in there they will be visible as long as they are not holding shift. I think it might be more interesting if player names weren't visible, or at least visible from so far away. But then there would be nothing stopping someone from squirrelling away in some deep hole somewhere and being boring, though I guess there's nothing really stopping someone from doing that already.

It's actually easy to sneak around in Minecraft, or at least it was in my pretty brief stint on the Keepcraft server. Once you get used to just hitting shift constantly (or find a way to bind it) you really are more or less invisible. I spent a lot of time looking around the opposing's team's base in Keepcraft with nobody noticing me, and we even had a dude hiding in a hole right in the middle of theirs for about an hour before he just popped out on his own. People are really reliant on the tags in that game, so if yours isn't visible to anyone you're suddenly solid snake.

I also don't think you can disable the name tags visible through wall thing, though.

Minecraft PVP sucks, though, since when it comes right down to it it's whoever can click the fastest and has the worst internet connection. It only really gets fun or interesting once you start using bows. Hopefully the netcode gets adjusted or the combat mechanics are changed so that normal PVP fights are at least fun.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Mar 25, 2012

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

I never found sneaking to be that bad, but then I'm a Mac user who was able to bind it to Caps Lock. A key for toggling sneak would be quite useful, though, since you still have to stop sneaking in order to use chat.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Giggily posted:

It's actually easy to sneak around in Minecraft, or at least it was in my pretty brief stint on the Keepcraft server. Once you get used to just hitting shift constantly (or find a way to bind it) you really are more or less invisible. I spent a lot of time looking around the opposing's team's base in Keepcraft with nobody noticing me, and we even had a dude hiding in a hole right in the middle of theirs for about an hour before he just popped out on his own. People are really reliant on the tags in that game, so if yours isn't visible to anyone you're suddenly solid snake.

I also don't think you can disable the name tags visible through wall thing, though.

Minecraft PVP sucks, though, since when it comes right down to it it's whoever can click the fastest and has the worst internet connection. It only really gets fun or interesting once you start using bows. Hopefully the netcode gets adjusted or the combat mechanics are changed so that normal PVP fights are at least fun.

I agree - though there is something to be said about flanking, surprise attacks, and learning to pace yourself in your sprints and charges. Even as basic and crude as pvp is in minecraft, it can be fun - there's a feeling that it's a crude starting point for me of something that could be something better. Simple, but better.

If minecraft finds a way to fix the wonky netcode and expand on its combat mechanics some, there is potential to have a lot of genuine fun in pvp. They wouldn't even need all that much - just enough to make it more than a clickfest it becomes some times.

Really though, the most successful pvpers (for the fun I had in keepcraft) generally tend to be the ones who work like guerillas - hiding cleverly or sneaking up on targets before they can react. Or those who work well in supporting teammates. (Flanking, or well-aimed supporting arrow fire, etc.)

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'd totally be up for doing a hardcore server. It looks like it's tons of fun from watching their videos. I'd be at huge disadvantage though, I haven't played since just before they added all the enchants and stuff.

Also, for those of you who were asking for recommendations on who to watch in the competition, I'd suggest VintageBeef. I've been watching all of them but Beef tends to be the least annoying and you can tell he really is having a lot of fun with it.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Nenonen posted:

It's so amazing watching three of them building nether portals, none of them seriously considering beforehand the possibility of someone getting there first and ruining all possibilities of safe return to your place of origin (a 2km x 2km map giving a fairly small likelihood of having more than one Nether side portal).

Also, Etho's faith on flint and steel against a player was pretty drat hilarious when it didn't even stop a zombie from giving him some serious hurt...

He had a bucket of lava in his toolbar too. If he put that down instead of using the lighter, other guy would've been stuck in the lava and taken a lot more damage.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Okay, tell me if I'm the only one hearing it, but that BDoubleO fella?

Johnny Knoxville.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Times posted:

I agree - though there is something to be said about flanking, surprise attacks, and learning to pace yourself in your sprints and charges. Even as basic and crude as pvp is in minecraft, it can be fun - there's a feeling that it's a crude starting point for me of something that could be something better. Simple, but better.

Yeah, fixing the netcode,tweaking attack animations, adding a stamina gauge or something for attacks, and then adding a better blocking mechanic would make the game fantastic. It doesn't even have to be that complicated - the best part about Minecraft PvP came just from the fact that you shaped the environments you fought in. When you were running amok through the enemy fort it really felt like you were in someone else's fort because they had actually built it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

hexachord posted:

A Chance Meeting in the Nether, a youtube doubler action comedy with PauseUnpause on the left and Etho on the right.

The commentary works great together, you can leave sound on for both of them.

They finished their portals almost concurrently, it would have been great if they had also stepped into Nether one right after the other. Think of the panic to ensue...

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

ChibiSoma posted:

Okay, tell me if I'm the only one hearing it, but that BDoubleO fella?

Johnny Knoxville.

I hear more of a "Matthew McConaughey and Morgan Freeman had voice sex and he's their baby" sort of thing.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Giggily posted:

Yeah, fixing the netcode,tweaking attack animations, adding a stamina gauge or something for attacks, and then adding a better blocking mechanic would make the game fantastic. It doesn't even have to be that complicated - the best part about Minecraft PvP came just from the fact that you shaped the environments you fought in. When you were running amok through the enemy fort it really felt like you were in someone else's fort because they had actually built it.

That plus a few extra options for weapons with their own positives and negatives.

Some mods already do that a bit. Spears with slower attack rates but longer reach. Hammers with slower attack rates but a stun and knockback radius effect. Daggers that do less damage than swords but can be made cheaply without a crafting block on the go, and can be THROWN. Muskets. Cannons. And so on.

Ideally I'd want an array of weapons that are basically different tools for different jobs so it comes down to playstyle choice as far as pvp goes. Not a huge amount - just a small very distinctive variety to pick from that are pretty decently balanced.

A magic system in the game for us more wizardly types who don't want to use weaponry quite as much would be nice too.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 25, 2012

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

I really doubt it would be that goddamn hard to implement some more weapons. It barely even takes a few minutes of brainstorming to massively improve the combat side of the game, without even changing the formula.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

I really doubt it would be that goddamn hard to implement some more weapons. It barely even takes a few minutes of brainstorming to massively improve the combat side of the game, without even changing the formula.

They need to rework hit detection, its really not that easy.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Nenonen posted:

They finished their portals almost concurrently, it would have been great if they had also stepped into Nether one right after the other. Think of the panic to ensue...
It would be great if one had accidentally destroyed the portal. That way whoever came out on top would be marooned in the nether.

edit-@simosimo: It's been a while but does that trick with sprinting and jumping in a 2 block high tunnel still work? Ice improves it but I forget if you can even get it.

Homeless Friend fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 25, 2012

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Short of hit n miss nether portals, and lovely minecarts, is there a useful transportation method? I have just built a lovely highway between villages, and short of walking, there's no quicker method.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Try Etho's EATS road. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5pXx97vEOY

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Times posted:

A magic system in the game for us more wizardly types who don't want to use weaponry quite as much would be nice too.

I had images I was making to demonstrate this better, but they all got wiped out, so I'll just list this instead.

Rotten Flesh - Paper - Rotten Flesh
Rotten Flesh - Paper - Rotten Flesh --> Arcane Tome
Rotten Flesh - Paper - Rotten Flesh

Gold Ingot - Arcane Tome - Gold Ingot
Redstone Dust - Empty - Redstone Dust --> Arcane Table
Redstone Dust - Obsidian - Redstone Dust

Empty - Snow - Empty
Snow - Diamond - Snow --> Winter Crystal
Empty - Snow - Empty

Empty - Feather - Empty
Feather - Diamond - Feather --> Phoenix Feather
Lava - Lava - Lava

Winter Crystal + Stick = Ice Rod
Phoenix Feather + Stick = Fire Rod

Rods start out unpowered. To charge them, you need to put them into the table and power them up with Arcane Tomes, like coal in a furnace. Using a rod depletes its power, and when it's out of power, you can recharge it.

Ice Rod can create ice blocks and freeze water, turn lava to obsidian, and temporarily freeze enemies. Fire Rod will burn objects, melt ice and snow, turn stone to lava, set enemies on fire and damage them, and constantly emit light when held.

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010
So I tried to build something in my lil game, noticed some annoying things, things you might not notice when you just pop in, try the new code and then exit, so I guess it was not a total waste of time.

Anyways, this is the result, an ugly house with a research facility/workshop connected to it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQsnWHaZfH4

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
It's almost incomprehensible that a game has gunpowder in it, but no guns. Really, just sword and bow? Not any other options at all? Seems so half-arsed.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Parkingtigers posted:

It's almost incomprehensible that a game has gunpowder in it, but no guns. Really, just sword and bow? Not any other options at all? Seems so half-arsed.

Guns aren't fantasy!! :downs:

(That is actually a thing people believe, though, so it might be the case.)

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
What the hardcore youtube viewing experience really needs is someone following and commenting all of them. Like that challenge map where the two teams had to find stuff hidden all around on parallel courses had.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
From what I've seen, people on the Minecraft forums flip the gently caress out if you so much as mention guns in minecraft. Of course, they flip the gently caress out about everything, so take that as you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010
Are there not like 6000 mods that has guns in them?