Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
I keep seeing things that say not to sleep or even lie on your back briefly after 20 weeks or so. It's on website of the American Pregnancy Association, so I guess there must be real science behind it, but I have a hard time imagining that it's as dangerous as some sites are making it out to be since humans have managed to procreate for a really long time without any knowledge of what veins run where, and which positions produce optimal bloodflow.

I'm going to ask my doctor about it, but I don't go in again for another 1.5 weeks. Somebody please tell me you laid on your back without causing a major medical problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Each pregnancy is different, but I have always been a back sleeper including through my three previous 9+ lb. pregnancies. I start out on my left side but always in the night end up on my back (probably what got me my 4th pregnancy in the first place!) I've never had an issue, but it's better to be safe than sorry so I'd just start now if I were you. I doubt it's as bad as a lot of people claim, you know how some people freak out about babby makin'.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
I think it's really dependent on the woman. I have a couple of friends who will quite literally pass out if they lay on their backs for longer than about 10 minutes while pregnant. I, on the other hand, figured out my system and it works for me-- I put my body pillow next to me, and I lay half on it and half on the bed. I'm not flat on my back, but I'm comfortably on my back for sleep. These days I mostly sleep on my side with my daughter, but I still end up in the half-back position sometimes.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

Fire In The Disco posted:

I think it's really dependent on the woman.

This, plus I think it's dependent on how big and what position the baby is in. I could tolerate being on my back pretty well when my baby was in any position other than sunny side up, but whenever he was sunny side up, I would get terrible hip and back pain after 10 minutes on my back, which was especially bad because we had multiple ultrasound appointments with a perinatologist and each one was half an hour or longer laying on my back.

Just listen to your body, Mnemosyne. It will tell you when it's time to change positions.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Mnemosyne posted:

I'm going to ask my doctor about it, but I don't go in again for another 1.5 weeks. Somebody please tell me you laid on your back without causing a major medical problem.

I accidentally slept on my back all of the time while pregnant. My midwife and her supervising OB both said that my body would tell me if it didn't like it (I would feel faint or dizzy).

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Mnemosyne posted:

I keep seeing things that say not to sleep or even lie on your back briefly after 20 weeks or so. It's on website of the American Pregnancy Association, so I guess there must be real science behind it, but I have a hard time imagining that it's as dangerous as some sites are making it out to be since humans have managed to procreate for a really long time without any knowledge of what veins run where, and which positions produce optimal bloodflow.

If you feel good on your back, it's not really dangerous. I felt great on my back throughout my pregnancy. If there's a problem, you'll feel short of breath or dizzy.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/sleepingpositions.html

"What positions should I avoid?
Sleeping on your back: This can cause problems with backaches, breathing, digestive system, hemorrhoids, low blood pressure and decrease in circulation to your heart and your baby. This is a result of your abdomen resting on your intestines and major blood vessels (the aorta and vena cava)."

So take it as you will. It's not just a risk to the mother, though. I'll rest on my back, but I'm more of a side sleeper, anyway.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Lefou, I'm afraid I've been eating... you.
Poor Ezra has been terribly upset all day, crying on and off with giant baby tears. He has never been colicky so this is out of his norm. He is also more grunty. He is 11 weeks now, could he be teething? Or is it too early? He is drooling and biting more (though not enough that it seems to be obviously teething). We have tried all the usual culprits and nothing is helpful. Yesterday we were traveling and our schedule was all out of sorts, but today we are back to normal so I don't think that is it. His sad cries just break my heart. Any ideas, goons?

Chandrika
Aug 23, 2007

Crazy Old Clarice posted:

Poor Ezra has been terribly upset all day, crying on and off with giant baby tears. He has never been colicky so this is out of his norm. He is also more grunty. He is 11 weeks now, could he be teething? Or is it too early? He is drooling and biting more (though not enough that it seems to be obviously teething). We have tried all the usual culprits and nothing is helpful. Yesterday we were traveling and our schedule was all out of sorts, but today we are back to normal so I don't think that is it. His sad cries just break my heart. Any ideas, goons?

Often a one-day disruption causes more than one day's worth of unrest. I recommend putting Ezra in a sling and going for a long walk. You two can reconnect and he'll enjoy being near you. Even it it takes ages for him to get soothed, you'll get a nice walk in, and calm down yourself. This was a no-fail with my daughter, even though sometimes it felt like forever.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Ask me why I'm not squatting.
My mom (a nurse) noticed that my baby was drooling more and said that's a sign that his teeth are coming but that it can be a two month process, and that there will be a lot more drool and pain when the tooth or teeth are just about ready. It's apparently a long process because the teeth have to work through a hard ridge of gum.

Hopefully Ezra's moodiness is just for one day. When Desmond cries now, he has tears and that's just the worst :(

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010
Ok, so I don't want to sound like I'm being whiny... but I am concerned.

I'm 14w4d. In the first trimester I lost 10 pounds and half an inch around my waist. I had light nausea and a lot of exhaustion. Now I've gained back the half inch plus 1/4, but no weight. I feel perfectly normal... except a little extra tired. I feel like all the extra in my belly is just fat... no baby.

I know the 2nd trimester is supposed to be easy and nice, but it just has me worried that there's something wrong since I don't feel pregnant at all. We started telling people after we were 11 weeks and heard the heartbeat... now every time I tell someone, I wonder if I still actually am.

Please tell me I'm being crazy.

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

I wouldn't say you have reason to be overly concerned; I lost quite a bit of weight in the first trimester, and didn't start regaining until the latter half of the second trimester. Even now (30w6d) I've only gained 7-8lb from my starting weight. Baby is doing great and measured "exactly right" at my last checkup - all my prepregnancy clothes still fit (and are even a little looser!), except around the waistline. I have another checkup in 3 days, and she's been kicking away quite happily all the time! My mum was much the same with her pregnancies; she was back in her old jeans 2 days after giving birth to me.

If you're concerned though, just drop in and see your doctor. I actually bought a heart doppler for myself in the early weeks of pregnancy, because it was great reassurance to always be able to check the heartbeat; once I found it at 11 weeks, I was able to consistently find it whenever I was worried. A few weeks later of course I could feel her moving and that was even better!

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

SassySally posted:

I'm 14w4d. In the first trimester I lost 10 pounds and half an inch around my waist. I had light nausea and a lot of exhaustion. Now I've gained back the half inch plus 1/4, but no weight. I feel perfectly normal... except a little extra tired. I feel like all the extra in my belly is just fat... no baby.

I know the 2nd trimester is supposed to be easy and nice, but it just has me worried that there's something wrong since I don't feel pregnant at all. We started telling people after we were 11 weeks and heard the heartbeat... now every time I tell someone, I wonder if I still actually am.

You'd definitely know if there were no longer a baby in there. I wouldn't worry. It's pretty natural to feel kinda off/weird until you actually feel/see a more conclusive sign that there's actually a baby there. It didn't really click for me until I had my first ultrasound with my first. The bloating or "fat" is probably just your uterus expanding and/or gas associated with things shifting/changing in your body. I had my second ultrasound (dating) at 7 weeks this time around and didn't have another appointment until 14 weeks so I get where you're coming from. The first time I didn't have an appointment until 14 weeks and that was to hear the heartbeat. :)

Each time I lost 10+ pounds early on.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

SassySally posted:

I felt exactly the same, as horrible as morning sickness was at least it made me feel pregnant, then when that passed but before the bump appeared it was unsettling to have no symptoms.

I bought myself a baby heart rate monitor and that was pretty cool, but there have been warnings that they either lull people into a false sense of security when they have problems and rely on hearing the heartbeat to assume everything is fine, or make people panic when they can't hear a heartbeat when really it's just down to positioning.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

I posted earlier in the thread about having bought a home doppler. I have this one: Sonoline B, though I bought it used on Craigslist.

I really enjoyed having it, though I was unusual in that I was never concerned that something was wrong. I got it for a lot of reasons, one being that I'm a "techy" person who loves gadgets, electronics and science, and hey, inexpensive science gadget! Other than that, aside from setting your mind at ease, mine was really useful in helping my husband feel connected and involved. Usually he was the one asking if we could listen.

My ultrasound tech went off on some rant about how she wishes that dopplers were illegal for people to buy because all they do is freak people out and that she advises everyone not to get one. I got mine at 12 weeks, and I'm 26 weeks now, and so far, I've had nothing but good experiences with it.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Mnemosyne posted:

My ultrasound tech went off on some rant about how she wishes that dopplers were illegal for people to buy because all they do is freak people out and that she advises everyone not to get one. I got mine at 12 weeks, and I'm 26 weeks now, and so far, I've had nothing but good experiences with it.

Well, in a way she's right. For most people, they're not going to hear the heartbeat before 14 weeks with a doppler - especially not a home one. One of the reasons the OB practice I go to doesn't use the doppler until the 14 week appointment.

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.
I also purchased a handheld doppler in my 1st trimester and I found the heartbeat at 9w6d. I made sure not to get obsessive about it and only listened once every couple weeks or so, but it was one of my best purchases and I'm very happy I bought it.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
I didn't want to buy a doppler, but a friend of mine sent me hers to use. From 12-ish weeks until I started to get lots of regular movement around 16 weeks, it was really a huge relief to have. But given that I only really needed it for about 4 weeks, I'm glad I didn't buy one.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

buttzilla posted:

Well, in a way she's right. For most people, they're not going to hear the heartbeat before 14 weeks with a doppler - especially not a home one. One of the reasons the OB practice I go to doesn't use the doppler until the 14 week appointment.

All I have is anecdotal evidence, but when I got mine I read a ton of reviews and instructions for use, and the only people that I read about who weren't finding a heartbeat well before then were the people who mistakenly bought those devices that aren't actually dopplers. This kind of thing, which is actually more like an electronically amplified stethoscope: http://www.amazon.com/Graco-Sounds-Prenatal-Heart-Listener/dp/B004NSPFRI

I have heard that weight (especially when carried in the abdominal area) can affect how long it takes to hear the heartbeat, though again, anecdotally, my "apple-shaped" friend didn't have any problems getting a heartbeat with her home doppler pretty early on, though she did say something along the lines of not being able to get anything at 10 weeks or so.

My OB definitely doesn't wait nearly that long. I think they started checking me with the doppler around 9 weeks, though at that point I think they did say "Let's see if we can find anything."

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
One of my friends loaned me her amplifier-type system at my baby shower, and I really liked it. At that point I was massively pregnant so it was pretty easy to locate her and find her heartbeat. I liked it because she had long periods of inactivity and the whole juice/laying on side thing didn't work, so it was comforting to tell the triage nurse I could find her heartbeat the couple times I was worried enough to call.

Also I had a hard time sleeping by then, and it was kind of soothing to listen to her in the dark before bed. :3:

One word of warning, my OB said it's really easy to confuse your own heartbeat/bloodflow to the uterus with the baby's if you don't know what exactly you're listening for.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
So my wife has just caught a cold. She just finished her first trimester and can't really do much right now, just sleep. She's been coughing a lot, but still eating.

Are there any medicines or things she can do that won't harm the baby? I'm going to call the doctor if she feels the same tomorrow. I don't want to freak out, but it just pains me to see her like this.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
As the husband with a pregnant wife who complains about back and neck soreness even when not pregnant: How often do you ladies get massages? How would you have liked an hour every 2 weeks? Too much?

Edit: Oh god, reread this and I didnt mean to sound like a dick. She is worried about a single massage because she read something that they are bad while pregnant.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 27, 2012

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Twatty Seahag posted:

One word of warning, my OB said it's really easy to confuse your own heartbeat/bloodflow to the uterus with the baby's if you don't know what exactly you're listening for.

Yes, this was my only real problem with the doppler. There's a major vein that goes through your abdomen, and it's generally easier to pick up that one (since it doesn't move around like a baby does) than it is to find the baby. There are a few good YouTube videos that will demonstrate the difference for you though. Though you'll also find YouTube videos where women are using their doppler and saying things like "I always find the heartbeat in the same spot, right here," and they're probably doing it wrong. If it's always in the same spot, it's most likely your own vein.

Most (maybe all?) dopplers have a readout where it gives you the heartrate that you're listening to. That's the way you're generally able to tell. Your own will be roughly between 80 and 100, and the baby's will be way faster. It slows down as the pregnancy progresses, but you'll possibly find as fast as 170-ish if you can find the heartbeat early on. By the second trimester it will more likely be down to 150-130, though that's still significantly faster than your own, so you shouldn't have too much trouble.

I personally got mine and then practiced with it constantly for the first day. Like every hour or two I would find my own heartbeat (via the vein in my abdomen), get a feel for what that sounded like, then find the baby. I didn't have some desperate need to hear it that often, I just wanted to get the hang of using it. By day two, I could always find it.

The funny thing is that now, I pretty much don't use it anymore because sometime around 22 weeks, the baby noticed and decided he hated that thing. Every time I put it to my stomach, he kicks directly on the probe until I remove it. Early on I had to apply pressure to find the heartbeat, but now that I'm big like a beach ball, I'm hardly using any pressure at all, so I would be surprised if it's the pressure that's pissing him off. I don't know if he can hear it in there now or what's going on, but he has a definite opinion about dopplers. So now we rarely use it because my husband says that using it is "mean," since the baby doesn't seem to like it.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

Bank posted:

So my wife has just caught a cold. She just finished her first trimester and can't really do much right now, just sleep. She's been coughing a lot, but still eating.

Are there any medicines or things she can do that won't harm the baby? I'm going to call the doctor if she feels the same tomorrow. I don't want to freak out, but it just pains me to see her like this.
This is just from my Expecting 411 book, so don't hesitate to ask her doctor: for coughs: Robitussin DM. For nasal congestion, sudafed (for less than 72 hours), benadryl, claratin (not claratin D). Also I remember my doctor said I could use Afrin, but that's also only allowed for a short period of time, as listed in the instructions. I took that just right before bed and it helped loads.

Idonie
Jun 5, 2011

Bank posted:

Loratadine (trade name claritin) works wonders for me when I'm congested, and I just saw my OB today and she confirmed that it's fine during pregnancy.

Chart about over the counter meds during pregnancy: http://www.babycenter.com/0_chart-over-the-counter-medications-during-pregnancy_1486462.bc

Spermy Smurf posted:

As the husband with a pregnant wife who complains about back and neck soreness even when not pregnant: How often do you ladies get massages? How would you have liked an hour every 2 weeks? Too much?

Definitely, definitely not too much so long as the massage therapist knows how to do prenatal massage safely. It sounds wonderful.

Idonie fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 27, 2012

Idonie
Jun 5, 2011
I went to see my OB! There was an ultrasound, and a heartbeat, so now I am relieved. And I am officially 6 weeks 3 days, which makes my due date mid-November.

I am reminded once again how lucky I am to have an awesome OB who treats me as a fellow intelligent human being capable of understanding science and statistics, rather than as a hysterical female.

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

Me in a hotel with a mini-bar. How's that story end?

Idonie posted:

I went to see my OB! There was an ultrasound, and a heartbeat, so now I am relieved. And I am officially 6 weeks 3 days, which makes my due date mid-November.

I am reminded once again how lucky I am to have an awesome OB who treats me as a fellow intelligent human being capable of understanding science and statistics, rather than as a hysterical female.

Hey November buddy! They got a heartbeat for you already!? Was the ultrasound recognizable?

I am going in for my first prenatal Friday, at exactly 8 weeks :) Now I am looking forward to my appointment a little bit more! What science and statistics did you get? I'm a scientist, and I am a big fan of raw data.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Thanks for the suggestions -- we ended up calling the doctor and a nurse said to take Tylenol. My wife was aching and freezing all of a sudden so we erred on the side of caution. She actually had a 106F fever so we were freaking out. She's down to 99.0 or so now, and we're just gonna take it easy for a couple of days (i.e., no work).

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Idonie posted:

Loratadine (trade name claritin) works wonders for me when I'm congested, and I just saw my OB today and she confirmed that it's fine during pregnancy.

Chart about over the counter meds during pregnancy: http://www.babycenter.com/0_chart-over-the-counter-medications-during-pregnancy_1486462.bc

I take Zyrtec almost every day to control my dermographia and was told its safe for pregnancy, but I don't see it on that list. I hope I wasn't given bad info. Some google searches say its ok so I hope it is.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
My OB said it's class B, so yes, it is considered safe for pregnancy, but in this case, not so much for breastfeeding:

quote:

FDA pregnancy category B. Zyrtec is not expected to be harmful to an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant during treatment. Cetirizine can pass into breast milk and may harm a nursing baby. Do not use Zyrtec without telling your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.
From drugs.com

edit: vvvv Good to know. Hale is awesome.

Fire In The Disco fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 27, 2012

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Fire In The Disco posted:

My OB said it's class B, so yes, it is considered safe for pregnancy, but in this case, not so much for breastfeeding:

From drugs.com

Dr Hale says Zyrtec is fine when breastfeeding because "only 3 % of Zyrtec gets into breastmilk which is minimal. Zyrtec is one of the preferred antihistamines during breastfeeding because it is non-sedating"

http://www.infantrisk.com/forum/showthread.php?294-Veramyst&highlight=zyrtec

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010
Mucinex is also safe to take for congestion if she's all phlemy. Not Mucinex D or DM or anything, just plain old Mucinex.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Per doctor's orders, my wife is taking the rest of the week off. She has the flu :(

They said it probably isn't a big deal because she is just starting her second trimester, but we actually have our next OB appointment on Thursday to find out (hopefully what the sex is too).

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

So after a horrendous day yesterday of crying baby that was refusing to nurse and sleep, we both got diagnosed with Thrush. YAY!

I suspected I had it a few days ago, but he seemed fine and the symptoms I had could be just from a bad latch. But no, it's thrush. We're both being treated for it but I was advised against breastfeeding until it clears up, about a week. I'm pumping to maintain supply, but honestly, I'm so fed up with breastfeeding I'm tempted to just let my milk supply go and stick to bottles from here on out.

But then I feel like a failure thinking about doing that.

Breastfeeding is such a minefield of emotions. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't agonize over the decision to keep breastfeeding. It's really been an awful experience for me.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Bodnoirbabe posted:

So after a horrendous day yesterday of crying baby that was refusing to nurse and sleep, we both got diagnosed with Thrush. YAY!

I suspected I had it a few days ago, but he seemed fine and the symptoms I had could be just from a bad latch. But no, it's thrush. We're both being treated for it but I was advised against breastfeeding until it clears up, about a week. I'm pumping to maintain supply, but honestly, I'm so fed up with breastfeeding I'm tempted to just let my milk supply go and stick to bottles from here on out.

But then I feel like a failure thinking about doing that.

Breastfeeding is such a minefield of emotions. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't agonize over the decision to keep breastfeeding. It's really been an awful experience for me.

The suggestion to stop breastfeeding because of thrush is ridiculous to me. Your doctor told you not to breastfeed????? When my first baby and I had thrush, we continued to breastfeed and just treated both of us until it went away.

A lot of people find breastfeeding gets better after 6ish weeks. How old is your baby now? What problems are you having? I'm sorry you're having such a rough time! If you want support, you could try to find a la leche league meeting and go. They're usually great ladies willing to help out a lot.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
Six weeks was a magic number for both of my babies, all the cracks healed and the pain just receded into nothing. It also really helped to hear from my relatives who have similar skin to mine that their severely cracked nipples and breastfeeding pain went away at six weeks. It really went from an 8 or 9 on the pain scale to 0.

slowfoot
Jun 19, 2005

Cathis posted:

Hey November buddy! They got a heartbeat for you already!? Was the ultrasound recognizable?

I am going in for my first prenatal Friday, at exactly 8 weeks :) Now I am looking forward to my appointment a little bit more! What science and statistics did you get? I'm a scientist, and I am a big fan of raw data.

I'm also due in November :)

I don't really have a question for me. My sister was going to be due in October, but she went to her first appointment yesterday and found out the baby had died :( The doctor mentioned that her uterus was either heart-shaped or had a septum (apparently they are hard to tell apart), and that could have contributed to the miscarriage. Has anyone had any experience with either of these? Or distinguishing between them? She's really depressed and stressed out. And I feel terrible for her.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

The suggestion to stop breastfeeding because of thrush is ridiculous to me. Your doctor told you not to breastfeed????? When my first baby and I had thrush, we continued to breastfeed and just treated both of us until it went away.

A lot of people find breastfeeding gets better after 6ish weeks. How old is your baby now? What problems are you having? I'm sorry you're having such a rough time! If you want support, you could try to find a la leche league meeting and go. They're usually great ladies willing to help out a lot.

The doctor said we would just continue to give the fungus back and forth to each other if I breastfeed. Also, the topical cream that they gave me says to not ingest and I'd be terrified if I failed to wipe it off properly before he latched.

I'm giving him the pumped milk, so he's still getting liquid gold.

He's 5 weeks on Thursday. I've heard the 6 week magic number before. I don't know if I have the strength. UGH. I do. I've wanted to quit for so so long now and I still keep going. As many cons as I can list, there is one huge big pro that seems to make them all seem worth pushing through: the bond. I do miss the bond when he would latch right and eat and just be still and content. But I hardly ever get that anymore.

He has a bad latch. His mouth is small and he doesn't open wide enough to take in enough nipple. Also he gets lazy if he DOES latch well and will let areola leave his mouth until he's just on the nipple again. I've been to a LLL meeting and they had some suggestions, but he still wont latch right. I've been hoping with time he will get it right. He also has a really strong lower jaw and so when I try to open it more, he resists and it doesn't open.

So frustrated and tired of fighting with him about his latch and hearing him scream in frustration when I break his bad latch again. I've seriously just bite my lip and bear the pain most of the time just so he can eat. The other times I break down and give him a bottle. I know, I know, nipple confusion isn't helping. I've read it all, trust me.

He's not suffering for it. He was weighed at the doctor and he's 10lbs 11oz now. He was 8.1 when he was born, so I'm doing something right I guess.

So yeah, that's where I'm at.

Bodnoirbabe fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 27, 2012

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
My son was born on the same day as yours Bodnoirbabe, so I've been right there along with you and your posts. I'm having the same struggles you're having, but I haven't had the time nor energy to post until now. First, the little man (aka Sammy):

My nipples are bright red cherries right now because we're having latch problems too. Every time he latches I shout out in pain, some times it gets better, other times I grimace every time he swallows. I had mastitis about a week and a half ago so that slowed down any progress we had, as it was too painful and I was too tired and sick to worry about getting it right. I saw one lactation consultant after we brought him home and said we were doing fine. I've booked another one at the hospital where he was born next week to give it one last shot. If it doesn't improve after that, I'll try to make it to when I go back to work in May, but I can't promise I'll make it.

I'm still on an emotional roller coaster and it's making things hard too. He's not a really happy baby so being home with him all day is draining. I want to go out and do things during the day with him but the last two times we've taken him out he's melted down. We had friends over on Sunday and he just cried the whole time they were here and I didn't get to visit like I wanted to. I'm going to try to go to the mall tomorrow, so I can at least walk around and not be tied down to a shopping cart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Lefou, I'm afraid I've been eating... you.
Gravitate, Sammy is ridiculously adorable ... that tiny little mouth! *sqweee*