Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rivera82falcon
Oct 30, 2007
Sine yo piddy on the runny kine!
My temporary layout

Panasonic 50" Plasma - TC-P50S1
NES // Sony BluRay Player // XBox360 // Wii
NES Games // Cablebox // Cable Router // NetGear Wireless Router

All of this is blocked off so my son won't knock it down however his reach is long enough to knock down the dvd rack. I'm looking for something to mount above the Plasma but not sure what would look good. This is a corner unit that I purchased from PC Richards...don't remember what type it is.

Soon, I plan on running a cable from my PC in another room to this tv and have a HTPC readily available as well. All in time but first, any ideas for a decent/good mounted dvd holder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Someone please buy my speakers

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

coolskillrex remix posted:

10 bucks

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Giblet posted:

10 bucks

20 but poster delivers them.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
$0.01!!

Wait...that's how it works, right? :ohdear:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

coolskillrex remix posted:

Shouldn't the center channel be the entire width of the screen as well ? You should've just made those speakers into a giant loop that goes around the entire room. And maybe out onto the street.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

jonathan posted:

Shouldn't the center channel be the entire width of the screen as well ? You should've just made those speakers into a giant loop that goes around the entire room. And maybe out onto the street.

Yo dawg I heard you like listening to your speakers, so I put some speakers in your speakers so you can listen while you listen.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
cherry veneer? nah-dawg, we just hollowed out a tree and ran the wiring up through the center.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

MMD3 posted:

cherry veneer? nah-dawg, we just hollowed out a tree and ran the wiring up through the center.

Cutting down trees? Man we left them in the ground and built your house around it.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Giblet posted:

Cutting down trees? Man we left them in the ground and built your house around it.

Who needs to spike their speakers when they're already rooted. the bass resonates through the ENTIRE GROUND UNDERNEATH THE HOUSE.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.

MMD3 posted:

Who needs to spike their speakers when they're already rooted. the bass resonates through the ENTIRE GROUND UNDERNEATH THE HOUSE.

Talk about a sub-floor.

Synathaesia
Jul 4, 2009

it's been a hard day's night
and I'd been workin' like a dog

The updated stack of stuff:
Darkvoice 336SE
Denon AH-D2000
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro
Sunfire Theater Grand Preamp/Processor
Adcom GFA535
NEC AUT-8000E

Synathaesia fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 3, 2012

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001
PUT MY CART BACK? I'M BETTER THAN THAT AND YOU! WHERE IS MY BUTLER?!
Finally finished my basement build after a year of work!

More details here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3476958

XBMC
70" Sharp 6 series
Onkyo 5.1 + 2 zone for the shower.
Infinity towers, center and rears.

Ahz fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 6, 2012

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

I was made to understand there were grilled cheese sandwiches here.
Wow, very cool. I love your floors! Great choices on your furniture too.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Ahz posted:

Finally finished my basement build after a year of work!

More details here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3476958

XBMC
70" Sharp 6 series
Onkyo 5.1 + 2 zone for the shower.
Infinity towers, center and rears.

whoa, that's really beautiful and crazy big tv but looks like kind of a small room for having such an elaborate system... seating for what, 3?

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001
PUT MY CART BACK? I'M BETTER THAN THAT AND YOU! WHERE IS MY BUTLER?!
Thanks, yeah 3 on the couch and 1 chair. Though we can bring more chairs downstairs if we need to for more guests. I think the 70" is the perfect size for a small space, just large enough that I don't need a projector to feel like I'm in the theatre.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Ahz posted:

Thanks, yeah 3 on the couch and 1 chair. Though we can bring more chairs downstairs if we need to for more guests. I think the 70" is the perfect size for a small space, just large enough that I don't need a projector to feel like I'm in the theatre.

just read through your build thread, wow wow... really awesome, makes a lot more sense now too, you certainly made the most of the space you had. 70" is a pretty good alternative to a projector I'd say ;)

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
That looks like a cool setup but i would have gone the full 9 yards. It looks like you only have one teeny window which means you can use a projector pretty much all day. Then paint the walls dark gray :)

Having seen the 70" sharp in person i think even my $1000 epson 8100 produces a much punchier picture, and thats with my bright white walls

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Stop hatin'.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Not the best photo, but you get the idea.

Old Paradigm towers and center, budget Onkyo receiver and rear surrounds, NAD 533 rega clone turntable, NAD PP-2 phono stage, Samsung 6400 42", Boxee, Squeezebox. Vinyl, video games, consoles, all live behind the sliding doors.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

ShaneB posted:

Not the best photo, but you get the idea.

Old Paradigm towers and center, budget Onkyo receiver and rear surrounds, NAD 533 rega clone turntable, NAD PP-2 phono stage, Samsung 6400 42", Boxee, Squeezebox. Vinyl, video games, consoles, all live behind the sliding doors.

That... is an awesome console, need to find something like this.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

MMD3 posted:

That... is an awesome console, need to find something like this.

It looks to me like it is actually 3 separate pieces with a solid finished piece of wood on top.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Giblet posted:

It looks to me like it is actually 3 separate pieces with a solid finished piece of wood on top.

It is, but it's a single "unit" that was designed that way. At least it appears to be.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

ShaneB posted:

It is, but it's a single "unit" that was designed that way. At least it appears to be.

Looks like '60s design. Anyway, it's awesome!

Italian Stalin
Jul 4, 2003

You-a gonna get-a purged!
I hope this isn't too off-topic, but I'm trying to find a good surge protector for my entertainment system. I'm particularly worried about brown-outs. My problem is that the majority of the devices I look at which claim to protect from all of these and more look like total scams. Is there a base level, reliable strip, UPS, whatever, that I can plug into a wall, plug my devices into, and know that they won't be damaged if the power starts getting wonky?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Italian Stalin posted:

Is there a base level, reliable strip, UPS, whatever, that I can plug into a wall, plug my devices into, and know that they won't be damaged if the power starts getting wonky?

Try something from APC. 8 outlet surge protector is $25, AV power conditioners are ~$200.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Monoprice has a variety of things. I've been waiting for this UPS to come back in stock for a long time now.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
I'm looking for some suggestions to improve my living room set-up. Currently it looks like this...

I need a way to consolidate the clutter; I don't like having the speaker bar sitting just in front of (blocking, actually) the sub-woofer. The Kinect actually blocks the TV's IR receiver where it's currently sitting. I want to move the table that the 360 sits on back to its rightful place next to the couches, and the old computer desk that the PS3 is on is going in a dumpster soon. I'm a little paranoid about either system overheating, so that's why they're not inside of the TV stand I have now (my modem is the only thing in there at the moment).

I included a picture of the space behind the TV because I was thinking of getting a wall mount, but wasn't sure how well it would work in a corner. The TV doesn't need to be moveable really, I just figured it would give me more room to place the speaker bar, sub-woofer, and properly-aerated game systems on a new entertainment system if I were to get one.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Truman Sticks posted:

I'm looking for some suggestions to improve my living room set-up. Currently it looks like this...

I need a way to consolidate the clutter; I don't like having the speaker bar sitting just in front of (blocking, actually) the sub-woofer. The Kinect actually blocks the TV's IR receiver where it's currently sitting. I want to move the table that the 360 sits on back to its rightful place next to the couches, and the old computer desk that the PS3 is on is going in a dumpster soon. I'm a little paranoid about either system overheating, so that's why they're not inside of the TV stand I have now (my modem is the only thing in there at the moment).

I included a picture of the space behind the TV because I was thinking of getting a wall mount, but wasn't sure how well it would work in a corner. The TV doesn't need to be moveable really, I just figured it would give me more room to place the speaker bar, sub-woofer, and properly-aerated game systems on a new entertainment system if I were to get one.

First off, never put a sub anywhere but on the ground near a wall. That must sound terrible... Other than that it basically just looks like you need a TV stand my man. Check out whatever furniture store. It would be easier if your TV wasn't in the corner, then you could get a wide stand and put your Xbox and PS3 on top of it. Also a wall mount is definitely an option, they make ones specifically for corners if you want to go that route.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Ikea just made an interesting announcement today...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Nm7-EuctOs

I don't think any of us are their target consumers since we all have most of these components already but could be interesting for college students or people who are moving to a new place and starting from scratch.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
Probably gonna head out today to look for TV stands. Anything in particular that I should look for? I've got a 50-inch Panasonic TC-P50S30 plasma; the TV was about 20 inches off the ground when sitting on my old stand and sub-woofer (which has been moved to the floor, thank you very much), and that seemed a pretty good height for me. Open back in the shelves is way preferred for the game consoles. I'm not too sure about wall-mounting now that I think about it, as I'm not brave enough to want to gently caress with a stud-finder and start drilling holes in an apartment I'm renting.

I wanna limit myself to $150, but I don't really have any frame of reference as to if that'd be a good price.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Truman Sticks posted:

Probably gonna head out today to look for TV stands. Anything in particular that I should look for? I've got a 50-inch Panasonic TC-P50S30 plasma; the TV was about 20 inches off the ground when sitting on my old stand and sub-woofer (which has been moved to the floor, thank you very much), and that seemed a pretty good height for me. Open back in the shelves is way preferred for the game consoles. I'm not too sure about wall-mounting now that I think about it, as I'm not brave enough to want to gently caress with a stud-finder and start drilling holes in an apartment I'm renting.

I wanna limit myself to $150, but I don't really have any frame of reference as to if that'd be a good price.

Best buy in Canada has a stand for $150. 3 shelves and a spine to hold your TV off the stand like a wall mount. I don't know the model number. They also have some nicer stuff in the $250 to 400 range. But that 150 priced one is nice. Might be cheaper in America.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

jonathan posted:

Best buy in Canada has a stand for $150. 3 shelves and a spine to hold your TV off the stand like a wall mount.

Ugh I think that poo poo looks so ugly. Either wall mount it of have it sit on a stand. Also find it looking weird when you wall mount just to put a stand under the TV with all your media stuff.

Oddly enough I have a glass Sony Bravia stand I got as a hand me down that fits/looks amazing with out 55" Samsung.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

The Dave posted:

Ugh I think that poo poo looks so ugly. Either wall mount it of have it sit on a stand. Also find it looking weird when you wall mount just to put a stand under the TV with all your media stuff.

Oddly enough I have a glass Sony Bravia stand I got as a hand me down that fits/looks amazing with out 55" Samsung.

I don't think it looks odd at all when done right. Wall mounting over a stand lets you squeeze out a bit more space under the TV. The real key is using a stand that isnt to tall, and mounting the TV in a way that doesn't make it look like it is floating way above the stand.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I could agree with that.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
Found a nice little stand from Best Buy for $100 earlier today, so now, after a little bit of furniture rearranging, it looks like so:

Cables are still messy in the back, but maybe I'll worry about that later. I had considered one of those TV stands with the spine, but the only one I found that looked any good was online and there was some problem with the metal bars on the back that would block the power cord on my model TV. Thanks for the help guys!

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Juriko posted:

I don't think it looks odd at all when done right. Wall mounting over a stand lets you squeeze out a bit more space under the TV. The real key is using a stand that isnt to tall, and mounting the TV in a way that doesn't make it look like it is floating way above the stand.

That's what I did for mine, my center channel sits on top of my cabinet with my TV wall mounted above it just enough to let the center block the view of the cables. Ended up looking really nice, here's an over saturated iPhone pic:

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Truman Sticks posted:

Found a nice little stand from Best Buy for $100 earlier today, so now, after a little bit of furniture rearranging, it looks like so:

Cables are still messy in the back, but maybe I'll worry about that later. I had considered one of those TV stands with the spine, but the only one I found that looked any good was online and there was some problem with the metal bars on the back that would block the power cord on my model TV. Thanks for the help guys!

A definite improvement! Looking pretty nice already.

Like you say, shame about the cables. The easiest fix might be a sheet of plywood spray painted black, which you screw/glue/nail/tape on to the back of the stand. Then cut some holes behind your components to let the cables out on the back side. That way, you don't get the black cables on white wall background.

Edit: Yes, I realize that the design of the stand is intentionally open, to give a "light" or "floating" impression, and that my suggestion would totally ruin that. But I think it would be an improvement. :) You may want to just get some velcro instead.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Apr 19, 2012

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

It looks like that stand already has 'cable management' what with the holes at the back and all. It's a laborious task but making sure all your cabling is running the same way through those holes to your various devices helps immensely.

If you can't cut some of that lot down then get with the zip ties and maybeeeee think about pulling any excess underneath the stand and simply blocking up the front of it at the bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

modig
Aug 20, 2002

88h88 posted:

If you can't cut some of that lot down then get with the zip ties and maybeeeee think about pulling any excess underneath the stand and simply blocking up the front of it at the bottom.

Zip ties are the solution.