Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Man Yam
Aug 31, 2004
Pickle. No! You pickle!

mindphlux posted:

awesome, I'll have to check that place out.

you wouldn't happen to know of any place in or outside of atlanta that hand makes udon, would you? I was just talking about that with my dining compatriot - we've made udon a few times at home, but I've never seen a restaurant do it. I imagine a pro would be a lot better than we are.

Unfortunately, I have not found anyplace like that in my trips to Atlanta. I usually only travel for work, so that limits the amount of time I have to explore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Is there anything worthwhile within walking distance of the Midtown W Hotel?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

mango sentinel posted:

Is there anything worthwhile within walking distance of the Midtown W Hotel?

empire state south

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

mindphlux posted:

empire state south
AAAAAAAAAAAAAA goddammit. I'm asking for a friend's birthday party, and I think it may be a little pricey and not the kind of place for a big group to just crash into. I'll just have to go there on my own some time.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

mango sentinel posted:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAA goddammit. I'm asking for a friend's birthday party, and I think it may be a little pricey and not the kind of place for a big group to just crash into. I'll just have to go there on my own some time.

oh well there's a taco mac if that's what you were looking for

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum
Dante's Down the Hatch? I mean.. its not really food, or good, but it sure is one hell of an experience I guess. But a birthday party might go over well there? I think?

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
There are a few places further south of there that might work. Escorpion, Takorea, and the Cypress Pint and Plate. They may not be large enough though.

TheLizard
Oct 27, 2004

I am the Lizard Queen!
I've been going to Atlanta occasionally for work, and I am impressed by the reasonably priced fine dining options there! My friend who lives there has taken me to Wisteria and the Iberian Pig, and I definitely enjoyed both. That the tabs after gorging ourselves at both places came out to like $60 pp is a huge bonus (also my per diem is $70 for food, so it works out well).

We also went to Flip Burger and while I know it gets mixed reviews, I thought the burger and onion rings were great. Not everything we ordered was as successful, but I'd go back for those alone.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

HD1 is pretty cool, too, apart from the cash register ordering. The wait can be a bit long, but I've never been disappointed by the food in all the times I've been. Worth checking out if you're in town.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.

jooky posted:

HD1 is pretty cool, too, apart from the cash register ordering. The wait can be a bit long, but I've never been disappointed by the food in all the times I've been. Worth checking out if you're in town.

Agreed. HD1 is cheaper, too.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Is anyone doing a CSA this year? The one I used last year, Sun Dog Farms, moved to Savannah, so I guess I need to find a new one. I've started looking, but...

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur

mindphlux posted:

oh well there's a taco mac if that's what you were looking for

aaaaaaahahahahahahaaaa

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
Also more realistically tap is closer to the midtown w, and while not in the same league as ESS it is a reasonable place for a group. We go there for lunch sometimes at work.

And for a big group of what are probably otp visitors staying at the W walking more than two blocks is probably not on the table given the likely willingness to walk

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I can't stop eating at Community Q. :smith:

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee

mango sentinel posted:

Also donner guy, check out Keba if you're in Athens (originally Achim's K-bob,) the guy who started it is German and I assume it's closer to German style donner than say Gyro Wrap.

I'm pretty sure he changed the recipe even since he opened his first store in like 2000 (I worked there for like a month in high school), but it's still reasonably close to a döner and still good.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.

majestic12 posted:

I'm pretty sure he changed the recipe even since he opened his first store in like 2000 (I worked there for like a month in high school), but it's still reasonably close to a döner and still good.

I always went for the fries, anyway. Belgian-style is the bomb.

Windyblade
Oct 17, 2005

I hope we're still friends after I taser you.

Josh Lyman posted:

I can't stop eating at Community Q. :smith:

Sup fellow artery-killing mac and cheese buddy? I am moving in a month and will no longer live within walking distance of Dave Poe's out in Marietta. It's a travesty. My brisket quota... :(

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I had no idea this thread existed again. The last one closed down and I had nowhere to post about Atlanta food. I tried Reddit, and it was just full of people with the most awful and boring opinions on food/restaurants (R Thomas as one of the best restaurants in Atlanta). Our old friend, goddinpotty, posts there and despite posting opinions that I generally agree with, he always seems to get shouted down as a troll (though much of the time he is trolling, but just not about restaurants/food). I could swear I did search for this sort of thread a month or so ago, but I guessed I missed it. Anyway, I'm glad to have this place to discuss Atlanta food again with non-idiots.

Last year I took a job (which I love) in Norcross, and wasn't all too excited about what might be my non-BuHi food options for lunch. While there certainly food options in Midtown/Westside/Buckhead/Decatur/wherever are better, I have found some places I like. I love the MEGA TORTA and carnitas and pastor tacos at Mega Taco. It's dirt cheap and serves my taco needs. I've enjoyed the Cuban food at Mojito's.

My absolute favorite place in the area is Bleu House Market and I eat there at least twice a week. It is a cozy little market/lunch place that has some good sandwiches, salads, and other stuff. I've had everything on the sandwich menu, and at a minimum I've liked it all. They do prepared dinners for to take home, and I've gotten them a number of times. I think they've all been good, and provide really good bang for your buck. The beef braciole I picked up last Tuesday was exquisite and was probably the best meal I've had since Chops last October. On Saturday mornings they do a brunch, which has red velvet waffles, which were really awesome. They also have various sweets, which I really love, especially their macaroons. If you're around the 85N/285 area, I think it is worth a visit.

Since I didn't know about this thread, I posted this in the general Atlanta thread:

venutolo posted:

Some great BBQ news for Westside (and nearby) people: Community Q is opening a second location where Burger Joe's used to be. Also, after the success of their Monday night BBQ stuff, the P'cheen people are opening a BBQ place (Bone Lick BBQ if I recall correctly) on Huff (near Westside Corner Tavern/Westside Pie).

Our old friend, goddinpotty, has what sounds like an interesting new project in front of him, which I'm looking forward to seeing what happens. I have no idea if he'd want that information public on the web, but if any of you are still in touch with him, he'd probably tell you. Or I guess you can PM me. He's also still very focused on cleanliness/food safety, which I can appreciate even more now after getting food poisoning from Peter Cheng's.

(I miss the old Atlanta dining thread :().

Can anyone give me any idea as to how busy H&F gets for Sunday brunch? I still have never been for brunch and was thinking about giving it a go this Sunday.

Anyway, I'm really thrilled to have this thread back. I'm also glad to see that after the rockiness last year, that Hashiguchi Jr/Sushi Jr is still open. I love their katsudon and should go back soon. I'm also pleased to see other people saying R Thomas kind of sucks.

venutolo fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 25, 2012

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

Can anyone give me any idea as to how busy H&F gets for Sunday brunch? I still have never been for brunch and was thinking about giving it a go this Sunday.

last time I went, about a month ago, 1:30pm, it was busy as gently caress. hour waits. either plan to wait, or get there early.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Having read the thread I think I have an idea of what the answer will be but how do you guys feel about the Buckhead Life Group offerings?

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
What do y'all think of Tomo?

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Zenzirouj posted:

Having read the thread I think I have an idea of what the answer will be but how do you guys feel about the Buckhead Life Group offerings?

I've been to and enjoyed Atlanta Fish Market, Chops, Kyma, and Pricci. Chops gets my vote for the best steakhouse in Atlanta I've been to.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Zenzirouj posted:

they're fine I guess. overpriced, menus pander to the lowest common denominator, always crowded, but food is always ok.

the sort of places I'd never spend my own money at, but if someone else is footing the bill, sure why not.

why do you ask?

Rick Ross Ulbricht
Feb 3, 2010

put yourself in the shoes of a prosecutor trying to build a case against you. what evidence could they pin on you? there is nothing on your laptop for them to use, if you obscure your bitcoins propperly, there is no way for them to trace them back to me.
Hands down the best Mexican food in Atlanta has to be El Rey del Taco. It's got strange as gently caress hours (something like 10 am to 6 am, all week) and if you're not Hispanic you might feel out of place, but the two meats special with the corn tortillas tastes like heaven on earth and is enough meat and deliciousness for two meals and costs like $10.

It's at 5288 Buford Highway Northeast, Doraville, GA 30340 in a shopping mall that has a sketchy pool hall. It's important to note that the pool hall attracts some sketchy characters, but it's never been a problem for me.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

mindphlux posted:

they're fine I guess. overpriced, menus pander to the lowest common denominator, always crowded, but food is always ok.

the sort of places I'd never spend my own money at, but if someone else is footing the bill, sure why not.

why do you ask?
Just wondering if the consensus was, as I expected, along the lines of yours. I think you're being a little harsh, but I don't entirely disagree.

As for Mexican, my go-to is Coyote Grill, pretty close to downtown Decatur. I haven't really made a huge effort to scour Atlanta for Mexican food so I can't say whether it's amazing or not, but it's certainly better than a lot of the shitholes I've eaten at. And the pricing is about the same. It's a slightly sketchy area I guess, but there's pretty frequently a cop car parked in their lot for some reason and I've been going to that area for years with no problems. It's just an area that doesn't have much money put into it.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

Zenzirouj posted:

As for Mexican, my go-to is Coyote Grill, pretty close to downtown Decatur. I haven't really made a huge effort to scour Atlanta for Mexican food so I can't say whether it's amazing or not, but it's certainly better than a lot of the shitholes I've eaten at. And the pricing is about the same. It's a slightly sketchy area I guess, but there's pretty frequently a cop car parked in their lot for some reason and I've been going to that area for years with no problems. It's just an area that doesn't have much money put into it.

Neuvo Laredo by far for me. That is, if you can push your way through the hordes of margarita swilling hipsters.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

godzirraRAWR posted:

Neuvo Laredo by far for me. That is, if you can push your way through the hordes of margarita swilling hipsters.

I've never seen this place full, much less packed. But never empty, either. When it's slow they sometimes let their little girl work the register which is pretty adorable.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

mindphlux posted:

flip is where its at for non-traditional burgers, but grindhouse and farm burger are both very respectable traditional burger places - I think I like grindhouse a bit more if I'm going for like a straight up bacon cheeseburger, and farm burger if I'm feeling more bluecheese and caramelized onion with bone marrow.

of course h&f burger tops them all imho - but probably only because of the cute girl who seems to always be working the grill, and her heavy handed use of salt.

but I guess all that's just, like, my opinion man

My favorite fancy burger is Muss & Turner's in Vinings. Medium-rare grass fed beef, hell yeah.

That with a token salad and a tasty microbrew makes a great lunch.

Angstronaut posted:

Anybody got a good Japanese noodle place recommendation? Looks like Hashiguchi is closed.

Yakitori Jinbei in Smyrna makes some drat good ramen as well as their delicious yakitori.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Remicks posted:

It's at 5288 Buford Highway Northeast, Doraville, GA 30340 in a shopping mall that has a sketchy pool hall.
This is every shopping center in Doraville.

I managed to convince my friend to take everyone to Tap instead of Ri Ra like they originally wanted, also changed from the W to the Marriott.

My anniversary is also that weekend so I'm thinking Empire State South for me and the wife but I'm worried she might not find something she likes since she's not as adventurous as me. Walking distance isn't relevant here, I'm just wondering if anyone has any other suggestions for fancy place with an intimate setting in short driving distance that might have a more traditional menu.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

mango sentinel posted:

My anniversary is also that weekend so I'm thinking Empire State South for me and the wife but I'm worried she might not find something she likes since she's not as adventurous as me. Walking distance isn't relevant here, I'm just wondering if anyone has any other suggestions for fancy place with an intimate setting in short driving distance that might have a more traditional menu.

:psyduck:

more traditional menu? I don't even understand - what is it you're looking for? I mean looking at empire state's menu, they have a cheese plate, cauliflower soup, brussle sprout salad, some catfish, collards, striped bass, pork tenderloin, leg of lamb, goat cheese ravioli, pork belly....

none of this is sounding remotely adventurous or 'out there'... the place is mostly about well executed 'southern food', which is about as traditional as it comes.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Any of you familiar with Shoya next to the Super H Mart on Peachtree Industrial? I've been there a couple of times on the suggestion of a friend and it seems pretty good, though fairly pricey.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

dennyk posted:

My favorite fancy burger is Muss & Turner's in Vinings. Medium-rare grass fed beef, hell yeah.

That with a token salad and a tasty microbrew makes a great lunch.

Yakitori Jinbei in Smyrna makes some drat good ramen as well as their delicious yakitori.

I dearly love both of these places. The wine and cheese nights at Muss and Turner turn me into a gibbering loon.

And I really do eat lunch at least twice a week at Yakitori Jinbei. I was honestly surprised to see both of these here since I'm there all the time.

I'm accidentally hip! gently caress!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Zenzirouj posted:

Any of you familiar with Shoya next to the Super H Mart on Peachtree Industrial? I've been there a couple of times on the suggestion of a friend and it seems pretty good, though fairly pricey.

If what you want is a pretty fun time with decent actual Japanese food then they're pretty good. At the end of the day though if you are going for the food instead of the izakaya experience, you're better off elsewhere. I find it's best with like 8 people.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

signalnoise posted:

If what you want is a pretty fun time with decent actual Japanese food then they're pretty good. At the end of the day though if you are going for the food instead of the izakaya experience, you're better off elsewhere. I find it's best with like 8 people.

Is there a place in the same general part of Atlanta where I can get the same kind of food for cheaper? They have some really tasty stuff that I hadn't seen available at the handful of other Japanese places I've been to but I couldn't care less about the setting. Unless I'm in that example you just gave.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

godzirraRAWR posted:

I dearly love both of these places. The wine and cheese nights at Muss and Turner turn me into a gibbering loon.

And I really do eat lunch at least twice a week at Yakitori Jinbei. I was honestly surprised to see both of these here since I'm there all the time.

I'm accidentally hip! gently caress!

I'm a big fan of both of these places too.

At Yakitori Jinbei, my favorite dish is the half chicken/half egg on rice dish. I forget the name, but it's not oyakudon, but like a half and half dish, with scrambled egg on one side, and chopped chicken on the other side. It's so simple but I can chow down the whole bowl.

mickeymickey
Sep 13, 2004
punch me, i'm irish
I'm so happy I found this thread! I'm a DC/Northern VA transplant that just moved down here in January. Is there any decent pho in Atlanta? I'm dying here. There's a place near our apartment (west end of the Georgia Tech campus) called "City Cafe" that advertises pho but it doesn't look particularly authentic.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

mickeymickey posted:

I'm so happy I found this thread! I'm a DC/Northern VA transplant that just moved down here in January. Is there any decent pho in Atlanta? I'm dying here. There's a place near our apartment (west end of the Georgia Tech campus) called "City Cafe" that advertises pho but it doesn't look particularly authentic.

That place is just s mismatch of different asian foods, but it's really the badly run chinese restaurant next door to it and they are just known for cheap chinese food and being open late for the GaTech students.

EDIT: Just to clarify, the chinese place bought City Cafe and expanded into it. They just haven't taken down the City Cafe sign yet.

AgentHaiTo fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 29, 2012

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mickeymickey posted:

For Vietnamese (and many other ethnic foods), you'll want to hit up Buford Highway. There are a whole bunch of Vietnamese places that serve pho. To get you pointed in the right direction, I suggest trying Quan Ba 9 and Pho Dai Loi.

mickeymickey
Sep 13, 2004
punch me, i'm irish
Oh dear God, thank you both. I will avoid the crappy Chinese restaurant and get my rear end up Buford Highway. There's nothing quite like a nice big steaming bowl of pho, especially on a cloudy day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

mickeymickey posted:

Oh dear God, thank you both. I will avoid the crappy Chinese restaurant and get my rear end up Buford Highway. There's nothing quite like a nice big steaming bowl of pho, especially on a cloudy day.

While Buford Highway definitely has more authentic pho, the Moto restaurant at Cheshire Bridge and Old Lenox Road is probably closer and pretty good (although it's been a while since I was there, and they are in a location that is death to restaurants, so you never know):
http://motovietnamesegrill.net/