Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elemennop
Dec 29, 2004

only the martyrs have their identities remembered. please remember me, i beg you!
it's because when you stop hyping up fighters as undefeated and invincible, and force the best fighters to compete, fans become accustomed to non-perfect records. see every other sport in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Elemennop posted:

it's because when you stop hyping up fighters as undefeated and invincible, and force the best fighters to compete, fans become accustomed to non-perfect records. see every other sport in the world.

There's a common saying if you're undefeated you're not fighting the right people. Jon Jones dq not withstanding is a whole other animal though.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Has there ever been a knockout with a superman punch?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dancing Peasant posted:

Quite a few. James Irvin/Houston Alexander and Gonzaga/Jordan just off the top of my head.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Dancing Peasant posted:

Travis Browne KOing Stefan Struve is probably the best recent example (.gif linked for size)

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
What's the difference between a british and an american double?

MacDeuce
Oct 23, 2010
Whoever answers this question, please include GIFs of Bisping's double attempt vs Hendo and Rashad's power double striking combo on Rampage. For comparison, and since the suga gif hasn't been posted in a while.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
British double

American double

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

Sometimes I look for Rupees.

cisneros posted:

What's the difference between a british and an american double?

Realtalk: they aren't two different wrestling moves, it's a joke on how the UK doesn't have a wrestling tradition, so fighters from there tend to be understandably worse at wrestling than their American counterparts.

Biafraid
Jan 31, 2008

yeah.
There was this superman punch KO like a month ago on Legacy FC 10, I think it's the best one I've seen.

omg car crash
Jul 21, 2008

PRIDE after the fall. Champion, 2011. :dealwithit:
I had one of my teeth shattered by a superman punch while training for a fight without headgear OR a mouth guard. Moral of the story: I'm pretty drat retarded.

workinonit
Jul 11, 2009
Two things:

1) I was browsing fight records for old school UFC fighters and noticed that the infamous Joe Son once lost a fight via 'Submission (Terror)'. What's that all about, and what other bizarre/hilarious reasons for fights finishing should I be aware of?

2) When Terry Etim got knocked out by Edson Barboza, what's going on in his brain that makes him stiffen up like that instead of going limp (apart from "OH MY GOD WHAT THE gently caress JUST HAPPENED?!" of course)? It's really weird looking.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Terry Etim experienced the "fencing response". However, I'm not sure what causes it and why some other dudes just get slumped out instead.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

workinonit posted:

Two things:

1) I was browsing fight records for old school UFC fighters and noticed that the infamous Joe Son once lost a fight via 'Submission (Terror)'. What's that all about, and what other bizarre/hilarious reasons for fights finishing should I be aware of?

There's an odd tapout in this video that might be the one. Also features the nut punches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N9eRehnMiY

Boregasm
Nov 18, 2009

workinonit posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCauMWNocKw

Emmanuel Yarborough won via Submission (Smother).

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

workinonit posted:

Two things:

"Failure to stand up from butt scoot"

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqX_yh_HJU0&t=225s

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

workinonit posted:

Two things:

Mario Neto defeats Gary Goodridge Submission (No Apparent Reason) UVF 6 - Universal Vale Tudo Fighting 6 3/3/1997 1 6:02
Frank Shamrock defeats Enson Inoue DQ (Egan Inoue Ran Into the Ring) VTJ 1997 - Vale Tudo Japan 1997 11/29/1997 2 7:17
Matt Makowski defeats Nick Serra DQ (Wouldn't Get Up From Butt Scoot) EliteXC - Primetime 5/31/2008 2 3:57

Then click this link: http://www.sherdog.com/events/WVC-3-World-Vale-Tudo-Championship-3-338

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Tank Abbott got DQed because he thought you could win via throwing a man out of the ring. Then he tried to do that.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Captain Log posted:

Tank Abbott got DQed

Nope.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
James Thompson submitted Bob Sapp with a takedown.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

fatherdog posted:

Nope.

I sure as gently caress thought someone did that. Don't tell me I believe a lie!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Then click this link: http://www.sherdog.com/events/WVC-3-World-Vale-Tudo-Championship-3-338

"Submission - Fan Interference"? Shouldn't that be a no contest? Like did Royce do a run-in and armbar this guy and the ref rolled with it?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Captain Log posted:

I sure as gently caress thought someone did that. Don't tell me I believe a lie!

he tried but the guy's corner pushed him back into the ring. Then Tank tried to complain to the ref that they were cheating, at which point he was told ring out was not a victory condition.

If I remember correctly, there wasn't even a rule about leaving the octagon at the time. The next UFC they put it in that you couldn't leave or attempt to remove your opponent from the cage.

This is all off memory so FD may contradict me with better info.

Flying-Chip
May 2, 2004

When Ken Shamrock's corner threw the towel because they thought he was having a heart attack.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
GOON PROJECT: somebody make a valentines day car of ken shamrock with a heart on it with the caption "PETEY MY HEART" then send it to me.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

workinonit posted:

If there was any justice in the world the finish of Hugo Duarte vs. Mark Kerr at Pride 4 would be recorded as "technical submission (was a bitch)" instead of just a regular ol' TKO.

E Lucevan Le Stelle
May 9, 2005
Future Breed Machine

Moose Bigelow posted:

"Failure to stand up from butt scoot"

If that's the Makowski-Serra one, wasn't it just a tko from leg kicks?

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--kqaR4QAHE&t=525s

I don't know, leg kicks might have attributed to it but he was trying to pull guard other times in the fight

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

henkman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--kqaR4QAHE&t=525s

I don't know, leg kicks might have attributed to it but he was trying to pull guard other times in the fight

DQ (refused to stand from butt scoot)

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

E Lucevan Le Stelle posted:

If that's the Makowski-Serra one, wasn't it just a tko from leg kicks?

I was there. In person. He refused to stand up from the butt scoot. Matt Serra was sitting in his corner just looking outright embarrassed. It was great.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy
Is that still up on wikipedia like that? Because I edited it like, years ago.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

MycroftXXX posted:

I was there. In person. He refused to stand up from the butt scoot. Matt Serra was sitting in his corner just looking outright embarrassed. It was great.

The best part was that it was around the same time as the PrimeTime series on GSP/Serra II, during which Nick Serra was quoted several times as saying that GSP was a quitter with no heart.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I just watched the main card for UFC 141 and had a few questions:

1) When did Zuffa start splitting the prelims off onto a second disc? Seems kind of goofy to have 4 fights & a countdown show on a single disc.

2) Jimy Hettes looked like a million bucks. Is he the real deal?

3) Joe Rogan was freaking out about Donald Cerrone keeping his mouth open during his fight with Nate Diaz. Post-fight Cerrone said his lip was split, I assumed part of it was his nose was messed up, and I can't find anything that makes it sound like he was seriously hurt. Was there something else going on here?

4) Which Diaz is better?

5) Did Lesnar not really have his heart into the fight with Overeem, or else did he just ignore the whole "you are much better at wrestling than Overeem, try to take him down more than once before you are inevitably liver kicked into retirement" thing because he wanted to fail at throwing punches?

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
2. Hettes has only had 2 fights in the UFC. He looked good in them but they were also against average/bad competition so he might be a real contender but it's too early to tell.

5. Brock doesn't react well to getting hit (evidence: all his fights). Overeem hit him.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
2) Possibly. But keep in mind his first two fights have been against Alex Caceres and Nam Phan. Arguably two of the worst featherweights UFC has. His next fight is against Steven Siler, another turd. But he's a cool kid so I wish for him the best of luck.

4) Nick

5) I believe Lesnar had his heart into his training, just not his heart into fighting. After the past two years with all of his medical problems, he likely decided that he doesn't need to risk it when he has a family to take care of. As of now he can earn about the same amount of money doing WWE that he did doing MMA, except he doesn't have to push himself nearly as hard.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Rodney the Piper posted:

5) Did Lesnar not really have his heart into the fight with Overeem, or else did he just ignore the whole "you are much better at wrestling than Overeem, try to take him down more than once before you are inevitably liver kicked into retirement" thing because he wanted to fail at throwing punches?

Overeem's defensive wrestling is decent, he is strong, and when you couple that with the huge disparity in striking skills between the two it's easy to see how Brock wasn't able to close the distance except when he went for that lovely single leg at the beginning of the fight.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

1st AD posted:

Overeem's defensive wrestling is decent, he is strong, and when you couple that with the huge disparity in striking skills between the two it's easy to see how Brock wasn't able to close the distance except when he went for that lovely single leg at the beginning of the fight.

and got caught in a guillotine

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Yeah thats something i noticed on the ufc.tv alt camera angles. When brock grabs the single overeem grabs a guillotine and broxk lets go and gets away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I believe Dana said that Brock agreed to do the Overeem fight and then a UFC title fight if he won, but he would retire after either a loss or winning the belt again. Many say if you are talking about retirement you are probably better off retiring.