Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Aren't there entire shows that are bankrolled on the calculation of whatever small percentage of the market will pay hundreds of (converted) dollars to buy the series / merch after it has aired? It would be really cool if we got some independent and unique types of shows to get made that way because it wouldn't matter as much when their ratings tanked while they aired. Probably just more loli jr high dance party shows though :(

In happier news I just got to the massive infodump that is episode 40. e: 40 is the one where Julian goes to Phezzan and decides to watch the Future History Channel on the way there. I remembered that this episode existed but didn't recall any specific content.

THE FUTURE

A 70.7 Meg floppy drive, not bad future, not bad.

It seems we're still using DOS in the future:

Micro$oft :argh:

QBasic as well. Sure, why not.

And man, I did NOT remember these frames at all, maybe I should stop watching this show at work...
:nws: http://i.imgur.com/SLe4R.jpg
What the hell is your problem, Future Strip Club <:mad:>

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Truly treading down the path to decadence.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Takes No Damage posted:

It would be really cool if we got some independent and unique types of shows to get made that way because it wouldn't matter as much when their ratings tanked while they aired. Probably just more loli jr high dance party shows though :(
More than likely nearly everything you watch and like that is aired on TV is just that. Out side of Gundam, shonen adaptations, little kids shows and family fare there is very little anime that isn't 11pm to 5am programing. Everything from GitS:SAC to Kaiba.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Takes No Damage posted:

And man, I did NOT remember these frames at all, maybe I should stop watching this show at work...
:nws: http://i.imgur.com/SLe4R.jpg

Haha. It looks almost like they had a totally different artist come in to draw big bitches.

A far cry from the normally wooden clothed figures in the show :P

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Nephilm posted:

Doesn't that account for like 90% of all fiction? In the specific case of the anime industry you can point out how an audience grew up watching, for instance robot shows and... well, never stopped liking them, which is a completely legitimate position. And however you may look at them, some of these shows that look childish are specifically aimed at these same grown-up audiences (compare to adult cartoons like The Simpsons and Ren&Stimpy; something like MLP *is* aimed at children) and those are the ones that hit, because anime for little kids are their own category. The trait of manchildren would be mostly attributed to the fact that in many cases they're spending a significant percentage of their livelihood on overpriced merchandise, not to mention a blatant embrace of the most extreme excesses of said materialism and/or associated manias/fetishes.

Mm. Of course a great deal of fiction is escapist, but I'm still having trouble imagining why a grown up would fantasise or relate to lollipop-headed, shrieking five year olds running around and shooting magic out of their bloated eyes. Maybe I grew up differently to most because I didn't watch much TV when I was a kid, so a lot of this kind of thing doesn't have a nostalgia factor for me.

Takes No Damage posted:

Aren't there entire shows that are bankrolled on the calculation of whatever small percentage of the market will pay hundreds of (converted) dollars to buy the series / merch after it has aired? It would be really cool if we got some independent and unique types of shows to get made that way because it wouldn't matter as much when their ratings tanked while they aired. Probably just more loli jr high dance party shows though :(

I always thought Welcome to the NHK was kind of an extreme parody of this kind of culture, but it seems more and more like a hard hitting documentary with every post...

DamnGlitch posted:

Haha. It looks almost like they had a totally different artist come in to draw big bitches.

A far cry from the normally wooden clothed figures in the show :P

Seriously. I bet they had to contract outsiders to come in and draw the other partially nude/topless scenes as well.

"Hey man, we need you to come in and draw Elfriede's bare back!"

That said, I absolutely love how all the hairstyles are drawn in LotGH. Reinhard's mane is more detailed than many of the battleships.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Takes No Damage posted:

Future German Strip Club. :eng101:

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Chas McGill posted:

Mm. Of course a great deal of fiction is escapist, but I'm still having trouble imagining why a grown up would fantasise or relate to lollipop-headed, shrieking five year olds running around and shooting magic out of their bloated eyes.

There is no pretty answer to this. (hint: :pedo: + :anime:)

Anime viewer demographics are really weird and (in my opinion) damning. In cases about little girls like Madoka or generic fanservice shows, it'll be at least half creepy 30-something dudes. Mech shows most people would assume are targeting teenage boys or younger are mostly watched by women (presumably because they're not about 14 year old girls).

Basically the industry has a good deal of self examination to do.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Madoka is an awesome deconstruction of a genre.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Nephilm posted:

Madoka is an awesome deconstruction of a genre.

Please no shut up, this conversation just popped up and as was reinforced there, it's a thing uniformly said by people unfamiliar with the magical girl stuff it's supposedly deconstructing. It's just a gorier magical girl made explicitly for adult men, really. That's it.

Also this topic has veered well off what it should be.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Because being dark in hindsight is an intended staple of the magical girl genre, but sure, whatever.

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Seriously, the range of hairstyles is wonderful.

I particularly like Reuental's Clark Gable.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
It must have been a serious pain in the rear end to design so many characters who share identical uniforms and still have them be visually distinctive and memorable. I wonder how much of peoples' appearances are laid out in the books and how much the animators had to come up with on their own.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Future German Strip Club. :eng101:

Somehow this does help make sense of it all... I had wondered why the Empire seemed so monolithic in their race and culture, but this episode laid out how Goldenbaum specifically selected white Germanic people to be the new 'noble' class. Oh and holocausting 4 BILLION people with his Inferior Genes law thing :stare: Reinhard sorta/kinda letting that one planet get nuked during the civil war seems completely tame in comparison.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Somebody competent finally encoded My Conquest is the Sea of Stars. Click the group name for 720p if that's more your speed. The QTS raw that the previous release used is fairly awful, so replacing it might not be the worst idea.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh good, previously the only options were standard 4:3 or HD with the top and bottom cropped to force widescreen. Hopefully this is the best of both, checking it out tomorrow.

\/\/\/ oops, the page says 1080x1036, that's not the aspect ratio I was thinking about. In fact, what is that? It's almost square, certainly not widescreen.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Mar 29, 2012

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Takes No Damage posted:

Oh good, previously the only options were standard 4:3 or HD with the top and bottom cropped to force widescreen. Hopefully this is the best of both, checking it out tomorrow.

It's identical to the QTS raw in that respect, cropped (it was of course a movie, so this is how it was originally shown even if not animated), it's just that the encoder was competent.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!
After starting this journey in december, I have finally finished it about five minutes ago. This show is not only probably the best anime I have ever watched, but also pretty much the best show I have ever seen. I would not hesitate a single moment to call it the best show ever made either.

I am glad I watched it, and I'm kinda sad that we probably won't see anything similar ever again.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Too bad normal people don't have the attention span to get invested in shows like this. You can do some truly amazing things narratively when the audience understand and cares about your characters.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Uznare posted:

After starting this journey in december, I have finally finished it about five minutes ago. This show is not only probably the best anime I have ever watched, but also pretty much the best show I have ever seen. I would not hesitate a single moment to call it the best show ever made either.

I am glad I watched it, and I'm kinda sad that we probably won't see anything similar ever again.

You haven't watched many, series have you?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Just because you nitpicked it to hell doesn't mean everyone else didn't enjoy it.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Even if I didn't like it (I really did) I'd have to concede that there's nothing quite the same as LotGH out there. I tried watching Crest of the Stars but the art style is so hideous compared to LotGH that I never made it past the first episode.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 6, 2012

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

DamnGlitch posted:

Just because you nitpicked it to hell doesn't mean everyone else didn't enjoy it.

There's a difference between enjoying and calling it "the best ever made". Hyperbole much?

Chas McGill posted:

Even if I didn't like it (I really did) I'd have to concede that there's nothing quite the same was LotGH out there. I tried watching Crest of the Stars but the art style is so hideous compared to LotGH that I never made it past the first episode.

Wow really? I guess you hate any depiction of humans that doesn't follow perfectly realistic proportions?

linall
Feb 1, 2007

Nephilm posted:

There's a difference between enjoying and calling it "the best ever made". Hyperbole much?

Well yeah, but he just finished the series. Most people tend towards hyperbole immediately after watching a show even if you don't. There isn't really a whole lot of call for the smug condescension.

On the other hand:

Chas McGill posted:

Even if I didn't like it (I really did) I'd have to concede that there's nothing quite the same as LotGH out there. I tried watching Crest of the Stars but the art style is so hideous compared to LotGH that I never made it past the first episode.
The art style bugged me a little bit at the beginning, but I can forgive a lot for the smuggest space elves and their funny little world.

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

linall posted:

Well yeah, but he just finished the series. Most people tend towards hyperbole immediately after watching a show even if you don't. There isn't really a whole lot of call for the smug condescension.

Especially since it really is one of the best shows ever made.:colbert:

linall
Feb 1, 2007

Rakugoon posted:

Especially since it really is one of the best shows ever made.:colbert:

Well yeah, but that's a given.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Nephilm posted:

Wow really? I guess you hate any depiction of humans that doesn't follow perfectly realistic proportions?

That's an interesting extrapolation based on what I said. It's true that I do prefer more realistic depictions of humans, but you can hardly accuse me of not liking anything that isn't perfectly proportionate after I've been singing praise for LotGH. I wouldn't post so often on the anime forum about various animes that aren't photorealistic, would I?

Crest of the Stars just didn't look good to me, so I stopped watching it.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 6, 2012

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Chas McGill posted:

Crest of the Stars just didn't look good to me, so I stopped watching it.

Despite Nephilm apparently liking it, Crest and Banner are quite good and get consistently better as they go, both content and art wise. GIS Banner III if you want to see how drastically the art style changes.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Just wanted to pop in here to say that I watched the whole main series after having it recommended in the Infinite Space Let's Play thread. Probably the first anime I watched in years, it was really something else.

How many of the side-stories/prequels are subbed these days?

Good_Haro
Mar 14, 2009

Noted shitposter.

FrickenMoron posted:

How many of the side-stories/prequels are subbed these days?

All of them.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Rakugoon posted:

Despite Nephilm apparently liking it, Crest and Banner are quite good and get consistently better as they go, both content and art wise. GIS Banner III if you want to see how drastically the art style changes.

Mm. But can I be bothered getting through all that? Probably not. Maybe I'm a terribly shallow person. Maybe I just don't dig the concept of space elves.

Anyway, to get back on topic: now that I've finished the main series, which of the side stories is worth checking out? Bear in mind that I don't really like Reinhard, so I don't want to watch something that's only about him.

Good_Haro
Mar 14, 2009

Noted shitposter.

Chas McGill posted:

Anyway, to get back on topic: now that I've finished the main series, which of the side stories is worth checking out? Bear in mind that I don't really like Reinhard, so I don't want to watch something that's only about him.

A good 75% or more of the sidestories are Reinhard-centric from what I remember. Yang has a long one in Spiral Labyrinth though (which, if I'm remembering right is the story called "Spiral Labyrinth").

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The good thing about the prequels is that even though they're Reinhard centric, Kircheis does all the footwork. Also Schenkopp is basically the main character in at least one of them.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
I finally finished watching this show and if it wasn't for this forum (and specifically the wiki) I wouldn't have sat through 2+ days of LoGH content over these past few months. But whatever I would have done instead wouldn't have even held a candle to it.

Thank you.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Rakugoon posted:

The good thing about the prequels is that even though they're Reinhard centric, Kircheis does all the footwork. Also Schenkopp is basically the main character in at least one of them.

I'll definitely watch one with Schenkopp as the main character.

Authorman posted:

I finally finished watching this show and if it wasn't for this forum (and specifically the wiki) I wouldn't have sat through 2+ days of LoGH content over these past few months. But whatever I would have done instead wouldn't have even held a candle to it.

Thank you.

Yeah, normally I'd feel like a terrible person for watching over 100 episodes of an anime, but this was worth it. At the end I had the same feeling as when I finish a good book and gently close it, patting the cover in appreciation and satisfaction.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Uznare posted:

I wonder how interested modern audiences would be in something comparable to this.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Unfortunately it requires that rare quality known as "an attention span", so most will never know its joys and sorrows :(

FrancisYorkMorgan
Jun 6, 2010
From /m/ - thread in question link: http://boards.4chan.org/m/res/7668606

I've quoted all relevant info for posting here as well. Check out all the links. The dub is actually pretty good. It could use work on the emotional front but I think it would have gotten better as time went on.

quote:

I've just known today that LOGH episodes 51 and 52 were dubbed in English circa 1999. The dub is quite good, with Micheal Kopsa (as Yang), Brad Swile and Scott McNeil. Too bad the American release never got real.

quote:

Scene 1: Oberstein, Reinhard, Murai, Yang, Schönkopf.
http://kiwi6.com/file/ah492mf3p5

Scene 2: Streit, Reinhard.
http://kiwi6.com/file/d2qyri8r30

quote:

Staatskapelle Dresden wants outrageous licensing fees for an outside-of-Japan release.

Staatskapelle Dresden is the orchestra who did all of LoGH's classical music.

quote:

Sorry, can't do that. I have done more than I should have.

Now it's up to the fan base: if you want LoGH in your country, tell it to the anime publishers. If they see enough guys who bother them with such an old title, they may think about releasing it, or at least ask the license holder for information which would be a great step forward. Spread the word.

Finally the coolest link:

Their is even a picture of the credits with the English voice actors listed.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Legend of Galactic Heroes' rights are held up by the same company that's holding up Dennou Coil: the publisher of the novels, Tokuma Shoten. If you think Japanese anime companies are unreasonable and steeped in old ideas/business models, you do not want to think much about book publishers. The only reason Australia even got Dennou Coil out of them (and we in the US obviously haven't benefited from this cracking of the door) is that the head of the company was a huge fan and went to Japan repeatedly to negotiate.

Our anime industry, at this point, is not run by that sort of fan of anything. Unless someone with tremendous amounts of money, free time, and love for this series arises, this will never leave the shores of Japan. It certainly won't be dubbed beyond that apparent tiny spec dub of two episodes.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Takes No Damage posted:

Too bad normal people don't have the attention span to get invested in shows like this. You can do some truly amazing things narratively when the audience understand and cares about your characters.

Takes No Damage posted:

Unfortunately it requires that rare quality known as "an attention span", so most will never know its joys and sorrows :(
How much "attention span" are we talking about here? I've watched 6 episodes and My Conquest is the Sea of Stars and the only reason I'm contemplating watching more are these comments and the ridiculous amount of praise the show gets. What makes this show good? The characters? The plot? The realism? The message? The space fantasy aspect? So far I found all those things lacking or missing and the latter outright distracting.

The worst thing for me is the animation though. I admit that I would have given this show more of a chance if they had hired some half-decent actors and filmed it live action with a cellphone camera. I'm glad I don't speak Japanese because if I didn't have the subtitles to distract me from the horrible static faces and out of sync flapping mouths I'd go insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Mercrom posted:

How much "attention span" are we talking about here? I've watched 6 episodes and My Conquest is the Sea of Stars and the only reason I'm contemplating watching more are these comments and the ridiculous amount of praise the show gets. What makes this show good? The characters? The plot? The realism? The message? The space fantasy aspect? So far I found all those things lacking or missing and the latter outright distracting.

The worst thing for me is the animation though. I admit that I would have given this show more of a chance if they had hired some half-decent actors and filmed it live action with a cellphone camera. I'm glad I don't speak Japanese because if I didn't have the subtitles to distract me from the horrible static faces and out of sync flapping mouths I'd go insane.

The beginning is pretty dull because it focuses on Yang doing trite poo poo before he surrounds himself with the interesting characters on his side of the story, but eventually it gets rolling by focusing more on Rienhard and then the good characters on Yang's side getting introduced. If it wasn't clear already by what I just said, the characters are the series' strong point, and truly the only particularly noteworthy thing about it beside the usage of musical pieces, but then I'm also a persona non-grata in this thread because I don't consider it the missed second coming of anime-Christ, along with saying it's not really being a series I'd recommend to other people because, as I just said and you yourself noticed, it takes so long to get moving and then by the latter 3rd/4th it just drags on and you're just kind of keeping at it because you've already invested so much time.

Kinda like LOST... but at least this one has a logical conclusion so there's that.