Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
It really is truly frightening how well the building of stadiums and the glad-handing and shady deal-making therein correlates so well to everything else funded by even the tiniest amount of public money. And the worst part is that the vast majority of people don't know, can't be bothered to give a poo poo and if they did, would become incredibly enraged (though since this is America, it'd be impotent as all hell) over how the systems of society really work. Maybe even enough to institute some change. But who can be bothered when the new American Idol is being crowned? Bread and circuses, man. Bread and circuses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Pvt. Public posted:

It really is truly frightening how well the building of stadiums and the glad-handing and shady deal-making therein correlates so well to everything else funded by even the tiniest amount of public money. And the worst part is that the vast majority of people don't know, can't be bothered to give a poo poo and if they did, would become incredibly enraged (though since this is America, it'd be impotent as all hell) over how the systems of society really work. Maybe even enough to institute some change. But who can be bothered when the new American Idol is being crowned? Bread and circuses, man. Bread and circuses.

Well this ignores the sizeable segment of the popular media that exists to spend as much energy as possible convincing said public that these things are good ideas, but that's neither here nor there

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

URL Weaver posted:

Well this ignores the sizeable segment of the popular media that exists to spend as much energy as possible convincing said public that these things are good ideas, but that's neither here nor there

Absolutely true. I was hoping to imply that with the American Idol jab (poorly, I admit), but yes.

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

Lindsay Berra just wrote a thing for espn on the idiocy of mlb simply accepting tommy john surgery as a hazard of the job

There's also a nice chart comparing Maddux and Stasburg as they go through their motions.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Why do they always talk to Rick "I can fix Victor Zambrano" Peterson instead of people who aren't self taught?

I mean he talks a big talk but his track record is really no different from anyone else who doesn't abuse pitchers to death.

leokitty fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 24, 2012

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Also congrats on Lindsay for writing a big article on inverted W, which I think is as old as some fossils.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
Question for baseball people: is there a consensus on Lincecum's delivery at all? Wasn't there a big hubbub about how his dad was a mechanic and that his athletic delivery puts less stress on the arm than most windups? And now that article says that he's a ticking time bomb. What gives?

I remember the dude on Hardball Times who used to analyze pitching motions was in love with Lincecum, so I don't get it.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

Question for baseball people: is there a consensus on Lincecum's delivery at all? Wasn't there a big hubbub about how his dad was a mechanic and that his athletic delivery puts less stress on the arm than most windups? And now that article says that he's a ticking time bomb. What gives?

I remember the dude on Hardball Times who used to analyze pitching motions was in love with Lincecum, so I don't get it.

He's got an extremely violent, jerky delivery that by conventional wisdom should lead to injury problems but for some reason it hasn't, probably due to some combination of luck, good genes, and a very good training regimen. There's really no way to tell if a pitcher will break or not until he does.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

URL Weaver posted:

He's got an extremely violent, jerky delivery that by conventional wisdom should lead to injury problems but for some reason it hasn't, probably due to some combination of luck, good genes, and a very good training regimen. There's really no way to tell if a pitcher will break or not until he does.

One thing I've always wanted to know is that his velocity still isn't what it used to be, but he's still pretty drat effective, and that could be because he's controlling speed to prevent injury rather than rearing back and firing as hard as he possibly can until he gets injured (Brad Penny Disease). I don't think a lot of pitchers would--or could--do that, but if there's one that could, I'm guessing it'd be Lincecum. If only someone could ask him during an interview.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Lincecum isn't hurt by not throwing as hard as often because of his completely ridiculous changeup, I think. He never relied on his fastball to get him outs and miss bats.

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
Nothing like spring training time where the only inevitabilities are best shape of his life articles and journalists making believe they understand pitching mechanics

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

I always thought Lincecum's leg was more likely to implode than his arm. The amount of weight and stretch on his leg during in his delivery seams unreal, especially when he does it 100+ times a game.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

leokitty posted:

Lincecum isn't hurt by not throwing as hard as often because of his completely ridiculous changeup, I think. He never relied on his fastball to get him outs and miss bats.

I didn't mean that he's been more effective BECAUSE of his decreased velocity or that it has anything to do with that (my point was convoluted). I'm more interested in whether or not he's not throwing his fastball as hard as he can so he can keep himself from getting injured.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

URL Weaver posted:

This is true. Public financing is a thinly veiled scam but it is exacerbated by media members who want a new park for whatever team they cover because it beats going to the previous shithole.

In a just society there would be no public option for stadium finance but wherever there's low-income housing to be razed...

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
So Bill Madden wrote a piece on Joba's injury

quote:

TAMPA — So the Joba Chamberlain star-crossed era with the Yankees will apparently have the same sad ending as the Brien Taylor saga.

Call it dumb and dumber for two Yankee golden-arm pitchers who threw away their careers with off-the-field hijinks.

In Taylor’s case, it was a fist fight in December of 1993, defending his brother in some rural hamlet in North Carolina, during which he dislocated his left shoulder, the same shoulder that had earned him a record $1.55 million bonus from the Yankees. He never saw the bright lights of New York, never heard the cheers at Yankee Stadium.

Overnight Chamberlain became a cult figure, the subject of countless newspaper, magazine and TV features about this hulking kid out of the plains of Nebraska from a broken home, his mother a drug addict, raised by his wheelchair-bound dad.

He’d been explicitly told by the Yankee trainers not to engage in any sort of physical activity that would potentially put his arm in harm’s way. You would think they wouldn’t have had to tell him that, but then there had already been too many things in Chamberlain’s past to indicate he wasn’t gifted with a whole lot of common sense.

He didn’t handle the instant fame well, didn’t stay in shape in the offseasons and reported to camp overweight last spring.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

quote:

He’d been explicitly told by the Yankee trainers not to engage in any sort of physical activity that would potentially put his arm in harm’s way. You would think they wouldn’t have had to tell him that, but then there had already been too many things in Chamberlain’s past to indicate he wasn’t gifted with a whole lot of common sense.

hahaha excuse me while I disingenuously chastise a 26-year-old for playing with his son and air out some dirty laundry for the umpteenth time--HOW RECKLESS OF YOU!!! YOU SHOULDVE BEEN AN ABSENTEE DRUG ADDICT PARENT LIKE YOUR MOTHER.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
I fuckin love that he compares an injury on a trampoline while playing with a child to a fist fight WHAT HORRIBLE TURN WILL JOBA'S LIFE TAKE NEXT

isnt that right
Dec 8, 2009

Athletes should be forced to be in a protective bubble at all times during the offseason and fed through tubes. There are countless things that can injure a star player simply by eating breakfast.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Bill Madden is basically Dick Young 2.0 in how he approaches tone/etc. Also, a Spink Award winner.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
Hey, remember that time Joba got a DUI? This has nothing to do with anything except that the kid was a failure--speaking of which, let me tell you why this kid was a failure.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
Look At This Piece of poo poo Human Being Playing With His loving Kid, How loving Dare He
by Bill Madden

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Joba released from hospital; recovery timetable allows for potential return this season; Joba still with one arbitration year left in 2013.

Yankee Career Apparently Over For Fat Irresponsible Kid Haver
by Bill Madden

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

hcreight posted:

recovery timetable allows for potential return this season

No it doesn't. Joba's going to need many, many months of rehab just to be able to do basic things like walk, and the fact that he can't throw is going to severely compromise his Tommy John rehab. There is no return happening this season. If all goes well, maybe he'll have a chance to make a comeback in 2013.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

jeffersonlives posted:

No it doesn't. Joba's going to need many, many months of rehab just to be able to do basic things like walk, and the fact that he can't throw is going to severely compromise his Tommy John rehab. There is no return happening this season. If all goes well, maybe he'll have a chance to make a comeback in 2013.

I suppose I should have left that part out since the main source for that is Joba claiming the doctors told him that. But saying is Yankee career is apparently over without backing it up is still one of the many dumb things about that column.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

hcreight posted:

I suppose I should have left that part out since the main source for that is Joba claiming the doctors told him that. But saying is Yankee career is apparently over without backing it up is still one of the many dumb things about that column.

Joba said under a best case he might be able to throw sometime in July, which would still almost certainly push his major league return back to 2013. And this probably isn't a best case...

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
It's entirely possible he gets non-tendered for next season, depending on how the rehab goes, obviously. Even then, he's certainly not getting extended and will be a free agent after 2013.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

ThatsMyBoye posted:

It's entirely possible he gets non-tendered for next season, depending on how the rehab goes, obviously. Even then, he's certainly not getting extended and will be a free agent after 2013.

Possible? Sure. Apparent? No.

But if Madden doesn't say it's apparent he can't make his retarded Brien Taylor comparison.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

The comparison with Taylor isn't even worth nitpicking.

Taylor: Hurt and never pitched in MLB
Joba: Pitched in MLB pretty successfully for a bit

Not to mention it was people like Madden who caused a lot of the Jobamania stuff.

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

quote posted:

He didn’t handle the instant fame well, didn’t stay in shape in the offseasons and reported to camp overweight last spring.

I don't understand how someone can think that article was a good idea. What kind of mental hoops do you have to jump though in order to get to the point where you say "Yeah, this is some good writing."

I guess if you've been writing for a while you are used to sitting and nitpicking people and perhaps you just lose touch with reality? Maybe you are just so used to writing poo poo with a smug attitude with hindsight that you forget that you don't have to cut everyone down that didn't win your team a championship in the last 5 minutes. I don't know but gently caress Bill Madden.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
I'm pretty sure every NY sportswriter dreams of the day they get to take their knives to Jeter and get away with it

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

rockamiclikeavandal posted:

I don't understand how someone can think that article was a good idea. What kind of mental hoops do you have to jump though in order to get to the point where you say "Yeah, this is some good writing."

I'm betting the thought process was "dammit, ten minutes to press, just get something in let's go let's go let's go". Even if it doesn't explain the author it at least explains the editor.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I'm betting the thought process was "dammit, ten minutes to press, just get something in let's go let's go let's go". Even if it doesn't explain the author it at least explains the editor.
That's about 90% of opinion sportswriting.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Brace yourselves, the annual Fangraphs organizational rankings are coming:

Dave Cameron posted:

With a new wave of front office talent crashing into front offices are furious rates, it’s nearly impossible to turn over a front office and not get an analytical upgrade in the process, but the Orioles may have accomplished exactly that this winter.

Such prose :allears:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
that's the least stupid thing that has been posted on fangraphs in many moons

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Bert Sugar died of lung cancer yesterday. He was 75. Also, he owned.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I kind of want to see what tortured logic lets a team move up the rankings while getting banned from a country.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

tinstaach posted:

Brace yourselves, the annual Fangraphs organizational rankings are coming:

Such prose :allears:

"Front office" thrice in one sentence. David Cameron, everyone.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Mornacale posted:

"Front office" thrice in one sentence. David Cameron, everyone.

I didn't even notice.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I didn't even notice.

The roiling wave of letters crashed into you eyeballs, but once it was past your eyeballs the swell subsided and the letters settled into little pools behind your eyeballs and never managed to disturb your brains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Toffile posted:

I kind of want to see what tortured logic lets a team move up the rankings while getting banned from a country.

Dylan Bundy, essentially. Maybe a bit of Jonathan Schoop turning into a Top 100 prospect (51 or whatever BA has him is probably a bit high), but people freaking love Dylan Bundy.