Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Ugh is my save bugged out? I think I can't romanticize Liara. I didn't even cheat on her in ME2 and did the shadowbrooker part and everything. But I've just done Citadel Priority 1 and I think something should have happened by now right? Others are throwing themselves at my awesome Shepard but Liara isn't :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Sombrerotron posted:

Hahaha, I finally got to see Conrad in ME3, and I'm goddamn glad I had decided not to read any spoilers. When the asari matriarch writings and Elkoss Combine license came up, I just gaped at my monitor in stupefied disbelief. It blows my mind that those variables have been tracked all the way from ME1, and that those utterly pointless things actually end up serving some purpose after all these years. Amazing.

Highlight of the game for me is the little bit with Conrad. Kind of amazing that they made this one section with the series's joke character so much more reactive than the actual end sequence of the game.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

dwazegek posted:

And only planets have anything useful. Stuff found floating around is always fuel,

Spoiler you morans!

Regarding the statement that only planets only having anything useful: doesn't the wreckage of Arcturus Station have a Shadow Broker upgrade? I think that isn't the only non-planet upgrade/scan in the game, but I'm not really sure.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Affi posted:

Ugh is my save bugged out? I think I can't romanticize Liara. I didn't even cheat on her in ME2 and did the shadowbrooker part and everything. But I've just done Citadel Priority 1 and I think something should have happened by now right? Others are throwing themselves at my awesome Shepard but Liara isn't :(

Talk to her on the Citadel again? I'm pretty sure I didn't get the Paramour achievement until after Citadel Priority so you probably haven't been able to get that far yet.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

skoolmunkee posted:

Around the ship they'll update after every mission (except the N7 ones I think). So if you want to catch it all you'll end up doing a ship round between each one. They stay put on the Citadel until you finish Priority: Tuchanka, after which some people and stuff get moved around (and will stay put again).

With the mods you have to buy them and find them. You can only get to level 5 in the first playthrough. You do end up with lots of money but not enough to buy and upgrade everything. Pick favorites for upgrading the weapons themselves, but you might as well buy all the upgrades for mods you like since those work across the weapons in a set.

I've had them update after N7 missions, but it seems inconsistent. Sometimes they have something new to say, sometimes not. You can hit the... left trigger? on Xbox/PS3 (don't know computer) to bring up a map, and then use the bumpers to flip through and see squaddie locations on the Normandy/Citadel.

Important to note, make sure you finish off all the Citadel based 'go scan poo poo' quests BEFORE doing the Priority: Tuchanka mission, or you'll be locked out. Also important to know is that sometimes you can't complete those missions right away: the cluster/system/mission is locked off for now. They don't give any indication of which ones you can't do right away.

Weapons themselves can be upgraded at a terminal in the cargo bay, up to level 5, or level 10 on a NG+.
Weapon mods only go to level 5- 2 or 3 levels are found during missions, the rest have to be bought (although not all levels unlock right away).

There's lots of money in the game, as long as you're:
-exploring mission maps for poo poo to find (my favourite is 'salvaging' someone's bank account)
-not respeccing too often
-pick up all weapons/mods/armour/items while on mission, so you don't have to buy them later
-don't buy poo poo you won't use
-some planets give credit rewards when scanned

Sombrerotron posted:

Hahaha, I finally got to see Conrad in ME3, and I'm goddamn glad I had decided not to read any spoilers. When the asari matriarch writings and Elkoss Combine license came up, I just gaped at my monitor in stupefied disbelief. It blows my mind that those variables have been tracked all the way from ME1, and that those utterly pointless things actually end up serving some purpose after all these years. Amazing.

The first guy Conrad namedrops (the one Shep did a favour for) was actually a guy who gives you a quest on Feros to scan a computer in the Exogeni building. I can't imagine anyone would not have done that quest, it's so simple.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

WE CAN USE THIS :byodood:

HoveringCheesecake posted:

Regarding the statement that only planets only having anything useful: doesn't the wreckage of Arcturus Station have a Shadow Broker upgrade? I think that isn't the only non-planet upgrade/scan in the game, but I'm not really sure.

Yeah, it does. It's highlighted on the map though, so I didn't count it as just floating around.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

UnknownMercenary posted:

If you have everything you get 5 points.
Hooray !!

Mazerunner posted:

The first guy Conrad namedrops (the one Shep did a favour for) was actually a guy who gives you a quest on Feros to scan a computer in the Exogeni building. I can't imagine anyone would not have done that quest, it's so simple.
Conrad's response to Shepard's instant recognition of the name made me giggle a little bit, even if I had no idea who this person was until I went to the ME wiki. I've completed that side mission several times over, though, I swear!

EDIT: I also thought it was really funny that Conrad turns out to be a smartypants physicist who's written a disseration on dark energy, especially because Shepard's so taken aback by that revelation.

Sombrerotron fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 28, 2012

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Sombrerotron posted:

Hooray !!
Conrad's response to Shepard's instant recognition of the name made me giggle a little bit, even if I had no idea who this person was until I went to the ME wiki. I've completed that side mission several times over, though, I swear!

Yeah, that happened to me too. I also thought Conrad was more batshit than normal at first, because I thought he was talking into an imaginary phone to his very important friend.

Hidohebhi
Nov 19, 2006

"Do you know how hard it was to find 'a bangin' redhead'?"

HenessyHero posted:

Yeah, that happened to me too. I also thought Conrad was more batshit than normal at first, because I thought he was talking into an imaginary phone to his very important friend.

I have never spoken to Conrad ME1 because he creeped me the gently caress out whenever I'd play through it. It makes me happy that he's present in the last game. Also I might have to rectify not talking to him in ME1...

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Ugh, the quest tracking in ME3 is poo poo. How/where do I find artifacts for the Presidium Commons black market salarian so he'll sell weapons to General Oraka so he'll let up on Eclipse so Aria will throw in with me?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

WarLocke posted:

Ugh, the quest tracking in ME3 is poo poo. How/where do I find artifacts for the Presidium Commons black market salarian so he'll sell weapons to General Oraka so he'll let up on Eclipse so Aria will throw in with me?

Scan dem planets.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Affi posted:

For some reason she takes a long time to act like you're more than book club buddies, but she'll get there.

As for the spoiler part in the post above me, I don't know exactly where, it's on some random planet. Just keep scanning poo poo.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Gaz-L posted:

Scan dem planets.
Assuming that the main quest has got to the stage where you can scan the required planets.

The sidequests are handled really poorly.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.

Affi posted:

Just keep goin at it. Hers are a bit slower to happen, it seems. Although, I will say I got her paramour at the same time I could've gotten a bunch of others, including Kaidan's.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

WarLocke posted:

I dunno, here's a link with all the planets n poo poo. Mostly accurate I think.

Looks like it's in the Kite's Nest, Vana system.

Hidohebhi
Nov 19, 2006

"Do you know how hard it was to find 'a bangin' redhead'?"

WarLocke posted:

For some reason I want to say this is the only side mission that shows up on the Galaxy Map with a little pointer that says "Find artifacts" or something, but maybe that's another quest. Maybe they tried to make it like ME2 and just failed miserably?

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Hidohebhi posted:

For some reason I want to say this is the only side mission that shows up on the Galaxy Map with a little pointer that says "Find artifacts" or something, but maybe that's another quest. Maybe they tried to make it like ME2 and just failed miserably?

You're right. This particular side quest is marked on the galaxy map. It's the only scanning mission that's marked this way. I guess it was meant to be a tutorial on how to scan, but the player has probably done a lot of scanning by that point already.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I'm kind of sick of side missions in ME1. Driving the Mako gets old. Which ones will actually affect me in ME2, or at all beyond just getting credits/exp/loot?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Elysiume posted:

I'm kind of sick of side missions in ME1. Driving the Mako gets old. Which ones will actually affect me in ME2, or at all beyond just getting credits/exp/loot?

A few of them have tiny mentions. Nothing really significant beyond that.

The Luna one is by far the most important one in ME1, because it gets you the bonus class stuff.

E: That's for the Mako stuff anyway.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Mar 29, 2012

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Elysiume posted:

None of the side missions in ME1 that I can recall have much of an effect on ME2 besides the occasional cameo/email. As it turns out though that random girl in Chora's Den does play a not-insignificant role in ME3, so don't skip out on that one!

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.
Just a reminder - most of the tricky quests (that aren't explained well in the journal, since it doesn't update this game, god knows why) are written up in the OP. :)

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

I don't know how anyone is playing this game on PC. Three nights in a row I haven't been able to connect to their servers to verify my DLC, regardless of my anti-virus or firewall status. What a loving pain in the rear end.

E: I'm so goddamn close to the end. Is this the ending everyone has been bitching about? Because I agree. What a lovely ending.

bunky fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 29, 2012

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
EDIT: Wrong thread.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Doing the Grissom Academy mission:

1: Holy hell I love the Mattock, even if it's only at rank 1. 420 scope in and pop heads erryday

2: Jack is awesome as always

3: Holy gently caress some of the grinder fights on Insanity are, well, insane. I'ma try the fight after you unlock the big door (big ramp up to the right, mech pressuring from below-left and guys rushing you from left and down the ramp) again tomorrow, fuuuuck

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

WarLocke posted:

Doing the Grissom Academy mission:

1: Holy hell I love the Mattock, even if it's only at rank 1. 420 scope in and pop heads erryday

2: Jack is awesome as always

3: Holy gently caress some of the grinder fights on Insanity are, well, insane. I'ma try the fight after you unlock the big door (big ramp up to the right, mech pressuring from below-left and guys rushing you from left and down the ramp) again tomorrow, fuuuuck

That atrium battle was one of the toughest in the game for me. Enemies just have so many entry points and your cover opportunities are limited once you move past the outer ring.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

That atrium battle was one of the toughest in the game for me. Enemies just have so many entry points and your cover opportunities are limited once you move past the outer ring.

I think I'm going to have to re-learn how to handle big fights. In ME2 my go-to tactic was to find a defensive position and bunker up, and then just mow down guys as they came until they ran out of dudes to throw at me. That doesn't work as well in ME3, both because enemies seem more aggressive in general and they have new toys to flush you out (gently caress grenades :argh:)

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

I would recommend staying on the outer ring and fight and move along it until you reach the big dividing wall which let me cut down on the number of angles I was attack from and clear out one side before tackling the other. This allowed me to keep moving and stay in cover as you only have to deal with enemies on the outer ring if you use cover intelligently because you'll have an elevation advantage.

Running to any of the lower levels is just an excuse to get ganged up on from all sides.

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Punishing with his kindness
Jacob is perfect

WarLocke posted:

your first time through the game and that atrium fight is the hardest thing you'll face.

the combination of turrets, guardians coming down from your right flank, grenades, smoke grenades, atlases and very little room is just rough.

Add in the fact that if you rush into the room the door will slam behind you, trapping your companions from most of the fight until they warp into the room and it really sucks.

One thing I am grateful for in this game is that 'boss fights' on insanity don't suck like they did in ME2. No more 10+ minutes of strafing around praetorians or the 30 minute fight I had against the shadowbroker on insanity difficulty.

that really sucked.

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.
A minute left to extraction on my first gold match and the EA servers suddenly become inaccessible for me. :argh:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Banjodark posted:

the combination of turrets, guardians coming down from your right flank, grenades, smoke grenades, atlases and very little room is just rough.

I think I boned myself by bring Liara and Javik. Plenty of biotic power and control, but they're both squishy (even though I tend to spec everyone's passive along the hp/shield branch instead of damage when possible). Javik's a beast with the particle AR though. :black101:

Turrets are really annoying as a Soldier (but I imagine fun as an Engineer with Sabotage), Guardians are cake as long as I can have Liara Singularity them (Adrenaline Rush + Scoped Mattock = ded), it's the combination of all that poo poo at once and not being able to see poo poo due to smoke and having to constantly dodge grenades and fffffff

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

Something you can try to get a extra boost of damage on those turrets is to stasis the engineer when he's right next to it and then trigger a detonation. Usually fucks the turret right up.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
ME1 romance question, since there's no much info. If I talked to Liara and she talked about melding but said "we should wait until things have quieted down," is that romance locked out? Kind of problematic since I sacrificed Kaidan.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

losonti tokash posted:

Something you can try to get a extra boost of damage on those turrets is to stasis the engineer when he's right next to it and then trigger a detonation. Usually fucks the turret right up.

That brings up a question, is there any way to keep an engineer dude form dropping a turret once the turret-box is actually in his hands? I'm pretty sure I've managed to stasis or just kill the dude at that point but the box just drops to the ground and deploys anyway. :saddowns:

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

No, she's just waiting until right before you go to Ilos.

Edit: The turret is still kinda vulnerable when it's still a box but otherwise seems to just automatically set itself up. It's really annoying but at least you can shoot it while it's doing that.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

WarLocke posted:

That brings up a question, is there any way to keep an engineer dude form dropping a turret once the turret-box is actually in his hands? I'm pretty sure I've managed to stasis or just kill the dude at that point but the box just drops to the ground and deploys anyway. :saddowns:

You can shoot the turret while it's in his hands and it'll explode.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

QuantaStarFire posted:

You can shoot the turret while it's in his hands and it'll explode.

Or while it's on his back. It's pretty awesome.

It sucks when you charge, nova and then get killed by a turret because You didn't see it.

I missed doing the Geth Fighter Base mission on my first playthrough and what a cool mission for getting more insight to the whole conflict you're involved in now. The Geth seem honestly confused with what's happening, and its shows that the Quarians themselves were divided about what to do with the geth. It's neat that they suggest that Legion was that first geth who questioned its existence. All I hope is I've done enough to make peace between the two possible.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

bunky posted:

I don't know how anyone is playing this game on PC. Three nights in a row I haven't been able to connect to their servers to verify my DLC, regardless of my anti-virus or firewall status. What a loving pain in the rear end.

E: I'm so goddamn close to the end. Is this the ending everyone has been bitching about? Because I agree. What a lovely ending.

I just click Cancel whenever it says that, I didn't buy any DLC so no big deal. Is that not working?

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

WarLocke posted:

Turrets are really annoying as a Soldier (but I imagine fun as an Engineer with Sabotage), Guardians are cake as long as I can have Liara Singularity them (Adrenaline Rush + Scoped Mattock = ded), it's the combination of all that poo poo at once and not being able to see poo poo due to smoke and having to constantly dodge grenades and fffffff

While not a flashy ammo ability, if you're using disruptor ammo it can overheat/stun both a turret's and a Guardian's guns giving you a window of oppportunity to take them out. In other situations, it can also set up a tech explosion if you have someone with the right powers with you.

I don't know if turrets can catch fire from incediary ammo, guardians can at least, but that combos with frag grenades for an impromptu inferno grenade explosion.

If you took warp ammo and leveled concussive blast to take on ammo properties, you can participate in biotic explosions when Liara puts a stasis on something.

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho
You may want to add a little heads up for the Eden Prime sidequest in the OP, since the info for the resistance movement is loving impossible to find and if you don't find it the first time you can't land on Eden EVER again because Bioware decided JRPG game design is cool.

So you will lose the war asset, the quest will never be marked as failed in your journal (confusing as gently caress), and you will probably wonder why you have bought the DLC if you can never revisit THE CONTENT YOU JUST PAID FOR.

I will say it again: the user score on Metacritic is very accurate for ME3, this is the DA2 of Mass Effects, by far the weaker of the trilogy, and no amount of fanboyism will be able to deny that this is a rushed game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Couldn't the same thing happen in previous games?

E: It was annoying then and it's annoying now, but I don't see why it means that this one is rushed.

• Locked thread