Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
Also stating my interest for hardcore. Especially as someone whose PvP experience starts and ends with Spleef, I like the idea of bumbling about and getting into all sorts of trouble.

I hate how much more I want to do this kind of thing after seeing Hunger Games, but holy poo poo do I want to do blocky Hunger Games. I- I swear I got more of an experience out of that movie than HARDCORE BATTLES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

nippon nifties posted:

If he means using tools to destroy wood blocks you could get a creeper to explode near a tree. If he means no wood at all well then that's different

I did not think of the creeper thing, but think about all these survival shows. Do they get tools from just punching a few trees? You can outfit yourself to deal with most situations and work with any material within 10min when you have free access to wood. Without it you cant dig into stone, make a sword, or torches at will. Im not saying you should play without it, but making it hard to get will make things WAY more interesting.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Sure, I'd play the hardcore thing if someone wants to go through the trouble of organizing it for us. I don't make any promises as to me not dying first though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So, I'm exploring around in a new world and, uh...

I found this lonely guy! In a cave! Way underground!

What the hell it's doing here, I don't know, and there's also no water connected directly to it, which makes things even weirder. I have since built a shrine around it complete with sign depicting its greatness. This game is still pretty neat sometimes!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Captain Zeroth posted:

Maybe we could get the other goon servers to pool a whitelist/blacklist?

DaveJK is about 90% done with a goon game username database system that will have minecraft support.

Chew Toy
Nov 28, 2010

I'm unhappy, Jon.
I would totally get down for an ultra-hardcore game if one goes up.

Boy Wunder
Dec 2, 2000

Saturday Mornings posted:

One thing I like about those Ultra Hardcore videos was following the narrative across multiple players and having each of them tell an increasingly funny story. I figured Etho was a strong player, so to see him worry about and get killed by Pause made me switch to Pause's video to see an awesome PvPer work. Except Pause turned out to be paranoid about everything and crashed and burned immediately after killing Etho. Then the guy who kills him, who's apparently awesome enough to tame a wolf in Ultra Hardcore, got the wolf by sheer luck and felt it was a giant pain in the rear end up until it killed Pause. I'm glad I watched them in the order I did.

I watched them in the same order you did and was similarly amused. kurtmac's perspective was especially funny to me, although it might have been really boring if you hadn't watched Etho and Pause first.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

ColHannibal posted:

Im not saying you should play without it, but making it hard to get will make things WAY more interesting.

Making some changes like having trees be rarer during world generation, making them only grow when exposed to sunlight, lowering the planks per log, and having bonemeal not work on trees might work. Players could still get enough wood to get started in a few minutes, but they'd have to make trips to the surface much more often and that would increase the rate of encounters, especially on smaller maps. Balancing it so that it wouldn't be too tedious might be a bit difficult, though.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Spoggerific posted:

Making some changes like having trees be rarer during world generation, making them only grow when exposed to sunlight, lowering the planks per log, and having bonemeal not work on trees might work. Players could still get enough wood to get started in a few minutes, but they'd have to make trips to the surface much more often and that would increase the rate of encounters, especially on smaller maps. Balancing it so that it wouldn't be too tedious might be a bit difficult, though.

I don't know, mud houses with players afraid to use their tools for fear of no wood to replace them sounds way more fun.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

ColHannibal posted:

I don't know, mud houses with players afraid to use their tools for fear of no wood to replace them sounds way more fun.

not really. without tools you pretty much cant do anything. you cant fight enemies, dig very deep, mine anything, or even go after each other. not to mention without food for furnaces cooking food would be a pain. youd just have a group of people who would get stone equipment asap, then spend the rest of thier time punching cows for leather and growing wheat.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

ColHannibal posted:

Im not saying you should play without it, but making it hard to get will make things WAY more interesting.
It wouldn't make things more interesting at all. You couldn't have anything but your bare hands. Couldn't even make leather armor. No bows, fishing rods, farming, weapons, anything.
Playing the entire game with your bare hands doesn't seem that interesting.

heeen
May 14, 2005

CAT NEVER STOPS
Anyone here playing on hcfactions? Death means a 5 day ban, or purchase a life for $5. You can build factions and purchase protected land by trading stuff for coins.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

CJacobs posted:

What the hell it's doing here, I don't know, and there's also no water connected directly to it, which makes things even weirder. I have since built a shrine around it complete with sign depicting its greatness. This game is still pretty neat sometimes!
I'm pretty sure sugar cane will grow within a few squares of water. And you see that waterfall in the back of your picture? There's your explanation.

But it's still pretty unlikely for it to have generated sugarcane underground at all. You go, little sugarcane! :3:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hadlock posted:

DaveJK is about 90% done with a goon game username database system that will have minecraft support.

Oooh, nice, I like this idea.

Also, I'd be totally down for some hardcore goon MC. Maybe we could organize tournaments or something? I definitely think a separate thread in PGS is warranted, seeing as though almost every poster here would be up for it.

Also, Seed Request!

For whatever reason, the map that I and two friends play on got reset. Now, we could go back to using our old seed, Golems, but I'd love to try something new. I'd prefer an island, if anyone has any suggestions. The size of the island should be big enough so that we can survive (nothing crazy-desolate), but no bigger than the size of map_0's coverage area. Even if there's not much water separating our island from other land beyond, that's fine.

I'm sure I'm not alone, but I feel that, due to the fact that you can sometimes end up with such huuuuuge landmasses, islands lend themselves better to the idea of landmarking areas. It's like a natural limit.

Mushrooman
Apr 16, 2003

Disco Dancin'
RE: Goon hardcore game, I'm not that familiar with minecraft world-gen, but is there any way to edit the world so that "ground level" is like 5 blocks over bedrock, but otherwise generates normally? It would keep people from just digging down, and hopefully all the good ores will be on the sides of mountains and whatnot.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Mushrooman posted:

RE: Goon hardcore game, I'm not that familiar with minecraft world-gen, but is there any way to edit the world so that "ground level" is like 5 blocks over bedrock, but otherwise generates normally? It would keep people from just digging down, and hopefully all the good ores will be on the sides of mountains and whatnot.

The old terrain gen used to be able to do this quite nicely. I have no idea if it's been kept up to date, however.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mushrooman posted:

It's really not needed. Look at the series for instance, they have 8 people on a 2000x2000 map and we've already seen numerous deaths. People are going to get curious and go out to explore.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I would have thought that they'd install a mod that removes the nametag viewing from behind walls (but still viewable through air) but watching some of these encounters is incredible, especially the buildup.

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

We'll take our chances...
Right, i'm at my wits end here. With the 1.2.4 patch, the ability to open the chat in SMP with the forward slash key(/) was added. However, I already use this key for opening my inventory and even if the key is bound to something else, the chat will still open. I've been rooting around the internet looking for a fix, but it seems not many people use / for anything(which means a mojang fix for this will either take a long time or won't happen).

Is there a particular place inside minecraft.jar or whatever that I can change to get rid of this? Any help would be much appreciated.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
So, lots of people are interested in a hardcore game. Would it be a good idea to set this up on a 16 or 32 player server?
Some sort of nametag remover would be pretty necessary.

I'm actually imagining a lobby style system, where you can create a game for others to join, like in FPSes, with different prepared maps. I feel it could work with that multiplayer server host thingy posted earlier!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I would have thought that they'd install a mod that removes the nametag viewing from behind walls (but still viewable through air) but watching some of these encounters is incredible, especially the buildup.

A "you can run but you cannot hide" rule goes well with the format, though.

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

I'm just waiting for someone to burn down all the forests hoping to kill someone resting in one.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Mushrooman posted:

Yes, quite easy actually. The TerrainControl plugin is actively being worked on and is a lot of fun to use. I'm currently generating a world for my servers next map that has 'sea level' at 40, but is entirely desert. The world is basically a sandy wasteland broken periodically by giant sand mountain ranges stretching to the new map height.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
e: ^^^ That's awesome.

Colonel J posted:

So, lots of people are interested in a hardcore game. Would it be a good idea to set this up on a 16 or 32 player server?
Some sort of nametag remover would be pretty necessary.

I'm actually imagining a lobby style system, where you can create a game for others to join, like in FPSes, with different prepared maps. I feel it could work with that multiplayer server host thingy posted earlier!

It really depends. If we do a hostile PvP setting then fairness is pretty heavily dependent upon equal time played; logging on for the first time when there are ten others who have been on for six hours of playtime is going to get you a quick death if you ever meet them. A non-PvP setup would allow for anyone to join and try to survive on a persistent server rather than having to keep to strict time equivalence.

At this point I almost lean more towards non-PvP initially. You can still make it competitive because players will always compete to see who can gather the most stuff / build the best castle etc., but doing something like rotating the map every two or four weeks for a fresh start and then having a few simple rules like no strip mining / branch mining would go a long way in making the experience fun even if you join in halfway into the map. Grab a few buddies, try to meet up and survive.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I would think that this could be a new format for Goon-run MC servers, a LMS (Last Man Standing) sort of deal where you set aside a certain timeframe, and have goons playing it while keeping track of it in the thread. It'd be great if they could all record their gameplay, but I don't think that'd be necessary.

It'd be like how we do Mafia games, I suppose. At least, that's the closest I can think of, as far as similar examples go.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

I'm up for this last man standing. I have plenty of processor and RAM to spare on goonimati so I'll host it there.

Goonimati is a free-for-all PvP server and the idea of an LMS PvP server appeals to me however I'm more than willing to test out PvE first.

I currently run plugins for Team creation and stat tracking of players (mostly death events), randomly placing a player into the world via a master portal at spawn, and I regulary generate custom worlds for my players.

I'll write a plugin that will make a players death 'final' and add that to the stat tracking. I'll let you know when the server is online for anyone to test it.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Would it be possible to make it so that over time, the hardcore game world got a little bit smaller? Say it starts off at 2,000 x 2,000 but then every 30 minutes it lost say 20 blocks from each side? Coupled with a removal of name tags, that could make for a really interesting last man standing situation where over time you were more and more likely to encounter other players simply because everyone would eventually be funnelled towards the middle.

I could see some interesting strategies coming from that, from players who want to fortify and occupy the middle as soon as possible, versus those that want to gather all they can from the outer edges before steamrolling the other players.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Parkingtigers posted:

Would it be possible to make it so that over time, the hardcore game world got a little bit smaller? Say it starts off at 2,000 x 2,000 but then every 30 minutes it lost say 20 blocks from each side? Coupled with a removal of name tags, that could make for a really interesting last man standing situation where over time you were more and more likely to encounter other players simply because everyone would eventually be funnelled towards the middle.

I could see some interesting strategies coming from that, from players who want to fortify and occupy the middle as soon as possible, versus those that want to gather all they can from the outer edges before steamrolling the other players.

I'd love to see this, only instead of the blocks getting removed, anything that's not air turns into water, or, better yet... lava. That way, there's no way around making any sort of extension, you'd pretty much die.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'd love to see this, only instead of the blocks getting removed, anything that's not air turns into water, or, better yet... lava. That way, there's no way around making any sort of extension, you'd pretty much die.

This is where some mods could make this whole contest REALLY like the Hunger Games.

Certain chunks filled with monster spawners; TNT, Fire and arrow traps; intense weather and exaggerated biomes (a la the sand mountains someone recently posted) and timed intervention of lightning and other elements from the server 'Gamemaster' to encourage action and flush out squatters.

Some sort of dedicated community around putting together these styles of MP games could really revitalize MC, if done well.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

So I've been working on the map that will serve as the World Lobby of sorts for my build server. Only like a quarter of the way done with things, since my entire focus so far has really been the middle part of the continent, but I'm really happy with how it's coming so far!

For clarity's sake, that big guy is holding up the landmass that the other pictures are showing.

Server's up with this all at 24.184.36.89. You guys are welcome to join and look around. I've build-disabled the area by default because 90% of the people who keep joining my server are useless tits who spam "HWO CAN I HELP I BULD BOX IS TIHS OK CAN I BE MOD". However, if you're actually a good builder and want to pitch in, I'm more than happy to let people contribute.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Parkingtigers posted:

Minecraft: We've become Beverly Crusher.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Parkingtigers posted:

I don't care for the idea myself too much, except that it would resort in a deluge of Neverending Story quotes which would be wonderful.

"My cow died... I nearly drowned.... I just barely got away from the nothing... for what?!" :haw:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Mo_Steel posted:

"My cow died... I nearly drowned.... I just barely got away from the nothing... for what?!" :haw:

"Mr. Notcheander: The COD-server is down the street. Here we just make small rectangular objects. They're called blocks. They require a little effort on your part, and make no bee-bee-bee-bee-beeps. On your way please."

gently caress, now I want to build the southern Oracle, the Rockbiter, and the Ivory Tower.

Here, have this..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHcMAlYFn8Y

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
With the amount of people wanting a hardcore survival challenge maybe we need a bracket to pair people against, and eventually getting to a final 4 (or 6 or 8?)

Captain Zeroth
Feb 24, 2007
Im a captain?!
What if we limited each hardcore player on how many hours they could be logged in for per day? That way no one can significantly control the competition because of excessive adderall consumption and we don't have to coordinate time slots.

Massive_Idiot
Jun 21, 2007

Receiving data bursts, everything to do with it.
As dumb as that Hunger Games movie was it gave me the thought that you could definitely run an MC server that does survival style rounds with PVP enabled. Players could only join at the beginning of the round (the server would have to be a high population one if that is the case). Rules are kill or be killed, when the last man or so is standing a timer is started signaling the end of the round: The Running Goon Games.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Man, I really hope the Hardcore ends up with one of the last players spending an episode to the tune of McGyver making an elaborate trap, and then for the last episode he goes all Arnold-Predator and calls out the last player to him.

Obviously to the Predator soundtrack for the final showdown.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCG_ETMZvyg

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
The best troll would be to put down pressure plates EVERYWHERE, making anyone coming across them go crazy with paranoia.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Somebody a few pages back posted that file to randomize spawns.

My friends and I plan on also doing this hardcore survival, and one of us already has a server, but we have very little experience with mods and plugins. We've managed to get the hardcore mod working, but what exactly do we need to do to get the spawns randomized?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

All of this hardcore discussion may warrant having the mods involved being posted in the OP. I'd also suggest that if anyone starts their own LMS-Hardcore server, they should probably post all of that stuff in their OPs as well.