Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
He definitely lost precious seconds by not charging him when he started picking up the items though... I was watching it and was making angry faces at the screen when it happened :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
That loving furnace.

Highlights: Beef bursting out of the wall as Kurt runs around frantically, them both panicking, and fleeing. The creepers stalking Kurt as he tunnels around.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

CJacobs posted:

Ultra Hardcore, to me, seems like it could be easily fixable if the players just, y'know, actively sought each other out. Sure, sitting around just surviving is boring, but that doesn't really seem like what you're "supposed" to do anyway. It's about eliminating the competition, and despite being based on who survives the longest, everyone loves a little conflict between players to keep things interesting.

You'd need to make it beneficial to PVP in the rules of the game. Maybe a game where the first person who kills every other person at least once wins.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Last standing: 3 points
Second last standing: 2 points
Third last standing: 1 point
Kill: 1 point

I think that'd be reasonable on a server with 6 people, but you'd scale up survival for more people. So I guess
Last standing: (X/2)
Second last: (X/3)
Third last: (X/5)
Kill: 1

So for 8 it'd be 4, 2, 1, for 10 it'd be 5, 3, 2, for 16 it'd be 8, 5, 3.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

General_Failure posted:

What's the secret to using TerrainControl. It doesn't seem to have generated any config files or anything that I can edit.

sorted. I guess. using the latest dev build of bukkit gets it working. But at what cost?

If you figure out TerrainControl, would you mind posting a quick how-to? Every time I've looked at it my eyes have crossed.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
My ideas for forcing players above ground and into pvp situations:
- Sparse trees, no saplings. Force players above ground for wood more often. *or rare saplings
- Shallow world. Have the underground part of the world generate as about 32 blocks, leaving the rest of the height limit for awesome terrain. Requires TerrainControl
- Small rewards for a pvp kill. Food/Supplies. Maybe a slightly enchanted piece of gear.
- Hide supply caches around the map, encouraging exploration.

In a moderated game, like I plan on running with my friends, you can have a referee or two with admin powers lighting strategic fires or spawning creeper clusters to coerce players towards each other. This would be especially beneficial when numbers lessened.

edit: forgot a point

Switched.on fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Mar 28, 2012

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

bbcisdabomb posted:

If you figure out TerrainControl, would you mind posting a quick how-to? Every time I've looked at it my eyes have crossed.

Well, I've sort of got it working but I haven't at the same time. It's definitely functioning. I can edit the config file. It accepts console commands. It displays the extra f3 debug data on screen but I'll be damned if the variables in the config file are doing what they should be. River and fracture variables seem to work okay. Water level doesn't want to change. Also I'm not entirely convinced that rarity means what the author thinks it does. Land mass size and ocean size don't seem to behave as they should.

If I can wrangle something useful I'll let you know but the whole "edit file, start server, log in, test, log out, stop server" cycle is a real drag. Been nuking the map too in case it only works on a fresh gen, so generation cycles add to the time.

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan
Maybe you could have something like, on the last 3 standing or so, players start getting periodic prompts as to where the other players are? Or compasses start pointing to them or something.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Every 30 seconds the outermost blocks on the map/island turn into lava.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The engine would probably explode trying to calculate that. Especially in multiplayer.

Switched.on posted:

My ideas for forcing players above ground and into pvp situations:
- Sparse trees, no saplings. Force players above ground for wood more often. *or rare saplings
- Shallow world. Have the underground part of the world generate as about 32 blocks, leaving the rest of the height limit for awesome terrain. Requires TerrainControl
- Small rewards for a pvp kill. Food/Supplies. Maybe a slightly enchanted piece of gear.
- Hide supply caches around the map, encouraging exploration.

In a moderated game, like I plan on running with my friends, you can have a referee or two with admin powers lighting strategic fires or spawning creeper clusters to coerce players towards each other. This would be especially beneficial when numbers lessened.

edit: forgot a point

Eh, these sound too heavy handed to me. I especially don't like the shallow world and PVP rewards. PVP already grants you massive rewards. The other player's inventory and potentially their stash.

Creating a point system that rewards kills in addition to being last man alive seems like a decent solution, but you could run into problems where the last two people are competing for third or maybe not placing at all.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Mar 28, 2012

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The engine would probably explode trying to calculate that. Especially in multiplayer.

Depends on how it's scripted in. From what I've seen worldedit would probably handle stuff like this just fine.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Another cool aspect would be people making custom PVP maps, similar to how you could make Command & Conquer or Starcraft maps. You'd get a lot of lovely maps but there would be some true gems as well.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I don't like the idea of re-using pre-set maps, as alot of the appeal is working out what to make of the hand you're dealt.

I also like the idea of shallow maps, as that forces everyone to a similar layer and makes it harder to hide. I also like the idea of keeping the height:ore relationship the same, so it's easy to hit gold and diamonds. Roguelikes are best played with an easy-come-easy-go attitude. Don't really like bonus loot, and I think diamond armour may need a nerf (though with hard mode damage, no free heals, it may be just right).

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

bbcisdabomb posted:

Two tutorials are available; the first one just covers the configuration file and how to install. The second discusses worlds that go to 256 height.

It takes a bit of time to understand how to generate what you want, and some of it isn't obvious.

fondue fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Mar 28, 2012

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
The trouble is, pvp isn't really a good idea unless you know the person you are fighting has low health. I mean if you look at kuurt, even with a wolf and full iron armour he ends up on four hearts (or less?) after one battle which puts him at a disadvantage. The format doesn't really encourage pvp until you have managed to grind out some gold apples/potions and know that you are able to heal yourself.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Isorenieratane posted:

The trouble is, pvp isn't really a good idea unless you know the person you are fighting has low health. I mean if you look at kuurt, even with a wolf and full iron armour he ends up on four hearts (or less?) after one battle which puts him at a disadvantage. The format doesn't really encourage pvp until you have managed to grind out some gold apples/potions and know that you are able to heal yourself.
It's a risk/reward exchange really. Do you wait and get yourself to the nether and gather what you need to give yourself a distinct advantage ... all the while your opponents are doing the same? Do you immediately go after your opponents even though you may be on equal ground or even at a disadvantage because of the risks in travel and search?

That said, I'm starting up a hardcore last-miner-standing server. This first run will be a test to see what balances are necessary. The format will be open pvp, with a team plugin that fascilitates communication (does prevent friendly-fire). I'll be also tracking kills/deaths which will be posted live to my website as a 'leader board'. If you're interested please post here and I'll whitelist you. There are currently a dozen of 20 spots open.

This first run will either last three days or until everyone is dead, whichever comes first. :)

fondue fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 28, 2012

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

lohli posted:

Depends on how it's scripted in. From what I've seen worldedit would probably handle stuff like this just fine.

As much as I think the idea is great, your server will poo poo itself if you try to convert 4*64*2000 blocks to lava every couple of seconds.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I just saw my first ever spider jockey. I feel special.

Also I finally gave in and converted my front doors to iron because god dammit I'm sick of zombies sensing me when they shouldn't and that annoying as gently caress banging noise they make by attacking my wood doors.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I'm watching way too many of these UHC videos.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Eh, these sound too heavy handed to me. I especially don't like the shallow world and PVP rewards. PVP already grants you massive rewards. The other player's inventory and potentially their stash.
The ultimate resource in this mode is hearts, and PVP takes those away, even if you win... which is a huge reason not to do it.

If winning a PVP match healed you a bit somehow (dropping a potion or whatever) then you'd get people aggressively hunting each other a lot more often.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
My friends and I gave it a go yesterday with this ultra hardcore mode. There were 5 of us and the majority of the map was a jungle. Only one of us died and it was due to a creeper.

I've got a full set of iron armor, some iron swords, a bow (though only 6 arrows), a bucket of lava, a bucket of water, and flint and steel.

At this point I'm trying to hunt people down and I have no idea if they're doing the same thing.

Since the map is mostly jungle, I've also been lighting brushfires behind me as I travel. Fire and lava are probably the best strategies.

It's also the most fun I've had with Minecraft since I first bought it back before redstone existed.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Myself and several friends played on my server over the last couple of nights in an ultra hardcore mode. We used the UH plugin that limited the life regen, and used the scatter plugin to randomly scatter users over a 1500x1500 area.

It was fantastic. There were six of us playing over the course of two nights. We played for 2 1/2 hours the first night. Two died the first night. One person died from a cave spider in an abandoned mine shaft. The other died when I came upon him mining in a small cave and I blocked him in with cobble and poured lava in on him. Unfortunately he had a bit of gold on him and the lava destroyed it along with his tools which would have helped me immensely.

The second night only lasted about an hour and it was non stop pvp. We kept running into each other. It probably helped we were using a smaller world than they did and we used larger landmasses. If Minecrafts PVP netcode was better it would have been amazing but it was still great.

We had tons of fun, we also used this mod so that players could become invisible after death to watch what happened in the mean time.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
How did you get that scatter/vanish plugin working? For us Bukkit and the UHC mod wouldn't cooperate and we had to remove bukkit. We ended up joining the server one at a time and having 2 minutes to wander as our way of scattering spawns.

Later we realized we could've used the scatter mod, logged in and got our spawns, then logged out and put the UHC mod on, but if there's a proper way to get it running I'd love to know.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

My god, I'm waiting what seems like forever for that UHC Mindcrack series to roll over to episode 5 for those left. :f5:

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006

Dr. Dos posted:

How did you get that scatter/vanish plugin working? For us Bukkit and the UHC mod wouldn't cooperate and we had to remove bukkit. We ended up joining the server one at a time and having 2 minutes to wander as our way of scattering spawns.

Later we realized we could've used the scatter mod, logged in and got our spawns, then logged out and put the UHC mod on, but if there's a proper way to get it running I'd love to know.

I dunno my friend helps admin the server and he's good with programming so he set it all up. He said he had to change a couple files. I'll see if I can ask him what he did.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Speaking of UHC the latest round is up.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Do you like big caves?

Like, really big caves?

The seed is "Lemon of Pink." Like the last time I used this seed (back in 1.6 beta) it spawns you on the intersection between a jungle, a desert, and mountains. I found a perfect base with a supply of coal and tons of other resources really close to spawn, and it is absolutely riddled with awesome caves, ravines, and tunnels with huge open entrances that interconnect all around the continent. Go exploring! Wander into a tunnel and wander out on the other side of the continent with a few stacks of iron and coal!

It's a fantastic seed, with a nice balance between beginner-friendly areas with lots of supplies and tons of space to build, and awesome explorable landscapes. I recommend it!

AN AOL CHAT ROOM
Feb 22, 2003

Power-shovelling fat turds into my cock busted syphilitic maw. Like a fat cunt shovels doughnuts. The resulting turds from my hemorrhoid infested goat fucked ass are pure gold compared to my shitting posts.
I came across a Big Motherfucker In The Ground, myself.

You can't see but It flattens out beneath the sightline of the grass blocks into a crater at the bottom and is about 2000 blocks away from my 0,0 intersection, so I'm definitely going to make an outpost down there and spiral it up into the heavens, and after that I'll connect my two bases with a minecart track line. The simplest projects are the most therapeutic and satisfying. :)

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Is it even possible to, given all the mods and plugins available, to make a "map vision" player? Ie someone, or some plugin, that can see all the players on a Hardcore survival game in real-time?

It could be abused to hell if it was streamed live of course, but if everyone played and recorded and then dropped the episodes in bulk along with the main channel with the map overlay it would be loving awesome to watch.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
Just curious, what would everyone think of making nameplates completely invisible in a PVP/UHC server? I know certain mods like HeroSneak exist, but gently caress my pinky hurts. Also, It should (at least)by default be invisible whilst standing perfectly still (inv management, accessing furnaces, chests, etc)

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Zsinjeh posted:

Is it even possible to, given all the mods and plugins available, to make a "map vision" player? Ie someone, or some plugin, that can see all the players on a Hardcore survival game in real-time?
You can use dynmap for that; it provides a real-time map of a world and where all of the players are as well as their health/armor levels.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Bat Ham posted:

Maybe you could have something like, on the last 3 standing or so, players start getting periodic prompts as to where the other players are? Or compasses start pointing to them or something.

Maybe some kind of plugin that blurts out the coordinates of each player every thirty minutes or so. That would be a nice way to keep them on their toes (and make them paranoid as gently caress)

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Do you like big caves?

Like, really big caves?

The seed is "Lemon of Pink." Like the last time I used this seed (back in 1.6 beta) it spawns you on the intersection between a jungle, a desert, and mountains. I found a perfect base with a supply of coal and tons of other resources really close to spawn, and it is absolutely riddled with awesome caves, ravines, and tunnels with huge open entrances that interconnect all around the continent. Go exploring! Wander into a tunnel and wander out on the other side of the continent with a few stacks of iron and coal!

It's a fantastic seed, with a nice balance between beginner-friendly areas with lots of supplies and tons of space to build, and awesome explorable landscapes. I recommend it!

Oh my god someone else uses songs by the books for seeds too. I feel like I've just seen a unicorn.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

feigning interest posted:

Just curious, what would everyone think of making nameplates completely invisible in a PVP/UHC server? I know certain mods like HeroSneak exist, but gently caress my pinky hurts. Also, It should (at least)by default be invisible whilst standing perfectly still (inv management, accessing furnaces, chests, etc)

If you never broadcasted your name at all, no one would ever find anyone.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mr. Sharps posted:

Oh my god someone else uses songs by the books for seeds too. I feel like I've just seen a unicorn.
Album titles, actually. "The Way Out" never turned up anything interesting, but I played on "Lost and Safe" for a bit around 1.8.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

If you never broadcasted your name at all, no one would ever find anyone.

Well, I guess a "Spidey-sense" or alternatively "hot/cold" mod is needed. *Beep* *Beep* *Beep-Beep-Beep-Beep* *Dead*

My point is that in these publicly viewed instances it seems that it's typically ONE party that is aware of the other and gets the jump/advantage... which is what i always suspected. And it seems to be pretty arbitrary who has the advantage.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

feigning interest posted:

My point is that in these publicly viewed instances it seems that it's typically ONE party that is aware of the other and gets the jump/advantage... which is what i always suspected. And it seems to be pretty arbitrary who has the advantage.

This seems ideal, really. Ambushes are way more interesting than straight up normal minecraft combat, which is always complete poo poo.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

Yea, if you use your ears then you can hear miners from a distance. Hence many UHC players using *HIGHLY VISIBLE* cobble(smelt some smooth stone, wtf?) as a boundary because they can easily hear someone mining through it. In a limited world they are bound to run into each other.

E: Okay, i misread and I guess I'm in the minority. Whatever, my pinky in VERY strong

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ultra-hardcore mode should just replace all the water blocks in the game with lava blocks. No growing food, have to be super careful crossing the ocean, and good luck getting enough meat before all the animals get lava'd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

FWIW lava buckets weren't considered a true PVP tactic (it's basically an exploit)

edit: Not that i'm against them as a legit tactic, of course they are