Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Duel posted:

This game is a true RE game when it comes to plot holes and sillyness, but really fun to play as an online game.

If you're talking about the huge amounts of lickers and hunters the reason there weren't any/that many in RE2 is because Wolfpack killed all/most of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So people play this on the X-Box, I hope? I'm trying to run through it, but it seems like everyone who plays online just dies intentionally or something.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Len posted:

If you're talking about the huge amounts of lickers and hunters the reason there weren't any/that many in RE2 is because Wolfpack killed all/most of them.

Yeah seriously, where did all those Lickers come from? And how did Umbrella manage to create infinite amounts of them at one point? Wolfpack is like a bi-polar group that's always straddling the line of competency.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
I really want a mic so I can communicate with dudes, what's a cheap and reliable microphone for the PS3?

Also: anyone want to group up for Professional campaign runs in an effort to reach S+? Basically, loads of kills, die no more than once (so I hear), find a handful of intel (Spectre can do that), and finally, beat the level below the Par time.

I mean it's probably doable with bots, but eh. They sometimes run in front of my line of fire, and also I'd prefer if another player would like to trigger Birkin's QTE for a change :3:

Plus campaign missions are like 5k+ exp per run anyways.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

So people play this on the X-Box, I hope? I'm trying to run through it, but it seems like everyone who plays online just dies intentionally or something.

One more day man, then we get the band back together.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Revitalized posted:

Also: anyone want to group up for Professional campaign runs in an effort to reach S+? Basically, loads of kills, die no more than once (so I hear), find a handful of intel (Spectre can do that), and finally, beat the level below the Par time.

You can do it on Veteran, but I wouldn't have a problem going with a group to get those S+ ranks. Be damned if I'm going to play another loving RE on the hardest difficulty with bots like 5.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Policenaut posted:

You can do it on Veteran, but I wouldn't have a problem going with a group to get those S+ ranks. Be damned if I'm going to play another loving RE on the hardest difficulty with bots like 5.

I've just been reading ps3trophies and it seems that no one's been able to get S+ on Veteran, despite the trophies making it sound like you can.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Did we discuss this? Capcom came out and made some statements about the viability of a pure 'survival horror' RE game that has sent the internet into a frothing rage - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-23-capcom-survival-horror-market-too-small-for-resident-evil

Personally, I'm embarrassingly excited about RE6, and I played through Desperate Escape with my brother last weekend and had a hell of a good time, so I don't quite get the anger.

FlashFearless
Nov 4, 2004
Death. But not for you, Gunslinger. Never for you.

http://www.amazon.com/PS3-Bluetooth-Headset-Playstation-3/dp/B001BR95PW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1332635792&sr=8-5

This is the PS3 bluetooth headset I use, and I think it's already. It was much cheaper when I bought it, though.

I'm definitely interested in grouping for a pro run, because I like to loving kill the poo poo out of zombies. Trying to die less than once vs Nemesis is going to be a hell of a thing, though.

PSN me at FlashFearless.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.

Leyburn posted:

Did we discuss this? Capcom came out and made some statements about the viability of a pure 'survival horror' RE game that has sent the internet into a frothing rage - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-23-capcom-survival-horror-market-too-small-for-resident-evil

Personally, I'm embarrassingly excited about RE6, and I played through Desperate Escape with my brother last weekend and had a hell of a good time, so I don't quite get the anger.

"Hey, I know you made us what we are today and supported us through the good and bad games, but we're going to make the franchise appeal to a broader audience. Deal with it."

RE4 is one of my top favorite games and I, too, am embarrassingly excited for RE6. But I can understand why some people would be pissed that Capcom doesn't care about making games for them anymore.

On the bright side, eventually some indie/small company is going to come along and make a great game to appeal to that niche.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I imagine it's a lot more expensive and intensive to create these kinds of games now. Back in the 90s/early 2000s all you had to do was draw up a CG image for environments, but now you have to fully design them. Don't really blame them for wanting to play it safe.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

FlashFearless posted:

http://www.amazon.com/PS3-Bluetooth-Headset-Playstation-3/dp/B001BR95PW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1332635792&sr=8-5

This is the PS3 bluetooth headset I use, and I think it's already. It was much cheaper when I bought it, though.

I'm definitely interested in grouping for a pro run, because I like to loving kill the poo poo out of zombies. Trying to die less than once vs Nemesis is going to be a hell of a thing, though.

PSN me at FlashFearless.

Oh wait we played together earlier today on that Nemesis level.

PSN: h4mx0r

I'll add you when I get on a little later if you haven't added me already. Yeah I've been wanting to get that bluetooth set too, but I've been constantly hoping for a deal on that particular one. Never really saw a good one though.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Schlegel Mach posted:

"Hey, I know you made us what we are today and supported us through the good and bad games, but we're going to make the franchise appeal to a broader audience. Deal with it."

RE4 is one of my top favorite games and I, too, am embarrassingly excited for RE6. But I can understand why some people would be pissed that Capcom doesn't care about making games for them anymore.

On the bright side, eventually some indie/small company is going to come along and make a great game to appeal to that niche.

It probably doesn't help that Capcom has been hemorrhaging talent like crazy over the last few years and anyone who helped make a decent old school Resident Evil game has jumped ship ages ago. Plus they've just kind of got a raging boner for getting sales numbers like Call of Duty and the like in the west but not actually having any clue how to actually manage that. Which is why we've got poo poo like Resident Evil Socom and Devil May Cry grimdark reboot.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Nohman posted:

It probably doesn't help that Capcom has been hemorrhaging talent like crazy over the last few years and anyone who helped make a decent old school Resident Evil game has jumped ship ages ago. Plus they've just kind of got a raging boner for getting sales numbers like Call of Duty and the like in the west but not actually having any clue how to actually manage that. Which is why we've got poo poo like Resident Evil Socom and Devil May Cry grimdark reboot.

Im not going to lie, the old games were fun, but we have had like 4 of them (5 if you want to count the first Dino Crisis). Im more interested in them trying something new, which i sort of got with ORC.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm fine with trying new things but ORC is the exact opposite direction I wanted to see it go. Not that I am butthurt about it though. It's just an offshoot so whatever.

Revs is where it's at. I'd love to see a big high production version of that as the next RE game. Mix up the action/horror. Not that it was scary or anything but it had a nice atmosphere.

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
Revelations actually scared the piss out of me in a couple of moments, I'm certainly not worried with where the serie is headed. Capcom seems to have good reasons for keeping it the way RE4 started.

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES
Anyone up for some Co-op ORC ?

GT: Slayer15977

Edit: is there a metatag for this game?

Slayer1597 fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 25, 2012

Duel
Jan 27, 2005

Schlegel Mach posted:

RE 4 was a great game and while RE 5 was not scary at any point in the game, I agree that they should try and reach more people because I want them to do well with this. Regardring RE 6 I think they confirmed at one point that Chris' scenario would be more action-y while Leons would be more fitted to the good old horror style although I have no link to back that up right now. In my head, the only way to reach those magical COD sales numbers would be to release some kind of Megaman Online title for pc/ps3/360 where you could build a Robot Master and battle others, or "simply" make an entirely brand new fps game and not change an existing franchise like RE to reach those numbers, but then again we're in 2012 and not 1993. I've never bothered with any fps at all besides from Metroid Prime 1, 2 and the first Dead Space, so Capcom should not listen to me anyway.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Policenaut posted:

I imagine it's a lot more expensive and intensive to create these kinds of games now. Back in the 90s/early 2000s all you had to do was draw up a CG image for environments, but now you have to fully design them. Don't really blame them for wanting to play it safe.

It's not so much that, as it's the rising cost of triple-A game development. Horror is an inherently limiting genre, and is regardless of the medium; it's had really big hits, the same as anything else, but many people just don't get it and never will, and of those who do, many come to a given work wanting very different, contradictory things. One of the reasons why survival horror as a genre has been moving so slowly for the last few years is because of that inherent limitation. There's a built-in hard cap on the horror audience.

They could sit down tomorrow and decide to make a full-speed-ahead, '90s-style horror game, because aside from Mikami and Hideki Kamiya, much of the behind-the-scenes talent on the past RE games is still at the company. Alternatively, they could go to whoever makes the Amnesia games with a big dump truck full of Street Fighter money and upend it on his lawn. That doesn't remove the hard cap, so you'd be spending a fair amount of development time and cash to, at the absolute best, break even.

D0ct0rAlanGrant
Aug 23, 2007

~My country is a complete embarrassment to world football and they deserve abuse from everyone at all times.~

~Handle your balls? Frenchmen can't resist!~
Anyone up for somr campaign shenanigans?

Gt: Its a trapzorz

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I picked up ORC a few days ago, haven't really gotten started on it yet. It was mainly an impulse buy because, hey, new Resident Evil title, why not? Then I started poking around and finding that it hasn't had the warmest reception. But still, seeing people've been having fun with it in here has bolstered my resolve to give it a shot.

I'm up for some Campaign, though as I said, I haven't played at all yet, so just a heads up when I start dying a lot/making stupid mistakes.

GT: Lone Wolf 047

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon
Finally the online started working for me. You guys weren't lying about it being worth the frustration.

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
I keep putting up rooms for beginning a new campaign on normal and no one ever joins or I am not finding them. I'm on PS3-- is it just awful match making or should I change the difficulty?

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES

W.T. Fits posted:

I picked up ORC a few days ago, haven't really gotten started on it yet. It was mainly an impulse buy because, hey, new Resident Evil title, why not? Then I started poking around and finding that it hasn't had the warmest reception. But still, seeing people've been having fun with it in here has bolstered my resolve to give it a shot.

I'm up for some Campaign, though as I said, I haven't played at all yet, so just a heads up when I start dying a lot/making stupid mistakes.

GT: Lone Wolf 047

Yo, if you are on XBOX I am headed home from work right now, and I should be up for some sexy goon weiner touching.

GT:Slayer15977

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

blackguy32 posted:

Also the biggest point of idiocy in the campaign is when Umbrella leaves them for dead and pretty much actively trying to kill them. So what does your team do? They go right back to working for Umbrella in the next level.

How far in is this?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Slayer1597 posted:

Yo, if you are on XBOX I am headed home from work right now, and I should be up for some sexy goon weiner touching.

GT:Slayer15977

Just tried shooting you an invite, says it couldn't do it 'cause your friends list is full.

Edit: Oh yeah, and it really is pretty fun if you've got at least one other person running around there with you.

Also, Nikolai is a dick. :argh:

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I don't think I'm going to be able to bring myself to shoot Leon.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

After the bullshit you have to go through to get at him in the end, I was more than glad to pull the trigger. No seriously, what the gently caress Leon. gently caress you and your awful Spec Ops barricade that you have to destroy with Crimson Heads.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

ApexAftermath posted:

How far in is this?

I think it happens at the end of level 5? Its right after the level where you face the two tyrants. Your team is pissed that Umbrella left them to die, and then in the next mission, you just forget about the whole thing to go destroy evidence in Birkin's lab.

Also, anyone on Xbox down to play some versus later? What would be better for versus? The ravager or the mob special?

Also its just so much easier to let Leon live because he is a dick to fight against.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

blackguy32 posted:

I think it happens at the end of level 5? Its right after the level where you face the two tyrants. Your team is pissed that Umbrella left them to die, and then in the next mission, you just forget about the whole thing to go destroy evidence in Birkin's lab.

Also, anyone on Xbox down to play some versus later? What would be better for versus? The ravager or the mob special?

Also its just so much easier to let Leon live because he is a dick to fight against.

Mob Special. One of the big deals I find in Versus is that I run out of ammo fast in a clip at the worst times, and a lot of cases you end up in close range with enemies, so being able to shoot longer and have more spread helps out. Plus if you've got Lupo, you can increase reload speeds by 100% and activate infinite ammo so you can just unload.

I beat Leon without taking a single hit though. You take the sniper rifle located at the little room at the top of the stairs from where you start then kill the two soldiers, then you can just snipe at Leon as he cowers in cover. I went the entire fight sniping at him across the map while he tried to shoot across it with his assault rifle. Granted it took like almost all my ammo but I did it.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Policenaut posted:

Mob Special. One of the big deals I find in Versus is that I run out of ammo fast in a clip at the worst times, and a lot of cases you end up in close range with enemies, so being able to shoot longer and have more spread helps out. Plus if you've got Lupo, you can increase reload speeds by 100% and activate infinite ammo so you can just unload.

I beat Leon without taking a single hit though. You take the sniper rifle located at the little room at the top of the stairs from where you start then kill the two soldiers, then you can just snipe at Leon as he cowers in cover. I went the entire fight sniping at him across the map while he tried to shoot across it with his assault rifle. Granted it took like almost all my ammo but I did it.

Yeah, but that ending afterwards is just brutal. :negative:

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Well, for those who are trying to get the S+ achievement/trophies, here's a little interesting thing on the S+ ranking

Basically to sum it up, the S+ is indeed possible on Veteran (just as the trophy description says), however it's actually probably easier to do it on Professional because of how the scoring is done. :psyduck:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Revitalized posted:

Well, for those who are trying to get the S+ achievement/trophies, here's a little interesting thing on the S+ ranking

Basically to sum it up, the S+ is indeed possible on Veteran (just as the trophy description says), however it's actually probably easier to do it on Professional because of how the scoring is done. :psyduck:

And this guy did it by himself?! :psyduck:

God drat, that's nuts.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You know the biggest problem ORC seems to have, is having to many functions mapped to one drat button.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Alteisen posted:

You know the biggest problem ORC seems to have, is having to many functions mapped to one drat button.

Agreed. The number of times I've dropped my gun trying to revive a fallen teammate is infuriating.

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS

citizenlowell posted:

Agreed. The number of times I've dropped my gun trying to revive a fallen teammate is infuriating.

This is really the only one that I can think of, but to be fair it is really, REALLY loving annoying.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Dodging instinctively would be so much easier if I didn't need L3 for it.

Anyways, I just played the gayest game of Survivor ever. It was just me and this Beltway versus a squad of four dudes who were all pretty good. We're just getting blown apart and basically the helicopter lands but they don't get on it. They just circle the helicopter and just guard it, to stop me and my team (two more joined in mid-game) from getting in. Sure enough, my team can't seem to break through for some reason.

I was like half asleep and just not wanting to give a gently caress anymore so I just took the long way around once I realized they weren't going to board the helicopter. I came up behind them and just got on the heli. All of a sudden they drop all the poo poo they were doing and scramble for the remaining 3 seats.

I thought that was kind of amusing that all of sudden they were just like "haha gently caress you guys there's only 3 seats left and one of them is MINE"

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I just finished ORC. I rented it from redbox about 4 hours ago. The length didn't bother me at all , it was a very good rental game. What bothers me is that after I finished it, in the stats screen, there was a stat for "zombie shields used". I would've appreciated the game telling me that I could do that. Then again, I would also appreciate being able to revive my teammate without dropping and picking up my weapon 400 plus times. Also, is there some kind of secret to fighting those drat tyrants? It must be the fact that I played with the ridiculously stupid A.I., but it took upwards of 20 minutes to kill those god drat things.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Oh yea, I should add my GT here now that I'm back on Xbox.

GT is AchyHippo, up for anything, I'll be playing the campaign for awhile in my efforts to get better guns and skills before I try the PvP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joneswt
Feb 22, 2011

Untrustable posted:

Also, is there some kind of secret to fighting those drat tyrants? It must be the fact that I played with the ridiculously stupid A.I., but it took upwards of 20 minutes to kill those god drat things.

Shoot them in the face. Their immaculately well-tailored trenchcoats are bulletproof.

Also, the game is about 4x as fun with at least one other human to play with.