Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Bicehunter posted:

Are there not like 6000 mods that has guns in them?
Yes, and the moment you want it to be more than a mod you're trying to turn Minecraft into Call of Duty and are a bad, bad person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Speaking of mods, it'd be super if we could get an actual mod API or something available soon. I've tried using the coder pack but it takes forever for it to update and it's usually a confusing mess.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Miijhal posted:

Yes, and the moment you want it to be more than a mod you're trying to turn Minecraft into Call of Duty and are a bad, bad person.

With guns though, you could have a buckshot recipe made out of gravel or something and then we'd finally have a use for all that gravel. :(

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Jamesman posted:

With guns though, you could have a buckshot recipe made out of gravel or something and then we'd finally have a use for all that gravel. :(

Blunderbuss, Mo'Weapons, in both Technic and Yogbox

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I would be up for a SA Minecraft Survival Hardcore. I would need someone to co-commentate with me, because I'm boring as gently caress.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Color Printer posted:

Speaking of mods, it'd be super if we could get an actual mod API or something available soon. I've tried using the coder pack but it takes forever for it to update and it's usually a confusing mess.

Yeah, I gave up bothering with both using or developing mods because of the current state it's in. It's not that it's hard to install mods or even set things up for creating one, but it's so much more effort than should really be necessary.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010

HardDisk posted:

I would be up for a SA Minecraft Survival Hardcore. I would need someone to co-commentate with me, because I'm boring as gently caress.

I don't think people were planning on doing commentary. Just playing the same kind of game. I'd be interested in playing when someone gets a server up.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
Yeah, I would be really interested in one of them survival ultra-hardcore things too. Then again I would likely be the first one to die because my laggy internet+creeper=bye bye MyFaceBeHi!

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

I, too, am interested in an ultra-hardcore server.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Nenonen posted:

Also, Etho's faith on flint and steel against a player was pretty drat hilarious when it didn't even stop a zombie from giving him some serious hurt...

The worst part is watching that knowing that if Etho only used his bucket of lava instead, he would have lived.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
Count me in for one of them hardcore games, I haven't played in ages but it sounds fun

Captain Zeroth
Feb 24, 2007
Im a captain?!
This, combined with this and this would pretty much give us the same experience that is going on in the Minecrack competition.

I have a server that we could use, but it is currently broken :( (e: to be fixed in the next week). Does anyone else have a vacant server we could use?

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
If the SA Hardcore game is actually happening I am so in.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Color Printer posted:

They were talking about getting it out in April, but who really knows at this point. Right now it's such a pain and it's irritating me because I've got a couple ideas for more farming and decorative things, but :effort:.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Schwarzwald posted:

The worst part is watching that knowing that if Etho only used his bucket of lava instead, he would have lived.

Not thinking clearly in the heat of things, it's hard to talk and do at the same time.

From what I see, the ultra hardcore experience is different from regular FFA pvp. The biggest difference is that the pvp is over a matter of hours, not days as in FFA. This means it's pointless to put too much work on a base that can make renewable resources, at most some wheat/melons and maybe some chickens, but no tree farms (too slow). Instead, you want to be aggressively diving into the deep to find gold, obsidian, diamonds, getting into the nether for potions, and trying to end the games of people who have stagnated on their base.

The nomadic experience also calls for keeping their inventories clear of junk, and smelting down their ore in situ. No point stashing valuables if someone can just run in and take them. If they can hunt you down and work down your health bar, then they deserve the loot.

It also rules out many pure underground base strategies like grinding bonemeal, as you're not allowed to take damage. This means you will have to periodically climb aboveground to chop a few trees, as that gives the best resource:time ratio.

A turtly base-centric strategy is still highly defensive (because the attacker can't cover ground while shifting, but the defender can still move around his base while shifting), but will lose out in a game of attrition against someone kitted out with stolen gold and heal/harm potions.

It's a good dynamic, it seems that the best way to win is to aggressively expand and find resources with a high return on time investment, and the best way to not lose is to turtle back and work on resources with a low RoI. Hey, I like those kind of non-persistent games where everyone has the same starting strength and need to find the best way to gather resources into an unstoppable lead.

Edit: Though I like the idea of everyone bottlenecking at the nether, I'm not sure it's a great idea to make it purely a race for the netherwart. There should be at least several sources of wart in the nether, so it's not an all-or-nothing. The aggressive players will still have an advantage there. The rules will still need tweaking, the dudes on the Lost Shard server should have some good ideas.

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 25, 2012

Coach Sport
Jul 3, 2003
And we care about this shitty poster...why?
I don't know, SA is full of dudes that cheat at minecraft. Look at all the guys that have been banned from the Keepcraft server for x-raying and other hacks, its ridiculous the lengths some people will go to win at block game. You'd just end up with dudes digging straight to diamonds in the first 10 minutes and then tracking down the other players through walls and ruining their poo poo.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I'd be interested in doing the ultra hardcore map too if it ever goes up.

E: ^^^^^^^ Ultra Hardcore isn't just a map. It's also a mod which basically has you replace your .jar, if you noticed at the beginning of those videos people were linking they had trouble in the beginning because their texture packs no longer worked. I don't doubt someone could make an x-ray texture pack specifically for that, but a normal x-ray texture pack wouldn't work.

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 25, 2012

Captain Zeroth
Feb 24, 2007
Im a captain?!

Coach Sport posted:

I don't know, SA is full of dudes that cheat at minecraft. Look at all the guys that have been banned from the Keepcraft server for x-raying and other hacks, its ridiculous the lengths some people will go to win at block game. You'd just end up with dudes digging straight to diamonds in the first 10 minutes and then tracking down the other players through walls and ruining their poo poo.

Maybe we could get the other goon servers to pool a whitelist/blacklist?

Wrist Watch posted:

Ultra Hardcore isn't just a map. It's also a mod which basically has you replace your .jar ...

It wouldn't be hard to merge a couple of mods together given some time in advance. I was thinking of using just server-side mods anyway so that no one has to mod their jar's.

Captain Zeroth fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 25, 2012

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
http://0xcafebabe.com/scatter.jar

A guy on Reddit wrote this plugin that scatters players on spawn randomly so they're not within x space of each other and other goodies.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

I'd be absolutely in for some ultra hardcore.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
I don't see why these guys play ultra hardcore without trying to make a floor disappearing, obsidian bucket-filled with tnt switch trap that lets them taunt their opponent right before they flip the switch

preferably with a really obvious door and tons of torches on whatever hill they built their dwelling into to lure em' right in

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
I have an unused minecraft server, but I am located in Saskatchewan so the pings would probably be horrible.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I don't cheat at minecraft. Well, not on multi using hax anyway. About the worst I do is ask a mod for something if I'm kind of hosed or if I'm building something which requires a stupid amount of a resource, like the underground village I dug out on the penislandia server. Beta 1.7 I think? That took a _lot_ of picks to dig out that cavern. I turned the ground under the surface town into a confusing labyrinth of 2x1 tunnels scrounging for anything I could because my cavern excavation wasn't yielding enough resources. I did have a temporary tree farm down there where buildings hadn't been built, but anything less than iron picks was just too fiddly and slow.

Oh what I was going to say originally is I don't play it like a fantasy game. I don't touch the enchantments and that sort of poo poo. I enjoy the survival aspect and have a blast making functional structures and machines. What I would love in the game is some sort of sighted rifle though. I could play zombie apocalypse to my hearts content then.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Some SA Ultra hardcore would be a blast, are we thinking hostile players like the videos linked earlier, or just everyone spawns randomly and whoever joins in just sees what they can do / find / make?

If the latter, I'll have to spend my days trying to setup little equipment hubs to give new players that find them better odds of survival. :3:

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Mo_Steel posted:

Some SA Ultra hardcore would be a blast, are we thinking hostile players like the videos linked earlier, or just everyone spawns randomly and whoever joins in just sees what they can do / find / make?

If the latter, I'll have to spend my days trying to setup little equipment hubs to give new players that find them better odds of survival. :3:
Run both maybe? One with PVP on, one with PVP off? I'm not enough of a MC god that I wouldn't find hardcore PVE difficult.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I'd be down with that (I'll take absolutely everything not nailed down, and the nails, and the torches to attract mobs).

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

I would love to try my hand at this ultra hardcore mode the mindcrack guys are playing. I've only ever played co-op SMP.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I stand by what I said, wood makes the whole thing too easy. Remove wood and you force players to live off the land more.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

ColHannibal posted:

I stand by what I said, wood makes the whole thing too easy. Remove wood and you force players to live off the land more.
How will you make any tools at all, then?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Dibujante posted:

Run both maybe? One with PVP on, one with PVP off? I'm not enough of a MC god that I wouldn't find hardcore PVE difficult.

Yeah, the downside I just now thought of with PvP is that people on a while will have a huge advantage over new players.

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

One thing I like about those Ultra Hardcore videos was following the narrative across multiple players and having each of them tell an increasingly funny story. I figured Etho was a strong player, so to see him worry about and get killed by Pause made me switch to Pause's video to see an awesome PvPer work. Except Pause turned out to be paranoid about everything and crashed and burned immediately after killing Etho. Then the guy who kills him, who's apparently awesome enough to tame a wolf in Ultra Hardcore, got the wolf by sheer luck and felt it was a giant pain in the rear end up until it killed Pause. I'm glad I watched them in the order I did.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Dibujante posted:

How will you make any tools at all, then?

If he means using tools to destroy wood blocks you could get a creeper to explode near a tree. If he means no wood at all well then that's different

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The whole reason that series is fantastic is because it's just a giant comedy of errors. I'm pretty glad there's no super skilled players who do minecraft PvP 80 hours a week (i'm sure there's some people like this who exist). Everyone had Paul as going out really early because he's never done anything remotely like this, it was awesome watching him kill Pause.

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan
At one point, while scrounging for iron, one of the player mentioned that by that point Etho probably had full diamond gear and enchantments/potions. He was exaggerating, of course, but it's funny to see how terrified everyone is that the other players are all just powergaming their way ahead of them.

Captain Zeroth
Feb 24, 2007
Im a captain?!

Dibujante posted:

It's not hardcore without PVP. :yarr:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Have you seen the enormous stacks of diamonds that Etho's accumulated on his SP worlds? I'm pretty sure he's insane.

Though in those worlds he has days to grind. Here he has mere minutes to an hour. Plus there's a gentleman's agreement not to sperg out and branch mine.

In other words, there better be a way to stop the people investing twice as many hours as anyone else from dominating the game.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I think a lot of people think Etho is one of the best MC players, obviously I don't know about the best but he is very good, he thinks carefully and it seems like every time he plays RFW his team wins. Not to mention he's defeated Vechs maps with only a dozen deaths or so.

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~
I'm signing up for Minefold hosting and it says I get 10 free hours. Does this mean I have 10 hours until they cancel the world, or I have 10 free hours of play?

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
I'm in for the hardcore Minecraft. Seems like the type of thing to get me back into minecraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Sol
Feb 13, 2012
A hardcore survival game would be great, especially with some sort of goal to speed up players coming into contact with one another. Something like go to some predetermined far-off coordinate, build a base and defend it, king-of-the-hill style.

Or simply just a smaller map size. I'd imagine that once it got to the final two people, it would take forever for them to find one another on a 2000x2000 map.