Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Charmmi posted:

Did these come peeled already? Were they sliced? Was it an egg by itself or served as a side to accompany something? Were there pictures? If there weren't you should go back and take pictures.

I want a place like that here, in my most fantastical daydreams it's what we turn Chin's Cafe into.

Cracked but not peeled, whole. I saw other people order them while I was waiting for the to go order and they didn't seem to be accompanying anything else. I just peeled and ate it by itself when I came home. The impression I got from the wikipedia article is that they're just a snack food normally, and that seems to be what they were served as here. Next time I have a party I'm definitely considering making a batch, seems pretty simple with some strong black tea, five spice and soy sauce.
They're big on the ala cart concept there, it would seem.
The most expensive thing on the menu was a hot pot special and the rice dish specials at $8.
I'll grab some pictures next time I'm there. It was a mostly undecorated, single white room with a tile floor, soda machine in one corner with the syrup and CO2 canisters out in plain view, a basic counter, a table with a hot box containing the tea eggs, some random cakes and things, and a steamer box containing a bunch of different bao. Cheap generic tables and chairs, no silverware, just chopsticks and Chinese soup spoons. Salt, pepper, soy sauce, sriracha and black vinegar.

We've gotten some really fantastic real Chinese food recently, like, a Chinese business student at the University missed hot pot from back home and opened this place: http://www.yelp.com/biz/impress-hot-pot-tucson
It is now so popular you have to wait an hour or two to get a seat at peak times. I think it may slow down a tad when it hits 115 outside, though.

Tea egg snipe:

They actually looked almost exactly like this.

I like turtles fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Mmm, pickled eggs are always good. My ma makes a really nice Korean version where she boils sticks of flank steak and sliced garlic cloves in soy sauce and sugar, then sticks in peeled, boiled eggs after it cooled a bit. Then the whole mess goes into the fridge to sit for a week or so. Nice side dish that can serve as a whole meal with just a bowl of rice. My sister and I used to fight over the slices of egg.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Re: flour, gently caress bittman. I'll accurate it a bit to compensate.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Acidulate. Added a little lemon, tastes right up until the end. Maybe heat it a little to cook the flour?

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

Vegetable Melange posted:

Acidulate. Added a little lemon, tastes right up until the end. Maybe heat it a little to cook the flour?

You'd need a solid 15-20 minutes to cook out that raw flour taste. How much did you make? Can you scrap and start w/o the flour?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I got a couch. It's the second most expensive thing I've ever bought (after my car). I feel like a grownup.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
My couches cost less than some of my pots (Ikea).

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
That looks like a very comfy couch. I hate my couch, but don't want to invest in a new one right now. I'm muave with jealousy.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Phummus posted:

You'd need a solid 15-20 minutes to cook out that raw flour taste. How much did you make? Can you scrap and start w/o the flour?

Half a cup, it went well with the homemade sausage. Helps if your audience is a few bottles deep.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Phummus posted:

That looks like a very comfy couch. I hate my couch, but don't want to invest in a new one right now. I'm muave with jealousy.

Build a couch.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

Drink and Fight posted:

I got a couch. It's the second most expensive thing I've ever bought (after my car). I feel like a grownup.

When friends stay at my place without me I have one rule: don't bang on my couch. I love it more than life ( I hate life atm)

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Drink and Fight posted:

Need a bigger couch for that cat.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Re: flour, gently caress bittman. I'll accurate it a bit to compensate.

lol

are you goddamn serious?

bittman made a mustard recipe that involved flour?

my ire for that fag grows stronger every goddamn moment.

anyways, I made my first mustard too about 2 weeks ago! highfive.

I basically scraped what I could from several recipies I found on the web, and ended up :

grinding about half a cup of black and yellow mustard seeds in a mortar and pestle until powdery, but still with wholegrains

using ice-cold water/whitewine to hydrate the mustard concoction. my research on the internet said something about water activating enzymes which uhhh, I don't know, turned the bitter stuff in mustard seeds into searingly hot horseradishy stuff. I tasted 1 second in, and it was just bitter and nasty. 25 minutes in, it was less bitter and a bit spicy.

so then I added salt and pepper, a bit more liquid (white wine), some sugar, garlic, et cetera, until it tasted sort of ok but bitter. I let it sit for like a week, tasted it, and it was on par with the best whole grain mustard I've ever had, so I guess it just takes time to fix the bitterness.

anyways lmao flour? in mustard? I mean I'm no mustard expert, but seriously, what?

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
When the hell is ICSA Mustard happening??

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

CuddleChunks posted:

Need a bigger couch for that cat.

It's his couch now.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

My wife sold her motorbike to buy our sofa. At the time, I decried her for getting old, but it was the right decision. It's so comfortable!

Also:

sweat poteto posted:

When the hell is ICSA Mustard happening??

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.

Drink and Fight posted:

Dude you need to train your cat, it's getting cat hair on your brand new couch

Also, another thing for the mindphlux hatelist: flour in mustard

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

I just made my first mustard, and I think I did it wrong. Ground organic yellow mustard, salt, whole wheat flour, belgan blonde wheat ale to incorporate. It tastes a little floury, so I popped in some smoked paprika to balance it out. Dijon it's not, but it's mustard. Tips?

Are you sure it said whole wheat flour, and not mustard flour?

Otherwise this is a wrong recipe!

My basic recipe: Coarsely ground up mustard seeds + mustard flour + water (just a bit) + sea salt + pinch of sugar

Tip: Zest of lime
Tip: Zest of lemon
Tip: Smoked salt
Tip: Mint (it is good)
Tip: Horseradish
Tip: Thyme (fuckton of it)
Tip: Apple cider vinegar instead of water
Tip: Terragon (oh god.. and add in some chervil too)
Tip: Garlic confit

A Gremlin Eel
Jun 29, 2006

Well, it was a nice idea while it lasted, I suppose.

Darval posted:

Dude you need to train your cat, it's getting cat hair on your brand new couch

Also, another thing for the mindphlux hatelist: flour in mustard

Things currently not on the mindphlux hatelist:
Mindphlux
Prok's mom (mondays and wednesdays)
Fire

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Camping in the rain at a race track right now and there is no fire or couch or even mustard at the moment. This has even Mountain Man Wiggles seriously considering getting a camper.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

<gravity> yay queef

lol

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

Are you sure it said whole wheat flour, and not mustard flour?

Otherwise this is a wrong recipe!

My basic recipe: Coarsely ground up mustard seeds + mustard flour + water (just a bit) + sea salt + pinch of sugar

Tip: Zest of lime
Tip: Zest of lemon
Tip: Smoked salt
Tip: Mint (it is good)
Tip: Horseradish
Tip: Thyme (fuckton of it)
Tip: Apple cider vinegar instead of water
Tip: Terragon (oh god.. and add in some chervil too)
Tip: Garlic confit
That sounds great. Can you use black mustard seeds?

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
I don't get the Bittman hate. Here's his actual mustard recipe:

Recipe:

Grainy Mustard
By Mark Bittman
From the How to Cook Everything for iPhone® app

Introduction:

You'll be amazed at how easy, cheap, and good homemade mustard is. Plus, you can customize the flavor many ways with minor adjustments; see the list that follows. Make sure, though, to mix yellow mustard seeds with brown or black, or the results will be too harsh. To make a faster—though undeniably sharper and less subtle—mustard, use a spice grinder or coffee mill to grind the mustard seeds into a coarse powder, then slowly stir in the liquids until you get the consistency you want (you might have to add a little more). Sprinkle with salt and serve immediately or keep as you would any mustard.
Ingredients:

¼ cup yellow mustard seeds (about 1½ ounces)
¼ cup brown or black mustard seeds (about 1½ ounces)
½ cup red wine or water
½ cup sherry vinegar or malt vinegar (or any vinegar with at least 5 percent acidity; see Everyday Vinegars)
Pinch salt
Steps:

Put all the ingredients in a jar with a tight‐fitting lid or other sealed glass or ceramic container. (Don't use metal; it will corrode.) Shake or stir, then set aside to soak for a day or two.
Put the mixture in a blender and purée for several minutes to grind, adding a little extra water as needed to keep the machine running. Stop and scrape the sides down once or twice and repeat. You'll never get the mustard as smooth as Dijon, but you can control the coarseness by how long you blend. Taste and add more salt if you like.
Return the mustard to the container and cover tightly. Store in a cool, dark place (or refrigerate) for up to several months. The mustard will be quite sharp at first, but it will thicken and mellow with time.
Courtesy of John Wiley & Sons. Copyright © Double B Publishing Inc. All rights reserved.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

I used the English-style recipe from Everything, and it did call for flour. Chef at work said it functions as a stabilizer.

The hate stems from the fact that he's a demagogue and he hangs out with that vespa-riding, tip stealing ginger.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

The hate stems from the fact that he's a demagogue and he hangs out with that vespa-riding, tip stealing ginger.

:lol:

So the orlando food scene around my hotel is pretty decent. Everything is in strip malls or chain-looking places but I have had some really excellent meals, including an italian restaurant last night where I gorged on smelt and osso bucco, was rad.

I want to go back to new york so badly :smith:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Test Pattern posted:

I don't get the Bittman hate. Here's his actual mustard recipe:

Recipe:

If the recipe I followed is right, bittman is still sort of wrong, flour aside -

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2010/10/making-homemade-mustard-easier-than-you-think/64871/

calls for adding water/wine for a while before adding the vinegar. and from experience, I know it's loving impossible to 'use immediately' as bittman suggests. mustard is bitter as hell for 6-12 hours after you make it.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
GWS Culinary Chat: Cooking is Physics, Enamel is Voodoo, Bittman is Wrong

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Mindphlux is bitter.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've never made mustard, but uncooked flour doesn't belong in anything.

In conclusion, eat the eggs ricola.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Mindphlux is bitter.
Haters be hatin'.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

uncooked flour doesn't belong in anything.

How do you even eat things with uncooked flour? Like, wouldn't they be horrible and powdery and.. ugh, I started thinking about it and started scraping my tongue with my teeth because it just sounds bad.

Mustard talk: I like mustard, I want to try more mustard, what kind of mustard should I try? Because mustard is awesome.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

How do you even eat things with uncooked flour? Like, wouldn't they be horrible and powdery and.. ugh, I started thinking about it and started scraping my tongue with my teeth because it just sounds bad.

Mustard talk: I like mustard, I want to try more mustard, what kind of mustard should I try? Because mustard is awesome.

try making it re: the link I posted above. I was really surprised as how well mine turned out.

I've had this idealized 'form of mustard' floating in my head for a couple years, and it was nice to try my hand at putting it into existence. I wouldn't say I succeeded, but I wouldn't say I failed either...

but to answer your question - you've probably had it, but if you haven't, try inglehoffer's stone ground - it's my favorite big name commercial brand. http://www.amazon.com/Inglehoffer-Mustard-10-Ounce-Squeezable-Bottles/dp/B000EY3OMS

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

How do you even eat things with uncooked flour?

Cookie dough. Cake batter. When are you PCSing back to civilization?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

you left out play doh :v:

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

In conclusion, eat the eggs ricola.

With mustard.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Back when I did my ICSA, I wanted to do mustard. But mustard makes my wife nauseous, and she was highly displeased. Since I am whipped, I knuckled under and did oats.

I thought about doing "Battle: Curry" too, but I couldn't come up with a good enough definition of "curry." Everything I thought of was either so narrow that it excluded everything but Indian food, or so broad it included things like chili.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

mindphlux posted:

try making it re: the link I posted above. I was really surprised as how well mine turned out.

I've had this idealized 'form of mustard' floating in my head for a couple years, and it was nice to try my hand at putting it into existence. I wouldn't say I succeeded, but I wouldn't say I failed either...

but to answer your question - you've probably had it, but if you haven't, try inglehoffer's stone ground - it's my favorite big name commercial brand. http://www.amazon.com/Inglehoffer-Mustard-10-Ounce-Squeezable-Bottles/dp/B000EY3OMS

I've had grey poupon and the stuff that comes in a yellow squirt bottle next to the heinz ketchup (I cannot for the life of me think of what brand that is). All I've had is lovely mustard, but it tastes so good. I am going to try that mustard. And I'll likely try that recipe too.

Wroughtirony posted:

Cookie dough. Cake batter. When are you PCSing back to civilization?

If the military has it's way? Never. :unsmith: But at least here I can get cool mexican food and there's always produce at the commissary. And it isn't full of mold or bugs or god knows what the hell that brownish greenish spot was that I spotted on a potato once.

There are apples, oranges, strawberries, cucumber, zucchini, spinach and all sorts of other fresh things in my fridge and I've basically been living on them all week. It's outstanding.

And you be quiet. Cake batter and cookie dough are totally sugar, not flour. (we need a :denial: )

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I really like mustard but have a hard time using it much outside of meating, and as i cook vegetarian at home, there isn't much scope for it. I have added English mustard to mashed potato (esp for colcannon), which is good, and it goes into salad dressings, but I can't think of any other vegetarian mustard uses.

I made lentil muck last night, which I hadn't done for ages; I had forgotten how amazingly tasty it is, especially given the level of cost and effort. (Very healthy too).

Rinse some green, brown or Puy lentils.
Bring to the boil with some stock, a few bay leaves, and some whole peeled garlic cloves.
Simmer until done (i.e., lentils have reached desired tenderness. 25-30 mins or so).
Drain, and remove garlic and bay.
Add olive oil, salt, pepper, and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Chop in some fresh parsley or other herbs if you have the inclination and they are lying about (I didn't, and it was still good).

For such a simple dish, it provides a huge mount of excellent flavour. I love it. Main wife mixed in the last of the harissa-roasted tomatoes.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
That lentil muck is even better if you take Greek/strained yogurt, add some salt and fresh garlic, then top the muck with that yogurt.

BTW, vegetarian uses for mustard:

1) pretzels (the thick baked kind, not the crunchy kind in the potato chip section)

2) tofu steak sandwiches (fry tofu slices to golden brown; put on a sub roll with fried onions, mushrooms, cheese, and mustard/ketchup)

3) the best vinaigrette!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
BTW, who is in charge of the Cook or Die threads?