Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3449369&pagenumber=1#post401848345

A 99.9999% very likely explanation of the restore session forumid=-1 error from Doc V, and a quick greasemonkey thing I hacked up to try to bandage it in the meantime. I dunno what the order of operations is so this may not actually work.

edit: preliminary testing says it's good

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

Unicorns bite, but their bites feel GOOD.
Firefox wants to make certain things extra bold with FF 11.0 on Windows 7 - any ideas what's causing this? It's not doing this on my other system with Firefox 11.0 on XP SP3, just FF 11/Win7:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

It's just obeying Google's style sheet -- Arial, size 113% of medium.

Medium is defined by CSS to be the user's configured font size, so you can adjust that in the options dialog.

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

The font size is fine, it's just making some things more bold than on other FF 11 installs. It almost seems like it's making it bold and expanding the character width.

I should mention that I've only seen this on Google shopping and some prices on eBay.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Megiddo posted:

The font size is fine, it's just making some things more bold than on other FF 11 installs. It almost seems like it's making it bold and expanding the character width.

I should mention that I've only seen this on Google shopping and some prices on eBay.

Normal. For a given font, the visual display @ 10px will differ from the visual display at say 24px. Aside from size, I mean. The 24px version might seem bold by comparison.

The same thing applies to bold-ing a given font at different sizes.

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

I realize that - but this is a different issue.

This is what the same thing looks like on XP with FF 11.0:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Firefox is probably using DirectWrite on Windows 7 to render large fonts for you. XP doesn't have DirectWrite.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

If the poster above is correct, there is a nice gfx.font_rendering.directwrite.enabled option in about:config you can toggle.

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

Thanks for the info. I'll take a look at that when I'm back on that machine again.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

NihilCredo posted:

If the poster above is correct, there is a nice gfx.font_rendering.directwrite.enabled option in about :config you can toggle.
Disabled by default, probably not this :(

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
maybe it's using the GPU to render things differently on 7? Unless that's what my stepdads beer was talking about.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Ryokurin posted:

This sounds like similar issues I was having with javascript before I made a new profile and started anew. I'm going to say that a new profile is probably the first thing you should do if you are having a issue.

I agree the Javascript is probably the culprit. I have similar memory bloat issues I traced back to a leak when running firebug.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
How can I force Firefox to keep history for a long time? Now it's only keeping pages in history back to November 2011, I want it to keep history for at least a year.

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012

Unmerciful posted:

Can anyone help me out with this? Because it's getting to be a little frustrating...

Unmerciful posted:

No, I wouldn't have a problem but it has gotten very slow, e.g. Youtube videos will buffer quickly but constantly stagger while playing. It's only Firefox and became very noticeable a month or so ago and I have no idea what happened.
I'm having similar problem as well. Been trying to search solution for months years but to no avail. What's your OS, though? This problem persist on my 64-bit Windows 7 PC (desktop), no matter what version of Firefox I use (Firefox 4 to 11) or even Aurora beta.

Interestingly, in my older laptop (Win Vista 32-bit) this problem do not exist even though I still use old Firefox (version 3.6). Memory usage remain relatively constant and don't jump through over 1 GB, also video stuttering are very rare.

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012

Ryokurin posted:

This sounds like similar issues I was having with javascript before I made a new profile and started anew. I'm going to say that a new profile is probably the first thing you should do if you are having a issue.

Juriko posted:

I agree the Javascript is probably the culprit. I have similar memory bloat issues I traced back to a leak when running firebug.
From my experience, javascript problem usually cause near-instantaneous crash on Firefox as oppose to steady increase in memory usage (and thus slowing Firefox).

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Install Gentoo posted:

How can I force Firefox to keep history for a long time? Now it's only keeping pages in history back to November 2011, I want it to keep history for at least a year.
Try about :config and change browser.history_expire_days

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

NihilCredo posted:

Try about :config and change browser.history_expire_days

That thing stopped working sometime around Firefox 5 or 6. Mine's been set to 365 since sometime in 2010 when I created this profile, but it's not doing anything as evidenced by only having about 5 months of history.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The combined total number of stored history entries and bookmarks is limited to a dynamically calculated value based on your memory and disk space.

This value is stored in places.history.expiration.transient_current_max_pages

You can override it by storing a value in places.history.expiration.max_pages

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

^^^^^ Good to know, thanks!

Huh. I still have a big "Older than 6 months" history folder, but my profile dates back to at least FF 4 so I guess that could be why.

Reith
Jul 23, 2007

Megiddo posted:

Firefox wants to make certain things extra bold with FF 11.0 on Windows 7 - any ideas what's causing this? It's not doing this on my other system with Firefox 11.0 on XP SP3, just FF 11/Win7:

I've also noticed this when I run FF on Win 7... it's one of those things I'd really like to fix, but I have no clue how.

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

I've reinstalled my video driver, reinstalled FF several times, rolled back to FF 9.0.1, deleted all Mozilla folders and registry entries, changed the settings mentioned above, etc. and I've still got the weird bold font.

I would think it might be Google incrementally rolling out some changes, but it does it on some eBay pages as well.

Megiddo fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Mar 28, 2012

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Megiddo posted:

I've reinstalled my video driver, reinstalled FF several times, rolled back to FF 9.0.1, deleted all Mozilla folders and registry entries, changed the settings mentioned above, etc. and I've still got the weird bold font.

I would think it might be Google incrementally rolling out some changes, but it does it on some eBay pages as well.

I'm on Firefox 11 / Win 7 (x64 Ultimate), and I'm not seeing that. My Google Products page looks like the XP example you posted further up the page.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Is Firefox 11 unable to play HTML5 videos with sound? For some reason whenever I watch a video on YouTube that's using HTML5 in stead of Flash, it consistently lacks audio.

I tried installing Chrome to check if the audio would work there and it did, so the issue's definitely confined to Firefox. All googling gives me is a bunch of suggestions on how to fix it on Ubuntu, which isn't relevant in my case as I'm on Win7 x64.

EDIT: I forgot my other question; on my other PC (running Ubuntu) every other time I close Firefox it doesn't kill properly and keeps running in the background. This is a minor inconvenience really, because I can just force kill it when it refuses to open the next time, but I'd still like to know if this is an easily fixable issue? I might as well fix it if it's simple.

Joda fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 29, 2012

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

For some reason, as of a recent update, whenever I'm in a... text box? Any sort of spot where you can type your own text, my right click options look like this:

Missing the cut and paste menu, and the spellcheck option. How do I enable both (and maybe cancel all the "download them all" options)?

Gherkin Jerkin
Jan 22, 2006

With great power, comes great crunchability...

Xander77 posted:

For some reason, as of a recent update, whenever I'm in a... text box? Any sort of spot where you can type your own text, my right click options look like this:

Missing the cut and paste menu, and the spellcheck option. How do I enable both (and maybe cancel all the "download them all" options)?

See if Menu Editor can help.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

All right, nevermind the above. A genius tech support guy decided the best way to handle my sound issues is to reinstall windows. Now I have to go back and re-enable all my favorites (those that I remember, since he didn't bother to warn).

How do I completely turn off the "untrusted connection" warning? I did this:
http://www.ehow.com/how_8470294_disable-connection-untrusted-firefox.html

AND corrected my time settings, but neither seems to really help.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Xander77 posted:

All right, nevermind the above. A genius tech support guy decided the best way to handle my sound issues is to reinstall windows. Now I have to go back and re-enable all my favorites (those that I remember, since he didn't bother to warn).

How do I completely turn off the "untrusted connection" warning? I did this:
http://www.ehow.com/how_8470294_disable-connection-untrusted-firefox.html

AND corrected my time settings, but neither seems to really help.
:psyduck: Have you considered that the warning, if it persists, might be a genuine, non false positive? And that, as you don't have a backup containing all you wanted to keep and as you need tech support to resolve a sound issue and re-image your pc, you might be a bit out of your depth disabling it?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

:psyduck: Have you considered that the warning, if it persists, might be a genuine, non false positive? And that, as you don't have a backup containing all you wanted to keep and as you need tech support to resolve a sound issue and re-image your pc, you might be a bit out of your depth disabling it?
It's a warning that comes up when you log into gmail. And youtube. And something awful. Etc. Etc. Etc.

So, yeah, I'm pretty sure I want to disable it.

(The rest of the story is really not relevant to this thread)

Prize Loser
Nov 28, 2005

It's casual Friday! Pants are optional!

Xander77 posted:

It's a warning that comes up when you log into gmail. And youtube. And something awful. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Copy and paste the part under the "technical details" arrow for us. Or screenshot it or something. There are a dozen reasons you could be getting an error on every SSL page, and some are pretty simple fixes. The page should give enough detail to figure out what problem it is without needing you to disable certificate checking.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Xander77 posted:

That makes slightly more sense from your end and less from Firefox' end. That's not supposed to happen.

The backup thing and (vague) impression of general computer competence was relevant if you were insisting on using a single malware infested site. Not the case, so, indeed, not relevant now.

So, yeah, what Prize Loser said.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
https://areweslimyet.com has gone live.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
The Snappy group has started publishing meeting minutes, it's pretty interesting to see all the different projects they're working on to make Firefox faster.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Prize Loser posted:

Copy and paste the part under the "technical details" arrow for us. Or screenshot it or something. There are a dozen reasons you could be getting an error on every SSL page, and some are pretty simple fixes. The page should give enough detail to figure out what problem it is without needing you to disable certificate checking.

When I encountered this, it was because my employer plays silly buggers with self signing certificates (for whatever reason that may be)

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The usual reason in that situation would be your employer running a man-in-the-middle attack on all SSL traffic so they can spy on everything their employees do.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Anyone using Aurora 13 on Windows 7? Startup times have improved dramatically, have they worked on this for version 13?

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Anyone using Aurora 13 on Windows 7? Startup times have improved dramatically, have they worked on this for version 13?

Supposedly for version 14, but every version seems to get a little faster. Some stuff scheduled for 14 might've landed in 13.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I have two plug in questions:

- Is there a working British English spell checker?

- Is there a plugin that allows you too see where things like twitter links are pointing by just hovering over them?

Thanks.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Jippa posted:

- Is there a working British English spell checker?
Are you saying that when you install the en-gb version of Firefox, the spell check doesn't work as expected?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

xamphear posted:

Are you saying that when you install the en-gb version of Firefox, the spell check doesn't work as expected?

I have this installed, but it hasn't been updated?

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/british-english-dictionary/?src=search

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
So you want to install the en-US (or some other region) version of Firefox, but also have the en-GB dictionary as an option? Then I think what you need is located here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/language-tools/