Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

thecobra posted:

That wasn't meant to sound as bad as it looks. Just saying that those three brands were badge engineered. You missed one, and also one year off. :spergin:
I realized I missed one, too lazy to edit.
The year was a 1/2 educated guess (not a mopar guy) so 1 year isn't bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimulatedWoodgrain
Oct 6, 2006
Not sure how horrible this failure is, but it sure could have gotten bad if it had been let go any longer. Off my friends 06' SE-R Altima with about 90,000 miles on it. Hes always gone on and on about how the precats go to hell and can ruin the engine. Well he decided to dump a bunch of money on racing line precats and Y pipe, this is what we found when we got the old ones off. Looks like they came off not a moment too soon.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
What about intentional failures?

I am sure here in AI where I am only an occasional contributor, you guys could repost this where more applicable. I hope you don't think I am making GBS threads up this thread.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

thecobra posted:

uhhh no it doesn't. It makes it look like a 96 + Dodge / Chrysler / Plymouth something or other. Almost an intrepid but the headlights give it away.

That wasn't meant to sound as bad as it looks. Just saying that those three brands were badge engineered. You missed one, and also one year off. :spergin:

I had the exact same problem with the older K-car chassis models as well, they're all the loving same...

I blame all this unseasonable warmth we've been having lately:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
2.2L?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

This sadly was the 'straw that broke the camels back'. Ended up selling the car a few months later for parts.

100WHP NA FC with a full TII drive train - And people say rotaries have no torque.

I still have no loving clue how the hell I managed that.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

B4Ctom1 posted:

2.2L?

Why is it youre only an occasionally contributor? I remember you from Turbo Mustangs circa 2006 as being a pretty knowledgeable guy with some very very fast cars?

delete
Oct 19, 2004

Forums Kia Apologist
This was a mechanical failure for my alternator, but moreso for the stupid rat that got caught in my serpentine belt!
:nms::nms::nms:

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT

Beach Bum posted:

What's wrong with that? You don't always have to have tenders for shorter springs.

My E30 with HR Race has about that much gap in the front at full droop.

I'm running h&r race springs in my e30 as well and I've got nowhere near that much gap at full deflection..

The back, on the other hand.. I can drat near pull the springs out. Reminds me, I should find out why it isn't sitting level in the back one of these days.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

delete posted:

This was a mechanical failure for my alternator, but moreso for the stupid rat that got caught in my serpentine belt!

I guess you've never turned over an engine that had a cat sleeping in it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Paul Boz_ posted:

I guess you've never turned over an engine that had a cat sleeping in it.

I met a girl who did that. She was parked illegally with her hood up, and I decided to see if I could help. There was a kitten wedged up behind her fuse box, with it's butt caught on an A/C line.

Two hours and a lot of tugging later, she adopted this thing:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Safety Dance posted:

I met a girl who did that. She was parked illegally with her hood up, and I decided to see if I could help. There was a kitten wedged up behind her fuse box, with it's butt caught on an A/C line.

Two hours and a lot of tugging later, she adopted this thing:

He meant "cat sleeping in/on fan or accessory belt". It's not pretty. It's also hard to tell a little girl that your truck ate her kitty because you didn't know the dumb animal would sneak up there for warmth.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

EightBit posted:

He meant "cat sleeping in/on fan or accessory belt". It's not pretty. It's also hard to tell a little girl that your truck ate her kitty because you didn't know the dumb animal would sneak up there for warmth.

I know. I just wanted to replace that image with a happy ending.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Safety Dance posted:

There was a kitten wedged up behind her fuse box,

Hope she named it Sparky.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

There's a lot of cats in my neighborhood, and they sleep on cars quite often. I always beep my horn before starting the engine, just to be sure.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Many years ago, in Rochester NY, in midwinter, a friend of mine drove from a mall several miles to her home. Most of the trip was on the freeway.

On arrival, she heard an odd howling from under the hood. Turned out a cat had crawled up into the engine compartment seeking warmth.

It was, miraculously, physically uninjured, but permanently damaged psychologically. It lived under her bed for seven months. I only ever saw the cat once, as a grey blur streaking up the stairs when I came through the front door. Any noise spooked it.

Petekill
May 14, 2005

Where's Hammond?
Well I'll call him!

SimulatedWoodgrain posted:

Not sure how horrible this failure is, but it sure could have gotten bad if it had been let go any longer. Off my friends 06' SE-R Altima with about 90,000 miles on it. Hes always gone on and on about how the precats go to hell and can ruin the engine. Well he decided to dump a bunch of money on racing line precats and Y pipe, this is what we found when we got the old ones off. Looks like they came off not a moment too soon.

What exactly is going on here? I just bought an 06 SE-R recently, is this something I should be concerned about?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Petekill posted:

What exactly is going on here? I just bought an 06 SE-R recently, is this something I should be concerned about?
It looks like to me that the cats are incredibly clogged. Eventually, exhaust pressure building up in front of the cat will break it free of the exhaust and (knowing modern Nissan) probably suck in fragments of the cat material directly into some expensive part of the engine. Subaru had a similar problem with the 02-05 WRX where the up-pipe to the turbo had a cat which would let go and destroy the turbo.

Think of it like shoving a wad of chewing gum into the end of a pressure washer, then point the pressure washer directly at your eye.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 29, 2012

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Petekill posted:

When the pre cat breaks down (in the manifold) it gets sucked back into the motor. Some say while it's running due to valve overlap. I have a really hard time believing that. Some say it's on shutdown. I can believe that easier.

But regardless of the "how" is obviously happens, as it's a quite well known issue. It chews the poo poo our of your rings and cylinder bores.

It's also quite easy to check on once you've gotten past the totally rusty manifold bolts and studs that are on there and replace them with something newer.

If I recall, they were also fairly notable for losing set screws on the butterfly of the throttle body and ingesting them with the expected nasty results. It wouldn't hurt to carefully remove them and put a dab of thread locker on each.

PisoMojado
Mar 9, 2007

Petekill posted:

Hey there, '06 SE-R buddy :hfive:

Yeah, this was my car. As stated, over time the catalyst element gets broken down for a couple of reasons: the extremely close proximity to the engine and the fact that the stock Nissan tuning tends to run on the rich end of the spectrum. It doesn't have anything to do with them being clogged, you could see straight through these, actually.

As far as the VIAS butterfly screws, that only affects the QR25DE's, not the VQ's. The VIAS unit is one massive butterfly in the VQs and in the later ones it's all plastic. Might as well rip that out anyway and get an NWP blockoff plate for it.

Here's a better picture of the cat:

And here's the sweet bend they put in the Y-pipe before the third cat:

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Lord Gaga posted:

Why is it youre only an occasionally contributor? I remember you from Turbo Mustangs circa 2006 as being a pretty knowledgeable guy with some very very fast cars?
Things have changed, the poo poo I have forgotten by being out of the game could fill volumes. Nobody here wants to hear "put an LSx in it." over and over. Neither of my cars is running right now, so who am I to advise?

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

B4Ctom1 posted:

Neither of my cars is running right now, so who am I to advise?

You would be every person who ever posted on Turbo Mustangs before 2008.

DICTATOR OF FUNK
Nov 6, 2007

aaaaaw yeeeeeah
Time for a lesson in what happens when a shop doesn't clean up excess transmission fluid after installing a new input shaft seal in the torque converter!

So I picked up my little old 82 BMW 528e from the shop after having the seal replaced. I drove it for about 20 minutes no problem, parked it, and noticed smoke coming out of my air vents! Fantastic!

Then flames start pouring out of the defroster vent. I loving bail out.

Less than 5 minutes later, flames 6 feet high were engulfing the entire front of the car. In a public parking lot, with a nice large crowd gawking in horror while I waited for the fire department to show up and killed half a pack of cigarettes.

The end result? (This was after getting it towed home)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqGje64jP3o

:suicide:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

root beer posted:

Time for a lesson in what happens when a shop doesn't clean up excess transmission fluid after installing a new input shaft seal in the torque converter!

First of all, that absolutely sucks, and I'm sorry to see it.

But I'm having a hard time seeing how you can spill enough ATF in the right places to make that happen unless the rest of the undercarriage/motor was already covered in years of caked on oil. In fact, I'd love to see how enough got somewhere hot enough to ignite into a free burn to cause an ignition of the rest.

Obviously I'm not doubting you. It's pretty obvious it happened. Just curious as to details (I'm a fire investigator).

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

You like marijuana too much, man

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Motronic posted:

But I'm having a hard time seeing how you can spill enough ATF in the right places to make that happen unless the rest of the undercarriage/motor was already covered in years of caked on oil. In fact, I'd love to see how enough got somewhere hot enough to ignite into a free burn to cause an ignition of the rest.

Obviously I'm not doubting you. It's pretty obvious it happened. Just curious as to details (I'm a fire investigator).

I am just making up reasons here but my guess is on the exhaust. The flash point of ATF is less than 500 degrees F. There could be a spark from a short somewhere too.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
That poor old bimmer...

I hope you take that shop to the goddamn cleaners, there was no reason for that car to die like that.

Edit: My BMW love is showing, just having them replace the car would be more reasonable.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 30, 2012

DICTATOR OF FUNK
Nov 6, 2007

aaaaaw yeeeeeah

Motronic posted:

Honestly, I'm not very mechanically inclined, and when I returned to the shop and asked them what in god's green gently caress happened, they mentioned that it was a possibility that some messily spilled/leaking ATF on the exhaust may have caused it. It seemed to originate on the driver's side (smoke came from those vents first) back by the firewall; the engine bay is bizarrely clean still.

I'm going to find out tomorrow though; the mechanic from the shop who worked on it is coming to look at it tomorrow and he mentioned the possibility of just full-on replacing it for me which would be fantastic.

I'd like to know more details myself really. I wish I could get the acrid smell out of my nose. :(

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Lord Gaga posted:

I am just making up reasons here but my guess is on the exhaust. The flash point of ATF is less than 500 degrees F. There could be a spark from a short somewhere too.

It is about 445F, but it also is thin enough to not be able to build up too thickly on any surface to make for much potential energy, making secondary ignitions by anything other than direct impingement pretty unlikely.....by the books, anyway....vehicle fires are nightmares to investigate for many reasons (low value so not much attention/science is paid to them, usually totally destroyed in the fire, full of ignition sources and flammable liquids that often aren't where they are supposed to be, the "evidence destruction squad" (a.k.a. fire fighters) usually destroy all the evidence long before you've gotten there, etc).

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
It could easily pool and coat the whole back of the motor. Though FWIW I agree with you and think a fuel line popped or something.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Lord Gaga posted:

It could easily pool and coat the whole back of the motor. Though FWIW I agree with you and think a fuel line popped or something.

That's what I was trying to describe....when it "coats" things, it's not terribly thick. Not like nasty motor oil leaking out of seal over the course of months/years. So there's not a lot of energy there to catch other things on fire unless it's right next to a bunch of caked on motor oil or....yeah....gasoline from a ruptured line or FPR.

You'd be surprised how many things burn off of a vehicle without anyone noticing at all or more than "huh....I wonder what that smell was?".

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
wow that sucks bad :(

Whether it was a pool of trans fluid or a loose fuel line, clearly the shop was the last to gently caress with it and therefore in my mind they probably caused it.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
An ATF line burst on my shitbox Alero last fall, I'm probably lucky that there wasn't a fire. The mechanic had replaced the lines that run to the rad a few months prior but had run them too close to the fan shroud and they rubbed through. The trans fluid was being pumped straight into the cooling fan. I didn't realise what was happening until I saw smoke in my rear view mirror. Most of the engine compartment, underside, exhaust and driver side of the car was coated in it.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Similar vein, anchor brake failure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAcfaMDcY68

Not quite as horrifying, but still pretty :stare:

From the comments: "where the gently caress did that anchor go? loving mars?"

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Crossposting this from the GiP "hosed up things that shared the poo poo out of you" thread:

Two Finger posted:

This was an engine. It oversped (badly) and as tends to happen, something let go. There was actually a guy standing beside the engine when it happened. It was a goddamn miracle no one was killed.

Here is the rest of the set.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Lord Gaga posted:

You would be every person who ever posted on Turbo Mustangs before 2008.

I think what happens is you get enough information that you begin settle for no less than to reach for the stars but only have a money and time budget that allows you shoot off bottle rockets. In the interim you refuse to settle and then nothing gets done.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

delete posted:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

afterIgottowork.jpg or mycathatesme.jpg

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I know what I'm doing to a friend of mine next April Fools Day.

Except I'll choose something stranger, like a snake or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
My dad once smelled something burning when he took the car out, and pulled over to check it out. As soon as he stopped, a singed feline rocketed out from under the engine bay and across the school playing fields he'd stopped next to.

He's a vet. Spent the next week hoping none of his clients brought in their cat, regaling him with tales of poor Mr Frisky's probable torture at the hands of local teenagers.