Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just beat the game. Everything up to getting back on the Citadel was great. I chose synthesis. The other endings aren't any better are they. And for gently caress's sake why was it the kid. The games spell out that the geth are nothing like the Reapers, why other than so you don't always choose Kill Reapers is that included in the destroy ending?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I just beat the game. Everything up to getting back on the Citadel was great. I chose synthesis. The other endings aren't any better are they.

No

None of them are any "better" check the spoiler thread if you really want to know more.

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.

RBA Starblade posted:

I just beat the game. Everything up to getting back on the Citadel was great. I chose synthesis. The other endings aren't any better are they.

Unfortunately not, though Shep can live if you choose Destroy and your Assets are high enough.

Calypso Hippo
Dec 29, 2008

Free Air! No Oppression!
Do weapon upgrades affect your squad weapons as well? Should I be buying all of the upgrades for their specific weapons or is there no point?

Cleatcleat
Mar 27, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

I just beat the game. Everything up to getting back on the Citadel was great. I chose synthesis. The other endings aren't any better are they. And for gently caress's sake why was it the kid. The games spell out that the geth are nothing like the Reapers, why other than so you don't always choose Kill Reapers is that included in the destroy ending?

End game choice spoilers.

The correct option is to Destroy, assuming you have high assets. The point of the collective 3 games is to kill the Reapers because they have commited crimes against the galaxy for untold millions of years. It also the option Anderson wanted to do and they show you a little scene of him doing it if able. Also the kid says the Geth will die as well, but that isn't true, it's only the Reaper upgrade that Legion gives the Geth that dies. The Geth will still be around, just slightly dumber. Control and Synthesis have a host of their own problems that would need more time to get into, but Destroy is pretty much the best ending with high assets.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Cleatcleat posted:

End game choice spoilers.

The correct option is to Destroy, assuming you have high assets. The point of the collective 3 games is to kill the Reapers because they have commited crimes against the galaxy for untold millions of years. It also the option Anderson wanted to do and they show you a little scene of him doing it if able. Also the kid says the Geth will die as well, but that isn't true, it's only the Reaper upgrade that Legion gives the Geth that dies. The Geth will still be around, just slightly dumber. Control and Synthesis have a host of their own problems that would need more time to get into, but Destroy is pretty much the best ending with high assets.

No...Destroy is pretty clearly stated to destroy all synthetic life. Including the Geth and EDI. And it doesn't solve the problem of synthetic life eventually killing all organic life.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

A goon made a program to create a Mass Effect 1 character to import into ME2, selecting the outcomes from ME1. Does anyone know where I can find it?

Not this one: http://social.bioware.com/project/4373/

There was a simpler version which let you easily make a save with the major plot flags modified and only them, it was much simpler and easier to use.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Cbouncerrun posted:

No...Destroy is pretty clearly stated to destroy all synthetic life. Including the Geth and EDI. And it doesn't solve the problem of synthetic life eventually killing all organic life.

While I agree with you, I'm not sure if it's a glitch or not, but apparently EDI can emmerge from the crashed Normandy at the end of the Destroy option. With high enough war assets you also get a 5 second clip that implies Shepard survives as well (which I assumed was just an easter egg because you can only get it by grinding both SP war assets and MP readiness). A lot of people have very strongly taken to those two things as proof that Reaper kid was lying off his rear end about the total the destruction of synthetics.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Diogines posted:

A goon made a program to create a Mass Effect 1 character to import into ME2, selecting the outcomes from ME1. Does anyone know where I can find it?

Not this one: http://social.bioware.com/project/4373/

There was a simpler version which let you easily make a save with the major plot flags modified and only them, it was much simpler and easier to use.
That would be the unmodified one from:

http://mod.gib.me/masseffect2/saveedit_rev25.zip

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

That is not it, it was graphical and only adjusted the major plot points, origin and gender, that was it. I recall watching the ME2 launch thread when a good made it.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

You should probably take this to the spoiler thread but Control is the "paragon" ending since it's blue colored, and arguably it's the best ending since it doesn't gently caress with people's DNA or kill off an entire sentient species. Shepard's will is just passed into the reapers and they leave. Also, the Citadel doesn't blow up.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Diogines posted:

That is not it, it was graphical and only adjusted the major plot points, origin and gender, that was it. I recall watching the ME2 launch thread when a good made it.
I never made one like that, are you misremembering the one I made for Dragon Age 2?

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.

messagemode1 posted:

You should probably take this to the spoiler thread but Control is the "paragon" ending since it's blue colored, and arguably it's the best ending since it doesn't gently caress with people's DNA or kill off an entire sentient species. Shepard's will is just passed into the reapers and they leave. Also, the Citadel doesn't blow up.

I disagree. Anderson is definitely the more Paragon person and is shown doing the "red" ending (Destroy), which makes me feel like it's the Paragon one despite the colors, while Renegade TIM goes with the "blue" Control. A disconnect like that makes me (and I think a lot of people) question if everything the starchild says is true.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

You may not have been the one to make it, I don't know, but I am certain it was made by a goon, I watched the ME2 launch thread closely and I loved it.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Cbouncerrun posted:

Can't they just rebuild synthetic life sraight after? Jeffs cameltoe girlfriend isn't a huge loss for wiping out the robo space lobsters.

E: Although, what does it mean by synthetics? AI or robotics in general?

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Cbouncerrun posted:

Hmm, Drone Mastery or Power Mastery for an Engineer? I like the idea of having my drone and turret be more durable and do more damage, but I'm not sure how useful that'll be in the end when they mostly just serve as a distraction and can be recast when they die anyway.

Also, should I bother taking the shock attack for the turret, and how useful is the flamethrower really?
To be honest I really couldn't justify the points spent in either drone & turret for an engineer. Straight up they don't last long enough to be much of a distraction and are good for piss weak damage output - you're way better off blowing your points in chain Overload, Incinerate, Sabotage( for Geth, turrets and atlases ) and the AP ammo bonus power. Couple all of that with an upgraded Mattock and you're good to go to take on all comers.

Cleatcleat
Mar 27, 2010

Cbouncerrun posted:

More end game choice spoiler.

Not for me. My first time I had pretty average assets, 7100 total but -50% after readiness, the kid said if I remember right Geth, EDI, synthetics blah blah will die and even me as well. On NG+ after I already maxed out readiness from playing multiplayer I went in with 7100 war assets with 96% readiness. The kid told me that the Geth will die and that I might die as well. Except in my endings Shepard woke up in the rubble, EDI stepped out of the Normandy, and when I remember back at the Rannoch missions Legion states the Geth will use/used Reaper codes to upgrade themselves. Considering one of the choices of the Crucible is to re-write all dna of all things in the galaxy to be a perfect mixture of organic and synthetic, I can safely assume that the Destroy ending can purposely target only Reaper aspects and thus let the Geth live but slightly dumber / more robotic without the Reaper upgrades just like in ME2 and ME1.

Also Synthesis ending doesn't change that problem either. People build robots to do tasks they don't want to do. This is how the Geth came to be. Quarians kept making Geth more complicated into order to do more tasks better. And we all saw how that worked out. The cycle will always happen unless all people suddenly decide for themselves to always do tasks themselves and not have robots do it for them. As for Control, assuming the Kid is truthful in his statement that "Yes." when asked if the Reapers will obey... Then perhapds Shepard could police the galaxy to make sure no more wars happen while letting all races retain their personal freedoms instead of forced into a hivemind by Synthesis ending.

Cleatcleat fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 26, 2012

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Flipswitch posted:

Can't they just rebuild synthetic life sraight after? Jeffs cameltoe girlfriend isn't a huge loss for wiping out the robo space lobsters.

E: Although, what does it mean by synthetics? AI or robotics in general?

It doesn't say, nor does it provide a reasonable basis for inference, which is part of the problem.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Bongo Bill posted:

It doesn't say, nor does it provide a reasonable basis for inference, which is part of the problem.
And if EDI can walk away from the crashed Normandy at the end of it all, it just suggests that the Starchild was full of poo poo anyhow.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I'm pretty sure it's just Bioware being dumb and not writing a check to make sure that character doesn't emerge with that ending, not some subtle hint that the starchild was lying. Occam's Razor, people.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

GruntyThrst posted:

I'm pretty sure it's just Bioware being dumb and not writing a check to make sure that character doesn't emerge with that ending, not some subtle hint that the starchild was lying. Occam's Razor, people.
Correct. The bits I looked at show that it looks for a henchmen with the following preferences: best friend, good friend, sidekick, true love (not necessarily in that order).

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

gibbed posted:

Correct. The bits I looked at show that it looks for a henchmen with the following preferences: best friend, good friend, sidekick, true love (not necessarily in that order).

I enjoy that they label it ~true love~~~~

Also why isn't Best Friend just labeled Garrus?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

GruntyThrst posted:

I enjoy that they label it ~true love~~~~

You would expect them to have your ME2 love interest that you dumped to be labelled as "occasional gently caress-buddy."

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20
If the check works that way, why did Ashley and James walk out on my first playthrough? I never took Ashley after Mars nor James after Palaven.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's at least partly based on how many times you interact with them, I think.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

GruntyThrst posted:

Are you insinuating that people latching onto every single minor inconsistency easily explainable by simple reasons as all adding up into an epic conspiracy that Shepard hallucinated the entire ending and that DON'T WORRY PEOPLE EVERYTHING'S GOING TO BE ALL RIGHT are in the throes of insane hysterics?

Because I want to insinuate that.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Ambiguatron posted:

If the check works that way, why did Ashley and James walk out on my first playthrough? I never took Ashley after Mars nor James after Palaven.

You probably progressed the most through their conversation lines.

Edit:
VVVV Maybe it's by alternate costume choice then?? Maybe James has a Robin suit that gets him the sidekick title.

HenessyHero fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 26, 2012

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20

HenessyHero posted:

You probably progressed the most through their conversation lines.

I never talked to either of them. When Ashley was in a hangover I left her lame rear end on the floor.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Cowcaster posted:

Are you insinuating that people latching onto every single minor inconsistency easily explainable by simple reasons as all adding up into an epic conspiracy that Shepard hallucinated the entire ending and that DON'T WORRY PEOPLE EVERYTHING'S GOING TO BE ALL RIGHT are in the throes of insane hysterics?

Yeah, pretty much.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Cowcaster posted:

Hey now, if my ending has all the good guys live, the bad guys die and I ignore the charnel house that was the Citadel then there's no need for hysterics on my behalf.

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

GruntyThrst posted:

It's pretty definitely this, because the people that I took on my run to the beam who should be dead, back in London or both came out in my game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Scuzzywuffit posted:

It's pretty definitely this, because the people that I took on my run to the beam who should be dead, back in London or both came out in my game.

Did you have an EMS under ~3000, because that's the threshold where it actually shows your squadmates die en route to the beam. Otherwise it's just Shepard soloing it.

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Did you have an EMS under ~3000, because that's the threshold where it actually shows your squadmates die en route to the beam. Otherwise it's just Shepard soloing it.

I didn't, but didn't Major Coates say everyone on the ground died? And even if they hung back or something, why would they have just bailed back to the Normandy instead of making another push for the beam since Harbinger floated away after he lased me?

That was actually the part of the ending that hit me the hardest, because I was like, "Oh god, oh god, I took Garrus with me for one last mission because we were space bros, did I just get him killed?" and I was stumbling around searching the ground for his body.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Thats the inconsistency about the ending that pisses me off the most.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Snicker-Snack posted:

The firing range targets aren't affected by a bunch of stuff (including ammo powers), you should use them to get a feel for the weapons, but precise damage comparisons can't be done there.

Are you sure? I tried incendiary, disruptor, and armor-piercing ammo and those all seemed to have the expected effects against the different targets...just not warp ammo.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009

Morbus posted:

Are you sure? I tried incendiary, disruptor, and armor-piercing ammo and those all seemed to have the expected effects against the different targets...just not warp ammo.

The ammo powers work on them. I think Snicker means that damage comparisons can't be done with certain weapons because they can one-shot the targets. At that point, all you can really do is count how many targets you dispatch before the clip runs out. You still won't know how much stronger one weapon is compared to another. All you really know is that the weapons can do enough damage to one-shot a target with a single bar of health/armor/shields. Keep in mind most enemies in the game have a combination of both.

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
HAY GUYS WHAT IS TEH INTERWEBNET, AND ISN'T A0L the SECKZ!? :LOL: 1337
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER
Yeah the firing range definitely makes it appear that the incendiary ammo upgrade that adds explosive damage is so much better than the +10% damage boost. I'm not sure if this is true or really noticible outside of the firing range.

The tempest x specced with lightweight v and heavy barrel v, takes more than entire clip to kill the armored target even with inferno ammo. But with explosive specced version it kills it in like 7 bullets. However, against real enemies, I don't notice it make a big enough difference.

The scorpion is also apparently mega broken. If you blast the center target with the scorpion 7 with the heavy barrel mod it kills ALL 3 targets.

So what is the consensus on the best bonus skills to use?
Of the 3 shields I think barrier is probably the best. The 30% damage reduction is all too useful in insanity where being out of cover is suicide. Barrier gets +25% to force and damage making it in my mind better than fortification, and the defense matrix only boosts tech powers. Downside the blue aura looks incredibly stupid. The blast is so pathetic you can use it as a last resort if nova doesn't kill everything. However, its best to just keep it on. Specced for 200% cool downs you'll never need anything else.

weaaddar fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 26, 2012

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010

Morbus posted:

RickDaedalus posted:

I think Snicker means that damage...

Oops, sorry, my bad. I was just wrong.

Other ammo powers do work on them, but Warp Ammo most definitely works on at least some unlifted enemies even though they won't work at all on the targets: to be sure this time I just tested on two Cerberus Assault Troopers on two different N7 missions (the one on Tuchanka and the one where you take the Hanar Medi Gel thing) with two different weapons (The Raptor and the Valiant), on two different saves, there was always a consistent difference in damage dealt with Warp ammo activated and deactivated.

So, I dunno if that's an issue with Warp Ammo, or the targets, or both. I did notice that the Geth shotguns "pellets" won't slighly track the targets as they do actual enemies (they usually group up), for whatever it's worth.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Is there video of this somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Has anyone ever seen the poker table get used?

• Locked thread