Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I just got the one volume edition of Jodorowsky and Moebius's The Incal that came out a few months ago. I have to say that I'm left wondering why I haven't read this sooner. It is amazing. Every page is breathtaking and the story is pretty snappy as well. I know it's well known over in Europe but this really needs more exposure in the US; it's brilliant.

I'm also glad I popped over to Amazon to order it when I read about Moebius's passing last week. The prices have quadrupled since I bought my copy. I'm sure those will come back down though as time passes.

While I'm on the subject the only way Amazon has to get the prequel is a superdeluxe, signed and number, slipcase, and sketch edition. Is it worth it even without Moebius's artwork for the story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Endless Mike posted:

Look, I can believe you asking a girl out, but don't insult her by pretending you knocked her up.

If she's changed the delivery date 8 times, she's probably the one pretending.

Give her up, burts. It's for the best.

edit:
this is not advice I would ascribe to Flex Mentallo. Kissing that girl would be like kissing Thundergirl, burts. But it would just be like kissing her, not the real thing.

Always wait for Flex Mentallo.

I can't wait to see the new colors, have they released anything yet, besides the cover?

bairfanx fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Mar 20, 2012

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

I wish I had Paul Newman's eyes
That would be nice.

Random Stranger posted:

I just got the one volume edition of Jodorowsky and Moebius's The Incal that came out a few months ago. I have to say that I'm left wondering why I haven't read this sooner. It is amazing. Every page is breathtaking and the story is pretty snappy as well. I know it's well known over in Europe but this really needs more exposure in the US; it's brilliant.

I'm also glad I popped over to Amazon to order it when I read about Moebius's passing last week. The prices have quadrupled since I bought my copy. I'm sure those will come back down though as time passes.

While I'm on the subject the only way Amazon has to get the prequel is a superdeluxe, signed and number, slipcase, and sketch edition. Is it worth it even without Moebius's artwork for the story?

I believe the prequel is going to be released in the same format as the Incal was - both were originally released by Humanoids as the stupid superdeluxe ones, then later by that other publisher.

Aaaaand Amazon just pushed my Flex Mentallo date back.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

paulnewmanseyes posted:

I believe the prequel is going to be released in the same format as the Incal was - both were originally released by Humanoids as the stupid superdeluxe ones, then later by that other publisher.

I hope so, but I don't see any sign of another version of the one volume Metabarons book which looks like it got the same kind of release...

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

paulnewmanseyes posted:

Aaaaand Amazon just pushed my Flex Mentallo date back.

This would be hilarious if it weren't so :negative:

Jeremys Iron
Aug 18, 2006

"Now if you'll excuse me, it's 8 O'clock, Time to get Bizzay"
I'm kind of half-considering putting an order in for the Untold Tales of Spider-Man omnibus but know little about it beyond what Wikipedia told me. I know Kurt Busiek seems to be well-regarded but thought I'd see if anyone in this thread wanted to tell me if ordering it was a brilliant/terrible/'meh' idea before doing so.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jeremys Iron posted:

I'm kind of half-considering putting an order in for the Untold Tales of Spider-Man omnibus but know little about it beyond what Wikipedia told me. I know Kurt Busiek seems to be well-regarded but thought I'd see if anyone in this thread wanted to tell me if ordering it was a brilliant/terrible/'meh' idea before doing so.
The competition is a low hurdle, but it was easily the best Spider-Man book being published at the time.

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
If anyone comes across a copy of Transformers: The IDW Collection Vol. 4, I would be greatly interested in it. I have 1-3 and 5, but 4 is now OOP, afaik.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.
Marvel solicts are out.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=37680

Books of interest:

quote:

MARVEL ZOMNIBUS HC
Written by ROBERT KIRKMAN, KARL KESEL, MARK MILLAR, REGINALD HUDLIN, FRED VAN LENTE, FRANK MARRAFFINO & MORE
Penciled by SEAN PHILLIPS, TODD NAUCK, ADAM DEKRAKER, ROB DISALVO, GREG LAND, MITCH BREITWEISER, FRANCIS PORTELA, KEV WALKER, KANO, FERNANDO BLANCO & MORE
Cover by ARTHUR SUYDAM
The smash-hit Marvel Zombies saga is collected in one meaty, macabre tome! The dead walk — and leap, fly and climb walls — when Marvel’s mightiest are transformed into flesh-eating monsters! After devouring every single person on Earth, the ravenous once-heroes set their sights higher — taking on Galactus, spreading into space, and breaking into new and delicious dimensions…including our own! Lock your doors, and board up your windows — the Marvel Zombies are coming for you! Collecting MARVEL ZOMBIES: DEAD DAYS, MARVEL APES: PRIME EIGHT, MARVEL ZOMBIES: EVIL EVOLUTION, ULTIMATE FANTASTIC FOUR #21-23 and #30-32, MARVEL ZOMBIES #1-5, BLACK PANTHER (2005) #28-30, MARVEL ZOMBIES 2 #1-5, MARVEL ZOMBIES RETURN #1-5, MARVEL ZOMBIES 3 #1-5, MARVEL ZOMBIES 4 #1-4, MARVEL ZOMBIES 5 #1-5, and MARVEL ZOMBIES SUPREME #1-5.
1200 PGS./Parental Advisory …$125.00
ISBN: 978-0-7851-4026-9
Trim size: oversized

NEW AVENGERS OMNIBUS VOL. 1 HC
Written by BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS with WARREN ELLIS
Penciled by DAVID FINCH, STEVE MCNIVEN, FRANK CHO, MIKE DEODATO JR., HOWARD CHAYKIN, LEINIL FRANCIS YU, OLIVIER COIPEL, PASQUAL FERRY, JIM CHEUNG, ALEX MALEEV, DAN JURGENS, RICK MAYS, MARC SILVESTRI & MORE
Cover by DAVID FINCH
VARIANT Cover by JOE QUESADA
The first half of Brian Michael Bendis’ radical Avengers revamp is collected in one massive volume! When the Avengers are disassembled by an insane Scarlet Witch, a new and decidedly different team rises to take their place — including Spider-Man, Wolverine and Luke Cage! These New Avengers face down a prison break, the secrets of the Sentry, the menace of the multi-powered Collective and more — and even find time to celebrate the marriage of one of their own. But when a terrible tragedy kicks off a superhuman Civil War, will the newly created team be irrevocably shattered? Collecting AVENGERS (1963) #500-503, AVENGERS FINALE, NEW AVENGERS (2005) #1-31 and ANNUAL #1, NEW AVENGERS AND THE FANTASTIC FOUR #1, GIANT-SIZE SPIDER-WOMAN #1, NEW AVENGERS: ILLUMINATI (2006) #1, CIVIL WAR: THE CONFESSION #1, CIVIL WAR: THE INITIATIVE #1 and NEW AVENGERS MOST WANTED FILES #1.
1208 PGS./Rated T+ …$125
ISBN: 978-0-7851-6489-0
NEW AVENGERS OMNIBUS VOL. 1 HC QUESADA COVER (DM ONLY)
1208 PGS./Rated T+ …$99.99
ISBN: 978-0-7851-6575-0

THE STAND OMNIBUS HC SLIPCASE
Written by ROBERTO AGUIRRE-SACASA
Penciled by MIKE PERKINS
Cover by MIKE PERKINS
The Stand is a classic tale of good vs. evil, loss weighed against redemption and despair pitted against hope. It is an apocalyptic vision of man’s battle to save life against a worldwide plague of death. When the viral strain dubbed “Captain Trips” works its way across the face of the country, the painfully few survivors are launched into a nightmare that’s only just begun — but for the Dark Man, Randall Flagg, it’s a dream come true. Based on the masterpiece of apocalyptic horror by celebrated author Stephen King, this lavish adaptation is packed with extras in a two-volume slipcased set! Collecting THE STAND: CAPTAIN TRIPS #1-5, THE STAND: AMERICAN NIGHTMARES #1-5, THE STAND: SOUL SURVIVORS #1-5, THE STAND: HARDCASES #1-5, THE STAND: NO MAN’S LAND #1-5, THE STAND: THE NIGHT HAS COME #1-5 and THE STAND SKETCHBOOK.
1120 PGS./Parental Advisory …$150.00
ISBN: 978-0-7851-5331-3

INCREDIBLE HULK BY JASON AARON VOL. 1 HC
Written by JASON AARON
Penciled by MIKE CHOI, MARC SILVESTRI & WHILCE PORTACIO
Cover by MARC SILVESTRI
Marvel Architect Jason Aaron joins forces with legendary artist Marc Silvestri! The Hulk and Bruce Banner are now separate entities — but Bruce wants the Hulk back. The Hulk is assigned to take Banner down, but Bruce isn’t going without a fight. As the Hulk makes an alliance with mad scientist hunter Amanda Von Doom that changes his destiny forever, Banner unleashes his army of Hulked-out monsters! It all culminates in the fight everyone’s been waiting for: HULK VS. BANNER! Collecting INCREDIBLE HULK (2011) #1-7 and material from FEAR ITSELF #7.
176 PGS./Parental Advisory …$34.99
ISBN: 978-0-7851-3328-5

CARNAGE, U.S.A. HC
Written by ZEB WELLS
Penciled by CLAYTON CRAIN
Cover by CLAYTON CRAIN
Carnage’s maniacal reign of terror continues, courtesy of the critically acclaimed creative team of Zeb Wells and Clayton Crain! The Avengers must go on a brutal hunt to capture Cletus Kasady before a small town in the American heartland falls under his mass-murdering spell! But when Carnage defeats the Avengers, only Spider-Man remains. Can he stop Carnage before the government makes a devil’s pact — with symbiotes?! Buckle in — and prepare for a violence-packed adventure as Spidey, Venom and the Avengers take on Carnage with a city at stake and the souls of hundreds on their shoulders! Carnage U.S.A. wants YOU! Collecting CARNAGE, U.S.A. #1-5.
120 PGS./Rated T+ …$24.99
ISBN: 978-0-7851-6073-1

The Aaron Hulk book is a bit of an odd choice for OSHC if you ask me. And seems a tad overpriced for the contents.

What I do find strange is that Fraction's Defenders is straight to softcover, no Premiere version. Not that I mind that of course (Premiere HCs for "current" books are something I tend to avoid), it just seems to be going against Marvel's usual strategy.

Looks like a quiet month for me anyway. I don't think I'll be picking up anything from DC or Marvel.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Is there really a $25 difference between the two market editions of the New Avengers omnibus? Is that normal?

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
So basically, you can either buy 1000 page books or 200 page books? I kind of miss the ~400 page OSHC format that allowed for a year's worth of material. I know these are still released but they somehow seem scarce.
That being said, how was The Stand? I quite liked what they did with the Dark Tower.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Starsnostars posted:

Is there really a $25 difference between the two market editions of the New Avengers omnibus? Is that normal?

Didn't notice that, I assume it's just a typo though. But, hey, who the gently caress knows with Marvel anymore.

PelvicNerve posted:

So basically, you can either buy 1000 page books or 200 page books? I kind of miss the ~400 page OSHC format that allowed for a year's worth of material. I know these are still released but they somehow seem scarce.

I know what you mean. The 12-or-so issues OSHC was definitely my format of choice but they have been very thin on the ground recently.

Shameless fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Mar 21, 2012

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

May snag the Carnage book (goddammit!), but that's all that interests me from that list.

Jeremys Iron
Aug 18, 2006

"Now if you'll excuse me, it's 8 O'clock, Time to get Bizzay"
Am I right in thinking that the New Avengers omnibus contains the same as the first 3 OSHCs plus:

AVENGERS (1963) #500-503
AVENGERS FINALE
NEW AVENGERS AND THE FANTASTIC FOUR #1

But appears to be missing 'New Avengers: Custom #676: Army & Air Force'

I already have the OSHCs on this one so I may have found an omnibus I won't be pre-ordering. Intrigued by the Hulk book though as I quite liked Aaron's Ghost Rider omnibus.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Jeremys Iron posted:

Am I right in thinking that the New Avengers omnibus contains the same as the first 3 OSHCs plus:

AVENGERS (1963) #500-503
AVENGERS FINALE

I already have the OSHCs on this one so I may have found an omnibus I won't be pre-ordering. Intrigued by the Hulk book though as I quite liked Aaron's Ghost Rider omnibus.

If you've got the first three OSHC's then I'd say you're safe to skip this Omnibus. Avengers 500-503 & Finale are in the Avengers Disassembled OSHC which can still be picked up fairly cheaply if you really want to have them.

I think New Avengers / Fantastic Four #1 is one of those military things that was in the first New Avengers OSHC.

As for Hulk.... I'm finding it really weak. Definitely the least interesting thing that Aaron's currently writing. The fact it's already had a smorgasbord of different, mainly lovely, artists really doesn't help its cause either.

Shameless fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 21, 2012

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Can't come soon enough...

Shame about the crossovers though

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

Shameless posted:

Can't come soon enough...

Shame about the crossovers though

Cannot wait for that!

Takei is Okay
Sep 3, 2011

Jeremys Iron posted:

AVENGERS (1963) #500-503
AVENGERS FINALE

The Army custom comic is the same thing as "New Avengers & Fantastic Four #1".

Mr. Glum
Jul 28, 2008
I just received King City from Amazon, and now the page says it's up for review, "because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here."

Anyone know what this might be referring to?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Mine had some barely visible water damage and a page stuck together. It didn't interfere with my reading of the book, but I could imagine somebody complaining

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Mr. Glum posted:

I just received King City from Amazon, and now the page says it's up for review, "because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here."

Hopefully the gutter loss. :dukedog:

solidrooster
Apr 8, 2009
I received my new Batman Year One Deluxe Edition and compared it to the Original Deluxe HC. The colors are extremely low resolution in the new HC and you can immediately tell when comparing the two. The inks are otherwise just as sharp in the new HC, and all of the extras (page for page, exactly the same as the Original Deluxe HC) are sharp at the new deluxe page size as well. I consider this an extreme technical error on DC's part and I hope they can fix this by creating a new printing.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

David Mazz himself told you like 2 pages back not to buy it. :dukedog:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

solidrooster posted:

I received my new Batman Year One Deluxe Edition and compared it to the Original Deluxe HC. The colors are extremely low resolution in the new HC and you can immediately tell when comparing the two. The inks are otherwise just as sharp in the new HC, and all of the extras (page for page, exactly the same as the Original Deluxe HC) are sharp at the new deluxe page size as well. I consider this an extreme technical error on DC's part and I hope they can fix this by creating a new printing.

Examples of HC's using my iPhone:
http://imageshack.us/phot...es/215/byo1original.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/phot...-images/823/byo1new.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/phot...ges/12/byo2original.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/16/byo2new.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/phot...es/190/byo3original.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/phot...-images/849/byo3new.jpg/

David Mazzucchelli, the artist received his copies a few weeks ago and said it was full of problems and advised people to not purchase it.

solidrooster
Apr 8, 2009
I know. I read his post too, but I wanted to see for myself because sometimes artists can be extremely crucial about they're own work. I preordered from Amazon and wanted to see if I would notice it myself. I took pictures, but the links don't work on this board. I guess the site I used to host was a no-no. Back to the point, it is extremely noticeable that the coloring is a low res digital file and not hand-painted like the original source.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I would think a guy with Eisners would know how a comic should look. :dukedog:

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Mr. Glum posted:

One of two things: maybe people are thinking it's the old one or something and are complaining about it not being what they thought. Or two, and more likely: Amazon doesn't wrap it in anything and it's a paperback, so it's really easy for it to get hosed up in transit.

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009

Mr. Glum posted:

The top of mines spine was a little hosed. International shipping though, so I kind of take what I can get.

krut
Jun 5, 2005

ask me about oranges
gently caress. I'm going to have to shell out $150 for that The Stand omni.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
As a DC fan, is my life complete without owning Paul Levitz's 75 Years of DC Comics tome? From what I've seen it's a glorified artbook, but still worth the purchase?

I have to wonder where the hell I would store it, I don't have any shelves that sturdy...

solidrooster
Apr 8, 2009

Hatter106 posted:

As a DC fan, is my life complete without owning Paul Levitz's 75 Years of DC Comics tome? From what I've seen it's a glorified artbook, but still worth the purchase?

I have to wonder where the hell I would store it, I don't have any shelves that sturdy...

The book is MASSIVE, but worth it. Great pictures, but also very insightful of the DC history, including the television and film influences.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

Hatter106 posted:

Its a must purchase. The art is amazing and tons of detail on the history of DC that we are losing too fast as the golden age creators die. Note based on an Amazon fish, the following is coming out.

Expanded from the Eisner Award - winning XL book, "75 Years of DC Comics", this new series hits the shelf at a reader friendly size with essays updated by author Paul Levitz and over 500 new images across five volumes. Thousands of covers and interiors, original illustrations, photographs, film stills, and collectibles have been reproduced using the latest technology to bring the story lines, the characters, and their creators to vibrant life, making this an invaluable reference for comics fans.

http://www.amazon.ca/The-Golden-Age-DC-Comics/dp/3836535734/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2ONGU5LXZJYJ0&colid=P2CZS1XUN7NL

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bairfanx posted:

One of two things: maybe people are thinking it's the old one or something and are complaining about it not being what they thought. Or two, and more likely: Amazon doesn't wrap it in anything and it's a paperback, so it's really easy for it to get hosed up in transit.
Mine was shipped in a box with the book shrink-wrapped to a larger piece of cardboard. Made it here fine.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

wildlele posted:

Note based on an Amazon fish, the following is coming out.

Expanded from the Eisner Award - winning XL book, "75 Years of DC Comics", this new series hits the shelf at a reader friendly size with essays updated by author Paul Levitz and over 500 new images across five volumes. Thousands of covers and interiors, original illustrations, photographs, film stills, and collectibles have been reproduced using the latest technology to bring the story lines, the characters, and their creators to vibrant life, making this an invaluable reference for comics fans.

http://www.amazon.ca/The-Golden-Age-DC-Comics/dp/3836535734/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2ONGU5LXZJYJ0&colid=P2CZS1XUN7NL

Thanks for posting that, hadn't heard anything about this before.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

wildlele posted:

Its a must purchase. The art is amazing and tons of detail on the history of DC that we are losing too fast as the golden age creators die. Note based on an Amazon fish, the following is coming out.

I didn't know that they were doing this. Presumably the next four volumes will be the Silver Age of DC Comics, Bronze Age, Stupid Age, and Modern Age.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Today I went to Ikea and bought an Expedit. I made the choice to get a 4x4. I still have a bunch more stuff to put in it and it's already half full. :( Should have gone for the 5x5

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

That would be nice.
Apropos of nothing, omnibu the lack of which I cannot fathom why:

Hulk by Greg Pak
Herc by Greg Pak
Runaways (I know there was a rumour about this one)
Brand New Day (and this one)
Captain Britain and MI:13
Agents of Atlas
Punisher Max
Punishermax

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

paulnewmanseyes posted:

Apropos of nothing, omnibu the lack of which I cannot fathom why:

Hulk by Greg Pak
Herc by Greg Pak
Runaways (I know there was a rumour about this one)
Brand New Day (and this one)
Captain Britain and MI:13
Agents of Atlas
Punisher Max
Punishermax

Hulk by Pak is a given, I dunno about Herc. Runaways would have happened if the film hadn't been binned. BND was supposed to happen to coincide with the new film. CB I doubt and AoA kept flopping so I'd be shocked if that happened. We'll eventually see a Jason Aaron Punisher Omni, I don't know about the Ennis stuff at this point.

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

That would be nice.

Rhyno posted:

Hulk by Pak is a given, I dunno about Herc. Runaways would have happened if the film hadn't been binned. BND was supposed to happen to coincide with the new film. CB I doubt and AoA kept flopping so I'd be shocked if that happened. We'll eventually see a Jason Aaron Punisher Omni, I don't know about the Ennis stuff at this point.

drat, I've basically been waiting for an AoA omni. It would fit so well in the drat thing. So would CB. Both the right length, self contained, but with enough little one shots and stuff to throw in and make it seem like a good buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Isn't CB only around 19 issues? That seems like it would be a little small for an omnibus.