Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

What the loving gently caress is this. That song was awesome :psyduck: now I gotta listen to the album...

I have a feeling the reason Amia Venera Landscape (live clip, definitely worthwhile) are barely known is because when their album was finally released, it was the middle of December, so it missed out on being included on any best-of-2010 lists since those are almost always published in the first week or two of the month for some reason, instead of early January.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirp
May 16, 2007
Ex Lives is basically old ETID except done alot better. Typical Miracle really is the only New Junk Aesthetic sounding song on the album and it's definitely one of their best.

Revival Mode sucks though. It reminds me of that supergroup Keith was in, definitely not what ETID should be doing.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Nothing will be better than Last Night in Town... Underwater Bimbos and For the Record are two songs that come drat close but still

Dirp
May 16, 2007
More ETID, you really should check out Andy Williams' tumblr. He posts almost daily and is doing a weekly podcast just talking about stuff that happens on the tour and random dumb poo poo. He's really entertaining.

http://riffermadness.tumblr.com/

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Dirp posted:

Revival Mode sucks though. It reminds me of that supergroup Keith was in, definitely not what ETID should be doing.

I think Revival Mode is awesome. Hot drat! is my all-time favorite record, and I love ETID at their heaviest, but I can't deny how great Revival Mode sounds, and it seems like some of Keith's most personal stuff to date. I think this is a lot more natural an expanding of their sound than out-of-left-field stuff like DEP's Parasitic Twins and similar songs. And I'm surprised THIS is the song that is getting people's ire up, and not the, IMO, boring Indian Giver.

As for the Damned Things reference, I don't see the similarities at all. The only thing the two have in common is that Keith does clean singing instead of screaming (and even that changes by the end of the song) - the song styles are nothing alike. If The Damned Things were anything like Revival Mode, I would have liked them a lot better.

Some comparisons I feel are more valid:

Holy Book Of Dilemma - Some Girls
Typical Miracle - Poison The Well
Indian Giver - Cave In

No knocks against those bands, or those songs (Holy Book Of Dilemma and Typical Miracle are two of my favorites off the new CD), but those are the bands that pop into my head.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
This was the first ETID album I've liked in awhile. Took me by surprise for sure.

Bagsack
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a fucking lobster
Anyone checkout the new Float Face Down album?

It's streaming here: http://soundcloud.com/ampmagazine/sets/float-face-down-exitium-verum

I haven't been listening to too much 'core as of lately but thought this was kinda neat. The growled vocals are so ridiculously sloppy sounding that it makes the album pretty fun. It sounds like word diarrhea. His high's aren't as great though.

Dirp
May 16, 2007
ETID show was beyond amazing. Huge sold out crowd, people stage diving and crowd surfing nonstop. I've never raged harder in my life. Right before "No Son of Mine" Keith told everybody to get up and crowd surf when the song started and as I did a bouncer grabbed me by the neck and choked me unconscious. When I came to moments later he was shining a flashlight in my face screaming at me not to crowd surf so I immediately ran back and did it again.

Bullshitted with Legs and Steve right outside the theatre after the show for about 10 minutes before anyone else even recognized them. Got to meet all the other guys too. I was really surprised at how shy Keith was.

So yeah, go see ETID live.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I loving hate bouncers

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I've never had a bad run-in with a security guard/bouncer, but I always hear story's about them. Makes me wonder when this will actually happen to me :ohdear:

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

Bagsack posted:

Anyone checkout the new Float Face Down album?

It's streaming here: http://soundcloud.com/ampmagazine/sets/float-face-down-exitium-verum

I haven't been listening to too much 'core as of lately but thought this was kinda neat. The growled vocals are so ridiculously sloppy sounding that it makes the album pretty fun. It sounds like word diarrhea. His high's aren't as great though.

Wow, you weren't kidding. I started laughing (in a good way) as soon as the vocals began. It's like he's yelling through a mouthful of vomit. The music is pretty sweet too. I like it!

Dirp
May 16, 2007
Patton Oswalt's review of Ex Lives

quote:

Oh my goodness gracious!
Look, I like metalcore as much as the next guy. I own Linda Rondstat’s Heart Like A Wheel and nothing gets me more pumped than Journey’s “Open Arms” from the – you guessed it, fellow metalheads – Heavy Metal soundtrack.
So when the band Every Time I Die contacted me about reviewing their newest album, Ex Lives, I was very excited. If only for a chance to add some new songs to the “speedwalking playlist” on my iPod (you can only listen to Vanessa Carlton’s “A Thousand Miles” so many times, no matter how awesome it is!). They sent me the CD a week ago. I listened to it, and have finally collected my thoughts.
For some reason, the band decided not to record the album in a studio, but rather on a demolitions testing sight where 900 Samoan women were given PCP and told to gently caress goats over the sound of concrete being jackhammered. This is not a criticism – the metal-on-stone/goat ejaculating mix creates a mulchy, corpse-rich sonic soil on which the band builds its pulverizing guitar and drums attack. I say “pulverizing” because when I was halfway through the first track – the crazy-man-on-a-corner demon gospel rave-up “Underwater Bimbos from Outer Space” – I hit my scrotum with a rolling pin several times. I can’t remember now why I did it. Maybe it was Keith Buckley’s repeated howling of, “I want to be dead with my friends”, which is what I say before I eat pancakes.
Which is a pretty accurate way to describe this album, as a whole – screamed despair over a genuine stack of sweetness. For all their fury over the “devil’s blood” in “Typical Miracle”, the band is still polite enough to say, “Thanks, Lord…” before refusing any help from him on “Revival Mode.”
The guitar assault is delivered by Keith’s brother Jordan and Andy Williams (not the wonderful crooner who sang “Moon River”, but a younger guy; I checked). If Tetsuo, the Iron Man ever wrote lullabies, they’d sound a lot like the guitars on Ex Lives. The drums, by Ryan Ledger, are as urgent as GG Allin’s revived corpse, pounding its way out of a crypt.
Also, make sure you get the deluxe edition, so you get the bonus track “Business Casualty.” After listening to it twenty times, I finally got the courage to forgive Sylvester Stallone for Rhinestone.
On my Good News About Fred Durst Scale (a “1” being “Fred Gets A Slight Hangnail”) I give Ex Lives a “5” – or “Fred Durst Drowns in Nancy Grace’s Diarrhea.”

Dear Patton, please review more albums.

Bagsack
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a fucking lobster

Patton Oswalt posted:

On my Good News About Fred Durst Scale (a “1” being “Fred Gets A Slight Hangnail”) I give Ex Lives a “5” – or “Fred Durst Drowns in Nancy Grace’s Diarrhea.”

This sounds like a review done by a dangerously insane man.

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

~*fabulous*~
I don't know if that review is supposed to be positive or negative

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
So it is pretty clear this thread is targeted at newer melodic metalcore and deathcore which the metal fans abhor, but what about old metalcore like Acme and Rorschach? Or is that more for the hardcore thread?

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Oh god this is the best thing ever.

So this guy made a video sharing his opinion on why he doesn't like Periphery, and at 1 minute 13 seconds he imitates what he thinks their riffs sound like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHmKcpxAVDg&t=1m12s

Then, apparently, Veil of Maya did this thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqibIwo53RQ&hd=1

Sorry if this has been posted before by the way, I just think the fact that they did that is hilarious

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Kevin Bacon posted:

So this guy made a video sharing his opinion on why he doesn't like Periphery, and at 1 minute 13 seconds he imitates what he thinks their riffs sound like:

Sorry if this has been posted before by the way, I just think the fact that they did that is hilarious

I love that part of that song so much and I was wondering where it came from. Thanks for enlightening me!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Kevin Bacon posted:

"duh-jent"

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Thank you Kevin Bacon, I heard the Veil song the other day and that part is hilarious and now I know where it's from. I like it when bands add silly poo poo like that.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Kevin Bacon posted:

Oh gently caress, that's pretty awesome. I was wondering where that came from (I assumed it was a movie or something) :v:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Kevin Bacon posted:

This is awesome hahahaha.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
here is the first real song from my band Contacting Nebulas. it is called "Meteor Swarm". I think it's an okay fit for this thread! tell me what you think!

http://contactingnebulas.bandcamp.com/

Bagsack
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a fucking lobster
I really enjoyed it man! I thought the vocals were definitely the most impressive aspect of that song. The guitars felt a bit weird and out of the groove at a few places during the heavier wankery. It must feel good to get something of that quality of recording! keep it up.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

Bagsack posted:

I really enjoyed it man! I thought the vocals were definitely the most impressive aspect of that song. The guitars felt a bit weird and out of the groove at a few places during the heavier wankery. It must feel good to get something of that quality of recording! keep it up.

Thanks! Yeah, I'm not very happy with some of my guitarwork (although some of it is supposed to sound off-kilter), I'm particularly unhappy with the end riff, but oh well! That song was pretty new when we recorded it. I enjoy the rawness of the recording a lot though even if it means the playing isn't as proficient and clean. I'm happier with the other songs on our EP coming this week!

the Bunt fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 24, 2012

MMMCCLI
Apr 24, 2009
New Emmure

Please don't turn this into "HURRR EMMURE"

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Hey guys the new God Forbid album absolutely loving slays. Go listen to it ASAP

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
Yes I agree the new God Forbid tape owns. It's way better than their last one.

HOWEVER THIS IS MORE IMPORTANT,,,,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHHJF2cUwyY

brother,

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Owns owns owns.
Although what's with the title? Isn't that like a racist catchphrase?

MMMCCLI
Apr 24, 2009

krustster posted:

HOWEVER THIS IS MORE IMPORTANT,,,,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHHJF2cUwyY

brother,

Definitely an improvement on The Here and Now, Devil's Island and this song have got me really excited about the full album!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

A5H posted:

Owns owns owns.
Although what's with the title? Isn't that like a racist catchphrase?

It's a patriotic United States phrase, usually referring to the red white and blue colors of the flag.

the dad farm
Dec 6, 2005

I saw that Architects video the other day, poo poo goes hard.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

krustster posted:

I liked Earthsblood, but yeah this is just vintage God Forbid. The production is also much better than Earthsblood (which I found a little weak).

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Goddamn that Architects song owns

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Assuming it also has Devil's Island on it, that tape may very well turn out to be the best of 2012. I'm so roasted.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

I never really got into them before hearing that song. Are any of their other CDs like that/must owns?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

krustster posted:

Assuming it also has Devil's Island on it, that tape may very well turn out to be the best of 2012. I'm so roasted.

Gonna be hard to dethrone the tie between the new ETID and Enter Shikari albums...

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Goddamn that Architects song owns

gently caress it makes me want to mosh almost as much as Early Grave does.

and no song makes me want to mosh like Early Grave

MMMCCLI
Apr 24, 2009

Traitorous Leopard posted:

I never really got into them before hearing that song. Are any of their other CDs like that/must owns?

Hollow Crown is my favorite of the previous albums but Nightmares and Ruin are solid. The Here and Now isn't bad, it's just not nearly as good as the others.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

XIII posted:

Gonna be hard to dethrone the tie between the new ETID and Enter Shikari albums...

What the heck? The enter shikari album is awful. It's also not metalcore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

A5H posted:

What the heck? The enter shikari album is awful. It's also not metalcore.

Different strokes for different folks. And I was just saying it's one of my favorite albums of the year.