Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

adorai posted:

I don't think it's a problem. The size listed is the maximum size the volume could reach, which is calculated by adding the currently used space to the available space. It's been like this, well, forever.

As for a single disk failure causing data loss, I'll paraphrase the zdnet guy. Disks have a specified unrecoverable read error rate. Consumer SATA drives have so much capacity, that it is likely you will encounter an unrecoverable read error at one point during a rebuild of a sufficiently large array. Without the parity data during a rebuild, you have the potential for data loss. Most disks will go into "Heroic Recovery Mode" which exasperates the situation, because the disk will appear unresponsive for seconds to minutes, which could cause it to drop out of the array. So not only do you have to contend with not being able to trust your data after a full rebuild, you also have controllers that will flat out stop a rebuild on a URE with no additional parity data, and you also have to deal with the appearance of a 2 disk failure (though the other disk will eventually come back) knocking your array offline. I use raid 5 for 5 or less disks, more than that and you need more parity data IMO. Even with ZFS, I am paranoid.

With ZFS you can at least be sure that you're data is good or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I just picked up a Synology DS212J. I've googled around some and found a couple sites with good information on installing additional software (beyond DSM), but are there any superlative sites out there that anyone uses often?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Thank god for goons. My 2TB external hard drive finally filled up so I started looking into a more robust storage solution. I poked around for awhile browsing various RAID enclosures, HTPC cases, NAS devices, etc but couldn't really find what I was looking for. Found this thread and all the discussion of the N40L, it is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Ended up ordering one with 8GB of the ECC RAM that was linked earlier, and an Intel PCIE nic. Looking at the hard drive price charts (<3 camelegg) it seems like they are about to drop again very soon, so I held off on ordering any drives. The plan is to go with 4x2TB low RPM drives in a raidz2 configuration.

How many years can I leave this thing on for before I should replace the drives in it?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

fletcher posted:

How many years can I leave this thing on for before I should replace the drives in it?

That's not really the proper approach to data security. The answer is "You should replace a drive when your server returns read/write errors."

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Bucket Joneses posted:

That's not really the proper approach to data security. The answer is "You should replace a drive when your server returns read/write errors."

More appropriate answer: Figure out how long your manufacturer's warranty is and then add 1 day.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
Setup a S.M.A.R.T. schedule and replace a drive as they provide errors.

I have a short test running every day at midnight and a long test once a week. I'm not sure if this is the optimal schedule though.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Bucket Joneses posted:

But after 10 years, even if there are no errors, should the drives be replaced?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

fletcher posted:

But after 10 years, even if there are no errors, should the drives be replaced?
After 10 years your array will fit on a single new drive and you won't be able to find the old drive tech anyway.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

evil_bunnY posted:

After 10 years your array will fit on a single new drive and you won't be able to find the old drive tech anyway.

IE, in 2002 they released the first SATA 1 drive and broke the 137 GB address barrier - now we're rocking SATA III and 4TB drives are main stream.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

UndyingShadow posted:

That makes me feel better. The article made it seem that you would lose the entire array (maybe that's the case for raid 6, since it doesn't actually seem to know anything about the data on the drive) I could handle a lost file, but the thought of losing all the data due to a URE was a little hard to deal with. Thanks for the info.

RAID != backup. Even ZFS and raidzN are not infallible. Luckily Sun/Oracle provides handy directions for dealing with such a scenario.

quote:

If the pool cannot be recovered by the pool recovery method described above, you must restore the pool and all its data from backup. The mechanism you use varies widely by the pool configuration and backup strategy. First, save the configuration as displayed by zpool status so that you can recreate it once the pool is destroyed. Then, use zpool destroy -f to destroy the pool. Also, keep a file describing the layout of the datasets and the various locally set properties somewhere safe, as this information will become inaccessible if the pool is ever rendered inaccessible. With the pool configuration and dataset layout, you can reconstruct your complete configuration after destroying the pool. The data can then be populated by using whatever backup or restoration strategy you use.
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19082-01/817-2271/gbbwl/index.html

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Longinus00 posted:

RAID != backup. Even ZFS and raidzN are not infallible.

This is absolutely true. What I do is keep a single 1TB drive in my desktop which I use for all my "important" stuff (documents, pictures, music - stuff I'd poo poo myself over if I lost). My NAS is used as a local backup of that stuff (I have a nightly robocopy script that backs everything up) in addition to storing non-important stuff (install files, movies, TV shows, documentaries, etc. - stuff I can lose and not cry about). The nice thing about this setup is that it's really the non-important stuff that takes up the most space. My important stuff only takes up about 300gb of space. Finally, I use CrashPlan on top of all that to once again backup the important stuff to the "cloud". CrashPlan (and most other cloud backup services) won't allow you to backup a NAS, so having the 1TB internal drive comes in handy. This setup gives me both a local and a non-local backup, so if my apartment were to burn down or whatever, I'd be covered.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

thideras posted:

With that much space, you are either going to be making your own server or buying [really expensive] 4tb disks. Tape drives would be good for backups or files that you don't need to access "right now" and that rarely/never change. I'd rather have the spinning disks, though.

For online storage, you may want to add Backblaze and, my personal favorite, CrashPlan. Backblaze is ~$4/mo if you buy a year and CrashPlan is $3/mo. CrashPlan works on Linux (which is why I use it) and you can have other computers or your friends backup to you for free. Good luck uploading 20tb of data and keeping it current. I exclude all media that can be reproduced (ISO's, video/audio), which leaves me around 10gb of data to keep updated.

Thinking ahead...The online file server approach seems more appealing by the minute since it would cost me at least $1000 just for the drives alone if 2TB drives magically dropped to $99 each overnight. Then I still have to buy the hardware that will eventually fail and cause me to lose all my data. All this for the simple benefit of accessing the files locally.

I don't care about accessing the data locally per se, just as long as everything is in a safe place and I do have access to it whenever I feel like it without spending a ton of money. I don't need the files to be constantly backed-up and updated; just a place to store a very large amount of files where I won't lose them.

Are there any catches with services like CrashPlan and BackBlaze? I read a blog post saying that CrashPlan cuts the bandwidth of your data so much that it takes a year to upload 1TB of data. I don't want to run into things like that after I buy a year of service.

thideras
Oct 27, 2010

Fuck you, I'm a tree.
Fun Shoe

Charles Martel posted:

Thinking ahead...The online file server approach seems more appealing by the minute since it would cost me at least $1000 just for the drives alone if 2TB drives magically dropped to $99 each overnight. Then I still have to buy the hardware that will eventually fail and cause me to lose all my data. All this for the simple benefit of accessing the files locally.

I don't care about accessing the data locally per se, just as long as everything is in a safe place and I do have access to it whenever I feel like it without spending a ton of money. I don't need the files to be constantly backed-up and updated; just a place to store a very large amount of files where I won't lose them.
Unfortunately, that is something you will have to decide for yourself. Having a central server that manages/maintains backups and shares out to all the other computers is extremely convenient. If your system is the only one that needs to access the files, having a dedicated server is a bit of overkill (again with this word, what does it mean?!). You'd be better off going with a RAID card (or internal HBA and use software RAID) and just mounting them locally.

Charles Martel posted:

Are there any catches with services like CrashPlan and BackBlaze? I read a blog post saying that CrashPlan cuts the bandwidth of your data so much that it takes a year to upload 1TB of data. I don't want to run into things like that after I buy a year of service.
I'm not aware of any limits on the service, but my upload isn't anything crazy good (180 kb/sec) and I limit the service to 50 kb/sec so it doesn't bring down the entire network. At 180 kb/sec, that would be 69 days to upload 1tb worth of data. It looks like CrashPlan offers a service to pre-load data, but I'd honestly just wait by backing up the most critical files first and then doing the rest slowly.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Charles Martel posted:

CrashPlan explicitly states, "We don't limit in any way. No file size limits, no file type restrictions, no bandwidth throttling and no barriers, just backup." I've used BackBlaze in the past, and they didn't throttle either. When I was looking at online services a year ago, JungleDisk and Mozy did throttle.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
My N40L came in Monday, and my 8gb of RAM came in today. I was waiting for the RAM to arrive before I set everything up.

I did some research and decided to just use a 2GB USB thumb drive to run the OS (FreeNAS 8.0.4). Everything seems to be working great, but I'm wondering if I should be using a larger (and maybe faster) thumb drive. The main reason is because I know FreeNAS 8.2 will support plugins (which will take up some space), and also, I'm not sure how much space log files take up. 8gb and 16gb drives are really cheap on Amazon. Which thumb drives do you guys use?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Fangs404 posted:

My N40L came in Monday, and my 8gb of RAM came in today. I was waiting for the RAM to arrive before I set everything up.

I did some research and decided to just use a 2GB USB thumb drive to run the OS (FreeNAS 8.0.4). Everything seems to be working great, but I'm wondering if I should be using a larger (and maybe faster) thumb drive. The main reason is because I know FreeNAS 8.2 will support plugins (which will take up some space), and also, I'm not sure how much space log files take up. 8gb and 16gb drives are really cheap on Amazon. Which thumb drives do you guys use?

I went to my local retailer and bought some lexar 16GB stick that advertised 25mb read 15mb write. In reality it was only 20/10. I would go for at least 4GB. The FreeNAS website says that the image changed from 1GB to 2GB with the latest release (8.04). So after formatting the 2GB thumb drive, I'm not even sure if FreeNAS will fit.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Fangs404 posted:

Does freenas really write logfiles to usb sticks? That sounds like a silly idea and would be the first thing I turn off.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
It's been a while since I've used FreeNAS, but writing logs and configs was definitely an option. I don't think writing logs was default behavior, though.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

thideras posted:

Unfortunately, that is something you will have to decide for yourself. Having a central server that manages/maintains backups and shares out to all the other computers is extremely convenient. If your system is the only one that needs to access the files, having a dedicated server is a bit of overkill (again with this word, what does it mean?!). You'd be better off going with a RAID card (or internal HBA and use software RAID) and just mounting them locally.

I'm not aware of any limits on the service, but my upload isn't anything crazy good (180 kb/sec) and I limit the service to 50 kb/sec so it doesn't bring down the entire network. At 180 kb/sec, that would be 69 days to upload 1tb worth of data. It looks like CrashPlan offers a service to pre-load data, but I'd honestly just wait by backing up the most critical files first and then doing the rest slowly.

Fangs404 posted:

CrashPlan explicitly states, "We don't limit in any way. No file size limits, no file type restrictions, no bandwidth throttling and no barriers, just backup." I've used BackBlaze in the past, and they didn't throttle either. When I was looking at online services a year ago, JungleDisk and Mozy did throttle.

Thanks for the replies. A ~$1500 server does seem to be overkill for what I want to do. I may go the Crashplan route, for now at least.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.

IT Guy posted:

I went to my local retailer and bought some lexar 16GB stick that advertised 25mb read 15mb write. In reality it was only 20/10. I would go for at least 4GB. The FreeNAS website says that the image changed from 1GB to 2GB with the latest release (8.04). So after formatting the 2GB thumb drive, I'm not even sure if FreeNAS will fit.

I'm running the latest version of FreeNAS on a $4 4GB drive from microcenter and haven't had any issues.

My only problem with it is I went to plug in 3 1TB drives and the system refused to POST. Didn't have time to troubleshoot further at the time but I'm leaning towards the PSU being insufficient.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

When I try to start up SMART with FreeNAS I keep getting this message:

code:
Mar 28 22:42:16 XXX smartd[96550]: Device: /dev/ada3, WARNING: Using smartmontools or hdparm with this
Mar 28 22:42:16 XXX smartd[96550]: drive may result in data loss due to a firmware bug.
Mar 28 22:42:16 XXX smartd[96550]: ****** THIS DRIVE MAY OR MAY NOT BE AFFECTED! ******
Mar 28 22:42:16 XXX smartd[96550]: Buggy and fixed firmware report same version number!
Mar 28 22:42:16 XXX smartd[96550]: See the following web pages for details:
Mar 28 22:42:16 XXX smartd[96550]: [url]http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/faqView.do?b2b_bbs_msg_id=386[/url]
Mar 28 22:42:16 XXX smartd[96550]: [url]http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/smartmontools/wiki/SamsungF4EGBadBlocks[/url]
Mar 28 22:42:21 XXX freenas[1986]: Executing: /bin/pgrep -F /var/run/smartd.pid smartd
I just bought the drives so I'm sure they were manufactured after the firmware change date. I never get a SMART log. Does anyone know how do to get SMART working?

I tried logging in as root and doing smartctl -a /dev/ada0, power_on_hours is at 218 and lifetime hours is at 131 for a short offline test.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Note the fourth line. The only way to test is to see if you actually get data loss, or to just perform the flash anyway (it'll happily re-write the fixed firmware) and write a note to yourself on the drive label. Or you could just rest assured that all post-December 2010 drive have the patch as per Samsung's statements.

As for why you never got the log, what command did you run? smartctl -a? The program shouldn't not be giving you information, just including that warning at the top.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Longinus00 posted:

Does freenas really write logfiles to usb sticks? That sounds like a silly idea and would be the first thing I turn off.

I thought it would, but after looking through all the options, I'm not sure it does actually.

I got everything setup (permissions were a little wonky, but this page pretty clearly walked me through it once I discovered it). I'm transferring some files over, and I'm only getting write speeds around 50-60mb/s (these are large files, too - the ones being moved over now are ~3gb). How are some of you achieving 100mb/s write speeds?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Are you sure the read media can do faster than that?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Fangs404 posted:

I thought it would, but after looking through all the options, I'm not sure it does actually.

I got everything setup (permissions were a little wonky, but this page pretty clearly walked me through it once I discovered it). I'm transferring some files over, and I'm only getting write speeds around 50-60mb/s (these are large files, too - the ones being moved over now are ~3gb). How are some of you achieving 100mb/s write speeds?

Using a N40L with 4x 2TB 7K3000 drives, FreeNAS 8.04 /w ZFS, I get around 105MB/s average read and write. So take away overhead, I'm maxing out gigabit speeds. I have a switch that supports LAG and 9k frames, I just need to upgrade the NIC in the N40L before I can do that. Once done, I expect I'll see even faster speeds.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

IT Guy posted:

Using a N40L with 4x 2TB 7K3000 drives, FreeNAS 8.04 /w ZFS, I get around 105MB/s average read and write. So take away overhead, I'm maxing out gigabit speeds. I have a switch that supports LAG and 9k frames, I just need to upgrade the NIC in the N40L before I can do that. Once done, I expect I'll see even faster speeds.

My read speeds are 60-90mb/s. Are there any special settings you used, or is that basically out of the box? Did you force 4k sector sizes? I didn't manually configure any of the network settings, so I'm wondering if that's it.

I'm getting these speeds over Samba/CIFS. Same for you?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Fangs404 posted:

My read speeds are 60-90mb/s. Are there any special settings you used, or is that basically out of the box? Did you force 4k sector sizes? I didn't manually configure any of the network settings, so I'm wondering if that's it.

I'm getting these speeds over Samba/CIFS. Same for you?

My drives are not advanced format so it's using 512byte sectors. I've confirmed this using "diskinfo -v /dev/ada*" in the console. My settings are basically out of the box.

What hard drives are you using?

Also, maybe check your switch. I had an old lovely D-Link green 5 port gigabit switch that wouldn't allow speeds over 80MB/s before. I've since upgraded to a managed switch.

Edit: Also, yes this is through CIFS.

IT Guy fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 29, 2012

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

IT Guy posted:

My drives are not advanced format so it's using 512byte sectors. I've confirmed this using "diskinfo -v /dev/ada*" in the console. My settings are basically out of the box.

What hard drives are you using?

Also, maybe check your switch. I had an old lovely D-Link green 5 port gigabit switch that wouldn't allow speeds over 80MB/s before. I've since upgraded to a managed switch.

Edit: Also, yes this is through CIFS.

We have identical setups - I also have 4x2TB 7K3000 drives. I didn't enable the 4k option, either.

I check both "Large RW Support" and "Enable AIO" in the CIFS service options. Now I'm seeing bursts around 120mb/s. Average speeds are slightly up (~85mb/s read, ~70mb/s write).

It may be the switch - I have an 8 port DLink green. To be honest, this doesn't really bother me that much. These speeds are still 2-5x what I got with my Thecus NAS. I was just wondering if there was some quick fix setting I should change.

Fangs404 fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 29, 2012

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Fangs404 posted:

We have identical setups - I also have 4x2TB 7K3000 drives. I didn't enable the 4k option, either.

I check both "Large RW Support" and "Enable AIO" in the CIFS service options. Now I'm seeing bursts around 120mb/s. Average speeds are slightly up (~85mb/s read, ~70mb/s write).

It may be the switch - I have an 8 port DLink green. To be honest, this doesn't really bother me that much. These speeds are still 2-3x what I got with my Thecus NAS. I was just wondering if there was some quick fix setting I should change.

I would almost think it would be the switch because technically, you should be maxing out a single gigabit line.

I don't have AIO enabled but I do have Large RW support and the tests I've done with it have been a single 5GB file from start to finish. Also, I have Send files with sendfile(2) checked.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

IT Guy posted:

I would almost think it would be the switch because technically, you should be maxing out a single gigabit line.

I don't have AIO enabled but I do have Large RW support and the tests I've done with it have been a single 5GB file from start to finish. Also, I have Send files with sendfile(2) checked.

I do have Send files with sendfile(2) checked. I may look around and see if I can find a better switch just for the hell of it. What do you have?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Fangs404 posted:

I do have Send files with sendfile(2) checked. I may look around and see if I can find a better switch just for the hell of it. What do you have?

I bought this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122381

It's the cheapest managed switch I could find that supported port mirroring, LACP, VLANs and jumbo frames. I'm not going to say whether it's good or not because I've only had it for about 2 weeks. So far I've had zero issues with it. It can only be managed through a web interface and the web interface isn't very intuitive I find. However, it is only $90 for an 8 port managed gigabit switch, so...

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

IT Guy posted:

It's the cheapest managed switch I could find that supported port mirroring, LACP, VLANs and jumbo frames. I'm not going to say whether it's good or not because I've only had it for about 2 weeks. So far I've had zero issues with it. It can only be managed through a web interface and the web interface isn't very intuitive I find. However, it is only $90 for an 8 port managed gigabit switch, so...

Yeah, at that price, it's hard to beat, but $90 is a little over my budget right now. Maybe I'll setup a camelegg price alert on a few.

[edit]
I took a bunch of pictures while I was putting everything together, and I just created an Imgur album. Could be useful for anyone that needs to see some details without wanting to take it all apart.

http://imgur.com/a/zefOx

Fangs404 fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 29, 2012

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Fangs404 posted:

Yeah, at that price, it's hard to beat, but $90 is a little over my budget right now. Maybe I'll setup a camelegg price alert on a few.

[edit]
I took a bunch of pictures while I was putting everything together, and I just created an Imgur album. Could be useful for anyone that needs to see some details without wanting to take it all apart.

http://imgur.com/a/zefOx

I'm not sure if you noticed but there was also a whole line of screws on the bottom of the door that is visible in one of those pics. There is enough for 5 drives.

My drives came in OEM packaging so I thought I was hosed for the night until I was able to get some at work, but then I saw them.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

IT Guy posted:

I'm not sure if you noticed but there was also a whole line of screws on the bottom of the door that is visible in one of those pics. There is enough for 5 drives.

My drives came in OEM packaging so I thought I was hosed for the night until I was able to get some at work, but then I saw them.

Wow, holy poo poo. I can't believe I missed that too!

thideras
Oct 27, 2010

Fuck you, I'm a tree.
Fun Shoe

IT Guy posted:

I would suggest keeping an eye on eBay. I paid $30 shipped for a Dell Powerconnect 5224. All I had to do was replace a fan, which cost me $10.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I just got a free 8-bay CFI TeraTower with dual eSATA outputs for free from work since my boss thinks it may be failing and I have no idea what to do with it.

Give me good ideas so I don't feel bad about spending too much money on HDs for it.

Or just tell me to sell it.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

thideras posted:

I would suggest keeping an eye on eBay. I paid $30 shipped for a Dell Powerconnect 5224. All I had to do was replace a fan, which cost me $10.

That's amazing. I'm definitely gonna watch eBay now. Thanks for the advice.

This is how I setup SMART tests:

Short tests run nightly, and long tests run every 2 months. Does that make sense? Can the drives be used while the tests are running?

Fangs404 fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 30, 2012

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

These are my S.M.A.R.T. tests:

Short test every night at midnight.
Long test every monday at midnight.

You can still use the NAS while the tests are running.

Edit: now that I think about it, my smart schedule is going to run a short and long on monday, that's probably not ideal. I'm going to have to change this.

IT Guy fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Mar 30, 2012

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

IT Guy posted:

These are my S.M.A.R.T. tests:

Short test every night at midnight.
Long test every monday at midnight.

You can still use the NAS while the tests are running.

Edit: now that I think about it, my smart schedule is going to run a short and long on monday, that's probably not ideal. I'm going to have to change this.

Do you know how long the long test takes? I know the short test is on the order of a couple minutes, but the duration of the long test will probably determine how often I do them.

On a side note, I ordered an 8gb Kingston thumb drive on Amazon for $6, and it arrived today. I love how easy FreeNAS made migrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Fangs404 posted:

Do you know how long the long test takes? I know the short test is on the order of a couple minutes, but the duration of the long test will probably determine how often I do them.

On a side note, I ordered an 8gb Kingston thumb drive on Amazon for $6, and it arrived today. I love how easy FreeNAS made migrating.

On my Samsung 2TB F4EGs, the long test takes 255 minutes.