Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
So I was browsing through AnandTech's review of a boutique system (link goes to relevant page) where this bit of text goes by:

quote:

Speaking frankly if anecdotally, the idea of a desktop (especially a heavily overclocked desktop) that can actually enter and exit sleep mode properly is practically mythical in nature. I've never owned or serviced a desktop that could do it without locking up or getting stuck in a power cycle when I tried to wake it up. My experiences there are fraught. [Ed: I have a couple old Core 2 Quad systems that manage this feat, as well as a couple Bloomfield systems that can sleep and resume, but I do admit that the overclocks are relatively tame by comparison to the Erebus GT.]

:wtc:

The Erebus GT comes with an i7-2700K running at 4.6 GHz. I'm running an i5-2500K at 4.6 GHz. It sleeps all the time. It resumes without issue. The only time it didn't was when I didn't know to turn off PLL Overvolting. Yet apparently this is a thing? Is it really a thing, or did everyone on staff there just accept this uncritically?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The sad truth is we probably spend more time tweaking our systems than a bunch of hardware news site writers/editors...

Also my old Gigabyte system would sleep fine but randomly wake up for no reason (Wake on LAN, wake on mouse/keyboard, wake on anything all turned off). My asus P67 hasn't had any problems since, as you said, I turned off internal PLL overvolt and I too am running 4.6. I can certainly see some of the tweaks required to get to 5+ causing problems, but... yeah.

Honestly I am usually running something in the background anyway so I almost never sleep it, but good ol SNB power efficiency makes me feel less guilty about it.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Factory Factory posted:

So I was browsing through AnandTech's review of a boutique system (link goes to relevant page) where this bit of text goes by:

:wtc:

The Erebus GT comes with an i7-2700K running at 4.6 GHz. I'm running an i5-2500K at 4.6 GHz. It sleeps all the time. It resumes without issue. The only time it didn't was when I didn't know to turn off PLL Overvolting. Yet apparently this is a thing? Is it really a thing, or did everyone on staff there just accept this uncritically?

Yeah, I don't get it either. One could argue that tweaking shouldn't be necessary to get something as simple as sleep/resume working, but it's definitely doable. (Sleep/Resume is actually fairly complex as well, implementation wise).

I have an odd question for Ibex Peak users (5-series desktop/mobile chipset); did your BIOSs ever give you options to change lane widths of PCIe coming out of the PCH? I.E. switching some x16 slot between x1/x4? (if yes, then I'll be sad, if no then I'll become insufferably smug)

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

movax posted:

I have an odd question for Ibex Peak users (5-series desktop/mobile chipset); did your BIOSs ever give you options to change lane widths of PCIe coming out of the PCH? I.E. switching some x16 slot between x1/x4? (if yes, then I'll be sad, if no then I'll become insufferably smug)

I dunno if there's a BIOS option for it, but the Asus P7P55D-E had a slot exactly like that.

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010
Simple question about how cheap I can be: Is there any estimated safe overclock on an i5-2500k with stock cooling?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Depends entirely on temperature, where you limit is ~72 C. In practice, this usually rounds out to 4 GHz or so.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
This is a bit odd, but AMD processors have a tool available for overclocking that's fantastically useful called K10stat, available at https://sites.google.com/site/k10stat/ .

I've no clue what exact processors it's applicable for, but it's actually relevant for laptops. My old A6-3400m was able to push 2.1ghz at all times without getting over 72c, and this A8-3520m's able to run at 2.2ghz without even touching 70. It's just enough to make God Hand fully playable on PCSX2. :v: The processor has a TDP of 100c, but I don't feel safe going much past 70.

The undervolting's interesting, as well. I haven't played with it nearly as much.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
TDP of 100W - Watts. The maximum safe 24/7 temperature on those parts is around 62 C. So cut it out.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Factory Factory posted:

TDP of 100W - Watts. The maximum safe 24/7 temperature on those parts is around 62 C. So cut it out.

Oh, okay. I was mixed up there.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-A8-Series%20A8-3520M.html This has the max operating temperature at 100c, which is what I was probably referring to wrongly using TDP.

I probably won't use it anymore but the undervolting might come in handy and the tool does work on 10h/11h cores.

If it's actually 62ish, it's odd that Cool 'n Quiet's set so high. It apparently doesn't start throttling the processor for heat until it gets around 78 which is higher than I'd ever let it go.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Well, AMD isn't that stringent about its processors lasting forever. 100 C is the temperature at which the CPU will throttle to avoid immediate damage, but longer-term damage occurs well before then in terms of increased rates of electromigration.

Then again, if you're going to replace the laptop in three years, you'd probably never notice, so I guess you can push it if you really want to.

Protokoll
Mar 28, 2003

Here we go Lina.
Here we go Lina.
COME ON, LINA!
Stress testing my new rig at stock before I start pushing each component and I'm finding something strange. Each core will run at 0.85-0.9V at idle and 1.1V at nominal load, but as soon as I start stressing a core, the CPU will ramp up to 1.35V which is Intel-recommended 24/7 safe voltage for SB-E. I thought this is a UEFI setting as enabling XMP on my motherboard basically forces the chip to run at 1.35V 24/7 (even at idle), but the only features I've really tweaked are turning on Enhanced Turbo and turning off EuP 2013.

Is it possible MSI's Enhanced Turbo is pumping way more voltage through my CPU than it needs to run at stock speeds? I can probably get 4.4-4.5 GHz out of that voltage!

Edit: Turned it off and it was worse. At complete idle the chip was sucking 1.27V on most of the cores.

Protokoll fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 17, 2012

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

vid =/= vcore for these chips, at least. Look lower for your vcore setting. vid has to do with how the chip requests voltage at a given clock (super super simplifying) and is used, as far as I know, mainly in stock implementations and for motherboard overclocking near as I can tell (could be a just-so story for the last one, but if you look at vid versus clockrate for motherboard auto overclocking, it seems to match up pretty well - leading to sensible values at lower overclocks, like a mere ghz or so, and not so sensible 1.4V+ voltages for higher OCs that need to be manually tuned for long-term stability).

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Factory Factory posted:

I dunno if there's a BIOS option for it, but the Asus P7P55D-E had a slot exactly like that.

Blah, yeah. I'm implementing dynamically swapping the PCH PCIe port configs (4 x1, 2 x2, 1 x4), etc and at least on the mobile Ibex Peak platform, this is a bit difficult/abnormal to implement. Got it working though with a somewhat dirty hack though at last. (No handy MMIO'd register I can hit in BIOS to set the widths)

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Asus' Z77-based lineup is looking exciting. In particular, the P8Z77-I Deluxe (I think that's what the model will be) will be a mini-ITX board with a Digi+ VRM set on a riser card for a full-phase overclocking experience. :sbahj:

The Maximus V Formula (the big daddy board) will have watercooling hookups for the VRM heatsinks. And that's optional - the sinks have a heatpipe and can work passively air-cooled as well. The Maximus V Gene looks to be a worthy successor to the IV Gene-Z, and Asus is packing them with even higher-quality electronics than the Sabertooth SKUs.

E: Uggggh, nVidia 600 series, why do you have to do complex TDP-controlled overclocking with "offset clocks?"

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 22, 2012

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
Taking a step back to 2008, is it worth trying to OC a mismatched Crossfire pair of HD4870s? I've an Asus Dark Knight (no RAM heatsinks, a bit odd?) and a Sapphire Toxic bumped down to stock settings, both 1GB. Poked at CCC's Overdrive a couple of weeks back, I think I managed 775MHz on the GPUs before things turned ugly, all kinds of white dots and z-fighting. Couldn't do anything to the RAM clocks without massive artifacting. The fact that things go to hell so quickly points to a voltage issue, right?

I can try Afterburner or RivaTuner when I have more time to go at it, but I'm mostly just trying to squeeze some more power out of an aging machine and confirm my suspicion that the CPU's bottlenecking some games. Cooling shouldn't be an issue unless the DK's bare RAM is hampering things, in which case I could maybe throw the sinks from my freebie Scythe Musashi on. Otherwise both GPUs stay below 80 C and 60% fan speed even while under full load making GBS threads out mangled polygons.

Aside from those cards, guts include:
Asus P5E (X38, ICH9R), latest posted BIOS.
Core2Duo E8400 @ 3.6GHz; want to try for 4.0, but the RAM's been uncooperative.
4x2GB G-Skill DDR2-800 1.8v 5-5-5-15
PCP&C Silencer 610W

redstormpopcorn fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Mar 24, 2012

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
I'd say voltage is definitely an issue, but it may just be chip limitations. If you didn't get a carefully binned overclocking-grade card, you may just be stuck with one of the many that cannot push past 770 MHz core no matter what. It's odd that you have zero headroom with the RAM, though. But not that odd - CrossFire, especially older CF, introduces additional issues with overclocking. Ask my 6850s that can each hit 940 MHz on their own, but crap out above 850 MHz when paired.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
I've been messing around with overclocking for the first time and I've been having a lot of fun. I finally have everything stable for my day-to-day stuff and everything is within the safe limits the OP describes. I want to make sure it's rock solid with some longer p95 tests but when I run it for a few minutes the temp crawls up to the mid 70s (77 max according to coretemp) and backs down to around 70 and keeps oscillating between those two. Since it says in the op the safe 24/7 max is 72 I'm hesitant to leave p95 run for awhile without me sitting here watching the temps. Is it reasonable to let it go that high (upper 70s? 80s?) for testing purposes since it never gets anywhere close to that outside of p95? At what point should I be concerned with damaging my CPU? Thanks for the help guys, this thread has been a boon and I can't wait to try my hand at overclocking my GPU once I get this CPU OC nailed down.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
The CPU can get up to 99 C without suffering immediate damage, and it will throttle itself automatically to make sure it doesn't get hotter than that. To be frank, the 24/7 safe limits in the OP are very cautious - "24/7" means "Prime95-type-100%-load 24/7." If you aren't using the idle cycles for Folding@Home or BOINC or somesuch, you probably won't run up against any issues of components burning out before you get your next system as long as your voltage is okay. It will impact your power bill somewhat, but not ludicrously.

It's always good to be cooler, though.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

I have a i5-2500K in a Asus P8P67 Rev 3.1 board.

The BCLK is set to 100.0 MHz and I upped the multiplier to 45. When stress testing in Prime 95, CPU-Z indicates that it ramps up to 4.5 GHz (from 1.6 at idle), and will run stably for hours.

My question is - should I bother disabling Turbo Boost? It seems that the the motherboard recognizes the manual overclock and won't boost it up to 5.9 GHz (which is where the Turbo multiplier of 59 would put it at).

I'm perfectly fine with it idling lower, I just wouldn't want it going above what I set it to.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
It won't, and you shouldn't turn off Turbo Boost. In fact, you can't; you literally cannot turn it off, only adjust it to never change frequencies. Turbo Boost is inextricable from the changing frequency of the CPU - more generally, it's an implementation of ACPI p-states (p as in performance). The max p-state, P0, is the 59x multiplier. The minimum state is P43 (as in, there are 43 1x multiplier steps between 13 and 59).

Turbo Boost and SpeedStep together decide when to switch P-states based on variables like CPU load, temperature, and current power draw. By overclocking, you've essentially told the Turbo/EIST logic that every p-state is available, but you (or the motherboard, automatically) have adjusted the parameters for that logic so that only P14 (45x) and P43 (16x) will ever be chosen.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Cool. Thanks for the response. So, I don't need to change any other settings then?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Well my boss got a kill a watt for work and I tested my overclocked 580 GTX/2500k setup to see how much of my 1000 watts of platinum power are being used under a full load of crysis 2.

The answer is, about 400, or a good chunk less than half. Intelburntest, runs about 215. Full system idles at about 95. At least the fan never comes on, I guess. Impulse buys :sigh:

Never read hardware review sites late at night while on cold medicine.

Also an interesting note, the dynamic VRM phase turning off dealie that came with this video card actually does save about 4 watts of power, I just assumed it was negligible.

BrandNew
May 16, 2007

Get me my BLUE WINDBREAKER!

Dogen posted:

Well my boss got a kill a watt for work and I tested my overclocked 580 GTX/2500k setup to see how much of my 1000 watts of platinum power are being used under a full load of crysis 2.

The answer is, about 400, or a good chunk less than half. Intelburntest, runs about 215. Full system idles at about 95. At least the fan never comes on, I guess. Impulse buys :sigh:

Also an interesting note, the dynamic VRM phase turning off dealie that came with this video card actually does save about 4 watts of power, I just assumed it was negligible.

Seems like you need to get a 2nd 580 to make some use of that insane PSU.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Yeah and I bet Metro 2033 kinda sucks for him now so he really should get another 580, right Dogen?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I got the first one for free, and it's a fancy special edition one that they already stopped making, so I would have to be running mismatched.

No, I'll just grab a couple of 680 GTXs eventually. Probably should get a nicer second monitor first.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Did I overclock too much if it causes the computer to lock up? I am near that limit using MSI Afterburner and the BIOS to overclock my CPU and GPU.
It didn't seem like much, but there was a noticeable improvement.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Yes, by definition in fact. Locking up is not stable.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Dogen posted:

680s? Nah, to make use of that power you want to downgrade to 480 SLI.

Yeah, I have a case absolutely packed with hard drives, an unlocked Radeon 6950 and an overclocked 2500K, and it doesn't burn through all that much power. I think the Seasonic X-660 running it is basically the perfect size for it. I'm pretty sure my (don't laugh) Radeon 2900XT used more power.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

HalloKitty posted:

Yeah, I have a case absolutely packed with hard drives, an unlocked Radeon 6950 and an overclocked 2500K, and it doesn't burn through all that much power. I think the Seasonic X-660 running it is basically the perfect size for it. I'm pretty sure my (don't laugh) Radeon 2900XT used more power.

Yeah I went from an old 620hx to an 850ax to a purchased under the influence seasonic platinum 1000 :sigh:

On the plus side it doesn't heat up at all under any load I can throw at it, keeping the bottom part of the case cool. Strangely the 850ax would still get fairly hot.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

HalloKitty posted:

Outside of the CPU, I have a similar system to yours, and it's about the same deal. I think the highest it drew with the kill-a-watt was around 380W last time I checked.

Still too much for the UPS I have though... I'm pretty sure the battery's going out on it, as The Witcher 2 triggered the overdraw alarm yesterday and it shut down. I need to pull the unit this weekend and see if APC Amazon has replacements available.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I have an old XS 1500 or something that used to be a server backup, which again, overkill. Also christ I think the battery in it is 10, but the last time I really tested it (hurricane Ike) it still charged our cell phones no problem until the power came back on, and I'm not getting any warning lights...

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005
I have the settings in my BIOS in AITweaker and Advanced to OC to 4.5 GHz and I have the feature for idling enabled to reduce the multiplier. However, when I boot to the OS and run Prime95 and the IntelBurnTest, my CPU isn't jumping up during the testing. It just sits there at 3.30 GHz.

Also, my BIOS settings are a bit different from what I'm seeing on the walk-throughs etc.. for example, my Load Line Calibration setting doesn't have the settings they mention (High/Extreme) it just has Auto, Enable and Disable.

[edit] Resolved the issue, left the CPU Ratio in CPU Power Management to Auto and not 45.

I was able to run the Standard Intel Burn Test and the Very High Intel Burn Test and the highest CPU Temp was the third core reaching 71-73*C and the other cores fluctuating between 68-70*C.

Do these temperatures seem reasonable or should I dial it back because I don't necessarily want to be riding "the wall."

theSpokeyDokey fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Apr 5, 2012

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

protobyss posted:

[edit] Resolved the issue, left the CPU Ratio in CPU Power Management to Auto and not 45.

I was able to run the Standard Intel Burn Test and the Very High Intel Burn Test and the highest CPU Temp was the third core reaching 71-73*C and the other cores fluctuating between 68-70*C.

Do these temperatures seem reasonable or should I dial it back because I don't necessarily want to be riding "the wall."
The chip will never get that hot in "normal" use, so those temperatures are fine for IBT. With maximum (or close to it) RAM settings on IBT, anything south of 80C is acceptable for a SB chip, although obviously you'll want to stay closer to the low-70's.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Is there any way to change the FSB of a 440BX board without the option in the BIOS? I also checked for jumpers but didn't see anything.
I still have that Compaq Deskpro 6300EN, I put a P3 933 EB in it, but it's running at
100 mhz fsb instead of it's native, so it's running at 700 mhz. It would be nice to get the extra 233 out of it.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

SRQ posted:

Is there any way to change the FSB of a 440BX board without the option in the BIOS? I also checked for jumpers but didn't see anything.
I still have that Compaq Deskpro 6300EN, I put a P3 933 EB in it, but it's running at
100 mhz fsb instead of it's native, so it's running at 700 mhz. It would be nice to get the extra 233 out of it.

I'm pretty sure you're stuck if you don't have BIOS options - the 440BX doesn't officially support 133MHz bus.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 5, 2012

Blackclaw
Jan 4, 2008

DUKE NUKEM FOREVER HAS A BETTER CHANCE OF RELEASING IN AUSTRALIA THAN ROCK BAND EVER WILL
Moving my post from the parts megathread to here because it's more relevant to here. :)

I'm pondering switching from a stock i5-760 to an i5-3570K to overclock it. Problem is, I'm reaching concerning temperatures off of stress tests already. Thinking of maybe swapping my case, as there's no dust filters on the top fan or back fan (or the expansion slot covers for that matter), and I've noticed a little bit of buildup on the heatsink fins.

Using an Antec P183, stock cooler (maaaybe with the stock thermal pad, maybe Arctic). Used to get >72C measurements during heavy game loads.

Cleaned out front air filters, upped speed on P183 fans to medium. Tested with OCCT, using the Small Data Set OCCT burn test.

Didn't break 72 degrees in all of 10 minutes, which is a definite improvement of last time (where I was breaking it with Battlefield 3). One concern that I have is Battlefield 3 often loads the computer just as hard as the burn test (which could be a hot graphics card contributing to the heat in the CPU sink - the P183 doesn't have a side fan). Don't know if what my CPU fan is doing is normal though...

Is there something I need to change in my BIOS to get the fan behaving properly, or is that fan working as intended?

I've got a Hyper 212+ EVO sitting in my bedroom but I'm not that keen on installing it if IVB is coming around the corner and I have to do it all again.

Should upgrading two generations to IVB and installing a 212 be enough for viable overclocking when I'm almost edging the limit as it is already?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Probably so, sounds like the thermal pad or paste application crapping out on your CPU HSF is the likely culprit.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Blackclaw posted:

Should upgrading two generations to IVB and installing a 212 be enough for viable overclocking when I'm almost edging the limit as it is already?
If it's meant to primarily be a gaming platform, just get a better cooler for your CPU (either a 212+/EVO or a Thermalright Macho if you want higher-end) and overclock the 760. There's not much sense in doing a full platform upgrade unless you just want to switch things out, as your current CPU will be more than enough for quite awhile with overclocking and better cooling (at least for gaming).

E: Noticed your post in the parts megathread..
Put the 212+ on the 760. Overclock the 760. Upgrade the board & CPU some point after IVB as you won't need to before then.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 6, 2012

Blackclaw
Jan 4, 2008

DUKE NUKEM FOREVER HAS A BETTER CHANCE OF RELEASING IN AUSTRALIA THAN ROCK BAND EVER WILL
Was my fan behaving properly under that load? Do I need to worry at all about that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Blackclaw posted:

Was my fan behaving properly under that load? Do I need to worry at all about that?
The fan was maxing-out around 2500rpm/70C so that's normal for the stock cooler. The 212+ will work wonders and allow you to overclock. Given that it'll be more than enough performance for gaming at 3.8ghz or so, I'd go with that option rather than a full rebuild. Other than that you should be good with basically any GPU depending on how much you want to spend for performance, as that CPU overclocked won't hold you back.

e: Have a question of my own. Anyone successfully using Afterburner with the CCC? Trying to decide if I should install the newest catalyst drivers to get powertune options, but I'd also like to overclock beyond what the CCC allows. Right now I'm stuck at 880/1350 on my 69*0 as pushing it any farther hits the TDP limit and the card starts throttling. I'm currently using the non-CCC catalyst drivers with Afterburner and it's working fine, but I'd like to push the card a bit more if the CCC won't conflict with AB. Cooling isn't an issue as I'm using an aftermarket kit.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 7, 2012