Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
It feels like not getting anywhere quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reddeathdrinker
Aug 5, 2003

Scotland the What?

Nebakenezzer posted:

What's Siberia like? I've always pictured it like certain parts of Canada (IE cold, full of trees.)

Nothing like that at all - instead, it was full of trees, and cold... :v:

No smoking on the aircraft, but unlike the UK, smoking is still OK in bars, hotels etc.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Jetblue captain loses his poo poo midflight, is subdued by passengers:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57405282/jetblue-captain-subdued-mid-flight-after-erratic-behavior/

I cannot even imagine how scary it would be to have the loving captain of the aircraft start screaming about bombs and poo poo at 35,000ft.

Mobius1B7R
Jan 27, 2008

I don't understand why all this stupid stuff is happening at the airline I work for. Maybe we need better screening.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Wow, I sure am glad for the CBS NEWS ANIMATION of an airliner cruising through some clouds. That really helped me understand exactly what those passengers were going through right at the moment!

[e] ahahahahaa and the radial blur effect to show the captain "bolting for the door" from his perspective. Someone's been playing a little too much Need For Speed

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Mobius1B7R posted:

I don't understand why all this stupid stuff is happening at the airline I work for. Maybe we need better screening.

poo poo happens everywhere. The airline I used to work for has its share of crazies too.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Preoptopus posted:

So how long does one get screamed at by superiors while at attention for something like this?

Um, if he doesn't end up in the brig, I would be willing to bet a lot on him losing his wings and commission (or position as a warrant-officer).

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
Is there like an insurance for military accidents then?

Also found this on Gizmodo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3f49oEyk5bw
Group makes giant paper airplane that flies across the dessert.

http://gizmodo.com/5895876/these-people-flew-a-giant-45+foot-paper-airplane-over-the-arizona-desert?tag=airplanes

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

two_beer_bishes posted:

poo poo happens everywhere. The airline I used to work for has its share of crazies too.

Glad to see the "coffee, tea, or me?" breed of cabin crew is still around...

quote:

A helicopter with heat-seeking equipment was called in, and Bradford was discovered hiding behind a shed shortly before midnight.

His only attire was a pair of flip-flops and a wristwatch.

:cawg:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Preoptopus posted:

Yup, it's called income tax.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
I went to the AF Armament Museum outside Eglin and took a couple pictures:

Thud

GBU-15

GBU-28

AIM-7

AIM-120

AGM-88 and HARM Targeting System

P-80

More Thud

Phantom

Last operational B-47

Voodoo

F-89

AGM-109 MRASM (see below)

Name that aircraft

Should be self explanatory

33rd had the most kills during the Gulf War (16), as well as the most MiG-29 kills (5) and the only kill by a USMC pilot (exchange officer.)

Viper

Business end of the Hawg

Run of the mill AC-130

Actually this is 53-3129, affectionately known as the "First Lady," the first C-130 to roll off the production line in 1955. She was converted to gunship configuration in 1968 and served faithfully until retirement in 1995.

40mm Bofors

B-57

Should be obvious

Name that missile

Here's a hint...it was next to this bad boy.

"Big Tail" SR-71

Mace

One of the last Pave Lows in service, took part in rescue operations after the Jonestown Massacre.

I've got a bunch more of all the munitions they had on the inside, if people are interested I can post some of those.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I'm going back next time I'm in Destin, I want to go inside now.

Last time we were there we were staying on the beach and there was so much eye candy it was unreal. Helicopters were constantly flying by and military aircraft were zooming by every 1-5 mins or so.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Great shots! The mystery plane isn't an F-111 is it? The landing gear makes me think so, but then the wings are all wrong looking (not swing wing, clearly...)

When I was 10 or so my dad took me out to a National Guard camp to see the airplanes on static display. What stuck with me to this day is how HUGE the F-105 is. I mean, I the Tomcat and Rhino are "pretty big" but the F-105 dwarfs them.

Then someone at some point decided this would be a brilliant role for the biggest gently caress off fighter/bomb truck they could find:

It worked about as well as you'd imagine.

Edit: Ok my Google-fu has made a liar out of me: The F-105 wasn't that much bigger than the -4 or -14.

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 28, 2012

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Um...they clearly ARE swing-wing. It's a Vark.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Previa_fun posted:

Then someone at some point decided this would be a brilliant role for the biggest gently caress off fighter/bomb truck they could find:

I like that paint scheme, though. You can really see the thunderbird on the belly.

I wonder how long before they transition to F-35s? Or maybe F-22s but I can't see them using something so big and expensive.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Sagebrush posted:

I like that paint scheme, though. You can really see the thunderbird on the belly.

I wonder how long before they transition to F-35s? Or maybe F-22s but I can't see them using something so big and expensive.

Thunderbirds will disband before they task that many already scarce 22's and 35's to permanent air show duty.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Preoptopus posted:

Sure, although it can be kind of hard filling out the paperwork...

quote:

In December 1942, the University of California agreed, at the insistence of J. Robert Oppenheimer and Ernest O. Lawrence, to become the manager of the secret Los Alamos laboratory. Well, in truth, they agreed to manage some kind of laboratory — they didn’t know it was at Los Alamos. They didn’t even know what state it was in, much less what it was supposed to be doing. As manager, their job was to procure supplies and manage personnel employment.

And, as a consequence, purchase insurance for the lab. Which is one of many things that made the UC’s secretary and finance officer, Robert Mackenzie Underhill, unhappy. Because what prudent finance officer would let such a project be uninsured against hazards? But it’s awful hard to find insurance when you don’t know where the project is much less what is to be insured against.

General Groves was finally kind enough to give the poor financial manager a hand:

I can only imagine what their premiums were like though.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Thunderbirds will disband before they task that many already scarce 22's and 35's to permanent air show duty.

My bet is they'll end up flying the replacement for the T-38 (if that project ever gets off the ground).

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Unless there's some type of disaster in the funding, the Thunderbirds F-16 Block 52's will be replaced by the first outcycled F-35A's. But just like the Blue Angles, it's not going to be any time soon. Think 2025.

Lockheed made this in a bizarre public marketing attempt:

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Preoptopus posted:

Generally speaking, the government acts as its own insurance company. It makes sense, when you think about it, because the government is a large enough entity to do so, and paying for insurance would end up costing the same in the long run, except plus a hefty profit margin for the insurance agency.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Godholio posted:

Um...they clearly ARE swing-wing. It's a Vark.

:doh: It sure is. That's what I get for browsing on my phone at work. :v:

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Previa_fun posted:

Great shots! The mystery plane isn't an F-111 is it? The landing gear makes me think so, but then the wings are all wrong looking (not swing wing, clearly...)

I can't look at the gross, oversized gear of the F-111 without imagining it as one of those toys you pull back across the floor to wind up before letting it scoot forward.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Boomerjinks posted:

I can't look at the gross, oversized gear of the F-111 without imagining it as one of those toys you pull back across the floor to wind up before letting it scoot forward.

I see your gross, oversized landing gear and raise you more gross oversized landing gear: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Dynamics-Grumman_F-111B

I love this picture

"I betcha it won't get into the air!" :v:

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 28, 2012

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Previa_fun posted:

I love this picture

Totally made me think of this take off scene.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA6pv0Hhl0I
(best quality I could find)

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
New (and much anticipated) MUOS military communication satellite was launched Feb 25th onboard this Atlas V, the largest payload ever carried by the Atlas:

I like this shot, too:

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

grover posted:

New (and much anticipated) MUOS military communication satellite was launched Feb 25th onboard this Atlas V, the largest payload ever carried by the Atlas:

I like this shot, too:

Awesome pics, now got a new background for the phone

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

revmoo posted:

I'm going back next time I'm in Destin, I want to go inside now.

Last time we were there we were staying on the beach and there was so much eye candy it was unreal. Helicopters were constantly flying by and military aircraft were zooming by every 1-5 mins or so.

The Emerald Coast is pretty good for airplane viewing...you've got the test and eval poo poo taking place at Eglin (plus F-35s if you're into that I guess), all of Hurlburt's random AFSOC aircraft, and then the Raptor FTU is just down the road at Tyndall as well as all the WSEP/Combat Archer fun.

Previa_fun posted:

It worked about as well as you'd imagine.

A Thud airshow is number one on my list of airshow things I wish I could've seen (a Phantom show, either Blues or T-Birds, is right behind it.)

MrChips posted:

My bet is they'll end up flying the replacement for the T-38 (if that project ever gets off the ground).

This was going to be my guess but this

Cygni posted:

Unless there's some type of disaster in the funding, the Thunderbirds F-16 Block 52's will be replaced by the first outcycled F-35A's. But just like the Blue Angles, it's not going to be any time soon. Think 2025.

is also a pretty good assessment. I forgot they just got those Block 52's a couple of years back.

And that picture...:barf:

Previa_fun posted:

I see your gross, oversized landing gear and raise you more gross oversized landing gear: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Dynamics-Grumman_F-111B

I love this picture

"Senator, there isn't enough thrust in all Christendom to make that airplane a fighter."

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 29, 2012

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

iyaayas01 posted:

A Thud airshow is number one on my list of airshow things I wish I could've seen (a Phantom show, either Blues or T-Birds, is right behind it.)

Check out Threshold: The Blue Angels Experience. I believe it recently has come out on DVD. Lots of footage of the Blues in the F-4 and narrated by Leslie Nielsen to boot. Unfortunately that's the closest any of will get today.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Tyndall still busts out their camo F-4 for airshows, or at least they did a few years ago. Most of them are in drone gray/orange, but they keep one looking good. One of the coolest things I saw there was in early 2005. Two F-22s took off, followed by four F-15Cs, followed by the camo F-4. Almost fifty years of air superiority, all in the span of one red light (the light faces the flightline, so it was all less than 1/4 mile directly in front of me). The light turned green, and I drove home with a boner.

Edit: This sent me on a random google search which turned up a pretty cool article:
http://www.airspacemag.com/military-aviation/Where-Have-All-the-Phantoms-Gone.html

The ending is awesome:
Brackin and I walked back to the van and got in. Brackin was staring straight ahead. Then he turned to me. “So now you know,” he said, grinning. “It takes four Raptors to kill an F-4.”

Edit2: V Part of it is, yeah...wtf.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 29, 2012

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Cygni posted:

That Photoshop is upside-down.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

Tyndall still busts out their camo F-4 for airshows, or at least they did a few years ago. Most of them are in drone gray/orange, but they keep one looking good. One of the coolest things I saw there was in early 2005. Two F-22s took off, followed by four F-15Cs, followed by the camo F-4. Almost fifty years of air superiority, all in the span of one red light (the light faces the flightline, so it was all less than 1/4 mile directly in front of me). The light turned green, and I drove home with a boner.

Edit: This sent me on a random google search which turned up a pretty cool article:
http://www.airspacemag.com/military-aviation/Where-Have-All-the-Phantoms-Gone.html

The ending is awesome:
Brackin and I walked back to the van and got in. Brackin was staring straight ahead. Then he turned to me. “So now you know,” he said, grinning. “It takes four Raptors to kill an F-4.”

Regarding the 82nd ATRS...

(From the Armament Museum outside Eglin...they had an exhibit about WSEP/Combat Archer.)

I actually know an Ammo officer that is assigned to that squadron, he seems to think it is pretty cool. They also operate the "Air Force's Navy":

e: I thought this was a pretty cool bit from that piece as well:

quote:

One Phantom was saved by its former pilot. On April 16, 1972, Dan Cherry, flying an F-4D, had scored a victory over a North Vietnamese Mig-21. Thirty-two years later, during a trip with friends to the National Museum of the Air Force in Dayton, Ohio, Cherry encountered the aircraft he had flown that day. It was on display in the little town of Enon, outside Dayton.

“In spite of her flat tires, weeds growing up all around, bird droppings everywhere, and faded gray paint, she was beautiful,” he recalls. “Walking around her and answering my friend’s questions made me realize how much I loved her and how much I owed her for taking such good care of me. Suddenly all those things that seemed like negatives before paled in comparison to the strong bond I felt at that moment.” Cherry took on the task of relocating the aircraft to the Aviation Heritage Park in Bowling Green, Kentucky, where it was restored and is now displayed.

It's amazing how much personality a hunk of metal and plastic can seem to have if you spend enough time around it.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 29, 2012

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I've got one of their coins. One of my favorites. :lol:

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

I've got one of their coins. One of my favorites. :lol:

Remind me to post a picture of our most recent RF-A coin...it's a bottle opener that has a bottle of Alaskan Amber and a silhouette of two moose mating on the backside.

Yes, we have two moose loving on our official unit coin.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Is that Marine's Dream? That's the prettiest Corsair.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco
Not strictly aviation but the Navy has posted their unclass program guide for 2012. It's usually interesting if not sparse on detail:

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/policy/seapower/npg12/top-npg12.pdf

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
I haven't posted in here ever, so go easy on me.

These two have probably been posted already, but to me they are the beautiful looking aircraft ever designed and produced. The German Messerschmitt Me262a and the American P-51 Mustang. Both are equally stunning in completely different ways :allears:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Sadly no photos, but today whilst sitting out in the sun eating lunch at work, our factory got buzzed by a Spitfire and 3 Extra 300's in formation. Today has been a good day. :allears:

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

I found out about these guys recently and now I'm bummed I didn't try and go see them when I was living in Europe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The Dutch have the coolest paint schemes on their demo birds. Click for big